!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 73710 times)

Online Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #795 on: May 11, 2020, 10:39:22 PM »
Clearly my third attempt at answering this enjoyable puzzle would have been the Far Twittering and Oysterperch 0-6-4.

By the way, does anyone have a photo of this rare and elusive locomotive?   :dunce: :worried: :worried: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #796 on: May 12, 2020, 09:05:59 PM »
The bits for the C1 are now printing so I've turned my attention to another project that was started a long long time ago...

The Sam Fay has been found and handrail knobs added to the loco and tender. While the tender body is a Union Mills unit, it is actually a custom unit from N Stars and hauled twelve Minitrix MK1s up a 1 in 19 gradient on test. I've got some rivet transfers with me somewhere so I might go to town on the tender frames before proceeding further.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #797 on: May 12, 2020, 10:32:18 PM »
Clearly my third attempt at answering this enjoyable puzzle would have been the Far Twittering and Oysterperch 0-6-4.

By the way, does anyone have a photo of this rare and elusive locomotive?   :dunce: :worried: :worried: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100613233836/http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/125474

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline icairns

• N Gauge Society Number: 6662
  • 2mm Association Number: 5510
    • Awards
« Reply #799 on: May 13, 2020, 12:57:51 AM »
Information on Far Twittering & Oysterperch attached.  At least with an 0-2-0 loco, you don't have to worry about the front bogie derailing.

Until I read the link in Train Waiting's post, I had never heard of the Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Railway.  Interesting post!

Ian

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #800 on: May 15, 2020, 10:03:44 PM »
Another two locos started with the intention of getting several models ready to paint before proceeding further.

At the front is 3286 which was a King's Cross loco until the end of 1935 after which it moved to Hitchin for three or four years. Behind it is 4436 which was a King's Cross loco throughout my modelling period. While this haven't been primed yet, hopefully some of the detail differences between the locos can be seen.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #801 on: May 20, 2020, 11:20:04 PM »
It's been a few days without an update, mainly because I've been distracted by this.

A 1/1000 scale TOS Enterprise kit that I got well over ten years ago. It got part built and then forgotten about and was missing a couple of parts and needed what seems like its original weight in filler to make good on the joins and seem lines. It also suffered from a broken nacelle that needed to be fixed. I might just finish it one day! Despite the design being well over fifty years old, I still think that this is one of the most pleasing sci-fi ships ever to grace the TV screen (although I do slightly prefer the refit seen in the first six films).

Anyway, back to locomotives and 3286 received a coat of primer.

A few bits still to clean up before I fit the handrails.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #802 on: May 31, 2020, 09:26:17 PM »
3286 and 4436 have begun the painting process and the driving wheels are being lined out.

I've also been playing with painting the Enterprise. I wanted to try doing some shading work with the airbrush to give the impression of the saucer deflector grid and panelling. Nothing fancy really, the base coat is Tamiya Royal Light Grey, the straight lines were shaded using German Grey and masking tape, while the circular lines were done using Royal Light Grey with a couple of drops of German Grey added. I quite like the effect it has produced, much more subtle in reality but catches the light nicely.

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #803 on: May 31, 2020, 10:29:41 PM »
Steve, your workbench  Photos, often throws us some nice interesting  suprises , the locos look great but the SS Enterprise  is wonderful. Agree the design has stood the test of time for Sci -  Fi ships but  William T Shrtnerís acting has not!

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #804 on: June 05, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
Steve, your workbench  Photos, often throws us some nice interesting  suprises , the locos look great but the SS Enterprise  is wonderful. Agree the design has stood the test of time for Sci -  Fi ships but  William T Shrtnerís acting has not!

Thanks Carl. The Enterprise has been an equal mix of fun and frustration and nothing more has happened with it since my last post. However, I do have some more Royal Light grey now so hopefully some more work will be done on it next week.

I agree that Bill Shatner's TV performance hasn't aged well - although his efforts in the movies were much better. Similarly the TOS Enterprise is only just eclipsed by the original movie version, which in my opinion is still the best sci-fi ship of all time.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #805 on: June 05, 2020, 05:08:40 PM »
While the Enterprise has been on hold, the C1 Atlantics have not and the lining process has commenced. Again, this has been done using my bow pens and fine brushes.

First of all, I applied the basic white lining to the locos.

The washout plugs/mudhole doors were roughly lined out using a fine brush. The photograph below shows that I'm not really all that tidy with my paint application.

However another fine brush, moistened with white spirit (almost dry) works wonders in removing the excess paint and manipulating what's left into something a little tidier.

Once I'd finished applying the white lining to both sides of the loco, it was time to start applying the black paint using a fine brush and tidying up.

As I could apply a different colour without disturbing the black, I picked out the brass work on the locos. This highlights the different locations of the worksplates.

The tenders haven't been forgotten...

The next job is to add the black and brass to the other side of the locos and tenders. Then I'll need to add the red lining to the valances and frames before adding the lining to the buffer beams and cab fronts. The it's adding the boiler bands and panelling which, being triple lined, will be done using hand painted decals.

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #806 on: June 05, 2020, 06:34:08 PM »
Lovely stuff Steve, you, Dr Al  ,Snowwolflair and all the other worthies of this forum ,have made this lockdown endurable, I for one think it stopped me going stir crazy.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #807 on: June 07, 2020, 07:35:18 AM »
Lovely stuff Steve, you, Dr Al  ,Snowwolflair and all the other worthies of this forum ,have made this lockdown endurable, I for one think it stopped me going stir crazy.

Thanks Bill. I wouldn't class myself in the same league as the others you've quoted - just a go-lucky bodger really.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #808 on: June 07, 2020, 07:40:25 AM »
The black lining was painted onto the other side of the locos and tenders yesterday. Today I've made a start on the red lining.

A somewhat cruel closeup under intense light to show up the valance lining. This is actually Humbrol no. 20 gloss maroon as suggested by Ian Rathbone to give a more subtle effect. The lighting has also shown up that I wasn't as thorough as I though when I airbrushed the smokebox and cylinders. I'll have to rectify this before adding the final seal coats of varnish - plenty of time until then!  :doh:

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #809 on: June 07, 2020, 07:56:50 AM »
In other news, yesterday was apparently a significant day in my life - I've long since lost track of time this year!

Anyway, goodies were forthcoming which I understand made use of the additional discounts offered by DCC supplies on their returned items.

Not the clearest pic I'm afraid. At the back is a Dapol Hall which will donate its chassis components to another C1 at some point. At the front is Sea Eagle displaying evidence of severe over oiling in the past. I've already got Sea Eagle so some alterations and a repaint are on the cards. The decal sheet in the foreground should provide a hint at what's going to happen to this A4.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal