!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 50065 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #630 on: June 19, 2019, 11:11:07 PM »
I'm watching Gods create. :admiration:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #631 on: June 20, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »

The Westinghouse pump was lined using decal paper. I sprayed a small area with Precision gloss LNER Doncaster Green and ruled on the white lines once dry.

Thank you Steve - that's a breakthrough revelation for me. I've spent so many hours trying to print colours in decals that match paintwork. Paint the decal sheet. Yes, of course - doh!

Mike

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #632 on: June 20, 2019, 12:05:53 PM »
Thanks guys.

I'm watching Gods create. :admiration:

Indeed, Ian Rathbone is pretty much the top of the tree as far as painting and lining goes - we mere mortals can only watch and do our best to emulate.

Thank you Steve - that's a breakthrough revelation for me. I've spent so many hours trying to print colours in decals that match paintwork. Paint the decal sheet. Yes, of course - doh!

Mike

I'm really glad that is helpful Mike. However, if you'll looking to print over the top of a painted detail, I'm not sure how well the printed bits will come out. Mike Trice, on RMWeb, converted a Bachmann "Emily" into a Stirling Single a few years back (before Rapido did theirs). He used an inkjet printer to make his decals and simply sprayed a piece of plastic the correct colour and scanned it into his computer to get a good match to the painted surfaces. The thread can be found below and is a very interesting read.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94209-emily-laid-bare-a-stirling-effort/page/10/

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #633 on: June 20, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
Thanks Steve. I found a mobile phone app - "1 Pantone Color" that reports Pantone/RGB/CMYK codes for an image taken by the phone's camera. Trouble was, my cheap printer couldn't match it without half-toning (dotted effect), which was too noticeable, I felt.

Mike

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #634 on: June 20, 2019, 12:38:40 PM »
Ok, next up is a Flying Scotsman in preserved condition that I was asked to look at, fix and detail. This has been a rather annoying and taxing project to date but I'm determined to get it sorted out and back to its owner (who I feel very sorry for). The locomotive was purchased second hand and came with the wrong (GNR type) tender and a set of valve gear that tied itself in knots the first time the new owner tried to run it.

Some inspection showed that somebody has previously tried to replace the valve gear but had broken the metal prongs that located the original valve gear on the running plate. They had then simply placed the new valve gear over this which, as a result, couldn't sit properly, and used super glue to hold it in place. I doubt that the loco was run after this as there was no way there was sufficient clearance to stop the whole lot binding up, mangling itself and breaking the glue joint. I managed to remove and straighten the valve gear but had to cut the prongs off to get it to sit close enough to the running plate and had to epoxy it in place. Also, when I started to disassemble the model, the center splashers on both sides came away from the running plate - inspection of these strongly suggested that somebody had removed these in the past.

The correct corridor tender has proven very difficult to source. When I agreed to the project, I knew of another suitable FS that was being advertised for sale which I purchased to use as a donor to sort out the first one. Unfortunately when it arrived, I found that it was a BR version in the LNER version's box and had to send it back. Ultimately, I agreed to a spare chassis unit and LNER green boiler as a suitable replacement. However, while this came with a corridor tender, it was unpainted and missing several bits to complete it - which I am still trying to source all of.

Finally, an opportunity to purchase a cheap "non-runner" (it runs fine) FS with smoke deflectors has yielded the correct corridor tender. I've more or less finished detailing the original loco and put everything back together to (successfully) test run. However, it was at this point this morning when I noticed that the number on the buffer beam was 2744 (Grand Parade) so I've had to carefully paint this out and will renumber tomorrow.

Given that the locomotive displays a lot of evidence that it has been taken apart before, I do not believe that this is how the locomotive left the factory and I feel really sorry for the owner on initially getting such a complete lemon. However, the end is in sight now, I just hope that it doesn't throw up any more surprises for me!

The second picture shows my effort to line out the cartazzi truck and tender frames. I've had to lighten the photo again to get this to come out, it is actually more noticeable in real life....

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #635 on: June 20, 2019, 02:37:32 PM »
Not really my choice of green but another piece of outstanding work, Steve :admiration:

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #636 on: June 20, 2019, 06:21:03 PM »
Thanks Mick.

Next up is A1 2562 "Isinglass".

This one has been converted into A1 condition by sanding off the superheater header covers and converting to right hand drive. You can see where I've patch painted the boiler (50/50 mix of Precision gloss and matt LNER Doncaster Green), after filling in the holes left from removing the pipe from the boiler and transplanting it to the other side. This should disappear when I get around to weathering the loco and, other than this, the paint job is mainly Dapol's with my usual alterations. I've also just noticed that I haven't transplanted the reversing rods to the other side of the locomotive yet - I've just packed the loco away so it'll have to come back out tomorrow.  :doh:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 06:23:17 PM by Stevie DC (formerly Atso) »

Offline HurricaneTich

• N Gauge Society Number: 22032
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #637 on: June 20, 2019, 09:02:33 PM »
I hope you realise just how much of an inspiration your projects are!  I have a Dapol Western in primer awaiting its Golden Ochre colours and up to now have been a bit aprehensive to carry on (I don't want to ruin it!).  Seeing the various things you've done is actually helping to give a bit of confidence to have a go.

I am also very much looking forward to further updates about the County (especially with the DJM King now seemingly gone).

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #638 on: June 20, 2019, 11:27:55 PM »
I hope you realise just how much of an inspiration your projects are!  I have a Dapol Western in primer awaiting its Golden Ochre colours and up to now have been a bit aprehensive to carry on (I don't want to ruin it!).  Seeing the various things you've done is actually helping to give a bit of confidence to have a go.

I am also very much looking forward to further updates about the County (especially with the DJM King now seemingly gone).

Thank you very much. It is nice to know that people take inspiration from my bodging, especially as I'm not feeling very inspired myself at the moment. For true inspiration, have a look at Dr Al's or The Brighton's threads - those guy work with surgical precision to my "hammer and nails" methods.

With regard to your Western, the only thing I can say is that those who have never messed anything up probably haven't built or learnt anything. Look at it this way, if you don't paint it, it'll sit around forever in primer and never get run anyway - what do you have to lose? I'm mucked up plenty of (most) things but, with experience, I've gotten better at rescuing them from disaster.

Re County: At the moment, I'm not really in any fit state to continue with trying to make a living out of selling kits. In time, I hope that I'll feel differently and be able to deal with daily things - sadly that time isn't now.

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #639 on: June 21, 2019, 07:36:44 AM »
Steve you have certainly inspired me, I picked up a drafting set from E Bay,(looks old but very good quality) for the princely sum of eleven pounds forty pence, and had a go at my Q2 fine lining,tender frames etc. It's a great improvement on the waterslide transfers,much more control,(Nick tilston approves).Next on the list will be a Union Mills J39 by way of practice,If I muck it up well,it's nothing a little White Spirit won't put right ,after all failure is just part of the learning curve.             Bill

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #640 on: June 21, 2019, 07:47:00 AM »

With regard to your Western, the only thing I can say is that those who have never messed anything up probably haven't built or learnt anything. Look at it this way, if you don't paint it, it'll sit around forever in primer and never get run anyway - what do you have to lose? I'm mucked up plenty of (most) things but, with experience, I've gotten better at rescuing them from disaster.

Agree 100%.  I have ruined many perfectly good models over the years: the first one was a Triang Class 31 which I tried weathering, aged ten. I showed it to my Mum and she just said "What on earth have you done to that?"You can learn a certain amount by reading and watching others, but the only way you are going to develop your skills is to tackle jobs you haven't done before, and be prepared to fail sometimes. Most mistakes are fixable anyway.

Richard

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #641 on: June 28, 2019, 05:59:07 PM »
Continuing (still!!!!) with the Gresley A1/A3 theme.

A1 2568 Sceptre. This one is a bit of a mashup of parts. The boiler and tender are spare Grand Parade parts while the footplate and chassis are spares from a BR liveried exampled. I had some spare apple green driving wheels but had to repaint and line the bogie wheels and splashers. I've just lined out and numbered the front buffer beam but the cylinders and cartazzi truck need lining before this one goes back together.

While still named Flying Scotsman, this one will become 2796 Spearmint, and again it's been assembled from various spare parts. The footplate/chassis is a spare from DCC for a preserved FS. I've removed the plaques on the center splashers but have yet to remove the warning flashes from the front of the running plate. The tender came as a black body (with some broken handrails) which has been repaired, modified into an approximation of a corridor tender in 1928-36 condition (filing back the steamline faring) and painted in Doncaster Green using my airbrush. I've still got to purchase some more parts for this one before I can complete it; notably a corridor connector and cab backhead.

Getting these out of the way will bring my backlog of Gresley A1/A3s down to finishing Great Northern and a 1935 build that I've not decided on the identity of yet.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #642 on: June 28, 2019, 07:14:59 PM »
Absolutely excellent, Steve.

The famous Spearmint!  In later years 'Toram Beg's'* locomotive.

Best wishes.

John

* The pen name of Driver Norman McKillop of Haymarket.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #643 on: June 28, 2019, 07:25:11 PM »
Absolutely excellent, Steve.

The famous Spearmint!  In later years 'Toram Beg's'* locomotive.

* The pen name of Driver Norman McKillop of Haymarket.

I'm glad you approve John!  :)

The choice of this locomotive is a complete accident I'm afraid though. Originally this one was going to become The White Knight complete with A.C.F.I. feed-water heating. However, when I found out that Harvester lost its corridor tender in 1928, I needed another A3 so fitted. Somebody gave me a set of plates for Spearmint years ago, which I'd long forgotten about but found today. Being a Haymarket locomotive, it'll be a nice contrast to my model of A1 Flying Scotsman for hauling the Flying Scotsman set (when I build it!).

However, this does mean that I need to source another LNER A3 to eventually turn into The White Knight. However, this will bring the total to thirteen A1/A3s and, being a superstitious chap, that'll never do!  ;D

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #644 on: June 28, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »
As I'm the world's least superstitious person, I'm completely unqualified to comment.  But, I'll risk a suggestion.  Obtain a brace of 'A1'/'A3' 'Pacifics'.  That way, you'll go direct from 12 to 14!

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations