!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 50060 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #495 on: September 30, 2018, 02:00:26 PM »
Sounds like someone has picked it up by the loco with the tender just dangling underneath ::)

That was my first thought too but the draw bar doesn't show any signs of having been stressed and is still dead straight.

Online portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #496 on: September 30, 2018, 08:45:27 PM »
Atos-lord of the 3d printer, i have a question!...or 2...

1-i dont suppose you can design a body of a standard 2mt that fits onto an ivatt chassis by graham farish could you? i know the tender frames are slightly different but i can get away with that, just want a straight body and tender body swap!

2-i bought a dapol a4 from dapol yesterday in the nqp bits, and i tried doing a conversion myself, but proved why i shouldnt touch them! i tried to swap the single chimney over to a double chimney, but now cant get the body and chassis to go back together, and i cant get the dam chimney to glue back in. i dont suppose you could use your expertise and put it back together could you?

cheers

Paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #497 on: October 01, 2018, 08:37:43 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thank you for thinking of me. The Riddels 2mt is an interesting locomotive which, from a quick look, does look like it could be compatible with the Farish Ivatt 2mt chassis. Unfortunately, I have several projects on at the moment which need to be cleared so I wouldn't be able to look at this until some point next year. I would also need to have an idea of the number of people interested as well as better resource/reference material than I presently have before making a decision if this is viable.

A4: To date, I have not had to disassemble the loco end of an A4 - all of my work has been confined to the tender which shares its design with the A3. Therefore, I am not confident that I can guarantee that I can effect a repair on this particular locomotive. Dr Al, or somebody else, may have more experience with this class and be able to help further.

Sorry I can't be of more help at present.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #498 on: October 17, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »
After a hectic couple of weeks, I've been spending a little time doing further development on my C1 Atlantic project.

At the heart of the model is the Dapol Hall donor chassis fitted with Britannia wheels. The bogie wheels are the largest Farish ones as unfortunately, the Dapol A3/A4 Cartazzi ones won't fit. Despite having underscale driving wheels and bogie wheels, clearances are tight and I've had to move the rear bogie wheel forward by 0.3mm to ensure it clears the front driving wheel on curves. The bogie is fix as part of the replacement front frame spacer and generous side play has been provided to the front bogie wheel to allow the locomotive the negotiate 12" radius curves. The bogie wheels are also sprung to transfer some more weight to the driving wheels. The rear wheel is held in place by another custom frame spacer that replaces the original Dapol one and I've had t cut out the bottom of the chassis where the rear driving wheel used to be to allow it to fit.

The tender is too narrow to fit the original Dapol motor so I'll be using a Nigel Lawton 8mm coreless motor instead. This will allow me to fit a little weight into the tender to improve both the ride quality and electrical pickup. The tender wheels are spare Peco Collett ones.

While there is no motor fitted at the moment, I have run the loco using a spare B17 tender and very nicely it runs too!  :D We'll have to see if that remains the case once I've fitted the slide bars and crossheads!  :hmmm: :hmmm:

Online portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #499 on: October 17, 2018, 07:50:08 PM »
After a hectic couple of weeks, I've been spending a little time doing further development on my C1 Atlantic project.

At the heart of the model is the Dapol Hall donor chassis fitted with Britannia wheels. The bogie wheels are the largest Farish ones as unfortunately, the Dapol A3/A4 Cartazzi ones won't fit. Despite having underscale driving wheels and bogie wheels, clearances are tight and I've had to move the rear bogie wheel forward by 0.3mm to ensure it clears the front driving wheel on curves. The bogie is fix as part of the replacement front frame spacer and generous side play has been provided to the front bogie wheel to allow the locomotive the negotiate 12" radius curves. The bogie wheels are also sprung to transfer some more weight to the driving wheels. The rear wheel is held in place by another custom frame spacer that replaces the original Dapol one and I've had t cut out the bottom of the chassis where the rear driving wheel used to be to allow it to fit.

The tender is too narrow to fit the original Dapol motor so I'll be using a Nigel Lawton 8mm coreless motor instead. This will allow me to fit a little weight into the tender to improve both the ride quality and electrical pickup. The tender wheels are spare Peco Collett ones.

While there is no motor fitted at the moment, I have run the loco using a spare B17 tender and very nicely it runs too!  :D We'll have to see if that remains the case once I've fitted the slide bars and crossheads!  :hmmm: :hmmm:

wish i was as good as these things as you! so thats the D49, Std 4 (4-6-0) and now this i want...dammit
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #500 on: October 17, 2018, 08:43:13 PM »
Might get some interest from SR ex LBSC fans, the Marsh H1/H2 was an almost exact copy of that C1
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #501 on: October 17, 2018, 08:44:23 PM »

Stunning truly stunning, with loco's like this as inspiration, I may have to add another mouldy green one to the fleet at some point  :P

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #502 on: October 18, 2018, 06:41:27 AM »
wish i was as good as these things as you! so thats the D49, Std 4 (4-6-0) and now this i want...dammit

Hi Paul,

It really does end up being a case of seeing/reading various techniques, having a go and developing the skill(s) through practice. I've kept some of my earliest models so that I can look at them from time to time to see just how far my own modelling has come over the last few years. Don't be scared to have a go at anything, you might just surprise yourself - I know I frequently do. :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:58:45 AM by Atso »

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #503 on: October 18, 2018, 06:52:20 AM »
Might get some interest from SR ex LBSC fans, the Marsh H1/H2 was an almost exact copy of that C1

Given that Marsh 'borrowed' the drawings for the C1, other than detail differences and a higher pressure boiler, they might as well be the same locomotive.

How interested will people be in one considering the need to combine parts from several donors? There is around 50% of the Hall chassis remaining, the Britannia wheels, Farish bogie wheels and Peco Collett tender wheels in the C1. I've been lucky in that the original Hall donor chassis was given to me by a 2mm scale model (following a conversion of his Hall to finescale) and that the Britannia wheels came from another 2mm modeller. I've since picked up another two Halls cheaply as non-runners (now working as per my earlier post) but driving wheels for the third are proving a little more difficult to obtain at the moment (hopefully DCC Supplies will be able to help).

The chassis needs to be stripped down to component parts to take out the unnecessary bits of the gear chain and fit the replacement chassis spacers. If there is enough demand, I would consider CADing an H1 or H2 and maybe releasing the C1 for sale - assuming things keep going as well as they appear to be at the moment!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #504 on: October 18, 2018, 06:57:26 AM »
Stunning truly stunning, with loco's like this as inspiration, I may have to add another mouldy green one to the fleet at some point  :P

Thank you Paul! It is one that I am quietly pleased with at this stage but we'll have to see if that holds up when I try and fit the slide bars and connecting rods as clearances are very tight!  :goggleeyes:

How many times do I need to explain this to you?  :veryangry: The LNER painted their locos in Apple Green (ok it's more or a grass green really). The GWR painted their locos in mouldy green, that's why the had to polish the brass work so much to distract from this!  :smiley-laughing:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #505 on: October 18, 2018, 09:18:01 AM »
As a certain judge on Strictly Come Trotting would say "fab-u-lous", Steve.
My mind is always boggled when the likes of you, Dr Al, Snowwolflair etc just casually throw into posts 'Britannia driving wheels'/'Farish bogie wheels'/'Peco Collett tender wheels' and so on. You all must have collections of non/poor runners for cannibalisation to rival the manufacturers!

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #506 on: October 18, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »
You all must have collections of non/poor runners for cannibalisation to rival the manufacturers!

I always grab stuff that might prove valuable for these tasks when I see it. Even if it lies for years thereafter. I also hoard any detail parts and spare bogies/ wheels etc, as they always prove infinitely useful.

Even then, there tend to be parts that are difficult to source.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #507 on: October 18, 2018, 09:36:10 AM »

How interested will people be in one considering the need to combine parts from several donors?

I think you know I will be  :D

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #508 on: October 18, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »
As a certain judge on Strictly Come Trotting would say "fab-u-lous", Steve.
My mind is always boggled when the likes of you, Dr Al, Snowwolflair etc just casually throw into posts 'Britannia driving wheels'/'Farish bogie wheels'/'Peco Collett tender wheels' and so on. You all must have collections of non/poor runners for cannibalisation to rival the manufacturers!

I always grab stuff that might prove valuable for these tasks when I see it. Even if it lies for years thereafter. I also hoard any detail parts and spare bogies/ wheels etc, as they always prove infinitely useful.

Even then, there tend to be parts that are difficult to source.

Very much the case with me as well Alan. Once you start using donor models for conversions, it is amazing how quickly you build up a stock of spares. If something useful (usually wheels) becomes available, I buy up as many as I can afford as you don't know when they might be available again. Items such as the Farish large bogie wheels come from the 'extras' that are included with locomotives.

I took advantage of the discounted NQPs on the Farish stand and built up a collection for things like this. Sadly those days are in the past and you can't pick up a Farish NQP for £50-£60 anymore and Farish only offer this at TINGS now anyway.  :(

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #509 on: October 18, 2018, 09:56:58 AM »
I think you know I will be  :D

You go without saying Gareth. ;) I need a few more to make it worth doing though (and prove that this will work on mine first!).

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything