!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 39515 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #570 on: December 28, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »
Looking excellent already in just the primer Steve. Would the Dapol Terrier chassis fit the small tender and could that work as a self contained tender-drive? Gareth Collier seems to have had a good deal of success with this solution on some of his locos.

Look forward to seeing the tiny twins painted (no doubt then gaining some fancy LNER lettering). Would they have been in plain black by your chosen era or lined?

Roy

Hi Roy,

Many thanks for the kind words. The Terrier chassis is a lovely unit but a little short on the wheelbase. Also, I'd like to use traction tires and the Terrier is unusual in that Dapol decided to use 1mm axles rather than the more usual 1.5mm ones. If push comes to shove, I might well go down that route but I'd like to see if I can do something a little more correct for the tender, having spent a bit of time trying to get the loco as close to scale as N gauge allows.

Edit: Both will be in unlined black as the LNER 'economy measures' started in 1928 so anything that wasn't considered a mixed traffic locomotive was painted plain black (even though the J3s were still used as such). A shame as the locos would look lovely lined in red but it does make painting easier!

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #571 on: December 28, 2018, 02:35:49 PM »
Speaking of unlined black...

Painted with Vallejo acrylic Vermillion and Black using an airbrush. I'll give them a couple of days to harden and then I'll put a coat of Ronseal gloss varnish over the top before picking out details as necessary.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #572 on: December 28, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »
...having spent a bit of time trying to get the loco as close to scale as N gauge allows.

I nominate this as Forum understatement of the week!

Marvellous looking locomotives.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #573 on: December 28, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »
...having spent a bit of time trying to get the loco as close to scale as N gauge allows.

I nominate this as Forum understatement of the week!

Marvellous looking locomotives.

John

Frankly I'm quite pleased when the wheels don't fall of my models  :D

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #574 on: December 28, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »
Frankly I'm quite pleased when the wheels don't fall of my models  :D

To be honest, me too!  ;)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #575 on: December 30, 2018, 11:40:56 AM »
Ok, about as far from the J3 in terms of the time of building as I can get.

The test build of my revised L1 print. I've still got some snagging work to do on this one and a couple of minor things to redesign internally to make life easier but it is slowly coming along. This one already has a new home to go to (a layout being built, based on Whitby) and I hope to have this, and some of the variations, available for general sale later in 2019.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £315.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
105% 
January Donations

Advertise Here