!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Milliedale-on-Sea - Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside  (Read 17057 times)

Rabbitaway and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Milliedale-on-Sea - Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside
« Reply #255 on: July 15, 2020, 09:11:18 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Black Lamb and I got out on the mountain bike and tag-along (like a half bike that tows behind mine) including some off road sections of the ride a couple of days ago and today, courtesy of Mr Metcalfe and the Locoshed in Manchester we have a Scout hut for Milliedale on Sea I ordered this kit a couple of days before my mum went into hospital.

As you can see, Chesh is inspecting it  :smiley-laughing:

I had also started Smart Models Annfield Co-Op which may find some attention given to it in August while my in-laws are here and I can't readily get into the railway room.
No rushing though as I'm running out of space to put buildings until the railway baseboard is ready!!!!

I'll be AWOL for a couple of weeks, don't worry, all is well, just very busy.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #256 on: July 16, 2020, 09:25:35 AM »
well, that's odd, the photo was the correct way up last night...

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: July 16, 2020, 09:35:52 AM »

The Earth's gone round since then, it's on Aussie time now  :laugh3:

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: July 16, 2020, 09:37:47 AM »

It still is for me.  Have you got your chair the wrong way up? :D

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: July 16, 2020, 10:21:36 AM »
All good here in Wollongong  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: July 16, 2020, 10:38:16 AM »

The Earth's gone round since then, it's on Aussie time now  :laugh3:
All good here in Wollongong  ;D

Like I said  :claphappy:

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2020, 10:17:47 AM »
So, on my work computer in Chrome it's the right way up, my own computer in Safari, it's the wrong way up, nothing to do with how much Black Sheep I've consumed...

...Speaking of Black Sheep, had a couple last night and seem to have ordered a pair of Fleicshmann Profi 9545 NEM couplings, we'll see if this is the coupling system I've been looking for.

I've tried Dapol's but found it slews the wagons too much to work reliably (short wagons seem to be the problem) so I can have good smooth coupling up, or good smooth uncoupling or moderate combination of the two. I've never got delayed uncoupling to work!

I've tried DG couplings, struggle to create the loops and fit to stock (although I'm nearly there with the latter)

I've tried Spratt and Winkle but there isn't much space for the counterbalance and I've not tried modifying it to fit.

Perhaps this is the quick and easy, but slightly more expensive option...    ...or money I could have spent on another wagon!

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: August 02, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »
So, on my work computer in Chrome it's the right way up, my own computer in Safari, it's the wrong way up

It's worth mentioning that I'm viewing in Safari on my 'pooter when I say it's the right way up!  Life's so much easier with these 'pooters :D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2020, 11:22:58 AM »

...Speaking of Black Sheep, had a couple last night and seem to have ordered a pair of Fleicshmann Profi 9545 NEM couplings, we'll see if this is the coupling system I've been looking for.

I look forward to hearing about/seeing the results.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: August 02, 2020, 11:47:01 AM »
How does the uncoupling system work.  Is it mechanical or magnetic?  Please let us know how you get on.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #265 on: August 02, 2020, 03:57:51 PM »
How does the uncoupling system work.  Is it mechanical or magnetic?  Please let us know how you get on.

It's mechanical done with ramps similar to how Rapido ones are meant to work with a little ramp lifting the couplings up by the little pegs on the underside. The Fleichmann ones supposedly offer delayed uncoupling and apparently you can modify them to work magnetically (how long before I launch a wagon up off the rails :D ?

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: August 02, 2020, 04:13:18 PM »
modify them to work magnetically (how long before I launch a wagon up off the rails :D ?

I did that this morning, too strong a magnet and too light a wagon - sheet lead on order  :D

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #267 on: August 02, 2020, 04:15:14 PM »
modify them to work magnetically (how long before I launch a wagon up off the rails :D ?

I did that this morning, too strong a magnet and too light a wagon - sheet lead on order  :D

I've got an A3 sheet that came off the roof when I had the boiler vent capped after we'd re-located the boiler

Should see me for a few years unless I go 0 Gauge  :smiley-laughing:

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: August 02, 2020, 04:23:54 PM »

I've got an A3 sheet that came off the roof when I had the boiler vent capped after we'd re-located the boiler

Handy. I haven't so had to order some.

Some of the wagon kits I've been building are designed to go on the Peco 10' chassis kits, but don't have a depression on the underside to accommodate the Peco steel weight, so the weight has to be discarded and the locating pips cut off. Since the weight's got to go inboard of the brakes, cutting the steel sheets down would reduce the weight so I decided to go down the lead route.

One of the kits, a Bogie Bolster, doesn't even use the Peco chassis but has very short wheelbase bogies so definitely needs more weight - however it has even less clear width underneath due to having four underframe braces.

Should see me for a few years unless I go 0 Gauge  :smiley-laughing:

LOL  :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:26:15 PM by chrism »

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #269 on: August 06, 2020, 03:42:29 PM »
So, the Profi couplings have arrived, think it was 9 a pair although you can get bulk packs of about 50 which brings the price aproximately in line with the Dapol knuckles.

The coach is fitted with the Profi in the NEM slot, the Ivatt has the standard N gauge Rapido we all know and despise.

The Profi is intended to be operated by coupling ramps to uncouple, complete with a pre-uncoupling action.

The pin on the underside is pushed up, which causes the hook on top to be lifted clear of the latch allowing uncoupling, however if the two vehicles are not moved apart but are continued to be pushed, then you can shunt and move away whenever you please - in theory.

My plan is to attach a 0.5mm x 1mm magnet to the underside of this pin so that I can repel the magnet with an under-board electro magnet allowing the coupling to be activated when I wish in set locations.

I am going to look into the possibility of fixed ramps in some locations, such as the terminus station.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal