!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Valanced A4  (Read 8390 times)

Offline MKP

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Valanced A4
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:56:35 PM »
got a few of these dropped off at TINGS:

so they are not too far away now

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
Re: Valanced A4
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 03:17:47 PM »
Nice! I'll be buying several once I've secured a new job (the current one ends at the end of next month!). Typical as I've been patiently waiting for over a year for these to come out!  ::)

Offline JayM481

• N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:05:47 AM »
I've also been waiting for these. On the plus side I can now get them VAT-free, on the negative I have to deal with overseas postage and Canada Customs.

I think Hattons last projection was late Sept early Oct for stock.

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:54:35 PM »
we should be getting one or two for reviewing, which liveries im not sure, but shouldnt be long so watch out for the full video of that.
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline Waz

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »
I picked this one up at TINGS this year and I must say its a very nice model and a very good runner, the halulage is very good managing 9 dapol teaks with out any problem. The slow speed performance is very good, and nice and easy to DCC chip, once fitted and chip adjusted it runs very nicely.

Offline MKP

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 11:35:33 AM »
a few more pics of PEREGRINE

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:21:15 PM »
Somehow, the valances really emphasise the wrong shaping of the cylinders on these - they should curve under more rapidly. Less noticable on unvalanced ones, though also there on those.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline eddief83

• N Gauge Society Number: 27517
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 02:41:20 PM »
I picked this one up at TINGS this year and I must say its a very nice model and a very good runner, the halulage is very good managing 9 dapol teaks with out any problem. The slow speed performance is very good, and nice and easy to DCC chip, once fitted and chip adjusted it runs very nicely.

It is a stunning model, but the only thing that bugs me is Empire of India didn't get a double chimney till the late 1950's, by which time she was BR green and had no valances, sadly none of the coronation A4's had double chimneys so the only A4's this model could become is 4468 Mallard and 4900-4903 but all of these had non-corridor tenders in LNER days so the tender would then be wrong.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 04:09:17 PM »
It is a stunning model, but the only thing that bugs me is Empire of India didn't get a double chimney till the late 1950's, by which time she was BR green and had no valances, sadly none of the coronation A4's had double chimneys so the only A4's this model could become is 4468 Mallard and 4900-4903 but all of these had non-corridor tenders in LNER days so the tender would then be wrong.

The bizarre thing is Dapol have the tooling for both the single chimney and the non-corridor tender (a specific flavour of, admittedly), so this would have been reasonably easy to get correct.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline eddief83

• N Gauge Society Number: 27517
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 04:23:15 PM »

The bizarre thing is Dapol have the tooling for both the single chimney and the non-corridor tender (a specific flavour of, admittedly), so this would have been reasonably easy to get correct.

Cheers,
Alan

Fingers crossed they will do some more in the future with the right chimney/tender combination. Doesn't have to be 4490 though (unless people want that one)

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 02:55:43 AM »
Empire of India and Sea Eagle are now available from Hattons.

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 03:44:23 AM »
Could anyone who's got their hands on one comment on the running quality? I can live with some of the modeling compromises, but it needs to run well out of the box. Returns from Canada are a pain.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 04:28:28 AM »
No doubt 95% of them run well, getting your supplier to test the loco before posting it might stop you getting a dud.

Overseas returns are a pain and in my case if anything goes wrong I'm stuck with the broken loco because our postal service is so bad.

I hope you get a good loco.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 08:19:55 AM »
I just had a look at the DCC Supplies web site (official Dapol spares supplier) and single chiminies for the A4 are available for £1.80.

Hope this helps someone.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 02:43:39 PM »
Somehow, the valances really emphasise the wrong shaping of the cylinders on these - they should curve under more rapidly. Less noticable on unvalanced ones, though also there on those.

Cheers,
Alan

Oddly enough, Tony Wright didn't pick up on this in his review- he doesn't usually miss things like this....

He did spot the wrong chimney though.
Les

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here