!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 49961 times)

Offline Portpatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #510 on: October 18, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »
How essential is our doofer box!

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #511 on: October 18, 2018, 01:24:28 PM »
...Once you start using donor models for conversions, it is amazing how quickly you build up a stock of spares....

I'm still at the very beginning of this process, having picked up a few spare locos along the way for cannibalisation and chassis donors. Once the next batch of Union Mills T9s is available (next year), I'll get started on some basic chopping and hacking of locos. Your work is still many, many years ahead of me, but if you produce a Drummond loco class then I'll have to catch up fast!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #512 on: October 19, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »
How essential is our doofer box!

The doofer box is always an essential part of modelling and conversion work!  :D

I'm still at the very beginning of this process, having picked up a few spare locos along the way for cannibalisation and chassis donors. Once the next batch of Union Mills T9s is available (next year), I'll get started on some basic chopping and hacking of locos. Your work is still many, many years ahead of me, but if you produce a Drummond loco class then I'll have to catch up fast!

Hi CarriageShed, you'll find that you're collection of spare locos and bits will grow quite quickly. Look out for the damaged and non-runners as they are more often than not the cheapest source of spare parts!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #513 on: October 19, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »
The C1 went through another design iteration last night to accommodate the N-Brass slide bars that were supplied with the old LNER O4 kit. Even so both the slide bars and Dapol crossheads needed some filing and sanding work to get everything to fit.

The slight lean between the loco and tender is due to a mis-aligned part on the print which hopefully we've eradicated today.

There is still no tender drawbar or loco pickups designed yet but.... IT'S ALIVE!

The new power plant is a Nigel Lawton 8mm Coreless motor as there was no way I was going to be able to fit the Dapol motor into the tender - the motor is bigger!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:26:45 PM by Atso »

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #514 on: October 19, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »
Hi Steve

That is amazing work, I think you have absolutely nailed it. Presumably pickup is arranged somehow in the tender?

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this loco, it is something pretty unique in N.

Jersey Lily anyone??? (Only kidding Steve!).

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #515 on: October 19, 2018, 07:39:58 PM »
That is amazing work, I think you have absolutely nailed it. Presumably pickup is arranged somehow in the tender?

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this loco, it is something pretty unique in N.

Jersey Lily anyone??? (Only kidding Steve!).

Thanks Roy, this little loco represents ten years of attempting this model and having to work various bits an pieces out! The tender is some simple wire wiper pickups fitted, nothing special and, as this isn't the final version, not particularly neat!

Jersey Lily? After the clearance issues and work arounds of the C1, the Jersley Lily would be relatively simple if/when I get around to one. It is surprisingly close in wheelbase to the Jubilee, unlike the C1!!!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:42:41 PM by Atso »

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #516 on: October 19, 2018, 08:25:56 PM »
Totally brilliant, I don't know what else to say just BRILLIANT

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #517 on: October 19, 2018, 08:54:20 PM »

Thanks Paul, the tight clearances coupled with the cylinders passing through the running plate has thwarted all of my previous attempts so I have to confess I'm over the moon that this attempt actually seems to work!  :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

Also, referring to your own thread; please note that no Jubilees were harmed in the making of the C1!!! I can't promise that will hold for the next loco though!  >:D

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #518 on: October 19, 2018, 09:39:06 PM »

Thanks Paul, the tight clearances coupled with the cylinders passing through the running plate has thwarted all of my previous attempts so I have to confess I'm over the moon that this attempt actually seems to work!  :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

Also, referring to your own thread; please note that no Jubilees were harmed in the making of the C1!!! I can't promise that will hold for the next loco though!  >:D

STEVE STEP AWAY FROM THE JUBILEE

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #519 on: October 20, 2018, 08:08:08 AM »
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:41:10 AM by Atso »

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #520 on: October 21, 2018, 04:57:06 PM »
What a lovely model!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #521 on: October 25, 2018, 12:40:20 PM »
I've finished the basic colour scheme for the C1 which will become 4452 as it was one of two Atlantics that deputised for a failed A4 that hauled the Silver Jubilee set into Kings Cross during the late 1930's. I've also found some more photographs of this locomotive and, as it achieved it's Silver Jubilee feat during the summer, it is the better candidate for me over 4446.

Anyway, here is the current state of play.

I've still got the wheel centers to line but it is starting to look the part (to me anyway). It's been temporarily reassembled as some friends were over from Holland who wanted to see it. We met for breakfast this morning at the local service station (they're on their way to Derby for some American Railway meetup) and spent an enjoyable hour or so discussing this and Robinson locomotives (one of them is a big fan of Robinson's work!).

It has got to come apart again for the painting of details and lining. I also have to sort out the tender pickups and how I'm going to connect the loco and tender, both physically and electrically.

The County hasn't been neglected though. At the moment it is being hand lined but I'll hold off posting any photos until things are a little further alone. What I will say is that brush painting double lined corners is taxing on one's patience!

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #522 on: October 25, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »
Looks really good Steve - shame these never made it to BR days.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #523 on: October 25, 2018, 04:33:39 PM »
Very classy, Steve

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #524 on: October 25, 2018, 05:23:52 PM »
I've finished the basic colour scheme for the C1 which will become 4452 as it was one of two Atlantics that deputised for a failed A4 that hauled the Silver Jubilee set into Kings Cross during the late 1930's. I've also found some more photographs of this locomotive and, as it achieved it's Silver Jubilee feat during the summer, it is the better candidate for me over 4446.

Anyway, here is the current state of play.

I've still got the wheel centers to line but it is starting to look the part (to me anyway). It's been temporarily reassembled as some friends were over from Holland who wanted to see it. We met for breakfast this morning at the local service station (they're on their way to Derby for some American Railway meetup) and spent an enjoyable hour or so discussing this and Robinson locomotives (one of them is a big fan of Robinson's work!).

It has got to come apart again for the painting of details and lining. I also have to sort out the tender pickups and how I'm going to connect the loco and tender, both physically and electrically.

The County hasn't been neglected though. At the moment it is being hand lined but I'll hold off posting any photos until things are a little further alone. What I will say is that brush painting double lined corners is taxing on one's patience!

Steve STOP MAKING SUCH BRILLLIANT LOCOMOTIVES :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations