!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 193016 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3240 on: May 08, 2019, 08:31:49 PM »
Back Story (continued)
Wednesday May 8th 1959

The Thin Controller, Brendan Beanpole, is hoping that, when one or more specials are run between Marton Hinmarche and the alternative Cornwall, he will be able to get together with the Fat Controller to work out the best way forward for the development of the Aylesbury and Worcester.  Although he has a considerable amount of experience of operations on the London Midland Region, he only spent a relatively short time working on the Western Region and would therefore like the benefit of the William Wickham’s advice, based on his considerable experience.

The Aylesbury and Worcester is a strange rag-bag of operations.  The majority of it is based on WR operations, but there is a substantial LMR element and some ER operations as well.  He is keen to provide Baron Tiverton with a truly impressive operating system that will be a credit to all those concerned with it.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3241 on: May 09, 2019, 09:09:38 PM »
Today, we spent our time walking around King’s Lynn, looking at the shops and various bits of history and interest.  We were immensely impressed by the shopping facilities which are far more impressive than those in the centre of Hull.  Both the history and architectural interest of the town are immense.  But of special interest to me was a visit to the railway station.  It’s all decked out in pre-1965 BR Eastern Region livery.  This is what greets you as you approach the station.

Inside, the buffet was rejuvenated for its centenary.

I thought you might like to see a nice picture of the ER station logo.

And finally, here’s the station itself. 

It looks a bit overgrown (no, very overgrown) with weeds, but that belies the twenty-five trains a day to Kings Cross, plus a couple to Liverpool Street as well.  They run every hour but, at peak times, there are half hourly trains as well.  The journey is via Cambridge and it takes two hours to Kings Cross.  I suspect that, in pre-1965 BR days, the platforms and track would have looked a lot smarter.

Today’s little video sees the last of the intermediate passenger trains to call at Marton Hinmarche for the day.  It is the 1500 from Norwich Thorpe, which will go forward to Worcester Shrub Hill.  The train is hauled by B17 61664, Liverpool, and it arrives at Platform 2 after BR standard class 2-6-4T, 80119, has halted at Platform 2.  The whole sequence begins with Small Prairie 5572 bring a branch passenger from Norton into Platform 4.  While all the trains are in the station, panier tank 6713 runs around the branch goods in the Norton run-around.  Then 61664 sets off for Worcester, followed by 80119 to Kingly Junction on its way, eventually, to Aylesbury.  Finally, 5572 takes its branch passenger train on to Shipton.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3242 on: May 10, 2019, 09:42:10 PM »
Back Story (continued)
Friday May 10th 1959

Alan Cooper and Mick Gibson had planned to have a railway adventure for the Whitsun half-term.  In 1959, half term was just two days, Friday and Monday, although the school broke up at midday on the Thursday.  They decided that Whit Monday might be too busy on the trains and so decided to have their adventure on the Friday.  Alan’s dad had been negotiating with the station master, ‘Big’ Fred Motson to get the boys a round trip ticket for their adventure.  In the end, for a moderate sum, he was able to arrange a ticket for them to travel from Marton Hinmarche to Worcester Shrub Hill and then onto Birmingham Snow Hill via Bromsgrove.  From Snow Hill they will travel to Leamington Spa, where they will catch the 1645 from Nottingham to Marton Hinmarche, arriving at 1818.  The boys split the price of the ticket between them out of their saved pocket money.

Well, what a day they had!  They caught the 0918 Hereford Train from Marton Hinmarche arriving at Worcester Shrub Hill at 0948, hauled by 6837 Forthampton Grange.  Then they caught the 1044 from Worcester arriving at Snow Hill at 1146 hauled by 6960, Raveningham Hall.  Eventually they arrived at Birmingham and there they left the station and went along Colmore Row to the Lyons Restaurant for their dinner time snack.  In those days, you could get a good dinner from Lyons for about one and nine pence.

When they returned to Snow Hill, they spent quite a long time on the platform ‘spotting’ lots of ex-GWR locos, until a British Transport Policeman told them they would have to either catch a train or leave the station.  They caught the 1500 ‘Inter City’, a twenty-four-coach train headed by 6021 King Richard II and piloted by 5916 Trinity Hall.  It thundered down to Leamington Spa General in about thirty minutes.  The boys got into a bit of trouble because the train had two restaurant cars with an intermediate kitchen car.  Passengers kept telling them to shut the windows when they were trying to see the numbers of locos coming in the opposite direction.

They were able to stay in Leamington for a while and crossed across to the Avenue Station where they were able to see some Stanier 2-6-4 tanks and one or two 2-6-2 tanks.  Eventually they caught the 1740 Nottingham to Marylebone train headed by Jubilee Class 45572 ‘Eire’, arriving back at Marton Hinmarche at 1818.  They had bagged a few new locos on the trip, including Rebuilt Scot 46103 Royal Scots Fusilier which they saw travelling in the opposite direction while travelling between Snow Hill and Leamington.  They had a good tea and went to bed contented.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3243 on: May 10, 2019, 10:26:43 PM »
Thanks for the story laurence. Hope norfolk hospitality is treating you well.. . Sounds familiar to us all in our younger days travelling, spotting and catching glimpses of locos and writing in our ian allan books

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3244 on: May 11, 2019, 08:07:26 PM »
There’s not too much to report today.  It was our last day in King’s Lynn and we have been looking at museums and the history of the town, which is incredibly full.  In between, I have been trying to create a realistic working timetable (as opposed to the operational timetable).  There are several conflicting demands.  The main one is to create a timetable that is the same for every day of the week.  My previous attempt produced four different timetables, each for a different day of the week.  This was because there are forty-eight different sub-cycles and I had timed them at hourly intervals. 

In order to overcome this, I have found a way to reduce this to two repetitions of twenty-four.  But I still don’t want the timetable to span 24 hours.  In order to reduce it to a manageable duration, I reduced the interval between sub-cycles to 36 minutes.  However, this has proved to be too short a time for the branch operations and creates difficulties for parcels operations.  I can just about manage if I increase the time between sub-cycles to forty minutes, but I would really like the branch goods to remain in the station for forty minutes-plus for unloading and loading.  In addition, it would be good if the parcels trains have a forty-minutes-plus wait, again for unloading and loading.

In the end, I think I now have a workable system for creating the timetable, but it will be quite time-consuming to fiddle about with all the times and sequences to get it working.  I’ll keep plugging away at it and I will report back when there is anything concrete to show.

Tomorrow, we will drive home again, hopefully in somewhat better driving conditions than we experienced on the way here.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #3245 on: May 12, 2019, 08:55:08 AM »
Looks like you need a computer for your timetable :), thanks for all the updates had to catch up from page 200
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3246 on: May 12, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
Looks like you need a computer for your timetable :), thanks for all the updates had to catch up from page 200
Thanks Maurits.  I'm using an Excel spreadsheet and I've nearly finished the UP timetable.  Then It's the DOWN one to do, but I think I've cracked the system now.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3247 on: May 12, 2019, 09:50:59 AM »
Creating a Working Time Table (WTT) will be great fun, Laurence.

The real ones can, of course, have all sorts of variations from day to day which are explained in the WTT or the Notes.

Here's some examples from the G&SWR:

'Calls at Challoch Junction, when required, to pick up empty oil cans.'

'Runs daily (Sundays included).  Except Mondays.'

And what about this...

'Runs on Mondays only.  Leaves Dumfries at 11.0 p.m. on Sundays!'

And it was all created on huge sheets of graph paper - incredible to see.

Are you using a 'fast clock' system so that the 24 hour day is run in a shorter period of time?

I hope you have a good and safe journey home.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3248 on: May 12, 2019, 10:15:32 AM »
Just caught up with your thread Laurence, hope you and Celia are both back to full health and enjoying your refreshed sitting room.  The fencing is looking excellent, puts me to shame as I am being lazy and using Kestrel fencing  :-[

Safe travels from King's Lynn and good luck with the timetable

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3249 on: May 12, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »
almost completed the UP working timetable.

I won’t be using fast clocks, nor any sort of clocks.  I will run the trains in the Train Shed using the operational timetable, which will need to be modified to fit the new working timetable.  The working timetable will be used to describe the progress of train recorded in the Train shed.  I will continue to run and record train movements in my own time.

Here’s today’s video.

The core of today’s video is the return of 5041 Tiverton Castle with the UP Dragon Beach Express, which left Pwllheli at 1430 and will eventually arrive at Paddington at 1930, calling at Aylesbury on the way.  On its way from Pwllheli, the Dragon Beach Express stopped at Shrewsbury and Worcester.  The video starts with Small Prairie 4571 leaving the Shipton loops and making its way to Platform 4.  Then, Ivatt Mogul 46443 leaves UP loop 1 and arrives at Platform 2.  Before Tiverton Castle emerges, we also see 5572 run around its train in the Shipton run-around.  After the Dragon Beach Express had thundered through the station, the other trains continue on their way.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3250 on: May 12, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »
laurence

thank you for the timetable, the pleasing video accompanied by a lovely piece of classical music - made my night - after baseboard work and listening to a neighbour rowing with an ex!!!!

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3251 on: May 13, 2019, 07:24:28 PM »
Today, we had our monthly committee meeting.  But, getting back to normal, before we went I had a session in the Train shed.  It was my first visit to the Train Shed for nearly a week and so I spent the time running trains which, after all, is why the Train Shed was built in the first place.  I ran the next sub-cycle (2a) which began with the arrival of 5572 from Norton at 1025.  Please note this is the old timetable, which will change once the new timetable had been finalised.

Then 80119 arrived with the 0955 from Worcester, arriving at Platform 3 at 1027.

Already standing in the Milk Depot was 45206 with the milk train.

Finally, 6837 Forthampton Grange arrived with the 0921 from Paddington, calling at Aylesbury.  After 6713 had run around its branch goods in the Norton run-around, Forthampton Grange departed from Platform 2.

Then, first 80119, followed by 5572, set off, the former to Aylesbury, calling at Kingly and Longbury, while the branch passenger headed for Shipton.

Perhaps tomorrow, I will be able to resume making fences.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3252 on: May 13, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »
thank you laurence

hope that the committee meeting went well.lovely photos and just captures the scene perfectly- superb selection of locomotives in a beautiful station

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3253 on: May 14, 2019, 08:07:52 PM »
We really are getting back to normal now.  This morning, we went to the gym and, before we went, I had an early session in the Train Shed.  I had a short operating session, which began with 4571 bringing its single coach 1110 from Shipton into Platform 4.

Then 46443 arrived at Platform 2 with the 1118 local from Kingly. 

After I ran round 5571 in the Shipton Loops 46122, Royal Ulster Rifleman, thundered through the station with the UP South Midlander which left Wolverhampton Low Level at 1020 and is due in to Marylebone at 1215.

After the gym, I had to wait in for the gas man to do our annual service and then there was a certain amount of gardening duty to be done.  After the obligatory cup of tea, I want down to the Train Shed again and made some more hedging to bound the field to the left of Black Horse Cutting.

After that, I started on some more fencing.

I now have enough fencing parts cut to make about 1200mm of fencing, which should be enough to be going on with.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #3254 on: May 14, 2019, 09:16:11 PM »
Some nice photos there Laurence, thank you.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here