!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 58308 times)

Offline R Marshall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #300 on: December 14, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »
Steve,

Great news about the A5 - I'll watch with interest - Darlington had about 10 of them in the early 1950s.

Your Scotsman looks great. Do you find the Dapol Cartazzi truck jumps around a lot in running? I've only got one Dapol Pacific (60022) and the truck on that seems to be very light, whereas the trucks on my Farish Pacfics are much steadier.

Regards,

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #301 on: December 14, 2017, 06:00:54 PM »
Your Scotsman looks great. Do you find the Dapol Cartazzi truck jumps around a lot in running? I've only got one Dapol Pacific (60022) and the truck on that seems to be very light, whereas the trucks on my Farish Pacfics are much steadier.

This one doesn't seem to be a problem although some of my others do exhibit that tendency. I believe that Dr Al found that some of the running plates on some of his pacifics were riding a little high and that this didn't help. I know that at least three of mine are high but I've not had them apart yet to correct this.

The Farish Cartazzi trucks are part of the drawbar and therefore much more stable (and to be honest look better). It might be possible to do something similar with the Dapol A3s/A4s but it'll be awhile before I look into this.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: December 14, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »
I believe that Dr Al found that some of the running plates on some of his pacifics were riding a little high and that this didn't help. I know that at least three of mine are high but I've not had them apart yet to correct this.

Not so much high, as that many sit nose down meaning the footplate above the drivers is not horizontal. It looks odd (very noticable sitting next to a platform), can cause clashing with the coupling box at the front end (when corrected the cutout on the bufferbeam can be filled), and does mean the gap between the rear truck and the footplate can be large.

More generally, the design of the truck is fairly poor - it relies on the screw and the brass insert you screw it into being set up just correctly. Often they aren't meaning the thing sits at an angle - either the brass piece is pushed home too far or not enough.

The Farish Cartazzi trucks are part of the drawbar and therefore much more stable (and to be honest look better). It might be possible to do something similar with the Dapol A3s/A4s but it'll be awhile before I look into this.

Farish execution of this is far superior. I doubt that there's much option to change the Dapol ones significantly, though cutting out the slop by removal of the slotted nature of the attachment would help a lot in control of the truck.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: December 14, 2017, 07:12:50 PM »
Alan,

I'd had an idle thought (ie not followed up by trying anything yet) that perhaps a light helical spring, if it could be fitted, might exert some gentle downward pressure on the truck?

Regards,

Roy

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: December 15, 2017, 12:49:16 AM »
Alan,

I'd had an idle thought (ie not followed up by trying anything yet) that perhaps a light helical spring, if it could be fitted, might exert some gentle downward pressure on the truck?

Regards,

Roy

It's a possibility - though actually, I've rarely found that tracking is the issue with this - they generally stay on track ok (which I actually find surprising), but often sit skew up or skew down, and look pretty mediocre. Height can be adjusted as I say with careful adjustment of the attachment bolt, but I've not graduated to cutting down the lateral slop.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #305 on: January 31, 2018, 07:03:08 PM »
Something that I've been working on and off with for a few months now and (shock horror!!!!!) it's not an LNER locomotive!  :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

Trying to work out the correct shape of the firebox has been a real PITA but I think I'm just about there with it now. Still plenty of detailing to do with this one!

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #306 on: January 31, 2018, 07:45:19 PM »
That long splasher makes it quite attractive.

One of Hawksworth's Counties (not very familiar with Swindon products, so hesitant)?

Regards,

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #307 on: January 31, 2018, 08:14:10 PM »
One of Hawksworth's Counties (not very familiar with Swindon products, so hesitant)?

You are quite correct Roy, it is a County. It is one of the few GWR 4-6-0 types I can confidently identify without having to look it up or look at the nameplates for a clue!  :smiley-laughing:

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: February 01, 2018, 01:45:29 AM »
Just when I was getting somewhere building mine!

Regards,

Alex

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #309 on: February 01, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »
Just when I was getting somewhere building mine!

That's looking really good Alex!  8)

In my defense, I did make noises that I'd be looking into this one on the County topic in the kit built locos section...  :sorrysign: :sorrysign:

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: February 01, 2018, 11:58:27 AM »
Thanks for the compliment Steve, I have posted the progress of the build here:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23691.75

But I must admit I like the look of your county body a lot, how much more do you need to do before a test print? it would certainly save me a lot of cursing swearing and filing (I have done a lot of that already!) as you can see on my workbench, I did not start with the drawing, so ended up a bit short in length, but lucky for me, the 8F firebox was short by almost the exact amount!
please keep going Steve, I am really pleased that you have taken this on (any chance that your body would fit a peco jubilee chassis?)

Regards,

Alex

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: February 01, 2018, 01:28:58 PM »
That's an impressive bit of hacking of the old diecast Farish bodies Alex!

I've already printed an initial rough and ready model to check its fit on the Farish Black Five chassis (the newer tender driven version).

I find this kind of thing useful and it has already been altered slightly from this version by decreasing the angle of the firebox slope.

Will it fit a Peco Jubilee? I honestly don't know and don't actually a whole own one to check (I have a handful of spare parts though, about 50% of what's required to make one up). My guess would be that the loco body might fit but slightly high due to the 6'9 drivers but I don't think the tender body would.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:16:45 PM by Atso »

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2018, 02:19:15 PM »
The County being undertaken by Hailstone and Atso are both very interesting projects.

It surprises me that a commercially available county has not already been made, but then I think 3D will make increasing inroads into our hobby filling many gaps.

Do you make your own 3D prints Atso or are they something that comes through Shapeway's?

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2018, 04:34:14 PM »
The County being undertaken by Hailstone and Atso are both very interesting projects.

It surprises me that a commercially available county has not already been made, but then I think 3D will make increasing inroads into our hobby filling many gaps.

Do you make your own 3D prints Atso or are they something that comes through Shapeway's?

Thank you trkilliman,

I'm surprised as well, I would say that it can't be miles off but then again there has been a slow down in the announcement, development and release of new models recently.

In answer to your question, I have my own 3D printer, a B9Creator, but also use Shapeways, iMaterialise and occasionally others - it all depends on which method/printer can get the best results for what I want. The roughed out test prints pictured above were done on the B9 and I think that the final loco body will be produced using this machine (I hope to cast these). The tender however warps no matter how I try and orientate in on my machine, therefore this will likely end up being sent to Shapeways or similar for final printing.

Whichever printer ends up being used, there will be a post finishing process required (sanding down) before I'm happy with them.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #314 on: February 01, 2018, 06:16:04 PM »
Some more detailing work done on the County. The drawings do not show the location of the rivets so these have been plotted from suitable photographs - all in all most time consuming!

Still plenty left to do on this!!!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here