!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works  (Read 23514 times)

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2019, 08:37:09 PM »
and a Pug and Sentinel

A pug? Interesting - who made that kit?

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Alan

Bought it from Shapeways: -

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XBVLEEEEZ/n-gauge-l-y-railway-class-21-quot-pug-quot-0-4-0?optionId=57217841&li=marketplace

It uses a TU-Koppel-A chassis which you can get from Plaza Japan. I plan to chip mine when I get round to actually getting on with it and will add a "runner" wagon for pickup.

Regards

Roy

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2019, 12:25:47 AM »
I just had to have one of these when they first came out on shapeways, here it is

fettling the body for painting was good practice for when I came to build the Trojans

Regards,

Alex

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2019, 10:50:24 AM »
Hi Atso,

Love the kits. I have a couple of questions for you if you can spare the time?

1) Is you layout N Gauge or 2mmFS?
2) If its N Gauge what wheels do you use with the 2mmFS chassis kits?

I seriously thinking about joining the 2mmFS brigade to get access to a wider spectrum of kits for my chosen era so any help / advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Twinklekev.

Hi Twinklekev,

My stock is built to N gauge standards (the layout is being built!). The 2mm Association offers coach and disc wagon wheels turned to N gauge standards to fit their kits. In addition, they also offer a conversion axle which will take Farish spoke and disc wagon wheels. I've seen it stated on here that the etched kits can be assembled using super glue. I personally wouldn't recommend this for a moving item as details will be knocked off should they catch anything and I always solder the etched chassis kits together. Gluing etches together is generally OK for static items that are not going to be handled on a regular basis though.

What era are you modelling?

Offline twinklekev

• N Gauge Society Number: 9777
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2019, 04:18:26 PM »
Hi Atso,

I model 1930's GWR, yes I know, stop groaning.

Regards,

Twinklekev.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #244 on: February 05, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »
I model 1930's GWR, yes I know, stop groaning.

Despite the banter that goes on on this thread, there is nothing wrong with the GWR, LMS or Southern in my view. I would suggest that you tackle some of the 2mm Association's chassis kits before tackling anything more complicated. If the GWR Toad kits (I assume that these are of interest to you) are anything like the LNER Toad E etches, you'll be better off with some experience under you belt first. There wasn't anything wrong with the Toad E etches, just a lot of small parts which require some experience to soldered together.

Offline twinklekev

• N Gauge Society Number: 9777
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: February 05, 2019, 04:42:30 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of the LMS cattle wagons. Plastic body, etched chassis; that I could just about handle without burning my fingers  :D I think these would look better than the generic Peco / Farish offerings as they are more prototypical and, given the era, the size difference shouldn't matter that much either.

Twinklekev.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #246 on: February 05, 2019, 04:45:42 PM »
Ok, following a period of feeling very low and lack of any mojo to do any modelling, I broke out the soldering iron today and made a start on this.

It is an ex-GCR bogie fish van designed by a Rod Neep and from the tarnish (and hand drawn artwork), I'm guessing it is quite old. I'm pretty certain that the etches for this were shot down from a larger scale as things don't quite fit as intended and I've had to do a bit of modification to get everything to fit. While I think I've broken the back on this one, it'll be a little while before any more progress is made as I need to purchase a wagon bogie stretcher etch to make a viable bogie. As designed, the etched bogies are too narrow to fit 2mm Association axles so I'll be cutting off the side frames and fitting them to the Association's stretcher - luckily both have a 5'6 wheelbase. It is a nice distinct vehicle which will be at home at the head of my, slowly expanding fish train.

As part of a late Christmas present (as the Ultima LNER TPO kit is currently unavailable), these dropped through the letterbox this morning.

Four Worsley Works 51' coach scratch aids. These are not complete kits but between the 2mm Association, Ultima and the 3D printer, I'm sure I can source or make the missing bits. These will be my first attempts at building etched coaches and hopefully good experience in advance of tackling the Worsley Silver Jubilee coaches at some point in the future!

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of the LMS cattle wagons. Plastic body, etched chassis; that I could just about handle without burning my fingers  :D I think these would look better than the generic Peco / Farish offerings as they are more prototypical and, given the era, the size difference shouldn't matter that much either.

Twinklekev.

The difference in scale is usually unnoticeable - just don't put a 2mm scale model next to the N gauge version of the same prototype!

I've been (very slowly) building some of the GER cattle vans which, like the LMS ones, are a plastic body on an etched chassis. I've not found any problems with these but you'll need to source your own roof. I've found BH Enterprises does a nice etched coach roof which half etched lines in the back to help forming the curve. You'll need to cut them to length (and possibly width) but they're a very useful product!

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2019, 06:26:12 PM »
Steve;

good to see you in action again, with as usual, excellent results so far.

Rod Neep was active around 30 years ago-he was one of the first designers of etched compensated chassis for 4mm, IIRC. He may have done chassis for, amongst others, the N2 and 14xx, again, IIRC. Was his firm Perseverance? I'd have to look it up. A lot of his work and products featured in the earliest Model Railway Journals, along with the likes of Ian Rice.

BRG

martyn

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: February 05, 2019, 08:09:04 PM »
Hi Steve,
Spooky that your about to build those 51' Gresleys from Worsley Works. I built them well over 10 years ago and last month decided they could do with rebuilding and losing their crimson and cream in favour of teak. Initially it was just to be a repaint but, boy, was my soldering bad when I built them! Building an etched kit is a lot easier than dismantling one.
They run on NGS bogies and I was lucky enough to pick up a pile of 61' Ultima roofs many years ago which just needed shortening.
Painting is just about finished so just glazing and grab handles to go.
Glad to see you back :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2019, 09:35:35 PM »
What I always like about Steve's posts is he doesn't do 'run of the mill' stuff and I see some fascinating rolling stock. Nice one, Steve.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2019, 09:27:59 AM »
It's really great to see you back in action Steve; both modelling and posting.

I know you enjoy the Southern Area, so here's a picture for you:

[Sometime in the mid-'thirties, Ivatt 'Q2' 0-8-0 No. 3454 chuffs gently past Poppingham station with an Up goods train.]

What I always like about Steve's posts is he doesn't do 'run of the mill' stuff and I see some fascinating rolling stock. Nice one, Steve.

Seconded!

With all good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2019, 09:59:35 AM »
good to see you in action again, with as usual, excellent results so far.

Rod Neep was active around 30 years ago-he was one of the first designers of etched compensated chassis for 4mm, IIRC. He may have done chassis for, amongst others, the N2 and 14xx, again, IIRC. Was his firm Perseverance? I'd have to look it up. A lot of his work and products featured in the earliest Model Railway Journals, along with the likes of Ian Rice.

Thanks Martyn.

That makes a lot of sense and kinda works with my hazy childhood memories of Puffers model shop in Kenton. I tried to build a Perseverance J50 chassis as a child (can't have been much older than ten) and made a right mess of it! If only I knew then what I know now!

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2019, 10:03:39 AM »
Spooky that your about to build those 51' Gresleys from Worsley Works. I built them well over 10 years ago and last month decided they could do with rebuilding and losing their crimson and cream in favour of teak. Initially it was just to be a repaint but, boy, was my soldering bad when I built them! Building an etched kit is a lot easier than dismantling one.
They run on NGS bogies and I was lucky enough to pick up a pile of 61' Ultima roofs many years ago which just needed shortening.
Painting is just about finished so just glazing and grab handles to go.
Glad to see you back :)

Thanks Gareth. Interesting to read that you're in the process of rebuilding you 51 footers and you've answer a question I had about when to fit the grab rails and door handles - I assume that you'll be gluing these in place.

Mine will run on 2mm Association etched bogies as I think that they make up into nice models and are much narrower than most plastic versions. They also conveniently come with the foot boards which makes life easier.

Are you rebuilding yours as a single unit or can they be broken down into sub-assemblies? If so, how have you arranged this?

Many thanks

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »

Thanks Mick.

On of the appeals of modelling the 1930's period to me is the massive variety of stock that could be seen. A lot of the pre-grouping stock was still in service (especially on the impoverish LNER!) and ancient coaches could find themselves marshaled next to much more modern stock. I hope it will make rakes of wagons and coaches more interesting to watch.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything