!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 58312 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2017, 05:02:05 PM »
Thank you Mr Price!  :)

Having finally gotten the parts to restore my own printer to working order, I've printed a test piece which came out well enough to be used for another model...

The tender has been stolen from a J39 for photographic purposes only, although it is of the correct type for a mid 1930's K3/1.

I've now got a long queue of bits to print to clear the backlog....

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »
Things have kicked up a gear now with these three!

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »
This is incredible - It's like Doncaster and Darlington combined output!

Amazing work.

Many thanks and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #258 on: October 07, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »
This is incredible - It's like Doncaster and Darlington combined output!

Amazing work.

Many thanks and best wishes.

John

Thank you John. Somebody (who'll remain nameless) invited me to be a demonstrator at a local show next weekend so I really need some quick wins to bolster my modest collection of finished models. Even if these aren't quite finished, I'm sure that they'll be complete enough to exhibit. It is also interesting to see just how quickly something like this can be turned around as I'm not always the fastest of workers.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: October 07, 2017, 12:41:27 PM »
Things have kicked up a gear now with these three!

Looking great as usual, good luck with the exhibition  :thumbsup:

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: October 08, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
Thank you Mr Price!  :)

Having finally gotten the parts to restore my own printer to working order, I've printed a test piece which came out well enough to be used for another model...

The tender has been stolen from a J39 for photographic purposes only, although it is of the correct type for a mid 1930's K3/1.

I've now got a long queue of bits to print to clear the backlog....

Is that on an N class chassis?  I was wondering whether your later K3 body would fit the N chassis, it looks about right and possibly preferable to rewheeling a V2.  I'm going to need a couple of K3s at some point.

Richard

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: October 08, 2017, 08:13:38 AM »
Is that on an N class chassis?  I was wondering whether your later K3 body would fit the N chassis, it looks about right and possibly preferable to rewheeling a V2.  I'm going to need a couple of K3s at some point.

Richard

Hi Richard, that is indeed on an N class chassis (as is the N2 and V1). However, both the K3s I've built using the N class have had the CAD modified to allow the body to fit - the one from Shapeways won't as supplied (although is can be hacked around with care). The N class is a close match for the K3 if you're happy to accept some compromises on overall dimensions (I think its better than the V2 option) but you've got the problem of having to unsolder the DCC plug in the tender and then sorting out an LNER style replacement and resolder the DCC plug. I'm lucky enough to have a few V2 tender chassis and frame mouldings having bought the last remaining ones from BR lines (last remaining that Bob could find at the time anyway) but I'm also working on a replacement of my own to utilise the N class's tender wheels - as with all things, time is the limiting factor here.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: October 08, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »

Thank you and thank you, Mr Price! I'm actually quite nervous. I've helped with operating a couple of layouts and covered a demonstrator for a lunch break before (just sat there for 30 minutes really) but this is the first time I'm really out on my own with no friendly people to run and give backup when I get stuck!

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: October 08, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »

Thank you and thank you, Mr Price! I'm actually quite nervous. I've helped with operating a couple of layouts and covered a demonstrator for a lunch break before (just sat there for 30 minutes really) but this is the first time I'm really out on my own with no friendly people to run and give backup when I get stuck!
Ha in that case next year we are at Warely, and guess who will get an operating invite

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #264 on: October 08, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »
Ha in that case next year we are at Warely, and guess who will get an operating invite

Will running rights be granted to some LNER locomotive then???  :D

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: October 09, 2017, 06:53:26 AM »

Will running rights be granted to some LNER locomotive then???  :D

Maybe

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #266 on: October 10, 2017, 10:53:13 AM »

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #267 on: October 10, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »
Another locomotive has joined the works...

A Peppercorn K1, once again using an N class chassis. The print, other than having the supports removed and given a spray of primer has not had anything else done to it yet. At extreme close up and using a flash you can see most of the details I've incorporated into this print as well as just being able to see the 50 micron (0.05mm) build lines. These will clean up easily enough with a little careful work. Annoyingly there are a couple of minor misalignments along the running plate but these can be filled and sanded to make good.

The tender is a mix of a Dapol B1 frame set (motor removed) and an old Farish V2 tender top (as it doesn't have a hole for the drive shaft in the front!). The fit isn't perfect yet and it is the tender than is wonky, not the cab of the loco!

A couple of little bits to do to sort out the ride height of the locomotive and then I'll be cleaning it up. It'll be with me a TaD-Rail on Saturday if anyone is interested in seeing it but it will be far from finished by then as the BR double lining is more complex than the LNER's single lined mixed traffic black (which is underway on the other three at the moment).

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations