!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Milliedale-on-Sea - Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside  (Read 13526 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Milliedale-on-Sea - Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »
I think Gary's suggestion would allow you to have scenery both above and below the raised track.

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2019, 12:42:38 PM »
I think Gary's suggestion would allow you to have scenery both above and below the raised track.

As I understand it, Gary is suggesting modify the flat boards to be as though I'd designed it as open frame, I should have done this from the start and had the frames of the board incorporate the risers, but I needed to boards to plan the layout on so I'm working a bit heath robinson having the main board at sea level and building everything on top.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #227 on: December 22, 2019, 10:38:15 PM »
Christmas is upon us once again, and as usual Milliedale-on-Sea is pretty much shut up for the winter season, still it makes it easier to find a seat in one of the many pubs, especially the 'Old Cobblers' where Chesh is sleeping on top of the piano despite the enthusiastic playing (and singing) of carols,

It's a time when we remember those not with us anymore and people who we simply don't get to see and plan for the future.

On a personal level, I'm doing better, family life is good and I'm starting to push myself back out into social situations, work still has it's moments, but, onwards, over the past couple of months I've built a downstairs toilet, a fair bit of finishing off to be done, and done a lot of work on sorting a spare room, hopefully I'll be able to find time to have a pint or two in the 'Old Cobblers' and get some work done on the layout!!!!

Have a good Christmas everyone!

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: January 08, 2020, 09:36:34 PM »
The new year is upon us, I've spent my modelling time over Christmas and New Year building Metcalfe kits for my mum's planned 009 layout - I'm amazed at how big the buildings are!

Need to get on with the baseboards to have somewhere to actually put my buildings for Milliedale 0 on Sea as I've run out of shelf space.

I've decided, to track a bit of progress I'll take a New Years photo each year (probably a few in between as well) showing an overview of the layout.

You can see how easily the layout room gets annexed when the in-laws come to stay as we need to do some sorting!

Chesh is sat near the raised section I was working on over the late summer / autumn

so, welcome to 2020, hopefully get some track laid and some trains running this year!

:A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2020, 07:52:27 AM »
Many thanks for the updates. Good to read that things are progressing well for you. I hope that you had a good Christmas. Photos of Milliedale's progress are always very welcome.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
Well, Chesh is happy, I've made it up into the loft with a bit of enthusiasm.

It looks little different, but it's screwed in place currently, it'll come apart and be glued and screwed (currently debating if being able to get the section off at a later date is worth the faff or not)

Bracing is mapped out on the top ready to drill and screw in place

Just need to cut into the board (yikes) for access for point motors etc - just small access bits or, cut to be open frame?

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2020, 09:23:40 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
     Very neat woodwork, well done sir   :thumbsup:
         regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: February 12, 2020, 08:51:41 AM »
That looks terrific.  Thank you for the fascinating photographs.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: February 12, 2020, 10:05:50 AM »
I'm assuming that the first couple of pics are the station area?

Seems a shame to go to all the trouble of open frame construction and then cover it with flat baseboard.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: February 12, 2020, 12:25:07 PM »
I'm assuming that the first couple of pics are the station area?

Seems a shame to go to all the trouble of open frame construction and then cover it with flat baseboard.

It's actually the marshalling yard across the back of the layout (the boards have been in the room backwards for some time now) so most of this area is a fan of sidings, we're looking towards the depot area

I'd not finalised the track plan when I ordered the boards so the Tim Horn boards were purchased as flat top boards and I'm now building a raised super-structure on top to carry the trackbed.

Hopefully get the top fitted and the adjacent sections built, then we can start to lay some track!!!!!!!!  :D

These are the largest sections to build with the most complex and condensed bits of trackwork which is why I've chosen to do them first.

I've marked the current section in red on the trackplan, the area to the right of this is the section in the photo beyond where I've been working, Chesh is sat in the goods yard .

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal