!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 50183 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #555 on: December 18, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »
Wow, and wow again! They both look stunning, Steve :goggleeyes:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #556 on: December 18, 2018, 09:39:27 PM »
Wow, and wow again! They both look stunning, Steve :goggleeyes:

Seconded!

The 'V3' is wonderful.

And, as for the 'Atlantic'...

Mr Ivatt will be smiling down upon you, Steve.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #557 on: December 19, 2018, 01:36:39 AM »
Beautiful work as always Steve, I am in awe of the C1 - it is in a class of its own

Regards,

Alex

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #558 on: December 19, 2018, 11:00:21 AM »
It's good to read and see photos of a good weathering job, which the V3 certainly is. I'll be trying that technique on my next few locos.......well done Steve!

Thanks Dave,

One bit of advice I would offer is to get a decent(ish) set of artist's brushes. I've found my preference is for Daler Rowney brushes, which are available from Hobby Craft, and Windsor & Newton that I found in The Range. While they are more expensive than Humbrol's products, they are not extortionate. I have the following brushes:

Daler Rowney

No. 6 Flat shader: I have two of these, one for brush painting and one for weathering/large area streaking - a great brush for painting larger areas.
10/0 Liner: Used for fine detail work such as water stains and individual streaks. I also use this brush occasionally for brush painting corners on lining but its long tip makes fine control around corners difficult.

Windsor & Newton

OO Finest Sable: Used for lining work.
OOO Finest Sable: Used for lining and cleaning up.

I only use these brushes with enamel paints and once cleaned using white spirit, they are washed with soapy water and the tips pushed back into shape using fingers before they dry. For acrylics, I tend to use cheaper brushes but mainly airbrush these.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #559 on: December 19, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
Thank you for all the kind comments. I am pretty pleased with how the Atlantic is turning out as it has been a long and trying journey!

Looking again at the photograph, I see that the constant handling of the wheels (popping them in and out multiple times during testing) has rubbed a bi of the out lining off. I'll have to find some time to reinstate this later

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #560 on: December 24, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »
Taking advantage of some spare Peco Collett parts, I've been working on a pair of J3s for Hadley Wood.

The J3 class is a complete minefield in terms of details and these two are based on photos of Hitchin allocated locomotives - I couldn't source any photos of Kings Cross or Hornsey based ones. The class became extinct in the early 1950's and withdrawals were already underway in the 1930s with the class generally undertaking lighter duties.

Offline Jollybob

• N Gauge Society Number: 22210
  • WD fan in the heart of the GWR
    • Awards
« Reply #561 on: December 24, 2018, 12:46:23 PM »
Looking good so far.

Rob.  :thumbsup:

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #562 on: December 24, 2018, 03:24:26 PM »
Taking advantage of some spare Peco Collett parts, I've been working on a pair of J3s for Hadley Wood.

The J3 class is a complete minefield in terms of details and these two are based on photos of Hitchin allocated locomotives - I couldn't source any photos of Kings Cross or Hornsey based ones. The class became extinct in the early 1950's and withdrawals were already underway in the 1930s with the class generally undertaking lighter duties.

Aha! So they are J3s! What lovely little locos. With the chassis part of the print how do you plan pickup or will these use a self contained tender drive such as the Dapol Terrier chassis?

The V3 is looking and running superbly by the way, and really looks the part with it's local passenger comprised of Gresley coaches - fantastic job - massive thanks Steve.

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #563 on: December 24, 2018, 04:39:16 PM »
Thank you guys!  :)

Roy, the chassis is two separate components from the loco body. However, the issue of pickups is yet to be addressed as the tender, being fitted with traction tires on the front and rear axles cannot be used as a self contained unit. I'm sure that I'll come up with something though.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #564 on: December 26, 2018, 11:08:10 PM »
I got some more wheels for the other J3 yesterday. I spend most of the day with the future in laws but did manage to grab a couple of hours this morning to assemble and quarter the wheels, add the coupling rods and fettle the various bit to assemble the other J3.

Now there is a pair but still no tenders as neither ran with the type shown in my drawings. However, a friendly sole involved with 4mm kit manufacture has offered to help me out and I hope to have the correct drawings in a couple of weeks.

Here is the current state of play.

Hopefully this shot shows the variations that existed between class members. With some being built as J3s and others being converted from the various batches of J4s, this was far from a standard class of locomotives.

I converted a spare Union Mills tender drive so that the Peco tender wheels would fit. Unfortunately, the running was not as I would have hoped (the drive was quite old and worn) so I think I'll be having a go at finally making my own once I've sourced some suitable gears.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #565 on: December 27, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
I'm sure that Colin would supply a new tender drive if you ask him - the new ones run like silk.
By the way, happy new year Steve

Regards,

Alex

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #566 on: December 27, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
I'm sure that Colin would supply a new tender drive if you ask him - the new ones run like silk.
By the way, happy new year Steve

Regards,

Alex

Agreed; they are really good.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #567 on: December 27, 2018, 04:13:05 PM »
Thanks guys,

To be honest, apart from (most of) the block and the gears, there isn't much left of the Union Mills tender drive as I need to fit a smaller motor and change the wheels. I'll have a go with trying to design one first and if that fails I'll give Colin a call - I need a GC tender body from him but that's another project and story...

The J3s got their handrails today as well as a squirting of etching primer (hence the change in colour!).

All ready for basic painting now!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #568 on: December 27, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »
These engines look marvellous, Steve.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #569 on: December 28, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »
Thanks guys,

To be honest, apart from (most of) the block and the gears, there isn't much left of the Union Mills tender drive as I need to fit a smaller motor and change the wheels. I'll have a go with trying to design one first and if that fails I'll give Colin a call - I need a GC tender body from him but that's another project and story...

The J3s got their handrails today as well as a squirting of etching primer (hence the change in colour!).

All ready for basic painting now!

Looking excellent already in just the primer Steve. Would the Dapol Terrier chassis fit the small tender and could that work as a self contained tender-drive? Gareth Collier seems to have had a good deal of success with this solution on some of his locos.

Look forward to seeing the tiny twins painted (no doubt then gaining some fancy LNER lettering). Would they have been in plain black by your chosen era or lined?

Roy

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything