!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol B Set-Fitting LBR  (Read 873 times)

Offline chris newman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27118
    • Awards
Dapol B Set-Fitting LBR
« on: October 28, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
Hi Guys
           Just got off Dapol digest, where Joel informs me that B sets are not fitted for LBR--so my question is has anybody attempted this--and if so how did you do this--(parts obtained/sourced from? etc)  MTIA

Regds

Chris

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol B Set-Fitting LBR
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:49:32 PM »
It would be same as converting any coaches to fit a lightbar. You would have to create pickups on atleast one set of bogies. this can be done different ways you could make something similar to the way dapol do on there LBR coaches or another way would be either using copper strips on inside of the wheels or using bare copper wire. you would then have to make a hole from the bogie to inside the coach nearest the pivot point is usually the best spot as there is far less movement. The hole would need to be oval shape to allow the bogie movement around corners.

Offline chris newman

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 01:31:33 PM »
GWR-Kris, sorry for delay in answering was indisposed yesterday.  Every thing you've said is right and not wishing to start an argument, but I was thinking along the lines of not just my particular case, where I don't just have unsteady hands but also suffer from mild Arthritis, but also for not so skilled modellers, for whom , having the parts easily sourced as spares/accessories from a Manufacturer, make it easier for to attempt their conversion!!

Regds

Chris

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »
I have seen wiper pickup kits for retro fitting to bogies albeit not dapol ones on sale at shows - DCC supplies had some so worth checking their website. - Pretty sure it works by having one bogie "+ve" and other "-ve."
With a Bset you should be able to wire set together and save on pick up drag.  I guess next time Dapol can look at tooling again.
Robert

Offline chris newman

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
Robert, thanks for your reply----so if I understand you correctly, one bogie will have "+" pick up on one side and at opposite end of train "-" pick up/return (on opposite side to first bogie)thinking of doing this at "Brake" ends)--surely there must be some connection between LB in each coach.  Also Need New wheels??
           Part of the reason I suggested/implied that it came from the original manufacturer was that I felt that if pick up's & wheels etc from the "Collet" coaches Could be used & Sold separately as accessories just makes it easier for "Sourcing" components.

Chris

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 03:16:55 PM »
The bogie to coach pickup is a phosbronze  plate on top of coach chassis and a curved cutout for pickup probe to run on, all lightly sprung. So even if as a spare some coach mod required.
Quite easily done on a DIY basis.  I would have thought tooling might be harder as metal would need adding to create slots for chassis.   

Robert

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything