!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Valanced A4  (Read 8906 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Valanced A4
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »
I've now got Sea Eagle and have to say I'm very happy with my A4.

I agree with Dr Al that the curve under the cylinders is wrong but I'm pretty sure that this is due to the limitations in injection moulding. The only way I could see this could be improved is to made the cylinders separate from the rest of the body (as Farish did with their A4). However this would probably result in a rather unsightly gap in the valances so I'm personally happy with the compromise.

I'm not so sure about the lack of valve gear though. While in motion (scale 60 mph+), I can honestly say that the lack of the gear isn't that noticeable but does stand out when the loco is stationary with the wheel crank at it's lowest point or moving slowly this does show up. I'm undecided if I'm going to try and lash something up or not though. However, for me the biggest problem with both the A3s and A4s is the Cartazzi truck as I think that Farish has done a far better job of modelling this feature on their A1s and A2s. Again, I'm not sure how I'll tackle modifying this but this is the one area I'd definitely be looking to improve.

Overall, I'm very happy with my A4 and it finally fills a gap in rtr n gauge that has been there far too long!  8)

Now I need to build a streamliner rake for Empire of India (Christmas present) and Silver Fox when it becomes available...

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 10:02:17 AM »
I'm not so sure about the lack of valve gear though. While in motion (scale 60 mph+), I can honestly say that the lack of the gear isn't that noticeable but does stand out when the loco is stationary with the wheel crank at it's lowest point or moving slowly this does show up. I'm undecided if I'm going to try and lash something up or not though.

It should definitely be possible - I have a converted Minitrix A4 that has all that gear in place and functioning.

The difficulty with the original Dapol A4 (and perhaps the real reason they didn't fit eccentrics) is that the motion bracket is bonded to the body, not the chassis - so fitting it with valances in play would be difficult. If it could be fitted to the chassis with the body removed it'd be far more simple to achieve.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 10:23:32 AM »
It should definitely be possible - I have a converted Minitrix A4 that has all that gear in place and functioning.

The difficulty with the original Dapol A4 (and perhaps the real reason they didn't fit eccentrics) is that the motion bracket is bonded to the body, not the chassis - so fitting it with valances in play would be difficult. If it could be fitted to the chassis with the body removed it'd be far more simple to achieve.

Hi Alan,

I couldn't agree more and I think that this is definitely an area where the design of Farish steam locomotives is better than Dapol's. My general experience of Farish is that I'm happy to disassemble everything and have a high degree of confidence that I can put everything back together again afterwards. Dapol's insistence on gluing bits onto the running plate makes life quite difficult in dismantling and servicing locomotives without breaking things in my opinion, hence my reluctance to 'mess around' with their locomotives (it's also a shame as some of their chassis would otherwise lend themselves very nicely to conversions).

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
To be fair, it's only the A4 that this is really a problem for - the other locos all can have their boilers removed to access worms etc, so it isn't so difficult.

I undertand why Dapol did it this way, but with I'm sure it's feasible to retrofit parts to make the valanced version even better. The valance internally may need thinned depending how thick it is, but the valve gear can probably be laterally compacted with a little care too. It may be that packing the central axle with washers so that it retains a fixed lateral position (and the outer drivers ar then the ones that move to take up curves) would help too.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 10:45:26 AM »
As an LMS man could I justify one?

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »
As an LMS man could I justify one?

Sure just change the geographic area you're modelling, get rid of the red stuff and replace with apple green and garter blue!!!  :P

Seriously though, it wasn't unknown for the LNER and LMS to share running rights over each other's metals in certain areas so maybe you could get away with one on a diversion?

Online joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »
For me one of the all-time great N gauge layouts is 'Springdale' by a certain Mr. Schofield set in West Yorkshire which is a perfect amalgam of LMS/LNER.

It has featured in both 'Railway Modeller' and the NGS Journal.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 06:27:42 PM »
For me one of the all-time great N gauge layouts is 'Springdale' by a certain Mr. Schofield set in West Yorkshire which is a perfect amalgam of LMS/LNER.

Springdale is one of the most inspirational N gauge layouts I have seen in print. It's ability to suggest a large mainline station and engine shed in a small space is extraordinary and as you say, it nicely combines LMS/LNER workings.  :thumbsup:

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »
Springdale is one of the most inspirational N gauge layouts I have seen in print. It's ability to suggest a large mainline station and engine shed in a small space is extraordinary and as you say, it nicely combines LMS/LNER workings.  :thumbsup:

Are there any links about to pictures/details of this layout?

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
Hi Alan,

Springdale made the journal a few years ago but I can't remember which issues off the top of my head. Best I can give you from a quick google search is the track plan.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-9840-0-50114300-1436519864.jpg

IIRC, the layout is less than 7' long but I might be mistaken on this...

Online joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 08:19:20 PM »
One of the things that impresses me about Springdale is the ballasting of the track.

The ballast looks like ballast and not "budgie seed".

Best regards,

Joe
P.S. Ireland 1 Austria 0 - Yes !

Offline JayM481

• N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 03:32:53 AM »

Are there any links about to pictures/details of this layout?

Cheers,
Alan

Just checked the NGS on-line journal index (http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=journal-index) and found it's in the 2005/2 issue, with a "revisited" article in 2006/5. There doesn't appear to be anything easily accessable on-line.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 04:49:20 AM »
Another reason to get the NGS Journal back issue CD - one of the best fivers I have ever spent!  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline smudger

• 2mm Association Number: 1952
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 06:24:57 PM »
Has anyone swapped a double chimney for a single? How easy it to get the old one off? Weighing up whether to get Empire of India or Gaugemaster's special edition of Union of South Africa.

Alan

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 10:57:24 PM »
Somehow, the valances really emphasise the wrong shaping of the cylinders on these - they should curve under more rapidly. Less noticable on unvalanced ones, though also there on those.

Cheers,
Alan
Having had a chance to see one in the flesh over the weekend, I concluded the opposite - the shape of the cylinders and the valence that should wrap around and curved under them (or more precisely the triangular gap left) was the thing that jarred most for me about the unvalenced version.

On the valenced version, yes, the are still too flat, but because it is a full length valence there was less visible behind it to compare to, so it didn't seem quite so obvious...

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal