!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 58281 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #645 on: June 28, 2019, 08:21:24 PM »
As I'm the world's least superstitious person, I'm completely unqualified to comment.  But, I'll risk a suggestion.  Obtain a brace of 'A1'/'A3' 'Pacifics'.  That way, you'll go direct from 12 to 14!

Unfortunately, that would require to very rare commodities; suitable donor locomotives and money to purchase them with!  :smiley-laughing:

It's taken nine years to get to this point, so I'm in no rush. Besides, I have a load of other locomotives to build in the meantime...

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #646 on: June 29, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »
Spearmint's tender got masked up and a coat of matt black today. The masking was done using Tamiya masking tape for the bulk of the tender and Humbrol Maskol for the curved bulkhead edges at the front and rear of the tender. 

I'll give the tender a coat of Ronseal gloss varnish using the airbrush tomorrow before turning my attention to lining it. This lining job will be a little more difficult than normal, as I'll be trying to match the finish of the Dapol applied livery on the loco. Once I've finished, I'll give the tender a coat of satin varnish to try and tie to the loco and tender together.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #647 on: July 07, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
After several days building the first of a pair of Prestwins (see: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=44900.60 ), I finally dig out my bow pen and started to line out the corridor tender for Spearmint.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #648 on: July 08, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »
In case anyone is interested (or hasn't fallen asleep with boredom yet!), here is my current toolkit for lining, along with the tender.

The key bit is a Haff bow compass, on which I have replaced the point with a piece of brass wire, with the end rounded off. The reason for this is so that I can use the wire to guide the pen around curves, such as the back of the tender. For straight lines the ruler is used, upside down as the markings do actually affect the travel of the pen. A thick paint (far to thick to brush paint with) is used to get both the concentration of the pigments, and sufficient surface tension to keep everything in place once it has left the pen. A thinner paint would likely have the base colour showing through and would be more likely to want to "run" over the surface of the model.

I have two brushes, one for painting in the corners of the lining (kept in best condition) and one for cleaning up any mistakes (one that is no longer good enough for lining work). The pot contains white spirit with which I moisten the "cleaning brush" and then wipe most of it off onto a kitchen towel. The brush is then used to careful manipulate or remove excess paint, periodically cleaning it on the kitchen towel.

Is sounds complicated but, once the knack has been learnt, I find it easier than applying transfers for single lines.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: July 08, 2019, 12:43:49 PM »
Definitely not asleep yet :)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #650 on: July 08, 2019, 11:16:02 PM »
OK Steve, you've grabbed my attention again.
I'm not sure I understand how you 'use the blunted point of the brass wire to guide the pen round.'

Any chance of a video of you doing the lining?

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #651 on: July 08, 2019, 11:26:20 PM »
OK Steve, you've grabbed my attention again.
I'm not sure I understand how you 'use the blunted point of the brass wire to guide the pen round.'

Any chance of a video of you doing the lining?

Hi Kirky,

I can't do a video but below is the video I learnt from. Skip to 2 hours 38 minutes to see how this is done. To be honest, the whole video is well worth watching.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #652 on: July 09, 2019, 07:59:37 AM »
Thanks for that Steve. I actually have a copy of that DVD, but haven't watched it for years.
I get the need of the blunt brass wire now. Very clever indeed.
However, the examples shown are on massively Oversized models. Really, how how difficult is it to line out in this fashion in 2 mil? For me I'm strictly a decals man. Lining is just way too difficult in such a small scale.
Credence to you for going for it!

Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #653 on: July 09, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »
Most impressive stuff. Total thumbs up.  :admiration: :admiration:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #654 on: July 09, 2019, 09:21:06 AM »
Thanks for that Steve. I actually have a copy of that DVD, but haven't watched it for years.
I get the need of the blunt brass wire now. Very clever indeed.
However, the examples shown are on massively Oversized models. Really, how how difficult is it to line out in this fashion in 2 mil? For me I'm strictly a decals man. Lining is just way too difficult in such a small scale.

I guess it is horses for courses. Like any modelling technique, it takes time to learn and develop the skill.

Personally, I wouldn't use decals for single lines anymore. I find it quicker to use the bow pen and paint in the corners. Yes, this still takes time, but generally far less than I would spend trying to get lining decals straight. The down side is when dealing with multiple colours, and the need to wait for each separate colour to dry before progress to the next colour.

For triple lining, such as boiler bands, I still use decals but paint themself. I use a slightly different technique to Ian here as I spray the decal sheet in the colour of the outer lines and the rule in the inner line once the first colour is dry. I then place a ruler against the inner line and use a curved scalpel blade to cut out the bits I want. With practice, some very fine lines result. One advantage of this is cost, as it costs around 5 for two A5 size modellers decal sheets - compared to the cost of, say, Fox.

Here are some examples of my past efforts.

This N2 was one of my first lining attempts and is a little messy in places. I used Humbrol gloss red for this but now tend to use maroon as it gives a better "scale" effect. The boiler bands on this one were made from tape and really were a faff and have since lost their stick.

A more recent effort was the V1. Lined in maron for the body and a very light grey for the buffer beams. The boiler bands were done using painted decal sheet.

The BR V3 was lined in the same way but with the red lining being added a day after the grey.

The County. For the orange lines, I used Humbrol gloss tan with a little red added to it. This is Ian's advice and I think it gives a more pleasing appearance than the bright orange used on many decals and RTR models.

The D49 and A3 were a mix of hand lining and Fox Transfers for the boiler bands and tender. Dapol made the boiler bands on the A3 slightly narrow which made convincing the thin boiler band decals to conform to them a real pig!

Personally, I think the overall effect on the hand lined C1 is finer - although there are a coupleading fittings I'd do differently on the next one. Again, the white is actually a very light grey and the red is actually maroon.

As I said above, it is really a case of horse for courses. That said, if you don't try, then you won't find out.

Finilly,  Ian Rathbone does do painthe and line 2mm stuff as well. To have a look at a true master of this, take a look here: http://www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk/gallery-4---other-scales.php

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:47:35 AM by Stevie DC (formerly Atso) »

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #655 on: July 09, 2019, 10:07:20 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Stunning work" Steve :jawdropping:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #656 on: July 09, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »
I liked the way you said "it's complicated, but OK when you get the hang of it"

:thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #657 on: July 09, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Stunning work" Steve :jawdropping:

Thanks Mick.  :-[

I liked the way you said "it's complicated, but OK when you get the hang of it"

You've pretty much got it. I would say that most things in life are complicated until you get the hang of it though.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:51:52 AM by Stevie DC (formerly Atso) »

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #658 on: July 09, 2019, 06:42:16 PM »

A more recent effort was the V1. Lined in maron for the body and a very light grey for the buffer beams. The boiler bands were done using painted decal sheet.

Thanks for the video link Steve.

These are amazing examples of lining out in our scale. I've several Peckett body shells to line out, so will now try bow pens, having more or less pushed printed decals as far as I can.

The V1 has some brass makers' plates - are these painted on, or etched brass?

Mike
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:52:52 AM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #659 on: July 09, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »
Thanks for the video link Steve. These are amazing examples of lining out in our scale. I've several Peckett body shells to line out, so will now try bow pens, having more or less pushed decals as far as I can.

The V1 has some brass makers' plates - are these painted on, or etched brass?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. It can be a very satisfying technique to use, but as Ian said in the video, it takes practice, perseverance and patience to get good results. Get hold of an old loco body and practice on that before having a go on a model.

The makers plates on the V1 at part of the print and painted during the lining stage using Humbrol brass and a good quality OO size artists brush.

Hope this helps.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything