!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works  (Read 23547 times)

Offline DavidK71

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Was Peco van modifications now Various van kits and scratchbuilds
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »
Bogies might be a problem, as I used MTK/Fleeline ones, but I'm sure that Dapol spares from their Gresley corridors will fit-I think I have retrofitted some of my kit bashing efforts with them; or else the Society ones (even though they are not quite right).
For anyone who's a member of the 2mm Association, their bogie etches are well worth a look: they do a lot of different sorts, they're accurate, they run really well, and the N gauge profile wheels on their axles are back in stock. The only catches are the effort of building them (but you can avoid soldering - I do) and you then need to attach your own coupling mechanism.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
My own take on the Gresley 51' suburban coach body (apologies for the poor picture):

It unfortunately never progressed beyond this test print and really feel I should redesign it from the ground up...

A 2mm Association Gresley 8' bogie (with their N gauge coach wheels) which will eventually end up under my Dapol/Ultima Full Brake that I did several years ago.

I really should get on with building the other one of these!

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »
My own take on the Gresley 51' suburban coach body (apologies for the poor picture):

It unfortunately never progressed beyond this test print and really feel I should redesign it from the ground up...

A 2mm Association Gresley 8' bogie (with their N gauge coach wheels) which will eventually end up under my Dapol/Ultima Full Brake that I did several years ago.

I really should get on with building the other one of these!

If the price is right, I would probably be interested in a couple of these........I have made Etched Pixels version, but, as you now have to do with your newly acquired Ultima sides, I really don't like soldering the two halves of the sides together lengthways. I have renovated a couple of Westwater+Kirk kits, and apart from being slightly small (2mm not N gauge?) they scrubbed up quite well, again adding some Etched Pixels underframe bits.

Martyn

Offline DavidK71

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »

That looks nice. Is that FUD? Hopefully FXD would be even better if rather pricey.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »
Thanks Martyn and David,

The coach body is printed in a material called Grey Resin by iMaterialize and, other than a spray of primer, is as it was received many years ago. Unfortunately, I think to sell these directly as 3D prints (in any decent material) would be rather pricey as both companies charge by the amount of material used (that's over simplified as there are other factors to consider) so, if they ever appear, they'll have to be cast. As I said I want to do a complete redesign of these but I've got plenty of other things that have to take priority in the queue at the moment...

Given that both FUD and FXD really need some post finishing work to get the best out of them, I'm not sure if FXD is worth the extra. The loco bodies that I ordered yesterday, over on my other thread, are a mixture of the two so I can directly compare. FXD is the same as FUD but printed in 16 micron layers as opposed to c. 30 micron - the actual resolution of the print head is the same for both. My own B9Creator prints are usually printed at between 30 and 50 microns and the coach body was, I think, printed at 100 microns! Layer thickness isn't always everything but that is very much dependent on the machine, 3D printing process and material used.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »
On your other thread, I may be interested in the V1 if I can get a reasonably priced N chassis.

Martyn

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2017, 06:47:45 PM »
On your other thread, I may be interested in the V1 if I can get a reasonably priced N chassis.

It will eventually go up on the Shapeways shop Martyn but I've got to do some test building first!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »
I've finally found a bit of time (and inclination) to sit down and get working on a project I've been wanting to do for ages...

This is the body tub for an LNER 12' wheelbase Fish Van. I've still got the sole bars to detail yet but I need to work out final clearances for some etched 'W' irons and associated bearings, wheels etc...

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2017, 06:46:42 PM »
Another day, another fish van...

This one is a Dia 23 fish van and represents the first 'standard' fish van that the LNER produced. Over 1,300 of these were built between 1923 and 1931 and many survived into Nationalisation but downrated to general goods vehicles.

As with the Dia 134 12' wheelbase van, I've still got to detail the solebars.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
Re: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »
Ok, another ten and a half hours at the computer sees this one designed...

But what is it? I'll give you a hint.

It's not a wagon built by the LNER or its constituents...

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
Having moved the printer down from the shed into the garage, it finally got set up again today.

A warts and all (and poor quality, sorry) picture of the initial print of the Dia 23 fish van. I need to do some tweaking to the support structure and orientation of the print as I think I can do better than this initial test print.

The upper section where the roof will go looks ragged as I just pulled the supports off the model and didn't bother to carefully trim them (it was only a test print after all!).

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2017, 08:08:01 PM »
I just find all this 3D printing malarkey absolutely amazing :goggleeyes:

Is it de rigeur to have solebars on fish wagons or could they be codbars? ;)

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2017, 08:10:57 PM »
I just find all this 3D printing malarkey absolutely amazing :goggleeyes:

Is it de rigeur to have solebars on fish wagons or could they be codbars? ;)

Solebars or codbars didn't matter. So long as they were all the same shunters could but a hake of them together.

Remember you started this :)

Cheers
Dave

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2017, 08:12:43 PM »
I do seem to create haddock wherever I go.
If Steve wants me to delete anything I'm sure he'll let me know

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »
I do seem to create haddock wherever I go.
If Steve wants me to delete anything I'm sure he'll let me know

I eely hope he doesn't mind

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything