!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 226401 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3210 on: April 27, 2019, 06:01:45 PM »
Neither of us are back to anything like one hundred per cent yet, but we soldier on.  Also, the joiner was here again today, making up for the lost time on his previous job.  I drove into Hessle this morning to the butchers and then spent the rest of the morning editing the video I shot yesterday.  Eventually, I did get down into the Train Shed again this afternoon.  I forgot to mention, yesterday, that 5572 ran perfectly when I shot the filming sequence (well, nearly perfectly because I made a mess of its first run and it played up a little when I re-filmed it but, after that it was perfect).  It just goes to show what a difference it makes leaving it a couple of days after the IPA treatment.

However, 5572 really didnít want to run-around its train today although, once it eventually got going, it ran OK.  I also had trouble with 46443 starting from the DOWN loops and again restarting from Platform 3.  Also, Ditcheat Manor was reluctant to start from the DOWN loops at first, but then behaved impeccably.  In addition, 6417 needed several attempts to get started from the UP loops, but was OK thereafter.  So I really would like to get the whole timetable complete and get on with track cleaning and giving some of the locos the IPA treatment, followed by a considerable amount of running-in.

In the end, I completed all the filming for another two timetable cycles and I now have to edit them into complete videos.  In the meantime, hereís the next little video in the series.

In this little video, the main focus is on the Bowen-Cooke G2, 49368, plodding its way along the UP line from Oakwood tunnel, through Marton Hinmarche station and, finally, into Gatsby Tunnel.  It is hauling a heavy freight train, mainly coal from Coventry colliery, with some mineral wagons as well.  When it eventually reaches Aylesbury, the train will be broken up and most of the coal will go on to London and the Home Counties.  While it is chuffing round (chuffing being an appropriate description for a G2), 4571 arrives with the 1110 branch passenger from Shipton and 46443 bring in a local passenger from Kingly.  While the two passenger trains are waiting in the station, 5572 runs around its train in the Shipton run-around before 46443 departs for Evenbury and 4571 sets of along the branch for Norton.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to start on the final set of timetable sub-cycles before setting about track and loco cleaning.  Then it will be on with more fences and hedges.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3211 on: April 27, 2019, 06:13:27 PM »
Thank you for another splendid film Laurence.

Lovely music, too - as ever.

And the 'G2' is certainly a worthy star of the film.

All totally tickety-boo!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3212 on: April 27, 2019, 07:08:23 PM »
Thankyou for your kind words, John.  The G2 certainly looks 'spiffing', as you might say.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3213 on: April 28, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
Iím still far from better, but there is some improvement and I was able to do a couple of gardening jobs during the day.  The first was to clear the Ferline bed behind the greenhouse.  Over the Winter, Celia had been getting on with another project but, in order to complete it (as far as possible) she had to find somewhere to stack a lot of very old bricks.  Those she stacked on the Ferline bed.  Ferlines are the outdoor tomatoes we grow because they have good blight resistance.  Blight is a real problem in this area, probably because of the proximity of the Humber with higher humidity and milder temperatures than elsewhere.  Last year we grew blight resistance potatoes (Valour) as well and they did very well.

In the afternoon, I placed the bottomless pots on the Ferline bed and filled them with compost, ready for transplanting the plants once they are strong enough to go outside.  So now all the tomatoes are either planted, in the case of the Sungold, or ready for planting out.  After a cup of tea, I had another session in the Train Shed.

I managed to film two more video sequences, which leaves only one more to film before the whole timetable had been completed.  5572 was a real pain again.  I just could not get it to start and keep going in the Norton run-around.  I tried setting its acceleration to zero, but without any improvement.  I gave the track a good clean, but it still wouldnít behave.  In desperation, I put it on the mainline, where it ran absolutely perfectly.  I reset the acceleration to normal and it still ran nicely.  So I put it on the branch in the station and ran it back to the Norton run-around, without any problem.  After it coupled up with its train I tried starting it again, but it was still troublesome.  However, eventually, it pulled away and was fine after that.

5572 did give another slight hiccup wen running around its train in the Shipton run-around but, otherwise, the only problems I encountered were caused by my failure to start deceleration soon enough for 61664 Liverpool and 46443.  Also, first time into the Norton run-around, 4571 failed to drop its coach and I had to refilm its arrival again.

Hereís the next video in the sequence.

Todayís little video sees 45206 take the milk train away from Marton Creamery, through the double crossover and off on its way to Aylesbury.  When it arrives there, it will be split up, with some of the tanks going on to London, some going to the Midlands and yet others off to East Anglia.  The video starts with Panier Tank 6713 bringing a branch goods from Norton to Platform 4 and, after that, Ditcheat Manor arrives at Platform 2 with a parcels train.  Before 45206 departs, we see Small Prairie 4571 run around its single coach in the Norton loops.  After the milk train has disappeared into Gatsby Tunnel, the parcels train leaves for Worcester and then, the branch goods sets off for Shipton.

I now still have three more videos edited and ready to go plus the two I filmed today that require editing.  I should be able to film the last one tomorrow and then I can clean all the tracks and have a go at various loco wheels, followed by some running-in sessions.  After that, it will be all hands to the pumps on more fencing and hedging.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3214 on: April 28, 2019, 10:48:22 PM »
Everything seems to be running nice and smoothly in the videos!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3215 on: April 29, 2019, 07:37:44 AM »
Everything seems to be running nice and smoothly in the videos!  :thumbsup:
Thank you for your kind remark.  It's a question of the camera always lying.  Every time I have a problem, I have to keep reshooting the sequence until I get a good one 'in the can'.  So, if anyone tries to tell you the camera never lies, don't believe them!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3216 on: April 29, 2019, 08:04:19 AM »
Hi Laurence, sorry to hear about your and Celiaís health problems. Take it steady whilst you recover.
Good to hear that your Snark hunting was successful and that you are back up and running. 👍

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3217 on: April 29, 2019, 07:44:15 PM »
The joiner was still here today so I didnít get to do a lot, other than nip down to Screwfix for some special tongue screws for him so that he didnít have to stop work.  Iím still far from recovered, but Celia is a lot better today.  I had intended to do some more in the garden but, hopefully, I may be able to get out in the garden tomorrow.  Before the joiner started on the floor, I helped him move the furniture from the section still to be laid onto the completed section.  Because it is all solid oak, it is very heavy and requires two people to lift it.

Later. I managed another session in the Train Shed and completed the last filming session.  Then I uploaded the next video onto YouTube.

The video today features 6837 Forthampton Grange which arrives at 1329 with the 1215 from Hereford Barrs Court, calling at Worcester Shrub Hill for a1304 departure.  After a two-minute stop at Marton Hinmarche, it goes on to Aylesbury, arriving at 1351, finally going forward to Paddington to arrive at 1423.  Before it reaches Platform 3, Small Prairie Tank 5572 arrives at Platform 4 from Shipton with a two-coach branch passenger, followed by a six coach local passenger hauled by BR Standard Class 2-6-4T.  The local train originated from Aylesbury, calling at Longbury and Kingly.  It will go on to Evenbury and Trubshore before finally arriving at Worcester Shrub hill.  After both of the other trains have left, 5572 takes its branch passenger train on to Norton.

After loading the video, I helped the joiner move all the furniture back to its proper positions.  He will be back on Wednesday afternoon to put some trim into position and remove his wedges, which he used to keep the final run in position because it had to be glued (there wasnít room to get his screwdriver into the final tongues).

Tomorrow, I should be able to start on track cleaning and loco maintenance.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3218 on: April 30, 2019, 08:03:23 PM »
Today, I decided to concentrate on rest and recuperation.  So I didnít go to the gym, I havenít done any gardening and I even gave the Train Shed a miss.  However, by the end of the afternoon, I was feeling considerably better so I hope that, by the morning, I will be much more like my usual self.  Hereís the next video in the series.

In todayís video, Rebuilt Royal Scott 46122 ĎRoyal Ulster Riflemaní works the DOWN South Midlander, which left London Marylebone at 1345 and made a brief stop at Aylesbury.  The Scot thunders through Marton Hinmarche non-stop with its twelve coaches, on its way to Wolverhampton Low Level where it is scheduled to arrive at 1540, calling at Worcester Shrub Hill on its way.  First you see Small Prairie 4571 arrive at Platform 4 from Norton and then Ivatt Mogul 46443 brings in a local train from Worcester, having called at Trubshore and Evenbury on the way.  It arrives at Platform 3 at 1427, after which we see the other Small Prairie that operates the branch, 5572, run around its train in the Norton run-around.  Once 46122 has passed through the station, 46443 sets off for Aylesbury, calling at Kingly and Longbury.  Finally, 4571 departs for Shipton.

I had to use extra loud music for this video and for tomorrowís because there was a violent rain storm while I was filming and it wasnít until I began editing that I realised that the noise of the rain hammering down on the roof of the Train Shed was drowning everything out.  Perhaps Iíll be able to get on with track cleaning tomorrow

I would like to add a few words about Paul Price here, as well as in the dedicated thread.  His fascination with the LMS and his collection of Jubilees was always a source of great interest.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3219 on: May 01, 2019, 08:10:35 PM »
Today, I really did get down to the Train Shed for an early session.  I had to wait in today for our new rugs for the sitting room to be delivered, but Celia was able to go off to the gym for her aqua-fit class.  Before she went I removed Oakwood Tunnel and cleaned all the track between the DOWN loop throats and the crossover points at the station approach.  Then I replaced the tunnel and removed all the station buildings to clean all the tracks within the station up to the London Road Bridge.  Finally, I removed Gatsby Tunnel and cleaned all the tracks between the UP loop throats and London Road Bridge.  The sequence was completed by replacing Gatsby Tunnel and all the station buildings.

After that, I began to move trains out of the UP loops.  However, before that, I had to move 46443 from DOWN Loop 12, round the layout through UP Loop 8, to sit behind 6417, which I had moved forward in DOWN Loop 18.  That left Loop 12 free for trains to run out of the UP loops, around the DOWN loops and then into the UP platforms of the station.  There was one more formality before the wholesale emptying of the UP loops.  I moved 65761 with the pickup goods out of UP Loop 7 and into DOWN Loop 7, running 45206 with the milk train round through Loop 7 and into the goods platform in the station.  That left both trains ready to return to their Ďhomeí loops once cleaning is complete.  On the branch, I ran 4571 with its single coach out of the Norton run-around and onto the UP leg board outside Gatsby Tunnel.

Then I ran 6837 Forthampton Grange from UP Loop 2, through Loop 12 and into Platform 3.  80119 followed from UP Loop 5, again through Loop 12 and, via the branch crossover, into Platform 4.  The UP platform filling was completed by running 7821 Ditcheat Manor with the parcels train from Loop 6, through DOWN Loop 16 and into the milk depot.  Then it was time to run G2 49368 from UP Loop 4 round to DOWN Loop 16, followed (at a respectable distance) by 5041 Tiverton Castle from UP Loop 1 to Loop12, which was no longer needed for through running.  That left 45572 Eire to be moved from UP Loop 3 into Platform 2.  The UP loops were then all clear (apologies for the camera shake).

Conversely, the DOWN loops were fully occupied (with double occupation in Loop 18). Nearest the camera are the two branch trains, the branch goods (6713 is off camera) and 5572.  Next to these is 46122 Royal Ulster Rifleman with Tiverton Castle behind.  Then comes B17, 61664 Liverpool and 92006 with the fish train.  Behind that are 4915 Cranmore Hall and 49368 with the heavy goods.  On the next track is 65761 with the pickup goods and, finally, 6417 is in front of 46443 in Loop 18.

Here's a view from the UP end of the station.  Nearest the camera is the bunker of 80119 at Platform 4.  On the other side of the platform, slightly out of focus, is 6837 Forthampton Grange.  Over at Platform 2 you can see the some of the coaches of 45572 Eireís train.

From the other end of the station, 7821 Ditcheat Manor sits at the milk depot platform with its parcels train while, just beyond it at Platform 4, you can see the rear of 80119ís train and, at Platform 3, the coaches of Forthampton Grangeís train.  45572 Eire is waiting at Platform 2.

Tomorrow I will clean the UP loops and then move the trains out of the station and the DOWN loops.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3220 on: May 02, 2019, 04:59:20 PM »
Yesterday it was the joiner and today it was the painter.  I just hope he doesnít paint over the gas tap so I canít turn it on. 

In the afternoon, I had a session in the Train Shed and cleaned all the track on the UP loops.  Because there is an ongoing discussion on the forum about track cleaning with IPA I thought I would include a bit of detail here.  I use strips of card cut up from old Metcalfe card kit packets.  First I squeeze a little IPA from a syringe onto one end of the card and then apply that to a section of track pressing it down and sliding it along the whole section to be cleaned.  Then I use the opposite end and repeat the process with clean card to wipe the IPA off the rails, together with any dirt.  Here you can see the card after a single use.  The left hand end was used for the initial application of IPA and the other end to wipe it off again. 

After cleaning each section, I cut off the ends and then use the fresh ends for the next section.  To clean the loops, I first clean the point complex at the back of the board as a single section (in this case they are the exit points).

Then I clean the point complex in the middle of the board (the access points).

After that, I clean each of the eight loops individually between the exit and access points, using a fresh piece of card end for each.  This is followed by cleaning the branch run-around.  You can see the eight mainline loops here with the branch run-around on the right.

Once I had finished cleaning the UP loops, I moved all the trains out of the DOWN loops and filled the UP loops.

So now Iím ready not clean the DOWN loops.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3221 on: May 02, 2019, 05:31:33 PM »
looking good on the p way and the track laurence and trust that the work being done at home is completed satisfactorily
to your standards. really enoy reading the threads and the informative journey about your layout. chris
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:32:59 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3222 on: May 03, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »
A lot happened today.  The painter finished and the gas man wanted to come, but I told him the painter hadnít painted over the gas tap and so he is coming in a fortnight to service the boiler.  The other thing of note that happened outside the Train Shed is that, somehow, I managed to get elected to the town council, more by accident than design.  I had agreed to stand to make up the numbers, thinking that there was no chance of being elected.  However, there was such a big swing against the two main parties that they were wiped out in the town council.  Oh dear!  I suppose I will be able to cope with it.

When I did get down to the Train Shed, I cleaned all the DOWN loops and then moved all the trains back to their starting positions.

So now I will be able to get on with some scenic work.  Iíll have to think about loco wheel cleaning because they all performed pretty well when I moved them back to their Ďhomeí loops.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3223 on: May 03, 2019, 08:10:52 PM »
congratulations Councilllor Laurence.

beautiful photos and another episode of the Daily Hessle train shed blog. work in progress on the layout we see. Chris

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3224 on: May 03, 2019, 08:20:55 PM »
Iíll add my congratulations too Laurence, no doubt you will serve your community well.
I have, in the past, resisted attempts to persuade me to stand for the parish council here, something  that I shall continue to resist, interesting as it may well be.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything