!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 233165 times)

Pobda, Gooner1953 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3750 on: December 01, 2019, 06:37:09 AM »
Hi Leon

The plan was always to run everything via computer, but I think I would like to get the model done first.  The big problem I will have with computer control is the uncoupling and coupling in the branch run-arounds, because I have yet to find a system that is sufficiently reliable for automatic, hands-free running that will work every time.  However, part of the fun of a model railway is running the trains yourself.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #3751 on: December 01, 2019, 06:27:31 PM »
I am sure if anyone can you will find a answer to auto un-coupling, but like you said running trains by hand is fun anyway. I have never even thought about a timetable for my layouts, but  for auto running you really do need reliabilty.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3752 on: December 01, 2019, 07:38:47 PM »
Today was the first Sunday in the month and so we went for a walk round the monthly farmersí market.  We didnít buy anything today because I bought a truckle of cheese last time, ready for the run up to Christmas.  Before coffee, I brought it in from the garage and cut it in half, then cut a piece ready for consumption, so to speak.  Also, because today is the first of the month, my job list just got longer because I had to add the monthly jobs on to it.  In addition, I have a quarterly job to descale the kettle (if necessary) and change the filter on the water filter.

After coffee, I brought in some more wood for the fire and then ventured out into the garden for potatoes, carrots and parsnips.  We still have half of the cabbage that I cut last time, so no more was needed.  Then I cleared up all the leaves that the vine had shed, because they were a slip hazard on the path round to the back door. 

I have been playing with AnyRail since yesterday and, although I found it a bit of a struggle to start with, I am now getting on with it nicely.  I previously had a go with Scarm but, now I am getting to grips with AnyRail, I have decided that I will stick with it, so I bought a licence.  I donít really need it yet but, after seeing the efforts of others, I thought it would be a good idea to start preparing for my future strip down and rebuild.  It may be two or three years down the road, but I might as well get ready for it. 

The idea will be to strip the current layer down to the baseboard and then build the new layout on separable boards that could be transported to an exhibition.  While it is in the Train Shed, the new layout would simply sit on top of the existing baseboards. 
Of course, I would need to build some sort of trestle system in order to take it out of the Train Shed.  However, I might be able to start making the new layout, board by board, before dismantling the existing layout.

Later in the afternoon, I did actually manage to get down to the Train Shed.  I didnít stay too long because the temperature was down below 7C.  However, before I left, I set the timer on the convector to come on two or three times during the day while the cold weather persists.  While I was there, I managed to finish the walls down the ramp to the goods yard.

Then I cleared the goods yard, ready for finishing the surface. 

Iím not sure how to proceed at the moment.  I could cover the baseboard with a very thin layer of ballast, or I might simply paint it black.  Alternatively, I might paint it black and then use some ballast scatter in places.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #3753 on: December 01, 2019, 07:48:16 PM »
Yes I had the same problem with my goods yard on my old layout. I tried a technique a guy off RM web used with good effect partly using weathering powders, the only trouble I found was every time I placed my hand's anywhere near it they became black so I am not going down that route. I have a bag of black sand used for aquarium fish tanks, I might experiment using that and see how it looks, it might be too coarse.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3754 on: December 01, 2019, 07:50:06 PM »
Is that the goods yard by the little signal box Laurence?
If so, itíll probably need road access from the ramp behind it.
If there are to be no buildings in the goods yard, Iíd use a combination of soil and earth scatters plus some fine ballast but paint the baseboard first, els e the wood will show through. The scatter will stick happily to wet paint.
How about a small platform to aid unloading the wagons?
And a couple of railwaymenís huts?
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3755 on: December 01, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, fellahs.  I think I'll paint it black to start with and then see how I get on.  I think the road access from the goods depot ramp might be just over rough ground but, again, I'll try experimenting.  It's more than 30 years since I last made a model railway, so I'm just getting into the swing of things again.  I have ordered some barrow crossings, they they might come into play for light vehicles.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline rob_au

• Awards
« Reply #3756 on: December 02, 2019, 12:08:28 AM »
I have been playing with AnyRail since yesterday and, although I found it a bit of a struggle to start with, I am now getting on with it nicely.  I previously had a go with Scarm but, now I am getting to grips with AnyRail, I have decided that I will stick with it, so I bought a licence. 

I had the same experience. There are a couple of keyboard actions from SCARM that I would ideally be replicated in AnyRail, but as I worked through the idiosyncrasies of the package, I came to really like AnyRail, in particular, I found it perform much better when scrolling a zoomed-in view of a layout.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3757 on: December 02, 2019, 07:09:42 PM »
Today, being the first Monday of the month, it was the dreaded U3A committee meeting (yawn yawn...).  So I didnít venture down to the Train Shed first thing, but started to get to grips with one of the Scalescenes kits, the low relief houses and/or shops.  There are five pages of kit parts and seven pages of instructions, so it is going to take me a while to familiarise myself with the whole kit.

I decided that I should read through the instructions (possibly several times) to make sure I know what I am doing.  When itís finished, it should look like this.

In the afternoon, I had to go out and carry out my occasional information paper round which I had put off from last week on account of the weather.  After a cup of tea, I went down to the Train Shed for a quick visit, mainly to see if the temperature had held up a little better after I had set the heater to come on during the day.  This time it hadnít fallen below 11C, which is a bit better.  While I was there, I removed all the goods yard perimeter walls ready for painting the baseboard.

I think I may go to town, so to speak, and paint all the exposed baseboard in the station area.  I can then decide how to finish off the various parts at a later date.  I then soldiered on with the Scalescenes kit, which I can do in the warmth of my little office until such time as I need to start cutting up the sheets.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #3758 on: December 02, 2019, 07:30:35 PM »
Good luck with the Scalescenes the low relief houses and shops kits!

Will be watching with interest  :confused1:

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #3759 on: December 02, 2019, 10:16:48 PM »
have made a number of the scalescenes kits and the only advice I can add is to take your time, and keep a very sharp blade. The instructions on the kits I have made are very comprehensive.

cheers
Graham

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3760 on: December 03, 2019, 09:27:03 AM »
Thanks Graham

I will certainly take my time over the kits.  I have a box of brand new Ever Ready type razor blades which I have used for the Scalescenes stone paper that I have used for the walls around the goods yard, so I should be OK for sharp blades.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3761 on: December 03, 2019, 06:56:23 PM »
Today was a gym day, so I was able to have an early session in the Train Shed.  But even before that, I took a picture of our latest Amaryllis. 

I know itís completely off topic, but itís absolutely stunning.  It cost £3.99 from Lidl.  Normally our amaryllis are planted during April and flower in May through to July, although each plant is only in flower for about a week.  Once flowering has finished, Celia continues to water them until September and then puts them in the potting shed to dry out.  So now is the time when they are removed from their pots and put to bed for the winter.  Now we have this one and another, bought from Yorkshire Trading, which will flower in a week or so.  They are completely out of synch with the rest, so Iím not sure what we will do with them after they have flowered.

Anyway, enough of off-topic and back to the Train Shed.  I ran a full operating session this morning, although I have decided to run a slightly modified timetable while I am working on the other side of the station.  That will leave clear access to the other side of the station while I am working there.  So the milk train and local goods will remain in their home loops and the branch goods will move directly out of Platform 4 without waiting for the next phase of the timetable.  Hereís Cranmore Hall at Platform 3 with the 6.31 am early train to Paddington, with 5572 standing at Platform 4, ready to depart along the Norton branch.

Later in the afternoon, I started work on the goods yard and goods depot.  I brush painted the baseboard with pretty well neat black acrylic paint, which has given it a churned up look, as though road vehicles have been trundling around the whole area.  Hereís the goods yard end.

And hereís the other end by the goods depot.  I need to do something about the gap between the baseboards.

Once the paint has dried, I will be able to fix the walls permanently in position.  I have some Peco buffer stop kits which I can use in the goods yard, so I need to have a ferret around for them.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #3762 on: December 03, 2019, 07:54:08 PM »
I previously had a go with Scarm but, now I am getting to grips with AnyRail, I have decided that I will stick with it, so I bought a licence.

Laurence, in my opinion, you were wise to persevere with AnyRail. My use of the program was very elementary, but I love it. You'll use it to much greater advantage than me. I too started with SCARM but quickly decided it wasn't sufficiently user-friendly and I didn't have time to learn a complicated system.

I'll be closely following your construction of the Scalescenes kits. I'll soon be attempting the island platform building kit (https://scalescenes.com/product/r004a-island-platform-building/).

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3763 on: December 04, 2019, 07:11:38 PM »
It was another gym day today, so there was time for an early morning session in the Train Shed.  I used the time to glue in place all the walls around the goods yard and goods depot..

The bottom of some of the walls doesnít quite reach the ground, particularly the wall along the side of the ramp down to the goods depot.  So I may need some judicious use of weeds along the bottom to hide the gap.  But I am quite pleased with the appearance of the walls now the baseboard had been painted in the goods areas.

We are using J Sainsbury a little less these days and todayís grocery shopping was done a Lidl and Waitrose, which happen to be (almost) next to each other.  Some things we canít get in Lidl and a lot of their fresh fruit wonít last a week, so we make up the difference with Waitrose.  We were quite late home after that, but we had something to eat and then I took advantage of the weather and began pressure washing the crazy paving, where it has become very slippery with all the rain encouraging moss to grow on the surface.  I spent about two hours on that, so it was getting quite dark by the time I had finished.  It was fairly hard work using the T-racer tool and, after a cup of tea, I decided that I wouldnít make another trip to the Train shed today.  But Iíve been    quite busy, experimenting with AnyRail and also familiarising myself with the first Scale Scenes model.

I discovered yesterday that Scale Scenes make window glazing, rather like the Metcalf glazing, so I have ordered some but, apparently, it comes from Australia so it may take a few days to arrive.  Good news is that Royal Mail have let me know that they will be delivering the laser-cut fencing I ordered the other day.  I am also waiting for some 1mm card to start on the cottages, although I already have some 200 gsm card for the internal walls, so I could make a start on that ASAP.  I just need to glue the sheet onto the card and then start cutting out.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #3764 on: December 04, 2019, 09:44:49 PM »
a tip made by @Ben A to me when I started was to use the A4 address labels to print out the kits, this helps when putting the prints onto the card.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here