!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 193976 times)

sp1 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3435 on: July 10, 2019, 08:07:54 PM »
First thing today, I had a brainwave, not that it did much good.  I tried programming all the speed step CVs (CV67 Ė 94) and I managed to gain control of the speed.  But this isnít much use because I need to be able to modify the speed as a result of timing tests and this would take an impossibly long time.  I also discovered that it was impossible to change the decoder address.  I downloaded the Dapol Imperium Decoder Manual and CV list and went through them with a fine toothcomb, but neither shed any light on the problem.  I checked against the NMRA CV specifications, but there was still no luck.  So I have asked Hattons if I can send the railcar back for a refund.

After that, we went off to the gym.  In the afternoon, we had U3A table tennis, so it wasnít until much later that I returned to the Train Shed.  This time, I calibrated 46443 successfully.  Here it is at Platform 2 on its stop/start DOWN run.

And here it is at Platform 3 on it UP run.

I then returned to The Union Mills G2, after my success with the Union Mills J26.  Itís now running really well, apart from the fact that it needs to run on in the storage loops for a while before I set its speed to zero.  That completes the calibration on all the locos stored in the UP loops.  Tomorrow, I will start on the locos stored in the DOWN loops.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3436 on: July 11, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »
It was Friday here today.  No, Iím not going mad.  We wanted to spend our day out with a visit to the caravan, but Celia had an appointment with our sports injury guru at noon for an abductor problem and then a health centre patient committee later in the afternoon.  So we swapped with Friday, which is domestic chores day and we will have Thursday tomorrow.  I managed a couple of Train Shed sessions today.

First, I finally put to bed the railcar.  My last fling was that the decoder lock was preventing some of the CVs from being programmed, but the lock was working fine and the CVs just would not work.  CV 29, however, did work.  I must have changed it to be able to program all the speed steps individually.  When I changed it back again, we were back to a 200mph railcar.  So Hattons have sent me a return label and it will go back for a refund.

After playing about with the Class 121, I set about calibrating the trains stored in the DOWN loops.  I began with 46122, Royal Ulster Rifleman.  It didnít take too long to get it into shape.  Hereís a little clip of it in full flow at the head of the DOWN South Midlander.

Since I applied graphite to the tracks, I have noticed that the tender driven locos, such as 46122, tend to slow down on the curves.  Itís not when the train is wrapped around a curve, which might give extra drag, but when the loco is on the curve.  The tender traction tyres must slip a little on the graphite when negotiating curves.  It doesnít happen with any of the locos powered through the drivers.

Later, I had another session and calibrated 92006.  Here it is on the same stretch of track as the clip of 46122.

After I finished 92006, I had (just) time to calibrate 61664, ĎLiverpoolí.  This was somewhat more complex than some of the other calibrations.  The top speed was no problem, but I had quite a fiddle to get the deceleration correct so that it would stop at the correct place in the platforms and in the storage loops.  But in the end, I managed to get there and, tomorrow, I hope to be able to move on to Cranmore Hall.

With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3437 on: July 11, 2019, 06:03:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing the information re the graphite and the results of your findings

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #3438 on: July 11, 2019, 11:48:09 PM »
thanks for all the updates, haven't commented for a while but watching every episode. Good to hear about the positive effects of the graphite.

cheers
Graham

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3439 on: July 12, 2019, 08:13:45 PM »
Well, we had Friday yesterday so it was Thursday today and we duly set off for Knaresborough.  Before we went I had another session in the Train Shed.  This time I was able to calibrate Cranmore Hall.  I had quite as fiddle to get the acceleration and deceleration right so that it stopped at the correct places in the platforms and the storage loops, but in the end I managed it (just in time) before we had to leave.

Later on in the afternoon, after we returned, I took time out to watch the Nadal versus Federer.  Iím not sure that it is really allowed, but itís always good to watch top class tennis.  As Andrew Castle said the other day about a doubles match, this is doubles like most club players donít play it.  I did like to play in my day, but I could only dream of that sort of standard.

Back Story (continued)
Friday July 12th 1959

I am told that Baron Tiverton has given up the idea of introducing diesel rail cars on the branch line.  When the Class 121 returned from Swindon, it soon developed exactly the same fault as it did on the previous occasion.  He is of the opinion that there is too much technology to go wrong.  What he really wants is the simplicity of steam to give reliability, rather than have railcars which are less reliable.  So the Class 121 has been sent back again and wonít be replaced.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3440 on: July 12, 2019, 08:20:54 PM »
so no more ds -easel laurence,steaming ahead ?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3441 on: July 13, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
Today being Saturday, we walked into Hessle as usual.  I didnít have an early session in the Train Shed because we have now modified our Saturday routine to walk in early and then return home again for coffee.  So it was after coffee that I set about the Train Shed again.  Today, I programmed Stanier Class 5, 45206 at the head of the milk train. 

I had decided that I would change the decoder from the Bachmann that I fitted when it first arrived and replace it with a spare Digitrax (or is it a Gaugemaster?) that I had in my draw.  Some time ago, I ordered some decoders of different types to see how they worked.  I bought two Lenz Silver Minis, a Digitrax and a Gaugemaster.  However, when they arrived, I found that the Gaugemaster and Digitrax were identical, so I donít know which is which.  I fitted the one Lenz decoder in 80119 and the other in the J39.  I knew I had fitted another (probably the Digitrax), but didnít make a note of which loco.  I used these decoders to replace the original Bachmann decoders that I fitted when I first began building the layout, 

The reason I fitted the Bachmann ones in the first place was that, lacking any previous experience with DCC, I simply bought the cheapest.  This turned out to be a mistake.  The big problem with them is that they are not programmable via the normal CV2 (Vstart), CV5 (Vhigh) and CV6 (Vmid), but require CV 29 to be set to use a speed curve and CV25 to select the speed curve, followed by CV66 to set the forward top speed and CV95 to set the reverse top speed.  It all gets a bit complicated when calibrating locos and there is less control of the performance characteristics. 

Anyway, it turns out that 45206 was the loco to which I had fitted the Digitrax but, for some reason, I had left it in the speed curve state by programming CV29.  So when I removed the coal from the tender, I found the Digitrax decoder and not a Bachmann that I had expected.  It was a simple matter to reprogram CV29 to revert to using CVs 2,5 and 6 and then I began calibration from scratch.  It all went very well although, as is often the case, I had a bit of fiddling to get the deceleration right. 

The real beauty of DCC is that, if the decoder is set up correctly, all the operator has to do is to turn the speed up to maximum and let the decoder take care of the acceleration.  The loco then accelerates smoothly up to the top speed programmed into the decoder, determined during calibration by timed circuits of the layout.  Then, as with the acceleration, when the train reaches a particular point on the layout, the speed is turned back to zero and the train slows down to stop in the required position.  I made a short video of 45206 leaving the milk depot and stopping in the UP loops.  The video begins when I turned the speed controller to maximum speed.  When the end of the train disappeared into Gatsby Tunnel, I turned the speed controller back to zero and it stopped at the correct place in the loops.

The DCC system allows me to start one train going, then a second and a third.  I only ever operate three at a time, one on the UP main, one on the DOWN main and one on the branch.  But using this system, it is easy to get them to run nicely and stop in the right place, without having to micromanage each one.

In the afternoon, I picked tomatoes and soft fruit.  The strawberries are now picked out, as are the blackcurrants and the gooseberries.  But we should have some Summer puddings to look forward to.

STOP PRESS

Weíre going to TINGS!  The original plan was to travel down on Friday, spend two nights in the Holiday Inn, visit the show on Saturday and then return home on Sunday.  However, after I had booked the hotel and bought the tickets, Celia realised that it was the U3A coffee morning on the Saturday.  As she is the chairman, she really does need to be there.  Fortunately, the tickets are valid on either day and I had made a flexible hotel booking, so we were able to change our plans.  The current plan is to drive down on Saturday afternoon, stay one night, visit TINGS on Sunday and then drive home later on Sunday afternoon.  Phew! 
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3442 on: July 13, 2019, 06:29:23 PM »
Thanks laurence. Great video. See you at tings

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3443 on: July 13, 2019, 07:45:41 PM »
The reason I fitted the Bachmann ones in the first place was that, lacking any previous experience with DCC, I simply bought the cheapest.  This turned out to be a mistake. 

Very well said, Laurence.

Price is what you pay.  Value is what you get.

Or as Pullman used to express it: 'The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.'

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3444 on: July 14, 2019, 08:08:37 PM »
Today was the day of Hessle Feast.  The Feast seems to have originated in the early nineteenth century, the earliest records being in 1806 and 1836.  It was originally held at Whitsuntide, which occurs between the second week in May and early June, depending on the year.  At some stage, the feast fell into disuse, but it was resurrected again in 1990.  It now occurs on the second Sunday in July.  The Feast is an occasion when the streets are closed in the town centre so that market stalls, funfair rides and other entertainment and jollity can take place.

So, today, we omitted our early Sunday walk and I had a session in the Train Shed before coffee.  This time, I programmed 6417 with its ĎBí set that plies back and forth between Kingly Junction and Evenbury.  It is one of the locos with a Bachmann decoder, but it requires a decoder with right-angled pins and, so far, I havenít managed to track down any other decoders with right-angled pins.  I may have to send it off to Douglas at Wickness to see if he can do anything.  It might require a 6-pin plug and socket to relocate the decoder (if I can find a space for it). 

But I digress.  First I set the start voltage for 6417 to 5, so that it just moved with the speed set to Speed Step 1.  Then I managed to program to it to run with a maximum speed of about 22mph.  Finally, I set its acceleration and deceleration.  As usual, the deceleration setting required a few iterations to get it to stop at the correct places in the platforms and storage loops.  On its last UP run platform stop, it decelerated nicely, but when almost at rest, appeared to stop a little too suddenly.  It required a little nudge to get it going again.  Everything then ran well until it started from Platform 2 on its final DOWN run.  While accelerating away, it suddenly stopped and required a nudge to get going again.  There were two more stops during the acceleration phase, but each time it recommenced accelerating again of its own volition.  After that, all was well again.  I might just have to keep an eye on 6417.

After that, I parked 6417 in the Milk Depot so that I could program the station pilot, 9744.  I brought it out onto the mainline and I will see if I can get it programmed tomorrow.  There was a Marton Hinmarche Feast today but, because the layout is still under construction I am unable to show any pictures.  Perhaps next year I will be able to show some.  So I have had to post some of Hessle Feast instead.

After coffee, we walked into Hessle to have a look at the feast.  We had some heavy rain overnight and then another shower at about ten oíclock this morning.  So when we arrived, it was not very busy and many of the rides were still being dried out.  Hereís an early street scene.

Round in the square, it was not much different.

But, a bit further along there was more life to be seen.

This was the scene in the small bus station.  There will be no buses here today.

Our butcher always sets up a BBQ stall outside his shop.  We called there to get a small something to eat.

By the time we were ready to move off, Prestongate was getting a little busier.

Normally, upwards of 5,000 people arrive in town for the feast.  On the way home, we passed many of them walking in from their parked cars.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3445 on: July 14, 2019, 08:21:31 PM »
looks fun !!!

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3446 on: July 15, 2019, 07:49:02 PM »
Today was table tennis day.  Before we went, I had a quick session in the Train Shed.  I managed to calibrate the station pilot, 9744.  It didnít take as long as the other locos because it will rarely enter the loops or require deceleration for a station stop.  When I finished calibrating it, I ran it into the goods depot and the backed it up into the goods yard.

After we returned from table tennis we had coffee before I set about the leylandii hedge at the side of the house.  It was hard work wielding the long-arm hedge trimmer, but I was able to finish the side face of it before we stopped for something to eat.  In the afternoon, I trimmed the top and then cleaned up most of the debris, completely filling the councilís compost wheelie bin.  By that time I was pretty well out of it, so we had a cup of tea and then I went back to the Train Shed.

This time, I brought Small Prairie 5572 out onto the mainline and calibrated it.  While it was out, I ran 6713 around the branch goods and then returned 5572 to the Shipton run-around and replaced it on the mainline with 6713 and the branch goods.

6713 is now ready for calibrating tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3447 on: July 16, 2019, 05:19:01 PM »
We didnít go to the gym today because we were booked on a guided historical walk around Beverley.  But I did get a session in the Train Shed before we set off.  I managed to recalibrate 6713 and return it to the Shipton run-around, before working on 4571 with the other branch passenger.  Fortunately it requires almost exactly the same CV values as 5572, so it didnít take too long.  Tomorrow, I will run 6417 around the mainline and into Platform 4, which will allow me to bring 3846 and J39, 64960, out of the siding where they are currently stored and onto the mainline for programming.  Here they are waiting for the right away to move out of the siding.

Soon I will be able to get on with more terraforming.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3448 on: July 16, 2019, 05:39:49 PM »
Good luck with the terraforming scenery, more interested in that laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3449 on: July 17, 2019, 07:19:40 PM »
Today was another gym day.  As usual, I managed a session in the Train Shed before we set off.  I programmed 3846, which took quite a long time because, at the correct speed of 15mph (scale) it takes 8 minutes for a singe circuit of the mainline.  It seemed a little inconsistent.  First it was too slow, so I speeded it up. It was still a bit slow so I speeded up a little more.  Then it was too fast.  So I reduced its speed again, but it was still too fast.  I reduced the speed a little more, but then it was to slow again.  This cycle went on for some time before I was satisfied that the speed was good enough.  However, that was when the trouble started. 

There is no need to fine tune acceleration because the loco, when at the head of the coal train, never stops and starts except in the hidden loops, so it can start almost instantaneously.  But the deceleration needs to be a long one to allow it to fully enter the storage loops.  I bought the loco with a DCC decoder already fitted by Dapol.  Although the maximum delay setting should be 254, the decoder would not allow me to enter any value greater than 127, otherwise it defaulted to zero.  In the end, I decided that I would need to change the decoder.  Yesterday, I took delivery of three Lenz Silver Mini decoders to replace some of the Bachmann ones that I installed when I first received my locos.  I decided to use one of these in 3846.  But I could not work out how to access the tender to change the decoder.

By then, it was time to go to the gym.  Afterward, we had been invited to a Ďpop-upí lunch by CatZero.  We (Hessle U3A) had invited them to speak about their project a couple of months ago and, as a result, they invited us to the lunch.  You can read about CatZero here:

http://catzero.org/

The pop-up lunch is provided by the current tranche of trainees.  They had to budget for the meal, buy in the produce, decide on the menu, prepare and cook the food and serve it.  The guests were people such as ourselves, volunteers and staff from CatZero.  It was an excellent lunch, very tasty and not too much on the plates.

Later, after a cup of tea, I returned to the train shed and worked out how to remove the tender body.  Then I replaced the decoder, although I had to do this twice because, on the first occasion, I fitted the new one the wrong way round.  Then I began again.  Once more the speed settings proved erratic, which must be a characteristic of the loco rather than the decoder.  But I was able to set the deceleration to 254.  In the end I ran out of time, but I am clearly making progress.

Tomorrow, I should be able to finish 3846 and get on with 64960.  Once thatís complete, I can make a start on the scenic work (again!).
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Below Goal: £40.00
Site Currency: GBP
75%