!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 50164 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #420 on: September 03, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »
While I'm waiting for things to print and paint to dry on some commissions, I've turned my attention briefly to some long term conversion projects.

Four Dapol A3s that are in the process of being re-numbered/named and modified. These have been on the go on and off for a year now and are a useful set of filler projects in between other bits and pieces. From left to right there are:

A1 'Sceptre' c. 1933: Started life as a BR example that was gifted to me as it was a non-runner. I had a spare apple green boiler, cab and driving wheels which I substituted for the BR ones and repainted and lined the splashers. The smokebox has had the superheater covers carefully sanded off and the pipework and reversing gear as been transplanted to the right hand side of the boiler to give a reasonable approximation of an A1. Strictly speaking the cab should have the earlier large cutouts but I decided this was a step too far. The Westinghouse pump is a spare from a Dapol Terrier mounted on a simple 'L' shaped bracket that I made out of 0.5mm plastic. The lining on the pump was made using some decal paper, sprayed with Precision gloss Doncaster Green and a thin white line was ruled onto the decal using a bow pen - I'll be adding the associated pipework at some point!

A3 'Harvester' c. 1933: Many of the same modifications as per Sceptre but, as this one is an A3, it retains the superheater covers on the smokebox. This loco was purchased as a returned LNER green item from the Dapol open day.

A1 'Great Northern' c. 1938: A birthday present from my better half in June (the newest of these projects!) which was obtained as an absolute bargain on Ebay. So far I've renumbered it but not yet carried out the modifications to make in an A1. One this locomotive, removing the tender letters (I don't like Dapol's effort on this model) resulted in a loss of paint and some unsightly black patches. Therefore, I carefully masked up the lining and outer sections and resprayed the center section with Precision gloss Donny green before applying the lettering. Although I've renumber the loco, the nameplate still betrays its origins as 'Papyrus'!

A1 'Isinglass' c. 1935: Another returned item from the Dapol open day and returned to working order (at £35 each, who could refused!). I've still got to reinstate the handrails having sanded off the superheater covers and finish transplanting the various bits to the right hand side of the boiler. It is presently missing its tender as I'm having to repaint a GNR BR liveried spare. I've chosen this particular locomotive as a nod to Andy at Isinglass Models who has been so helpful in supplying me with drawings for my 3D printed projects over the years.

There is still plenty to do on these such has painting in the missing bits from the wheels, correcting the green valances and fitting the various other bits in the detailing packs (where I have them, scratch built where I don't). In the end I'll have another four Gresley Pacifics available for my future layout, each subtly different to the others.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #421 on: September 03, 2018, 07:47:11 PM »
While I'm waiting for things to print and paint to dry on some commissions, I've turned my attention briefly to some long term conversion projects.

Four Dapol A3s that are in the process of being re-numbered/named and modified. These have been on the go on and off for a year now and are a useful set of filler projects in between other bits and pieces. From left to right there are:

A1 'Sceptre' c. 1933: Started life as a BR example that was gifted to me as it was a non-runner. I had a spare apple green boiler, cab and driving wheels which I substituted for the BR ones and repainted and lined the splashers. The smokebox has had the superheater covers carefully sanded off and the pipework and reversing gear as been transplanted to the right hand side of the boiler to give a reasonable approximation of an A1. Strictly speaking the cab should have the earlier large cutouts but I decided this was a step too far. The Westinghouse pump is a spare from a Dapol Terrier mounted on a simple 'L' shaped bracket that I made out of 0.5mm plastic. The lining on the pump was made using some decal paper, sprayed with Precision gloss Doncaster Green and a thin white line was ruled onto the decal using a bow pen - I'll be adding the associated pipework at some point!

A3 'Harvester' c. 1933: Many of the same modifications as per Sceptre but, as this one is an A3, it retains the superheater covers on the smokebox. This loco was purchased as a returned LNER green item from the Dapol open day.

A1 'Great Northern' c. 1938: A birthday present from my better half in June (the newest of these projects!) which was obtained as an absolute bargain on Ebay. So far I've renumbered it but not yet carried out the modifications to make in an A1. One this locomotive, removing the tender letters (I don't like Dapol's effort on this model) resulted in a loss of paint and some unsightly black patches. Therefore, I carefully masked up the lining and outer sections and resprayed the center section with Precision gloss Donny green before applying the lettering. Although I've renumber the loco, the nameplate still betrays its origins as 'Papyrus'!

A1 'Isinglass' c. 1935: Another returned item from the Dapol open day and returned to working order (at £35 each, who could refused!). I've still got to reinstate the handrails having sanded off the superheater covers and finish transplanting the various bits to the right hand side of the boiler. It is presently missing its tender as I'm having to repaint a GNR BR liveried spare. I've chosen this particular locomotive as a nod to Andy at Isinglass Models who has been so helpful in supplying me with drawings for my 3D printed projects over the years.

There is still plenty to do on these such has painting in the missing bits from the wheels, correcting the green valances and fitting the various other bits in the detailing packs (where I have them, scratch built where I don't). In the end I'll have another four Gresley Pacifics available for my future layout, each subtly different to the others.

Even though they are the wrong colour and company, its still brilliant work.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #422 on: September 04, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »

Thanks Mr Price! Are these starting to get you hankering for one of your own to represent a diversion working???  You really need to have at least one 'proper' locomotive! :D :smiley-laughing:

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #423 on: September 04, 2018, 11:09:00 AM »
Yeah, that Mr Price seems fixated on those red things, he gets all bent out of shape when I mention hacking Peco Jubilees into Lord Nelsons or using their chassis for King Arthurs.  :whistle:
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #424 on: September 04, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »
Yeah, that Mr Price seems fixated on those red things, he gets all bent out of shape when I mention hacking Peco Jubilees into Lord Nelsons or using their chassis for King Arthurs.  :whistle:

I've noticed that too! The thing is that the Jubilee chassis is so adaptable to more useful locomotives. I'll be making my 'Sam Fay' (one day!) using bits and pieces donated from the Farish Jubilee chassis and drive with a little help from N-Stars in Holland; who built me a correct wheelbase tender drive out of the Jubilee unit and a spare Union Mills GCR tender body. It hauled twelve bogie coaches up a 1 in 19 gradient on test in Holland!

https://youtu.be/6quTygHzp9M

I just need time to refine the body and print the final version for finishing. It'll be strictly a personal project, other than a second one being built for N-Stars, and will end up being somewhat more expensive than the donor Jubilee!

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #425 on: September 04, 2018, 09:51:33 PM »

Thanks Mr Price! Are these starting to get you hankering for one of your own to represent a diversion working???  You really need to have at least one 'proper' locomotive! :D :smiley-laughing:

I have three mouldy green locomotives in the fleet, which is more than enough, thankyou  :P

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #426 on: September 04, 2018, 10:41:27 PM »

I have three mouldy green locomotives in the fleet, which is more than enough, thankyou  :P

If they're mouldy then they've been painted in GWR or BR green. What you need is a big 4-6-2 in lovely apple green!  :D :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #427 on: September 05, 2018, 09:09:18 AM »
I'm out for most of the day but, not wanting to get too involved with a commission, I spent an hour this morning working on the boiler for Great Northern. Main handrails removed along with the vacuum ejector pipe removed which then had the holes filled and made good. Superheater header covers removed (hence the removal of the main handrails) and carefully sanded back flush with the smoke box. Patch painted with satin black for the smoke box and Precision gloss Donny Green mixed equally with matt varnish and thinned with white spirit to make also a wash to better blend it in with the original paint work.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #428 on: September 06, 2018, 09:35:49 AM »
Another hour this morning to reinstate the boiler handrails, I noticed that I'd managed to knock the handrails on the smoke box door off as some point so I did this too. The vacuum ejector pipe has been transplanted over to the right hand side of the boiler and various additional bits of patch painting have been undertaken - you can see the patch painted green in this picture but I'm hopeful that, once matt varnished and lightly weathered, it'll blend in nicely.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #429 on: September 06, 2018, 07:24:50 PM »
After a day wrestling with the CAD for the GWR County 4-6-0, I decided to paint the missing lining on to the tender and Cartazzi truck for Great Northern using a bow pen. The front bogie wheels have had a wash of white paint put into their centers. Once dry, I'll carefully paint in a black dot.

I've also painted out the incorrect green on the loco's valance and had to respray inside the tender lining as I'd accidentally removed the paint when I removed the original, too large, lettering. The two pence piece is to give an idea of the scale of the Dapol A3 donor (still retaining its original 'Papyrus' nameplates!).

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #430 on: September 09, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »
I test printed the current GWR County loco body and decided to quickly spray it up using Tayima paints (hence the wrong shade of green) as it was coming with me to TINGS yesterday.

Please note that, other than removing the printing supports, no cleaning up or rubbing down of this print had taken place - hence the strange pattern on the boiler. However, I hope that you can see some of the detail that's been incorporated into the CAD.

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #431 on: September 09, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »
Oh my,that's looking very promising :drool:

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #432 on: September 09, 2018, 07:13:11 PM »
I test printed the current GWR County loco body and decided to quickly spray it up using Tayima paints (hence the wrong shade of green) as it was coming with me to TINGS yesterday.

Please note that, other than removing the printing supports, no cleaning up or rubbing down of this print had taken place - hence the strange pattern on the boiler. However, I hope that you can see some of the detail that's been incorporated into the CAD.

Its looking very very good, even if its another GREEN locomotive :)

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #433 on: September 09, 2018, 07:14:55 PM »

:drool: Well if all prints came out that clean I'd use a heck of a lot more.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #434 on: September 09, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »
I test printed the current GWR County loco body and decided to quickly spray it up using Tayima paints (hence the wrong shade of green) as it was coming with me to TINGS yesterday

Having seen the print in the flesh yesterday, good though the picture is, it really doesn't do the print justice. The level of detail, rivets etc is incredible. I said yesterday, such is the quality of the print straight off the machine, there are plenty who wouldn't bother cleaning it up, it really is good enough just as it is.

It is nice to see it all coming together on the donor chassis and I know from what Steve has produced to date it will be of an exceptional standard when finished.

Roy

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations