!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 49881 times)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #615 on: June 04, 2019, 11:01:20 AM »
A general point on STL files etc.

I only use STL files as the means of exporting my designs, before that I work in the native structures of my CAD.  In my case that is NURBS which is designing with surfaces.

When I export to STL I optimise the design to suit the printer capabilities.  The result is that for the same model printed on different machines the STL files will probably be different. 

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #616 on: June 04, 2019, 11:20:25 AM »
My personal failure is designing a streamlined B17 that I'm 100% happy with the shape of - I've not managed one that I'm satisfied with yet but each failed attempt teaches me a lot which can be put to good use on other designs.

Not all CAD is the same and this is a good illustration.  I use Rhino which works in surfaces not solids.  Eventually surfaces are joined to form solids but only when the complex curves are modelled.  The streamlined B17 would be perfect for this approach.  At some point I will do an LMS Coronation streamlined.

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #617 on: June 04, 2019, 01:21:29 PM »
Not all CAD is the same and this is a good illustration.  I use Rhino which works in surfaces not solids.  Eventually surfaces are joined to form solids but only when the complex curves are modelled.  The streamlined B17 would be perfect for this approach.

Funnily enough I've been looking at Rhino for just this kind of thing and have seen some lovely bits done from it. I'm very much a co-ordinates and calculations person but I will be trying my hand at it in the future.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #618 on: June 18, 2019, 05:03:10 PM »
Having managed to fall off the wagon again last week and, as a result, ground to a halt, I've been looking around for some bits to occupy my time this week. I stumbled across my unfinished project box full of Dapol A3s that I've been repairing/converting/detailing.

At the far left is a repair/detailing commission I have for Flying Scotsman in early preserved condition. This has involved repairing the valve gear and scrounging around looking for a corridor tender (the loco came with an ex-GNR tender for some strange reason). I've had to rebuild the valve gear on the left hand side as it had come apart. I've also lined out the cartazzi truck and tender frames but still need to fit details such as the vacuum pipes. I'm almost done with this project and it will hopefully go back to its owner on Saturday.

Next up is another preservation Flying Scotsman that I recently picked up cheaply as a none runner (for the corridor tender). Surprisingly, all that was required to get this one going was to replace the loco-tender wires and refit the drive shaft. The loco was fitted with smoke deflectors and double chimney which I have removed. As the smokebox had holes drilled into it to accept the deflectors, I've had to fill the holes and have given the smokebox an initial coat of black paint to make good on the damager. I've also removed the printed plates from the center splashers as these are inappropriate to any 1930's A3 locomotive. I'm undecided which loco this will become but I'm leaning towards 2504 "Sandwich" as this was allocated to Doncaster so would have likely been a frequent visitor to the London area. Its currently paired with a black corridor tender which will likely end up behind A3 "Harvester".

Third up is another recently acquired A3 which is actually a spare chassis unit which I've fitted with a spare green A3 boiler and tender. Again, I'm not 100% sure on which loco this will end up being, but I'd like to model 2576 "The White Knight" when it was fitted with A.C.F.I. feed-water heating equipment.

Forth is Gresley's prototype A1 4470 "Great Northern". Another cheap non-runner which required minimum work to return to life. It's been converted to right hand drive and had the superheater header covers removed to represent the loco in A1 condition. I've got to source some nameplates and then this one will be ready to go.

Fifth is another repair purchase which is being turned into A1 2562 "Isinglass". This loco spent from 1928 to 1938 at Grantham and then a year at King's Cross, so it's another appropriate locomotive for Hadley Wood.

Sixth is A1 2568 "Sceptre". Picked up for 35 as a returned item at the Dapo Open Day a couple of years ago. Similar work to 4470 and 2562 but this one is fitted with Westinghouse brake gear. As such it is only appropriate for the early 1930's period but, as I am representing between 1932 and 1939 on Hadley Wood, it will see service.

Last, but by no means least, A3 2573 "Harvester". Sourced at the same time as the donor for 2568, it is also fitted with a Westinghouse pump but remains in A3 condition (but with right hand drive). This one will probably end up with the unpainted corridor tender described above and share workings with my version of 4472.

There are another five A1/A3s which are already in "service condition" which brings the total to twelve - as well as five A4s and, eventually, a Raven A2. Eighteen Pacifics might sound a bit excessive but Hadley Wood's fiddle yard has been designed to accommodate 22 train, of which several will run in both directions. Backed up by some Atlantics, I'll have just about the right number to put a different locomotive onto each passenger working.

The aim over the next couple of weeks is to score some "easy" wins and free up some space on my projects shelf!

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #619 on: June 18, 2019, 06:11:34 PM »
Shocking Steve, you would appear to have more A3s  than I have J39s or B1s and I thought I was getting a little fanatical!

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #620 on: June 18, 2019, 06:25:03 PM »
Shocking Steve, you would appear to have more A3s  than I have J39s or B1s and I thought I was getting a little fanatical!

Roy

Thanks Roy.... I think!  :hmmm: :hmmm:

With the draft sequence for Hadley Wood is running to some seventy "on scene" movements, the layout will be literally swallowing up stock and locomotives. As a results, there are plans afoot for more than fifty locomotives in total to fully operate the line!  :goggleeyes: Sadly, most of these will need to be designed and built by myself, so I'm very grateful for some "easy" RTR based wins such as these A3s. However, every one is slightly different from the others in terms of detail - so much for being a "standard" class of locomotives!  :smiley-laughing:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #621 on: June 18, 2019, 07:18:22 PM »
Excellent, Steve!  That picture looks like one of these marvellous pre-War publicity photographs with titles like 'Giants Prepared and Ready for Your Holiday Journey'.

Good that you have Great Northern prior to her 'misfortune'.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #622 on: June 18, 2019, 07:25:13 PM »
Excellent, Steve!  That picture looks like one of these marvellous pre-War publicity photographs with titles like 'Giants Prepared and Ready for Your Holiday Journey'.

Good that you have Great Northern prior to her 'misfortune'.

Thanks John,

I've always been a fan of the LNER publicity photos. Such a shame that Hadley Wood won't lend itself well to doing a lineup.

Re Great Northern: I've always been firmly in the camp that what Thompson did was sacrilege. Out of all the locomotives he could have picked, he chose that one. I do wonder if, had it not been rebuilt, if Great Northern would have been selected for preservation.

I get my own back by firmly cutting off my modelling period at 1939. There will be no Thompson B1s on Hadley Wood - unfortunately that also stops Peppercorn Pacifics running as well...  :(

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #623 on: June 18, 2019, 07:26:12 PM »

Roy

Thanks Roy.... I think!  :hmmm: :hmmm:

With the draft sequence for Hadley Wood is running to some seventy "on scene" movements, the layout will be literally swallowing up stock and locomotives. As a results, there are plans afoot for more than fifty locomotives in total to fully operate the line!  :goggleeyes: Sadly, most of these will need to be designed and built by myself, so I'm very grateful for some "easy" RTR based wins such as these A3s. However, every one is slightly different from the others in terms of detail - so much for being a "standard" class of locomotives!  :smiley-laughing:

It's inspiring stuff Steve, I know it is a long way off but when you've built it I am 100% sure Hadley Wood will provide a worthy backdrop for all your locos, but not to forget for a second the work you are also putting in to the rolling stock as well to make trains as authentic and representative as possible!

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #624 on: June 18, 2019, 07:33:22 PM »
It's inspiring stuff Steve, I know it is a long way off but when you've built it I am 100% sure Hadley Wood will provide a worthy backdrop for all your locos, but not to forget for a second the work you are also putting in to the rolling stock as well to make trains as authentic and representative as possible!

Thanks Roy.

Trying to make things as authentic as possible does mean that the completion of Hadley Wood is a looooooooonnnnnnnnnng way off. :worried: As you know, one of our mutual favorite layouts, Little Bytham, took over ten years to build the layout (which still isn't fully finished) and over 45 years for Tony build all the locos and stock that run on it!  :goggleeyes:

Hopefully Hadley Wood, with its slightly more limited scope, will have a decent selection of locos and stock running in a little less time.  :P

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #625 on: June 19, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
While I've still got some touching up to do and details, such as the vacuum pipes, to add, I've gotten some more work done on 2573 Harvester in c. 1928-1934 condition - complete with Westinghouse pump.

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #626 on: June 19, 2019, 08:09:50 PM »
Love the lining on this Steve,but tell me,are the boiler bands and tender panel tranfers,or did you do it all with a bow pen ?

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #627 on: June 19, 2019, 08:57:50 PM »
Love the lining on this Steve,but tell me,are the boiler bands and tender panel tranfers,or did you do it all with a bow pen ?

Actually, very little of the painting and lining is mine on these locomotives. However, while the Dapol livery is very good, it does benefit from lining out the bogie wheel centers and correcting a couple of minor livery errors. I have lined out the cartazzi truck and tender frames using my bow pen but, due to having to lighten the photo, this hasn't been picked up.

The Westinghouse pump was lined using decal paper. I sprayed a small area with Precision gloss LNER Doncaster Green and ruled on the white lines once dry.

The only Dapol A3 I've completely repainted is Humourist (a few years back now) as it started out as a double chimney BR version. For this I used Fox Transfers to best match the finish of the other Dapol models with bow pen work on the splashers, frames, etc. The boiler bands on the A3 are really thin and convincing the transfers to conform to the shape was rather trying on my patients.

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #628 on: June 19, 2019, 09:04:41 PM »
Lovely job, I can see I've got a lot to learn using a bow pen.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #629 on: June 19, 2019, 10:03:15 PM »
Lovely job, I can see I've got a lot to learn using a bow pen.

Me too! Practice, patience and perseverance is key though.

I would thoroughly recommend Ian Rathbone's book on painting and lining, it is truly worth the money in my opinion.

Also of use is the video below. Skip to 1:31 to find Ian's section on painting and lining. The book contains more information, but this is really useful too.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations