!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 58279 times)

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #600 on: May 30, 2019, 10:31:30 PM »
Itís great to see the progress from Steve with his ingenuity on his LNER  locoís but when another picture appears of GWR loco  the pulse quicken. Really like the body of the 43xx, I recall they where made from stocks of available parts and other donor locos in Swindon works, Steveís approach honours that tradition.

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #601 on: May 31, 2019, 07:55:48 AM »
Thank you guys. I'm hoping that these will be offered for sale directly from me; should they prove to print consistently. I'm also hoping that the mods I made to the N2 to get it to print will also solve the issues I've been having with the County tender. I'll see about making some changes and printing that one today.

Really like the body of the 43xx, I recall they where made from stocks of available parts and other donor locos in Swindon works, Steveís approach honours that tradition.

Thanks Carl. However, I'm using the Grange parts to build the 43xx which is the complete opposite of what happened in reality. I'm not sure Swindon would have approved of that!  ;D

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #602 on: May 31, 2019, 11:31:31 AM »
Thank you guys. I'm hoping that these will be offered for sale directly from me; should they prove to print consistently. I'm also hoping that the mods I made to the N2 to get it to print will also solve the issues I've been having with the County tender. I'll see about making some changes and printing that one today.

Really like the body of the 43xx, I recall they where made from stocks of available parts and other donor locos in Swindon works, Steve’s approach honours that tradition.

Thanks Carl. However, I'm using the Grange parts to build the 43xx which is the complete opposite of what happened in reality. I'm not sure Swindon would have approved of that!  ;D

Never mind Swindon, I like it!

all the best,

Alex

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #603 on: June 03, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »
Never mind Swindon, I like it!

Thanks Alex!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #604 on: June 03, 2019, 07:05:14 PM »
Other than the whistles, the 43xx is about as far as I'm going to take it cosmetically.

I've still got the cylinders and a couple of spacers to adapt the Grange chassis to design so it will be a little while still...

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #605 on: June 03, 2019, 08:36:31 PM »
Other than the whistles, the 43xx is about as far as I'm going to take it cosmetically.

I've still got the cylinders and a couple of spacers to adapt the Grange chassis to design so it will be a little while still...

I will be interested in how this level of detail prints in resin.  The rivets on Alex's Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine test I printed come out, but there has to be a limit.

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #606 on: June 03, 2019, 08:53:32 PM »
Looking good! So what type of 3D printer will you be using?

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #607 on: June 03, 2019, 10:12:35 PM »
I will be interested in how this level of detail prints in resin.  The rivets on Alex's Reid-MacLeod Steam Turbine test I printed come out, but there has to be a limit.

The previous test print (re-posted below) had around 75% of the rivets already added to the CAD. Not the best photograph I'll admit, but if you zoom in you'll see that the cab, splasher and smokebox rivets are there.

A little clearer (but not by much) is the Stannier 2P I did a little while back that I need to revisit and finish off soon.

I've also done my first print using the new firmware for anti-aliasing (a method of obtaining a smoother surface). I've used the lowest setting of two pixels to start with but understand that the other two setting (4 and 8 pixels) will give even better results.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:20:42 PM by Atso »

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #608 on: June 03, 2019, 10:14:34 PM »
Looking good! So what type of 3D printer will you be using?

Hi Doc Pye,

It is a Photon.

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #609 on: June 03, 2019, 10:30:36 PM »
Looks good...that's the one I am going to get later this month. I joined the Photon FB page where it has a religious feeling that has converted me....I shall print!!!!!!!! ;)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #610 on: June 04, 2019, 08:31:37 AM »
Further to the rivet discussion last night, I offer these cruel close ups of one of my County test prints to show the detail capable in resin. There is no Anti-Aliasing smoothing applied to this model but I'll be doing a test print with this feature later this week.

Please keep in mind when looking that this model is c. 75mm long c. 18mm wide and c. 25mm high (I could be more accurate but I haven't got the CAD file open at the moment!).

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #611 on: June 04, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »
That looks really nice! Will you be selling the STL for individual usage or just the model? When I get my printer I might want to try doing one of these. Are you going to produce a suitable tender?

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #612 on: June 04, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »
That looks really nice! Will you be selling the STL for individual usage or just the model? When I get my printer I might want to try doing one of these. Are you going to produce a suitable tender?

Thank you. The aim is to be offering these prints directly within the next couple of months. As this is my business (and sole source of income), I'm afraid that I will not be sharing the STL files. My apologies but I hope you understand.

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #613 on: June 04, 2019, 10:10:56 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it. And given you know how to print, I am sure that it will be better than a newbie like me! ;)

When you do the masters will they be in this red resin? I have heard good things about some of the high def grey resins. The work of Holden8702 comes to mind. https://www.facebook.com/HOLDEN8702/

If you don't mind me asking, how difficult it it to design these things in CAD? My plan was to first get the printer, learn how to best use that using other people's STLs (like Thingiverse) and then eventually try and teach myself one of the programs. Based on your experience, which of the CAD programs do you recommend? I had been thinking of Solidworks but have heard good things about others too.

Oh, and to be clear, I have no desire to turn this into a biz...just want to play around and see what is possible. I am also a modeller, so I am hoping I will be able to do spare parts and such for conversions and the like.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:13:22 AM by Doc Pye »

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #614 on: June 04, 2019, 10:35:04 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it. And given you know how to print, I am sure that it will be better than a newbie like me! ;)

When you do the masters will they be in this red resin? I have heard good things about some of the high def grey resins. The work of Holden8702 comes to mind. https://www.facebook.com/HOLDEN8702/

If you don't mind me asking, how difficult it it to design these things in CAD? My plan was to first get the printer, learn how to best use that using other people's STLs (like Thingiverse) and then eventually try and teach myself one of the programs. Based on your experience, which of the CAD programs do you recommend? I had been thinking of Solidworks but have heard good things about others too.

Oh, and to be clear, I have no desire to turn this into a biz...just want to play around and see what is possible. I am also a modeller, so I am hoping I will be able to do spare parts and such for conversions and the like.

Thank you.

The resin is the standard grey resin but I give the prints a coat of red car primer so that the details will show up for photographs - this also makes an excellent base for further painting (use grey primer if you're painting lighter colours though).

How difficult is it to design in CAD? It really depends on the user and programme I guess. I'm self taught and have used Alibre Design as my CAD package since I started messing around with this c. 2007 (I very occasionally use Turbocad as well). I really like the software but it is a mid-level professional CAD programme with the price to match. I didn't get on with Google Sketchup (free) myself, but I suspect that this is because I'd already learnt the basics of Alibre - I've seen some nice stuff designed by others in Sketchup though.

I think the key thing is the ability to break shapes down to their most basic component parts and then add the detailing in stages; just like physical modelling. Where things get complicated is where you have an irregular shape. Getting the basic shape to render is one thing, detailing it is another. My personal failure is designing a streamlined B17 that I'm 100% happy with the shape of - I've not managed one that I'm satisfied with yet but each failed attempt teaches me a lot which can be put to good use on other designs.

My honest advice would be to experiment with learning a CAD programme and getting the hang of the basics before purchasing a printer; That way you won't be restricted to other people's STL files. Even though the Photon is very competitively priced, it is still quite a large investment and you'll get the most out of it if you develop your CAD abilities first. Shapeways might not be what it once was, but it is still much cheaper to buy a handful of N gauge prints via them while you're learning CAD than the cost of the Photon.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:39:01 AM by Atso »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything