!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works  (Read 17519 times)

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2018, 07:55:41 PM »
Great work yet again Steve, that looks superb!

Roy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2018, 08:45:20 PM »
Smashing, Steve :thumbsup:

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: June 05, 2018, 09:21:46 PM »
Not much to report but I thought I'd just leave this here for the moment...  ;)

You big show off :)   It looks brilliant, can I have one

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: June 05, 2018, 10:55:04 PM »
Thanks guys, after the last few weeks, your kind words and encouragement means a lot to me. I can't wait to finish designing the roof fittings and tidy that whole area up!

You big show off :)   It looks brilliant, can I have one

If I'm a big show off then I have you to thank as my teacher of how to be more of an extrovert!

I do plan to get this one out in some form, you'll know when I manage it! :)

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: June 06, 2018, 02:53:26 PM »
Not much to report but I thought I'd just leave this here for the moment...  ;)

That's an absolutely wonderful level of detailing. I really do love a good carriage...

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2018, 07:37:59 AM »
Hi all,

Not much has happened over the last month as I've been hit by one thing after another and as a consequence the mojo hit a new low. However I've slowly been getting better and my better half decided that we needed a holiday in Pickering again - we were going to go abroad this year but a planned job didn't work out so we couldn't afford it.

Anyway we're in 'sunny' North Yorkshire at the moment and we spend Sunday at the Pickering show where we met up with MikeJ and the Scarborough team as well as Tony Wright. I've not come up here empty handed either as I'd purchased a 2mm Association etched kit as a holiday project. This is possibly the most complex etched kit I've tackled so far as there are a lot of very small parts and the foot boards are a little fiddly.

This is what the etched fret looks like (borrowed from the 2mm site as I forgot to take a picture of mine before I started!).

Below is the result of four hours work since Sunday night...

There are still a lot of small details to add but overall it is a very enjoyable kit which cost 7.25 for the basic etches plus whatever the cost for the bearings, wheels and buffers was.

I doubt I'll get much done today as we're off to ride the trains today! I'm hoping that we'll end up with either the B1 or Black Five as they've apparently been re painted into LNER and LMS liveries!  :claphappy:

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
Aye, the B1 is 1264 (shortly to be renumbered as 1040 Roedeer) and the Black 5 is 5428 Eric Treacy.

Hope you get one of these, but the Pocket Rocket 76079 is a good loco and well liked by crews.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2018, 04:49:54 PM »
Hi all,

Not much has happened over the last month as I've been hit by one thing after another and as a consequence the mojo hit a new low. However I've slowly been getting better and my better half decided that we needed a holiday in Pickering again - we were going to go abroad this year but a planned job didn't work out so we couldn't afford it.

Anyway we're in 'sunny' North Yorkshire at the moment and we spend Sunday at the Pickering show where we met up with MikeJ and the Scarborough team as well as Tony Wright. I've not come up here empty handed either as I'd purchased a 2mm Association etched kit as a holiday project. This is possibly the most complex etched kit I've tackled so far as there are a lot of very small parts and the foot boards are a little fiddly.

This is what the etched fret looks like (borrowed from the 2mm site as I forgot to take a picture of mine before I started!).

Below is the result of four hours work since Sunday night...

There are still a lot of small details to add but overall it is a very enjoyable kit which cost 7.25 for the basic etches plus whatever the cost for the bearings, wheels and buffers was.

I doubt I'll get much done today as we're off to ride the trains today! I'm hoping that we'll end up with either the B1 or Black Five as they've apparently been re painted into LNER and LMS liveries!  :claphappy:

Great work as always Steve, hope you enjoyed the train ride today!

Roy

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
Thanks Roy(s).

We did enjoy the ride today and just made it in time to get on the 11am train which was made up of the teaks and hauled by the B1. As we were late and the train was rather full, we got directed to sit in first class for no extra cost! First class c. 1939 looks like this!

Our motive power.

And possibly the best view on the train...

We didn't ride all the way to Whitby thought, that's a day trip by car tomorrow!

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2018, 09:39:09 PM »
Well I missed you by a day!

I saw the B1 leave Grosmont this morning rather noisily and if you'd been on the return working you'd have seen me perched on top of the Q6 boiler wrestling with the dome and the snifting valve.

Don't think I've been in the 1st Class teak - nice pictures.

REgards,

Roy

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:37 PM »
That's a shame that we missed you Roy, any idea why the B1 was noisy? We're likely to be back at Grosmont on Friday as we both liked the cafe in the old school building.

A bit more progress was achieved on the Toad E today.

The whole lot needs a thorough clean! I'm not happy with the etched handrails that span the middle section. While the fold up etch is an ingenious design, they are really fragile. I think I'll be cutting out that section and replacing them with some guitar wire and handrail knobs to give them some strength. Other than that, I've old got the lamp irons, buffers and roof to go - some much for it keeping me busy for a week!

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2018, 11:37:53 PM »
Steve,

The B1 was slipping over the crossing and almost to the tunnel and seemed to have the drain cocks open for a long while.

I'm just there Wednesdays for Q6 working parties - great in the season, because there's so much steam to see and hear and smell.

Regards,

Roy

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2018, 08:14:37 AM »
Shame that we won't be able to meet. I'll give you no argument over the sights, sounds and smells of steam! I'm in Middleton at the moment so I've enjoyed an evening drive over to Pickering most days to see the 5:30 and 6:15 arrivals while SHMBO is having a bath - pure bliss!

Back to the Toad E and I think I've gone as far as I can here. The lamp brackets will have to remain off the model as I didn't read the instructions properly! The brackets 'holding' the body to the chassis are also missing as I lost two of them! The roof is simply balanced on top of the body and is discoloured as I took advantage of the gas cooker here and annealed it before rolling it to shape using a bit of round rod and some kitchen paper folded into a pad.

The picture shows the one of the handrails around the ducket wasn't soldered on very well and has been lost. I'll replace this with some wire (along with the long horizontal ones) when I get home. This is the most complicated kit I've attempted and, other than a few fiddly bits, was good fun and well worth the money!

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2018, 10:11:48 AM »
It is our last full day in North Yorkshire and, having taken the Toad E as far as I can here, I decided to build some plastic wagons...

These are the 2mm Association's LNER six plank wagon bodies kits. Compared to the Toad E these are a breeze to put together and the six bodies pictured represent about an hours worth of effort. The LNER built these in bulk right from the start of their existence and, while the bodies were all pretty much the same, the chassis could have been of either 9' or 10' wheelbase, wooden or steel sole bars and vacuum braked or unfitted - quite a few variations are possible.

For my first batch, I used the Peco 9' chassis, slightly shortened, but for these I'll but using the 2mm etched chassis kits and represent as many variants as possible. I need to get some more chassis though as I'm down to my last two now. :(

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: August 26, 2018, 06:54:14 PM »
Back home today with some time to myself. Therefore, I decided to paint up some Peco 9' wheelbase PO wagons that I built last year.

Having consulted with my copy of 'LNER Wagons' I confirmed that the LNER did build some wagons to the same basic outline as the PO types. Therefore, these ones have a relatively easy grey and black colour scheme. I wanted to get the bulk of the airbrushing done today so I simply used Halfords grey primer for the grey and Tamiya acrylics for the black underframes and buff for the interior. All in this took two hours.

I'll touch in the various bits of ironwork that need to be painted black tomorrow using a brush but not to bad for a couple of hours rush job. Ultimately these are going to be weathered so the rather pale look (actually a bit of a trick of the light anyway) will be much darker once I'm done.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £287.00
Above Goal: £232.00
Site Currency: GBP
522% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything