!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Faller Road System  (Read 2098 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Faller Road System
« on: December 16, 2016, 01:54:23 AM »
My (early) Christmas present to myself arrived yesterday - the Faller Car Set 162007. I brought it to work with me, thinking I would have a quick play test. Everything you could need is in the box, crash barriers, road markings, filler, road paint, as well as the powered lorry and charger. So I look at the charger - "Oh dear me", or words to that effect thinks I, the charger comes with a 2 pin plug and of course, I didn't happen to have an adapter with me :doh:. So I am reading the instructions and they state that the lorry must be run first until the battery is drained, then it can be charged. So I stick one of the two rolls of provided guide wire to the worktop in a long loop, (about 10 feet in length), with a few bits of sellotape, switched the lorry on, (little switch underneath), placed it on the guide wire and ........ nothing. It was then that I realised that the magnet was stuck to the guide wire   :-[. So I then stuck pieces of printer paper over the guide wire and tried again - success  :thumbsup:. I have put quite a few bends in the guide wire, the smallest being about 3.5 inches in diameter and the lorry is happily coping with it all. I would think this will be an excellent addition to the layout, once it is set up with a proper road. The lorry, after about 2 hours, is still merrily following the guide wire, (hope the battery runs down before about 6am!!). I have not timed the speed of the lorry, but, to me eye, it seems about right. So the point of this review is just to let you know how pleased I am with the system and, if anyone is debating about acquiring a Faller set up - go for it!  :beers:
Incidentally, the printing on the lorry is in German, so a repaint job - when I get more proficient in that side of things.  :uneasy:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:57:28 AM by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Faller Road System
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 03:00:16 AM »
Sounds really cool! I've only ever seen the system on a layout once (apart from that awesome setup in Hamburg), and was very impressed. It certainly adds to the atmosphere.

Keep us informed!  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »
I've seen the system used on several exhibition layouts, but the operators took it to be 'something in motion' as an excuse for not running trains, which I had gone to the exhibition to see :unimpressed:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »
Interesting. Like "let's concentrate on the road working rather than trains."
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:13:52 AM »
Yeah - it was a bit "we're not running trains but you can't moan there's nothing happening" ::)

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
Yeah - it was a bit "we're not running trains but you can't moan there's nothing happening" ::)

Modelling the rail replacement bus service, perhaps?  :D

When I saw Tormouth (I think, it was the layout belonging to OnlyMe of this forum) his moving bus and lorry attracted more attention than the trains.  But in that case there was plenty of movement on the rails as well as on the road.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
I'd advocate this if no one has seen it yet, I've used both Faller & Tomix in the past and this setu allows you to move anything from bikes to all oxford diecast models etc...

https://www.magnorail.com/site/en/our-products/

PS as John rightly says, Tormouth uses TOMIX as and NOT Faller because IMO faller vehicles have the magnet protruding from the front whilst Tomix keeps them hidden :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:27:41 PM by Only Me »

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »
I agree that Magnorail has great potential Paul. I had intended to include Magnorail in my in-build layout but ran out of space. With some selective control it is possible to disguise the fact that everything on the same belt is moving at the same speed. Come to think of it simulating the queue of London buses in Oxford Street would be well-suited to Magnorail. Just need to find a way for pedestrians to cross the road between vehicles.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
I'd advocate this if no one has seen it yet, I've used both Faller & Tomix in the past and this setu allows you to move anything from bikes to all oxford diecast models etc...

https://www.magnorail.com/site/en/our-products/

PS as John rightly says, Tormouth uses TOMIX as and NOT Faller because IMO faller vehicles have the magnet protruding from the front whilst Tomix keeps them hidden :)

Is it really that good? ??? Im thinking now

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »
Yep its going onto our new twenty foot layout..

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 05:00:44 PM »
I have purchased the Magnorail system - 2 Starter sets allowing me 8 vehicles for now. I am not ready to install it yet but was drawn to the simplicity of the magnet system. I intend to try to add a few more vehicles eventually by experimenting with some cheaper magnets I acquired. I really think it is a great addition to see road vehicles moving as well as the trains. I live in hopes that they eventually manage to produce an N gauge version of the pedaling cyclist which I think is amazing. I am sure the Faller system is fine but lacks the period vehicles for my era of around the late 50's and early 60's. I only wish I had bought it before the pound dropped against the Euro.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:12:25 PM by Delboy »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »
Browsing a few videos and noticed some with cars seemingly driving themselves and stopping at traffic lights, level crossings and stop signs, they even have turn indicators and police have flashing lights, further investigation reveals this to be the Faller Car System, it appears to look good and adds a lot to a layout, however it also is reportedly expensive, in this hobby expense is something we all know about,

so my question is does anyone have hands in experience with it and does it justify the cost?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:01:49 PM by Railwaygun, Reason: Faller »
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 07:56:33 PM »
Most of what you are seeing is HO scale (1:87), very clever, quite expensive.

They do some N Scale bus and lorry sets and Tomytec do a Moving Bus system, which is very similar.

I am currently developing some 3D printed bodies, to allow UK outline models to move with Tomytec mechanisms.

There is also a thread on the forum from a guy doing N and Z gauge vehicles.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »
Browsing a few videos and noticed some with cars seemingly driving themselves and stopping at traffic lights, level crossings and stop signs, they even have turn indicators and police have flashing lights, further investigation reveals this to be the Faller Car System, it appears to look good and adds a lot to a layout, however it also is reportedly expensive, in this hobby expense is something we all know about,

so my question is does anyone have hands in experience with it and does it justify the cost?

a search on "Faller car system " in Entire Forum " finds many references including

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35600.msg417208#msg417208
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 08:38:15 PM »
This is a short video of the NTrain truck and bus using Tomytec chassis. The last few seconds show the need for an anti-collision system.

Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything