!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion for RevolutioN -LT surface stock.  (Read 7040 times)

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for RevolutioN -LT surface stock.
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2016, 11:51:09 AM »
:bump:

The London Underground is a fascinating topic and I'd love to see an underground train in N gauge. Somewhere I even have ideas and plans for a TfL layout.

The problem I see is that the touristy souvenir market is different from the enthusiast one. I guess, tourists would want to buy a souvenir train that they have seen while staying in London.

I suspect most tourists would recognize the "classic" tube train stock, but be able to tell whether it's 1938, 1958, 1973, 1996 or whatever.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2016, 01:28:51 PM »
Yes, I guess the actual type would probably be irrelevant for the common tourist. I still believe, however, that the colour of the train plays an important part if aiming at the tourist market, as they wouldn't recognise a red or aluminium train as the tube but the red/white/blue ones they have travelled on.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2016, 01:48:30 PM »
Possibly, but the post-modernisation modellers have shown they have deep pockets and a willingness to engage with this sort of project. Look at the projects that have sailed through the Kickstarter aspect and become actual models. Such folks are going to want LT trains that will work nicely alongside their existing stock, and that's going to be the more modern stuff, surely?

Cheers, NeMo

Yes, I guess the actual type would probably be irrelevant for the common tourist. I still believe, however, that the colour of the train plays an important part if aiming at the tourist market, as they wouldn't recognise a red or aluminium train as the tube but the red/white/blue ones they have travelled on.
NGS Journal Editor

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2016, 01:54:51 PM »
Good point!
So something we can run alongside (or underneath :smiley-laughing:) our Pendolinos: 1972, 1995, 2009 or S stock :D

Michael
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:21:54 PM by mika »

Offline ohlavache

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25956
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2016, 08:52:48 AM »

I fear it's true even if the 1938 stock is the one I prefer.  :heart2:
Then I've searched for a rolling stock as close as possible to the 1938 one but that carried the red/white/blue livery. It seems that the 1960 stock may be the best candidate.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/juliang2006/14721260658/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:09:17 AM by ohlavache »

Wanted items (only in their original box):
- Union Mills, 3F 0-6-0 steam locomotive in LMS crimson

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »
1960 stock was only very limited operationally.

Personally I think the only choices are 1938 stock (or perhaps S stock for surface stock).

Cheers Mike

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2016, 10:25:16 AM »

I fear it's true even if the 1938 stock is the one I prefer.  :heart2:
Then I've searched for a rolling stock as close as possible to the 1938 one but that carried the red/white/blue livery. It seems that the 1960 stock may be the best candidate.

Any tourist would most likely be purchasing their model from the London Underground Museum (LUM). And they would most likely be doing so after touring the LUM. So they would most likely (a.) have some interest in the history of the LU, and (b.) have some awareness of historical LU stock/liveries. If (a.) doesn't apply then I have to ask, what are they doing at the LUM? And if (b.) doesn't apply on their arrival at the LUM, surely it will increasingly apply as they tour the LUM.

IMHO, the tourist is most likely to purchase a model of that which they see as quintessentially LU. IMHO, the quintessential LU stock is the 1938 stock.

Personally and speaking as a modeller of the MI/PP eras, I'd prefer S stock. But the collector in me would love to see (and would buy) 1938 stock.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal