!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 49959 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #525 on: October 25, 2018, 05:26:16 PM »
Thank you guys.

Alan, the last C1 was withdrawn in 1950 (five of the class remained at the start of the year). However, the preserved 251 was brought out in 1953 and again in 1954 to run some specials. Still too way too early for the late crest period but they did just make it into BR service.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #526 on: October 25, 2018, 05:27:22 PM »
Steve STOP MAKING SUCH BRILLLIANT LOCOMOTIVES :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Paul, somebody has to try and balance out the huge number of LMS locomotives you've got on the go!  :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #527 on: October 25, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »
Steve STOP MAKING SUCH BRILLLIANT LOCOMOTIVES :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Paul, somebody has to try and balance out the huge number of LMS locomotives you've got on the go!  :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #528 on: October 25, 2018, 05:55:36 PM »
STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

You started it!  :veryangry: :veryangry: :laughabovepost:

In other news, these arrived today.

Spare driving wheels from the Peco Collett goods. They're 5'2 diameter and will end up under another LNER tender locomotive (one day!) appropriate for Hadley Wood of which the last survivor was withdrawn in 1954 and, unfortunately, none are preserved. Any ideas what this one will eventually be?

I'm in no rush to design the locomotive but did want the wheels to measure up.

Edit: Another clue, I should've ordered the Collett's coupling rods as well as the wheelbase is also correct for the planned locomotive.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:58:16 PM by Atso »

Offline RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Awards
« Reply #529 on: October 25, 2018, 08:01:31 PM »

Incredible. If I could buy tomorrow I would. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to follow in your footsteps. Great work. :thumbsup:
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #530 on: October 25, 2018, 08:43:55 PM »
Incredible. If I could buy tomorrow I would. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to follow in your footsteps. Great work. :thumbsup:

Thank you Richard!  :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #531 on: October 25, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »
No guesses on what the Peco Collett driving wheels will eventually be for? A couple more clues, it is a tender locomotive and the M&GN had some similar locomotives on their books (before being completely absorbed by the LNER).

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #532 on: October 25, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »
No guesses on what the Peco Collett driving wheels will eventually be for? A couple more clues, it is a tender locomotive and the M&GN had some similar locomotives on their books (before being completely absorbed by the LNER).

J6>??

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #533 on: October 25, 2018, 09:21:21 PM »
J6>??

Nope but not too far off - thanks for reminding me that I need to finally sort out the tenders for the trio of J6s I started building at the very beginning of this thread though! :-)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #534 on: October 25, 2018, 09:35:25 PM »
J6>??

Nope but not too far off - thanks for reminding me that I need to finally sort out the tenders for the trio of J6s I started building at the very beginning of this thread though! :-)

Is it an inferior railways attempt to make a decent locomotive like the LMS constantly produced :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #535 on: October 25, 2018, 10:55:55 PM »
Is it an inferior railways attempt to make a decent locomotive like the LMS constantly produced :)

Why you little.....  :censored: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

I hate to tell you this, but the LMS was a bit lost in their locomotive construction until they hired a GWR man as the new CME to teach them how to do it properly...  :P

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #536 on: October 26, 2018, 12:17:37 AM »
Alan, the last C1 was withdrawn in 1950 (five of the class remained at the start of the year). However, the preserved 251 was brought out in 1953 and again in 1954 to run some specials. Still too way too early for the late crest period but they did just make it into BR service.

Don't tempt me....I still have to finish two of your D49s and the two V1s! Oh for more time in life..... (though I have procured the main sticking point for the D49s now)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline smudger

• 2mm Association Number: 1952
    • Awards
« Reply #537 on: October 26, 2018, 10:17:11 AM »
J6>??

J3?

Very nice C1 by the way. Just thinking I could use the 2mm Scale Association replacement Hall chassis for that with a little bit of hacking to get the trailing wheels in.  :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #538 on: October 26, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »
J3?

He's got it!  :claphappy: Yes, I'm looking at making a J3 or two. The list in the back of 'Modeller's Guide to the LNER' by David Adair has a list of locos present at Kings Cross on the 5th March 1936 (actually it's dated 1935 but can't be as Quicksilver is listed as present!) which shows that four J3s were on shed at the time of a visit by a J. G. Woodward. I've also got the relevant copy of Yeadon's so I can hopefully avoid some of the minefield of detail differences that made up the class! Don't expect to see anything too soon though, I've got some other bits to work through first.

Very nice C1 by the way. Just thinking I could use the 2mm Scale Association replacement Hall chassis for that with a little bit of hacking to get the trailing wheels in.  :)

Thank you!  :D The coupled wheelbase of the Hall is 2 scale inches too long for the C1 but the closest match I could find. Even in 2mm scale, you'll struggle to fit scale driving wheels and you'll need to move the rear bogie wheel forward a little to get clearance between the flanges. I can't see why it can't be done though!  8)

Online joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #539 on: October 26, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »
There are some nice photos of LNER photos in the November issue of"Steam World" :

C9 D20 D49 etc.

Best regards,

Joe

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations