!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 49964 times)

Offline R Marshall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #465 on: September 20, 2018, 07:55:55 PM »
Steve,

Message sent this evening. The mechanism says it was sent, but I can't see it, bizarrely.

Regards,

Roy

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #466 on: September 20, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »
Doh!

I hadn't set up a label for Sent Items.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #467 on: September 21, 2018, 08:38:52 AM »
Steve,

Message sent this evening. The mechanism says it was sent, but I can't see it, bizarrely.

Regards,

Roy

Thanks Roy, I've responded this morning. :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #468 on: September 22, 2018, 11:58:19 AM »
I thought it might be interesting to forum members if I discuss a little bit about my 3D printer and provide a glimpse of what goes into the test printing stages of one of my designs.

For this, I've been playing with the County's cab as a separate part. While it is my intention to print the final model as separate parts, all my test printing to date has been of the parts already assembled for speed to produce study/development models. My machine is an early B9Creator with a best possible resolution of 50 microns on the UV projector that cures the resin to produce parts (by at the cost of only having a projectable area of c. 50mm by 38mm). Below is last nights imperfect print.

There have been some sections that have not formed properly. This is partly due to insufficient supports during the printing but also party because I've pushed the limits of some of the features. I've since done some modest changes to the design and support patterns.

This is the B9C immediately on the completion of the cab part. The second attempt at the cab part still attached to the build plate and will be left for a few minutes to allow liquid resin to drain. This being a relatively small part took about one hour and forty minutes to print. Something longer in length will take much long (printing the whole County took about seven or eight hours).

Once I'm happy as much liquid resin as possible has drained from the build plate and part, I remove the build plate assembly and hang it over the resin vat for a few more minutes to allow any remaining trapped resin to drain.

After this, the print is carefully scraped from the build plate using a scalpel. You can see the raw print and some of the support network that needed to be removed to successfully get the print off the build plate (hopefully) without damaging the fine detail it was supporting. The supports on this machine are created in the same material as the part so great care has to be taken in their removal. Even then, there will be some evidence of the supports which must be removed by careful sanding or filling once the part is fully cured.

After this the part is placed in some IPA and put in an ultrasonic bath for between three and nine minutes (depending on the size and complexity of the part) before repeating the process using soapy water. After this the part is given a light scrub using an old worn toothbrush is water before being placed in a UV light box for between four to six hours to fully harden.

While I have my own machine, it is now primarily used for prototyping (although it does still get used for final parts on some projects) as Shapeways FXD (or whatever it is now called!) provides roughly the same level of detail but is capable of providing this equally on all six faces of a part. Also some geometries on are prone to warping on the B9C which can be a real pain to try and control - usually requiring a heavy and complex support system which requires a lot of care and effort to remove without causing damage. In the B9C's favour is its ability to produce parts which require less clean up on the unsupported faces that a FXD print and for work like this I'm not paying another company quite a bit of money for multiple test prints or having to wait up to two weeks to see if I've got something right (although my printer still carries a cost in maintenance and consumables).

My B9C is about four years old and has already been overtaken by two new generations of machine from that company. I was looking into a Form2 printer which uses a laser to cure the resin. Unfortunately, having had some test prints made, I've discovered that the laser isn't fine enough to produce detail in N gauge that I'm happy with - which is a shame as the much large build area is very appealing. Hopefully the Form3 will be able to achieve this as there are so many things I like about the Form2.

I hope that this is interesting to (at least) some.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #469 on: September 22, 2018, 01:57:15 PM »
I found it interesting but, knowing nothing whatsoever about 3D printing, most of it passeth my understanding :dunce:
Thanks for at least trying to educate me, Steve.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #470 on: September 22, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
Hi Steve

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

The County cab looks really impressive even at this stage and straight from the printer, only under O Gauge type magnification can you really begin to see the build lines, I suspect these could mostly be lost under primer and paint, although I know you will go through your usual rigorous clean up for a really smooth body shell finish.

Regards

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #471 on: September 25, 2018, 02:26:25 PM »
Following up from the latest bit of test printing, I've turned my attention back to the chimney and redesigned it.

You may have also noticed that it has gained a set of cylinders as well. This have had to be moved out a smidge beyond what the drawings say to preserve the positions of the con rods, crossheads and slide bars from the Black Five donor. However, I think that they actually look closer to the photographs I've seen than the drawings do. Either way, this is a practical consideration and I can't see a way around it.

The loco also received some attention inside the cab.

Unfortunately, the drawings I have don't show the layout of the cab so this has been pieced together from references of other GWR 4-6-0s. It is a representation only to suggest that there are some controls and I make no claims about their accuracy.

The fixing holes have been plotted and added - we'll see how accurate my measurements are when I get the first print from Shapeways!

The tender still needs some more work at this stage but I think I'm going to just about call the loco end complete (unless anyone can find anything wrong or the Shapeways print reveals something that the B9C prints have missed.).

Edit: One more to show a side view.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:43:25 PM by Atso »

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #472 on: September 25, 2018, 04:58:08 PM »
looking good Steve, the curvature between the lip of the chimney and the bottom of the copper cap is still a little too round, but that may be down to the cad you use. as for the cab details, a full on view of the cab and the front of the tender can be found on page 4  of "The book of the Counties" by Ian Sixmith. if you don't have a copy Pm me

Regards,

Alex

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #473 on: September 25, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »
Thanks Alex, the radius of the curve between the lip of the chimney and bottom of the copper cap has been reduced by a third.

PM being sent your way shortly. :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #474 on: September 25, 2018, 06:49:26 PM »
Modified cab interior with kind thanks to Hailstone for helping with the reference picture. This is still merely a rough representation as there are limits to 3D printing and most of this will be very difficult to see but most of the major bits are there now.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #475 on: September 26, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
Just a quick note to say that the County and the L1 have been uploaded to Shapeways. Some revisions were needed to ensure that these parts passed the initial print-ability tests which, while minor invisible, has taken a good part of today. However, both models have now been ordered and I hope to see them at the end of next week (fingers crossed).

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #476 on: September 26, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »
Now that the County is out of the way for a few days, I've been able to turn my attention to a commission project, an BR V3. This body is the third of the prototype prints I had done at the beginning of the year and, as a result, needed some details adding. This was done a little while ago along with the basic painting but this afternoon I started to lining it using my bow pen.

There are a couple of clean up/touch up areas to address once the paint is a little drier. Also, I'm going to have another look at the bit of horizontal lining under the cab windows. The corners were touched in using a OOO brush.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #477 on: September 26, 2018, 07:22:11 PM »
Now that the County is out of the way for a few days, I've been able to turn my attention to a commission project, an BR V3. This body is the third of the prototype prints I had done at the beginning of the year and, as a result, needed some details adding. This was done a little while ago along with the basic painting but this afternoon I started to lining it using my bow pen.

There are a couple of clean up/touch up areas to address once the paint is a little drier. Also, I'm going to have another look at the bit of horizontal lining under the cab windows. The corners were touched in using a OOO brush.

Steve

As ever another truly brilliant bit of modelling, even if its of LNER origin :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #478 on: September 26, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »
Steve

Thanks Paul,

Fingers crossed it doesn't get messed up when I apply the red lining - and then manage to repeat it on the other side!!!  :smiley-laughing:

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #479 on: September 26, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »
Steve

Thanks Paul,

Fingers crossed it doesn't get messed up when I apply the red lining - and then manage to repeat it on the other side!!!  :smiley-laughing:

As if you would have any problems like that, now us lesser mortals........ (today I glued my fingers together twice, but they were different fingers) :)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything