!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 50246 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #435 on: September 09, 2018, 10:17:51 PM »
That's looking positively great, Steve :goggleeyes:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #436 on: September 09, 2018, 10:35:09 PM »
That's looking positively great, Steve :goggleeyes:

Seconded!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: September 10, 2018, 08:23:31 AM »
Thank you everyone. This one has been a bit of a watsit as all the drawings I have contain incorrect details and I've had to do a lot of working out and plotting positions and sizes from photographs (which thankfully, I have plenty of). That's not to say that isn't what I usually do but I'm usually blessed with having accurate (and verifiable) dimensions marked.

Railgooner, The print was done on my B9Creator which isn't without its own issues. The final prototype prints will probably be produced by Shapeways as, while there is a little more cleaning up, I can include more detail on the rear face of the model as FXD (or whatever its now called!) doesn't use a support system that is physically attached to the model in the same material.

Roy, thanks for the faith you continue to show in my efforts. I'm not sure any of my models are really exceptional but I'll do my best with this one.

Paul, it is green but this is what I would call a moldy green!  :smiley-laughing:

I hope to get this done as a cast kit which will remove the need to clean up 3D prints. However, this will take time to develop and I'll need to sort out brass casting for some parts as they'll be quite fragile in any other material.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #438 on: September 10, 2018, 05:37:25 PM »
Steve - as ever another BRILLIANT model, you truly underestimate your work :)

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #439 on: September 10, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »
Steve - as ever another BRILLIANT model, you truly underestimate your work :)

Thank you Paul, it is kind of you to say so. For ever model that makes it off the bench, I think that there are always one or two more that didn't quite make it and need a rethink before they see fruition (if they ever do!).

Speaking of which, those with good memories may remember a few months/pages back I obtained a NQP Dapol Britannia and a NQP Dapol Grange in the hope that I might be able to combine the Britannia's wheels and the Grange's chassis to create the basis for an LNER C1 Atlantic. Unfortunately, Dapol didn't use the same size gear wheel for the driven axles of these two locos and also redesigned the axle so that they could not be swapped without modification (and risk of damaging the axles). Therefore the project was once again shelved.

Fast forward to June and I was lucky enough to arrange a swap of some locomotive bodies for chassis units with a 2mm fine scale modeller. Within that little lot was the remains of a Dapol Hall chassis. This went unnoticed due to various events that lead to another bout of depression and some other health issues.

Fast forward again to today. I spent quite a bit of time today measuring the Black Five chassis and transferring it into CAD to get the fixing points correct for the County. Yes, you would think that would have been the first thing I would have done but, when I started the project, I wasn't in the best frame of mind and this didn't occur to me for some reason - I almost got away with just measuring and transferring directly to the loco body too!

Anyway, after several hours of doing this, I'd just about lost the will to live and needed to do something else. While searching for that something else, I came across the remains of the Hall and the Britannia. Anyway, long story short, the Hall and the Britannia both use the same size of axle gear and therefore are compatible! I'll need to shim one or two of the gears in the gear chain to stop them disengaging but this is easy to do. Having proven that I could fit the Brit wheels, I found a very old C1 body that I designed awhile back - it also has several mistakes that I'd like to correct but is accurate in the major dimensions. Anyway, bluetacked onto the the chassis with a spare Farish bogie temporarily standing in, the C1 concept...

The Brit wheels are slightly too small for a C1 (but bigger than the Hall's wheels) and the Hall chassis is a scale two inches too long in the coupled wheelbase but I think it is close enough - due to how close together the coupled wheels are, I couldn't fit anything bigger anyway! The loco body will need to be completely redesigned to both correct mistakes and make it easier to fit properly on the Hall/Brit chassis. As I've got plenty of other things that I need to get through, I doubt this will progress for a few more months but I'm very happy that there maybe a way of making a close to scale C1 after all!

Online joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #440 on: September 10, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »
Steve, to do all that you must be the most patient man in the whole wide world.

Bravo

Joe

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #441 on: September 10, 2018, 10:52:16 PM »
I test printed the current GWR County loco body and decided to quickly spray it up using Tayima paints (hence the wrong shade of green) as it was coming with me to TINGS yesterday.

Please note that, other than removing the printing supports, no cleaning up or rubbing down of this print had taken place - hence the strange pattern on the boiler. However, I hope that you can see some of the detail that's been incorporated into the CAD.

I have just caught up with your progress on the County - looking good, are you still working on the chimney?

All the best,

Alex

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #442 on: September 10, 2018, 10:55:14 PM »
I test printed the current GWR County loco body and decided to quickly spray it up using Tayima paints (hence the wrong shade of green) as it was coming with me to TINGS yesterday.

Please note that, other than removing the printing supports, no cleaning up or rubbing down of this print had taken place - hence the strange pattern on the boiler. However, I hope that you can see some of the detail that's been incorporated into the CAD.

I have just caught up with your progress on the County - looking good, are you still working on the chimney?

All the best,

Alex

Hi Alex

I saw the County at TINGS, the angle of this photo doesn't do it justice, I would say the chimney is spot on.

Roy

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #443 on: September 10, 2018, 11:03:24 PM »
Roy, the chimney appears to be correct for County of Middlesex, but it was the only one of the class to have that type of Double chimney. all the others had a more squat double chimney fitted, so while I was at Didcot I took a number of photographs of an original one destined to be put on the new build County and sent them to Steve. here are a few below:

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:28:00 PM by Hailstone »

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #444 on: September 10, 2018, 11:29:44 PM »
The chimney is scaled as best I can from the photos Alex (thanks again for those) and is shorter than the drawings for the one fitted to the prototype. The one on the test print wouldn't be as high as the safety valve cover (if it had been fitted) and is about level (actually a smidge lower) with the cab roof.

I'll have another look at it though in a couple of days.

Edit: If anything, I think the elliptical shape of the chimney (from the top) may be too curved. Also, the lip might be a little high which (I'm talking about 0.25-0.35mm here) and might look better a little lower. I'll have a look again but I want to finish CADing the Farish donor chassis first and I'm out all Wednesday...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:55:51 PM by Atso »

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #445 on: September 10, 2018, 11:31:52 PM »
Steve, to do all that you must be the most patient man in the whole wide world.

Bravo

Joe

Thank you Joe. I'm really not all that patient really - I just learnt that being impatient usually leads to me having to do things more than once and therefore taking longer than if I had been patient!

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #446 on: September 10, 2018, 11:57:47 PM »
I would be willing to bet that you make a lot less mistakes than me!

All the best,

Alex

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #447 on: September 11, 2018, 12:04:10 AM »
 I just learnt that being impatient usually leads to me having to do things more than once and therefore taking longer than if I had been patient!

A lesson I learnt the hard way. Trouble is, occasionally my head is so focused on getting the job done :doh: that I forget what I've learnt. :dunce: :D
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #448 on: September 11, 2018, 12:04:23 AM »
I would be willing to bet that you make a lot less mistakes than me!

All the best,

Alex

I make plenty of mistakes Alex but I try hard not to post too many of them!   :smiley-laughing:

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #449 on: September 11, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
I recall one of my grandfather's sayings, - "the man who never made a mistake,never made anything"
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything