!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: window placement in Scalescenes  (Read 151 times)

Offline tmark

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
window placement in Scalescenes
« on: April 06, 2020, 02:26:34 AM »
I don't know where to put this question so I'll start here. When I build a SS building and use premade window frames they never seem to fit in the window correctly. Meaning, most if not all of the frame sides and top are hidden. The window panes show well but the top and side frame do not show. How should I approach this problem? You know from your building experience the window sizes are pre determined yet they don't allow for the whole frame to be noticed. At least with the way my buildings turn out. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
Re: window placement in Scalescenes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 07:29:31 AM »
I dont know the Scalescenes range Mark but if they are Victorian/ Edwardian style buildings not much of the casement of the sash window would be visible.

Probably 1920/30s we changed the way window openings in brickwork were built. Until "about"this point face brickwork would of been a good 6inches narrower then the internal brickwork.  Internal windowcills weren't as common as now, the simple fact being the window casement sat on the internal leaf of brickwork not the external like we do now.

A typical sash casement would of been built out of nearly 4inch timber and then the sashes slid inside them, once this was fitted upto the back of the external facework IF you had more then 2inches of frame showing you probably had a bad carpenter  :D

So 2inches in N gauge will equate to 0.3mm, so your probably not doing much wrong.

IF you had a timber cill that would probably be about 3inch and all visible, alot of Victorian buildings had carved stone cills that the casement sat on so the bottom line of the visible frame should probably be double the size of what is visible on the sides and head.

As ever theres probably more technical way to tell you this and my dates are probably a bit wrong but a few pointers hopefully  :hmmm:

Offline tmark

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: window placement in Scalescenes
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 02:27:55 PM »
Incredible pointers for my benefit. Actually the type of info I look for in my many searches of this site. I hope for more descriptions such as this to aid in my quest for UK architecture. Thanks, Mark

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal