!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works  (Read 22661 times)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »
That's a welcome vehicle to have back available in N. My experience with six wheelers btw is that N is so slack rigid chassis work fine.

I have 13mm axles, and I can make them available in bulk if you find you need them or want to ship them with kits. I've only got 3'6" wheels at this point because the pricing meant I needed to pick a type and I mostly do coaches.

Alan, has there been a kit for the GNR full brake before then? I did look about but couldn't find one.

I thought Bill Bedford did the etches for one - or maybe I've got the wrong vehicle in mind ?

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2018, 07:39:50 PM »
As far as I know, Bill has stopped doing N gauge stuff

Regards,

Alex

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »
How mean are you

Not very...  :smiley-laughing:

Off topic but I found your RM article on Foster Street yesterday while trying to find some drawings in my magazine collection. It was a fun diversion to reread it again!  :)

I deny all responsibility for it

Online Atso

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2018, 08:28:33 AM »

Then I shall give you no credit for a great article!  :P :P

So if you deny responsibility, who wrote it?  :hmmm:

Online Atso

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2018, 08:31:53 AM »
I thought Bill Bedford did the etches for one - or maybe I've got the wrong vehicle in mind ?

My understanding is the same as Hailstone's and Bill has stopped doing his scratch aid etches. This is a real shame as I was going to get some if these this year - the GNR milk brake was high on the list!

Online Atso

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2018, 01:45:04 PM »
Bill Bedford etches. Yes I get the impression he has stopped doing N gauge.

A pity. As I have said before I feel with rtr prices increasing as they are more will be tempted/pushed to try their hand and actually building things.  This is an area in which the NGS could capitalise with their range of wagon kits.

Just a few days back I looked at the current cost of a Farish Toad brake van...I had to look twice to ensure I didn't need a trip to Specsavers!

Indeed that is my impression as well. Most of his current offerings are in 4-7mm, either as 3D prints or resin casts from (I think) 3D printed masters.

RTR prices are increasing at an alarming rate. That said, look at the cost of a continental locomotive and you'll see that generally British N is still cheaper by quite a way! I'd agree that it would be nice for the NGS to focus more on kit production but there is obviously a benefit to their decision to commission more RTR items (shame none so far released/planned fit into my own modelling interests or can be adapted to fit).

Your experience with the Farish Toad is my main reason for buying older models cheaply and upgrading them with 2mm Association etched chassis. While time consuming, I can usually come up with a good model at around two thirds of the cost of buying a new RTR - although that doesn't stop me from buying the occasional wagon or two!  ;)

However, will this lead to a situation where prices have to go up again to offset losses in sales and therefore make the market unviable? I don't think we're anywhere near that point yet (if we ever get there) but some food for thought.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2018, 06:41:02 PM »

Then I shall give you no credit for a great article!  :P :P

So if you deny responsibility, who wrote it?  :hmmm:

It was not me I cant write  :'( :'(

Online Atso

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2018, 08:10:20 PM »
I've spent a few days catching up a little with my massive backlog of kit built wagons.

From left to right are:

Two bogie brick wagons from my own CAD and printed by Shapeways - assembling the 'Return to Fletton' out of separate letters was 'fun' and thank goodness I found a picture of a second wagon without this!

GCR fish van from a BH Enterprises etched kit

LNER 'standard' fruit van - again BE Enterprises etched kit

1930's LNER ventilated van - a very old Farish body married to a 2mm Association etched chassis and N gauge wheels (using adaptor axles)

LNER plate wagon - Peco body with 2mm Association (formally Masterclass Models) etched chassis and N gauge wheels.

The plate wagon is slightly out of period as I've numbered it from a photograph without reading the caption (built 1943)! Still, the design commenced in the 1930's so I can live with this error.

Offline Jollybob

• N Gauge Society Number: 22210
  • WD fan in the heart of the GWR
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2018, 05:59:03 AM »
Looking really good. What kind of vents are those on your LNER standard fruit van?

Rob.

Online Atso

• Awards
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
Looking really good. What kind of vents are those on your LNER standard fruit van?

Rob.

Hi Rob,

They're torpedo vents that I printed off.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2018, 03:36:00 PM »
You do such great work, but I just can not get my head around the bogie brick wagons, not just yours but the similar bogie wagons produced back in the day by Farish.  Growing up (if I have) on the SR and then the WR I never saw anything like them in real life so I have a mental block on them.

Look so foreign to me.   :confused1: :confused1:

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Online Atso

• Awards
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2018, 09:45:55 AM »
You do such great work, but I just can not get my head around the bogie brick wagons, not just yours but the similar bogie wagons produced back in the day by Farish.  Growing up (if I have) on the SR and then the WR I never saw anything like them in real life so I have a mental block on them.

Look so foreign to me.   :confused1: :confused1:

Jerry

Thanks Jerry (I think...). The bogie wagons do look a little strange don't they. I've gotten used to seeing the bogie bricks in isolation now but couple to the front of a coal train (prototypically due to the additional braking power these provided) they look very odd due to their size compared to the PO wagons! The old Farish wagon is a quite reasonable representation of an LNER Sulphate wagon which looks even better once lowered to a more prototypical height - I've got four of those now.

Online Atso

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »
I woke up to a surprise today as UPS had delivered my Shapeways prints!  :claphappy: This was a most welcome find as Shapeways predicted that they wouldn't be ready for shipping until Wednesday!

So what have I got?

From left to right: MR 15' long outside frame van (this is truly tiny!), the early LNER Dia 23 fish van and the later LNER dia 134 fish van. As you can see, I've test fitted the wheels (Farish) and everything is free running.

The GNR six wheel full brake. This one isn't quite as successful as the clearances aren't quite their to take the wheelsets. I think that I might be able to play with the clearances to find a better compromise to accept Farish coach wheels. At present, this coach wouldn't even take a 13mm axle as there really isn't enough clearance around the wheels. I thought this might well be the case but thought I'd try my luck anyway - three successes out of four really isn't bad. On the plus side, I'm really impressed with how well the panelling has come out.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2018, 09:57:41 AM »
The GNR six wheel brake is looking rather lush. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online Atso

• Awards
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »
The GNR six wheel brake is looking rather lush. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you, I'm quite pleased with it. Of course, I'll be even more pleased when I can fit some wheels to it!!!!  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here