!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fleischmann 716x tender drive  (Read 106 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Fleischmann 716x tender drive
« on: September 17, 2019, 05:19:33 PM »
Is there any other motor that can be made to fit the tender drive, a new Fleischmann one is nigh on £53, I'm hoping there is something out there that will do the job for considerably less, without too much butchery.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Fleischmann 716x tender drive
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 06:40:18 PM »
Well, the double-ended motor I bought from N-Drive productions via ebay fits a Fleischmann centre-cab diesel perfectly! This is actually a slightly smaller size motor than the standard item found in other older Fleischmann locos. You'd have to cut the shaft off one end, and also the shaft is thinner than the Fleischman motor's, however N-Drive supply brass tube adapters with the motor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Drive-1015-12v-DC-micro-motor/182870714017

There are other similar 1015 / N20 sized single-ended motors that are even cheaper, I have a few but not actually tried them  yet. The trick is finding 12V rated motors.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-3V-12V-5V-6V-9V-22000RPM-High-Speed-Mini-Silent-N20-Motor-DIY-Hobby-Toy-Model/253476189767]]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-3V-12V-5V-6V-9V-22000RPM-High-Speed-Mini-Silent-N20-Motor-DIY-Hobby-Toy-Model/253476189767
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:46:43 PM »
The motor from an old Roco loco might fit but they did tend to be a bit sticky starting.   Years ago I replaced a Roco motor in a 2-10-0 with a Fleischmann motor (much better!) with just a little filing of the motor casing.

Doesn't help you now, but last year I picked up a couple of unused spare Fleischmann motors from Anoraks Anonymous at TINGS for about £10 each. I always try and rummage through their bargain bits boxes when I find them at a show :-)
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
I'd also say that the N-Drive motor might be a good bet. I purchased one from NBrass but haven't gotten around to fitting it to anything yet. At £7.50 it's not too big an investment if it can't be fitted.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 11:08:15 AM »
Bit of background, I've got a 7161 tender chassis which I would like to use behind either another UM T9 or behind a BHE N15 King Arthur of the 448-457 series; if I can find a suitable loco powered chassis that can go under the BHE N15,  I do have a 7161 tender  drive which I can then use on the T9 or other Drummond 4-4-0. The N15 needs a chassis with somewhere near 6'7" drivers (13mm) and spaced 7'+7'6". The old Poole chassis fail on the spacing and in most cases wheel diameter, which makes them look wrong.  I'm trying to model all the variants of the H15, N15 and S15 classes from Langley and BHE kits with a few extra bits thrown in (like a few had 6 wheel tenders for use on Eastern and Central section which had shorter turntables)

I'd als like to do a few more Drumond 4-4-0s, many of which also had the 8 wheel watercart tenders.

Mootorising the BHE N15 tenders is not a problem as I've shown on another thread using a UM drive and an extra pair of wheels.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

Advertise Here