!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE - REVOLUTION Goes To The Top Of Class B!  (Read 85970 times)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
Re: EXCLUSIVE - REVOLUTION Goes To The Top Of Class B!
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2016, 10:39:33 PM »
Can someone please point me in the direction of of where the era for each wagon is noted.  Thanks

Hi Simon,

I'm not sure about eras.  As far as I know the Esso ones were introduced first, in 1956/7, then the Mobil Charrington a couple of years later.

The plain black ones seem to have been around fairly early too.

The Regent ones with the new suspension were built in 1960, but I think they were rebranded to Texaco from around 1968.

I think United Molasses started operating these wagons in the mid 1960s.

I don't know when the company boards began to be removed from the wagons.

Perhaps others can fill in the gaps?

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2016, 11:17:14 PM »
I'm a bit stuck on choosing... I like the Esso branding, but for some reason I'm drawn to the unbranded ones too.

I guess I need to know when the Esso brand ran till and when in the 70s the Esso branding was removed. (I'm modelling 1975).

Would the Esso and the unbranded have run in the same block?

And if I order 5 triple packs, what are the chances each pack can have different numbers?

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2016, 05:48:07 AM »

The Regent ones with the new suspension were built in 1960, but I think they were rebranded to Texaco from around 1968.

Whoa! That puts my thinking of 3 Texaco triple packs out of the window as it will be too late for my era.
Can anyone confirm the eras for each version? I know Ben has had a good stab at it but it looks like I may have to go down the 'Esso' brand route :hmmm:

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2016, 08:14:34 AM »
Hi there,

This is where a little knowledge becomes a dangerous thing!

Please don't take what I say on these wagons as definitive and some dates may be wrong!

As far as the Regent/Texaco thing goes, Wikipedia says that Texaco took control of Regent in 1956, and while Regent petrol stations were rebranded Texaco from 1965, the Regent brand "remained in use" until 1968/9.

But were the railway wagons among the first or last things to be rebranded?  Of course, if you're layout is set in 1959, before the Regent wagons were built, it's all academic.

Then again, it's your train set, as they say!

Cheers

Ben A.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2016, 08:55:33 AM »
According to sources I have, Regent purchased 150 of these wagons throughout 1960-1961. They were for use from Welsh and Avonmouth storage depots. Apparently, Regent was broken up in 1967 and all the remaining wagons passed to Texaco where they were later renumbered TEX 47761-900 (this is a TOPS dnumber?). I don't have the documents to hand, but I should be able to get further info on monday/tuesday.

@newportnobby , I think you would need to go for the Regent ones for your layout.

Re the ESSO de-embleming ( I know it's not a word), 1974/5 seems to be the magic date for that process, where it coincided with TOPS. But that is just deduction, I have nothing that explicitly quotes that date.

Re the UM wagons, All evidence points to them being taken on by UM at around 1970. Previously they had operated unfitted wagons. They were on hire from Tiger Rail. All indications and suggestions are that the blue ends coincided with TOPS being implemented , but again that's not actually explicitly stated on anything I have seen.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:03:36 AM by ScottyStitch, Reason: Qualification of informatio »

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2016, 09:56:20 AM »
Ben/Mike

Maybe it's too early to answer but will the running numbers of the Esso Triple Pack wagons all be different from that of the single Esso wagon? If so, how do I add the single wagon to my existing triple pack order without incurring another delivery charge?

David

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2016, 10:24:18 AM »
Hi David,

The triple pack wagons will all have different numbers to the single models.  This is the same as we did with the TEA tankers.

Because the numbers on these models are significantly more prominent than they tend to be on modern wagons (larger, and usually white-on-black) we will certainly be looking to offer additional packs of the most popular sets with different numbers.

When you sign up or order models, you will automatically go onto our newsletter list, and will receive updates direct from us which will include any news on additional variant packs.

cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:51:53 AM by Ben A »

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2016, 12:33:01 PM »

Hi David,

The triple pack wagons will all have different numbers to the single models.  This is the same as we did with the TEA tankers.

Because the numbers on these models are significantly more prominent than they tend to be on modern wagons (larger, and usually white-on-black) we will certainly be looking to offer additional packs of the most popular sets with different numbers.

When you sign up or order models, you will automatically go onto our newsletter list, and will received updates direct from us which will include any news on additional variant packs.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben.

I believe that there was a regular flow from Fawley to Leicester Abbey Lane Sidings via Banbury, Woodford and the GC Main Line. There is a wonderful colour photo in "Rabbits & Runners" (published by the HMRS) showing an 8F hauling the empties back to Fawley in April 1965. The train appears to consist of 4 x Class A Tanks, 1 xClass B Tank, 2 x Open Wagons followed by the Brake Van.

There is another photo with Class 27 haulage to be found here...

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/gcrleicester/html/trains.html

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2016, 01:06:17 PM »
@ScottyStitch

Wonderful piece of knowledge or sleuthing. Thanks very much for that.

Offline Mustermark

• Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2016, 02:06:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. I've decided to go for a rake of 17... 10 Esso (3 triples and a single) and 7 unbranded (2 triples and a single), in the hope that these triples get different run numbers.

My third Revolution purschase aleady  :o :D Can't wait to have the TEAs soon  8) :thumbsup:

Offline bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »
nice link - cheers for sharing.

i enjoyed looking at the pictures of the great central - coalville/burton line chord and the scrap yards.  i sometimes walk round this area on a lunch break and along the track bed which is a cycle path now. it looked much more interesting in the old days!   i wonder if the red brick building next to the newish lidl was in railway usage or a wagon repair shop or anything?  looks like it could have been.

anyway sorry for diversion from topic.  class b tank not really my era but good luck with it.

tim

ScottyStitch

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2016, 07:35:32 PM »
@ScottyStitch

After checking my sources, yes Texaco branding from 1967 and then branding removed by 1975.

Best

Scott

Offline Mustermark

• Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2016, 10:16:59 PM »
@ScottyStitch

After checking my sources, yes Texaco branding from 1967 and then branding removed by 1975.

Best

Scott

Beginning or end of 1975?  :( ???

ScottyStitch

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2016, 10:09:20 AM »
@ScottyStitch

Best

Scott

Beginning or end of 1975?  :( ???

:sorrysign: I don't know  :(....If it were my model railway I would take it to mean that by the end of 1975 all were de-emblemined......

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything