!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol A4  (Read 72705 times)

Offline Les1952

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
Re: Dapol A4
« Reply #330 on: June 08, 2016, 10:36:38 PM »
To answer my own question about A4 front bogies.

I got fed up to the back teeth of my 60018's bogie going out of adjustment.  Every time I fixed it the same- about five laps later it took a dislike to a random point.  Note all five of the other A4s run perfectly, as do all nine A3s in current service.

Matters came to a head when I relaid the exit end of the clockwise fiddle yard on Hawthorn Dene. 60018 the only A4 that wouldn't run through (together with one WD and one 9F).

As a result I fetched an NQP A3 from the spares box and swapped the bogies over.  60018 now runs perfectly.

Trackholding is one of the areas where Farish A1s and A2s score- their bogies are a nightmare to put on the track without grabbing the engine by the valve gear (not recommended) but once on they stay on.  I don't use a rerailing ramp.  My friends who do all seem to lose traction tyres randomly......

Les

Offline potts

• Awards
« Reply #331 on: June 14, 2016, 08:06:16 PM »
I have two A4s and one has been a pig since day one, the other a dream. Any one want a pig cheap

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #332 on: June 14, 2016, 08:50:34 PM »
Any one want a pig cheap

What's wrong with it?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline potts

• Awards
« Reply #333 on: June 14, 2016, 09:10:14 PM »
Yet another with a stutter Dr.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #334 on: June 14, 2016, 11:05:22 PM »
Yet another with a stutter Dr.

Quite common this - it's a pickup issue that can be resolved.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline potts

• Awards
« Reply #335 on: June 15, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »
Tender pick ups you mean Alan i take it? :thankyousign:

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #336 on: June 15, 2016, 12:29:07 PM »
Tender pick ups you mean Alan i take it? :thankyousign:

No, there are already tender pickups fitted. The problem is that they aren't always very effective, so need some action to improve, mainly careful weighting of the tender. The loco picks up from all driving wheels, but the rear ones are tyred so therefore you only get really effective pickup from the front set. I've added pickups to the rear bogie for the worst offenders too.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline potts

• Awards
« Reply #337 on: June 15, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »
Thank you Alan that makes sense, i have plenty of dapol locos to practice on.

Offline rob

• Awards
« Reply #338 on: December 20, 2018, 05:16:46 PM »
Haven’t acquired one yet, but is there an insert available for the streamlined nose to fill the gap if the front coupling is removed?

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #339 on: December 20, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »
Haven’t acquired one yet, but is there an insert available for the streamlined nose to fill the gap if the front coupling is removed?

Short answer is no. But the bufferbeam is there and coupling hook, so removal of the functional coupler doesn't leave a massive gap.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything