!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minitrix Gresley teaks, how to strip and refinish to maroon  (Read 225 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Minitrix Gresley teaks, how to strip and refinish to maroon
« on: April 29, 2019, 03:41:54 PM »
Ive a rake of Minitrix Teak Gresley coaches waiting in the wings to be refinished BR Maroon. Ive just bought the paint from Fox’s as part of an order.
First i need to dissassemble the coaches to component parts before prep and paint.
Ive already searched on here for info on dismantling but cant find anything. Please can one of you outline the strip procedure so i dont go busting parts.
Im also looking to reduce their weight as they are heavy to pull on our club circuit which has some snake sections and incline. Its easy to get a Farish A4 spinning wheels.
In case anybody howls at respraying Minitrix, ive already a 9 coach teak rake in pristine condition

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
Re: Minitrix Gresley teaks, how to strip and refinish to maroon
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 03:55:58 PM »
I did exactly this repaint about twenty years ago, when the end of range could be bought for about £5 or less...……

The roof clip fits into the top of the glazing. Ease off with sharp instrument/thin plastic card/fingernails.

This exposes the body securing clips between the floor and chassis. Unclip using miniature screwdriver. Note the clips are handed so that the body goes back on the chassis the right way round.

Biggest problem; removing windows. These were glued into place, somewhat haphazardly. If you are lucky, the glue was placed on the thin strips which join the individual window glazing into a continuous strip and therefore are glued to the inside of the body away from windows. If you are unlucky, then liberal use was made of glue around the windows and frames themselves. It is then trail and error, trying to ease the window units away from the side; it may be possible to cut the small joining sprues and then ease out each window in turn. Can't generalise on this; each coach seemed to be glued a different way.

If required, detailing and conversion to different diagram can be made with Ultima/Etched Pixels parts, including roof ventilators, truss underframes, and there used to be etched brass two part replacement sides as well.

Removing the coach body exposes a steel weight which can be removed if required.

HTH

martyn

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:58:22 PM by martyn, Reason: Spelling »

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 05:16:26 PM »
Hi,
I've just been playing with some by chance, adding etched sides. First off they are very well clipped together so you will need to remove the roof first which has tabs that lock into the glazing strip. It really is a case of gently easing it up and the side out until one tab pops off then you should be able to get the rest. Be prepared for this not to work though and I was lucky as on a number of mine the roof would not budge so I just cut the sides off as I would need to anyway for the etched sides.
If you do manage to get the roof off then the chassis is clipped into the bottom of the glazing strip with tabs which you can ease out with a small screwdriver. Once off you will see the large weight which just falls out.
The next step is down to luck. Some have the glazing strip just clipped in but some are glued in. If glued you'll be lucky not to break the glazing or damage the coach side getting it out.
Simple  :confused1:

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »
This question has been entered twice on the Forum by the same person; I've answered on the other entry.

The original poster put the question at 03 43 18pm today and again at 03 41 54 pm.

Moderators-could you combine thread, please?

Martyn-
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:17:53 PM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 07:53:44 PM »
Moderators-could you combine thread, please?

Martyn-

Best to use the Report To Moderator button for things like this, as we don't read every post.  Thanks for informing us in any case.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 11:20:32 PM »
Without wanting to sound awkward, if you have some teak Minitrix Gresleys but want Maroon Gresleys, the easiest method is:
1. List Minitrix Gresleys on e-Bay.
2. With the proceeds of the sale buy Dapol Gresleys in Maroon.

At worst you should make enough from the sale to purchase 1 for 1 replacements in maroon; on recent prices, more likely nearer 3 Maroon Dapol for each two Teak Trix you sell...

The Dapol are so much freer running, (some would say too free) so no messing to reduce weight!

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
Thanks gentlemen for  the replies. And thanks moderators for merging the twin post data problem.
PLD, ive looked on Ebay but cant see any Minitrix Gresley Teak currently listed. How much have you seen them going for?
Ive also now stripped one Minitrix, or at least mostly stripped. The polystyrene glue has very well capillaried up one window section between the clear backing and the outer ‘teak’ such that the window wont release and has part cracked.
Ive given up on that one and re-assembled it. Now to try another as a test, at least I now know how to reach the metal weight and sample chopping some steel out to see what happens with stability. Grafar coaches are featherweight in comparison.
Kind regards Fred
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 10:29:31 AM by Fredastaire »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything