!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 271333 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3135 on: March 26, 2019, 09:31:57 AM »
When can I place my order for 2000mm of it for Perthshire? :D
I suspect 1959 will be the year in Marton Hinmarche  :D
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3136 on: March 26, 2019, 07:37:00 PM »
This evening we are in Oxford to visit the dentist in the morning.  Yes, I know, Oxford for the dentist, Milton Keynes for the car service!  However, itís what we do.  I managed a visit to the Train Shed this morning before we set off and I will bring the thread up to date tomorrow, when we return.  In the meantime, hereís a little something from the backstory.

Back Story (continued)
Tuesday March 26th 1959

Although in the 1959 that we all knew (at least those of us old enough to remember) March 26th was a Friday, it is perpetually 1959 in Marton Hinmarche and so the day of the week changes every year, in the same manner as in our Ďrealí time.  Julius, Baron Tivertonís eldest son, has his birthday today although, strangely, it is his fourtteenth birthday yet again.  His brother Marcusí twelfth birthday is not until May.  To celebrate his birthday, the baron has arranged for the two boys to go to the goods yard at Marton Hinmarche station and ride on the footplate of 9744 while the driver carries out some shunting manoeuvres in the yard.  The picture of the goods yard is a bit hazy because the photographer had to take the picture from the higher ground on the far side of the milk depot.

The boys were allowed to operate the controls in the cab, under strict supervision of course, although only Julius was allowed to operate the regulator and then, only very briefly, because the driver thought he might get into trouble if news leaked out.  They also had a go at laying the fire with the firemanís shovel.  When they had finished shunting, the driver, Fred Hopkins, his fireman, Bill Stickers and the shunter, ĎLongí Claypole took the lads into the little shunterís lever frame box for a slap-up tea.  The shunterís box, situated in the goods yard, looks a bit like a mini signal box.

There was none of the jelly and ice-cream usually associated with birthday teas.  It was a proper railwaymanís tea with mugs of strong tea and sandwiches.  Because it was a birthday tea, the sandwiches were prepared by Heather Wilson, the housekeeper from Beresford Hall.  She had also made fruit scones and a delicious fruit cake.  There was also a bottle of Shipton Strong Winter Ale for each of the three railwaymen, although they were under strict instructions to wait until they were off duty before opening them.

When the boys arrived back home at Beresford Hall, Julius opened a special present, an 00 gauge panier tank, to mark the occasion.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3137 on: March 26, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
Enjoy Oxford Laurence and hopefully all will be well at the dentist.
I know what you mean, our dentist is only 5 miles away in Penryn but if we ever moved away, Iím sure we wouldnít want to change dentists.

Incidentally, on enlarging your second photograph, what is that chain line attachment across the cab door ?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3138 on: March 26, 2019, 08:12:59 PM »
Incidetally, on enlarging your second photograph, what is that chain line attachment across the cab door ?
I don't know.  I've only just noticed it on the photo.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3139 on: March 26, 2019, 08:46:40 PM »
Incidetally, on enlarging your second photograph, what is that chain line attachment across the cab door ?
I don't know.  I've only just noticed it on the photo.

Just hope that nobody pulls it!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3140 on: March 27, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
looks like the Train Shed Project has matured from a thread to chain :) 

Looking good there though

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3141 on: March 27, 2019, 07:40:49 PM »
Before our trip to Oxford, I had another filming session in the Train Shed.  I am gradually working through the operational timetable, sub-cycle by sub-cycle.  In the end, there should be a complete record of the whole timetable.  This allows me to run trains for a short while each day and the get on with some scenic work in my afternoon session.  Yesterdayís filming was Sub-cycle 5a, with Forthampton Grange hauling an UP passenger destined for Paddington, via Aylesbury.  There was one slight mishap, when 5572 caught the edge of the platform on start-up and came to a halt with its drivers spinning.  So I had to readjust the platform and restart.  Thankfully, all was well thereafter.  I also managed to upload the next sequence to YouTube and start editing the one I had just filmed.

I only had an opportunity for a very brief visit to the Train Shed this evening to make sure everything was still OK.  However, while Celia was in the dentists chair for an hour this morning for a root canal filling, I managed to start on a public timetable for Marton Hinmarche.  I still have a long way to go, but this is what I have done so far.

It is only half of the DOWN timetable and most trains have not been entered yet, but I think you will be able to get an idea of the final product from the above.  I still have to investigate the chain on the cab door of 9744.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3142 on: March 28, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »
look forward with interest to see your timetable develop, I have been looking into 1947 timetables with a view to bringing some more credible train's to Auchterarder and my thread ... also including the Crieff Junction.  I am combining this with a reading of "passenger train operations for the railway modeller" by Bob Essery

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3143 on: March 28, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »
This morning, we planned to visit J Sainsbury, having been away for a couple of days.  I made a visit to the Train Shed before we went to film the next sequence.  However, it was not successful because when I tried to switch on the camera it was totally dead.  It was then I realised that I had put the battery on charge before we set off on Tuesday and it was still in the charger.  The problem was that there is a green light when it is charging, but, when the battery is fully charged, the light goes off and there is nothing to indicate that the battery is still in the charger.  I had forgotten about putting the battery on charge until it was too late.

Our first task at JS was to fill up with petrol, having covered almost 450 miles since the last refuelling.  After completed our shopping, we stayed on for coffee and then returned to unpack everything.  I needed to go to the dump (sorry, recycling centre) in the afternoon, so I spent quite a time getting the trailer ready with all the items to be taken.  Then, after something to eat, I finally managed to get into the Train Shed to shoot the video sequence.  I also uploaded the next one for the forum.

The trip to the recycling centre followed.  It is a large resource with about forty different bins, although they are not all in use at the same time.  I took our old lawn mower for the re-use shop that they have there.  Later, after some more video editing, I moved some slabs in the garden at the approach to the Ďcaveí.  Itís not really a cave, but it is a void behind and ornamental hedge with partial overhead cover and next doorís vinery wall along the other side.  Itís a really good place to store all the things we want to keep out of sight, like wheelbarrows, etc.

Then I had time for another Train Shed Session and made four more fence sections.

I now have quite a long run of fencing along the trackside approach to Gatsby Tunnel. 

I think I have enough to experiment with painting, so my next task will be to get out the airbrush and see what I can do.  I suspect that may be my next afternoon session in the Train Shed.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3144 on: March 29, 2019, 07:00:28 PM »
Today was domestic chores day and, there being no other distractions, I set about them with gusto and managed to get them all done in time for a foray down to the Train Shed before coffee.  I had thought of switching tactics and shooting the video this afternoon to avoid the sunlight streaming through the windows in the morning but, by the time I had finished the chores, the Sun had moved round quite a bit and I decided to make the shoot after all.  I shot the next sub-cycle (5c).

After coffee, I had quite a lot of fairly heavy work to do in the garden which kept me busy for the rest of the morning.  In the afternoon, I found some more garden jobs that I had missed but, eventually, I managed another session in the train shed.  I made the final piece of fence to complete the run I had started.  Then I gave them a first coat of acrylic with my air brush.

After that I had a go at making a five-bar gate to fit into the hedge that will continue on from the fencing.

Itís not the best example of a five-bar gate but it took me three of four attempts to get on top of the fencing, so another attempt might produce the required result.

Later, I uploaded the next video sequence to YouTube.

Iíll try to add a second coat to the fencing tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3145 on: March 29, 2019, 07:17:10 PM »
Excellent, Laurence.  Gusto is good.

I'm just back from a business trip Up to Town and am experiencing negative gusto.

Still, it was HSTs both Up and Down so could have been worse.  It's jolly good going through Peterborough on the York - KX non-stoppers.  New England bridge to Crescent bridge in a jiffy - whee!

And I note your point about the sun moving!

Thanks again for your splendid posts and all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3146 on: March 29, 2019, 09:29:50 PM »
 :hellosign: Excellent progress Laurence, very good looking fences, admire your tanacity & look forward to seeing more of your timetable.
     regards Derek

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #3147 on: March 30, 2019, 12:49:12 AM »
chorleywood and on.

M xx

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3148 on: March 30, 2019, 06:34:59 PM »
Iím afraid I have a bit of a cold today.  Itís not too bad, but I have a sore throat, probably caused by a sinus infection.  However, it didnít stop me from getting on with things.  I left the Train Shed until after coffee and we walked into Hessle, as usual, to visit our butchers.  We had coffee when we returned home and then I had a filming session in the Train Shed because the Sun had moved round from the front windows.

After that, I did some video editing and worked in the garden.  When I was just finishing my last job, Celia announced that there was only a bucket full of compost in Bay 4 and asked me to get it out for her.  That meant I was then faced with quite a big, heavy job of moving the contents of Bay 3 into Bay 4.  This was while I was rearranging the roof of Bay 4.  I keep a roof on Bay 4, but not the other bays because, without a roof, when we have a spell of wet weather, the compost becomes too saturated to dig out and spread onto the garden. 

So now I had to remove the roof, which comprises eight 22mm X 150mm planks.  It was difficult to remove the first plank because they had swelled since I last removed them, even though I have a tarpaulin over them.  The reason for rearranging the roof was to change the way the tarpaulin sits to prevent them from swelling!  In the end, I managed to prise out the first and then the rest were easy.  However, after shifting the compost, I found that they would not fit back again.  The last one was about 20mm oversized, presumably because they had all expanded once not under compression.  Try as I would I couldnít get them back again and I had to resort to sawing a wider notch.  I made sure that I didnít remove the full 20mm and sawed at a bit of an angle to enable me to knock in the final plank with a mallet.  With the rearranged tarpaulin, they may contract again, so I took off as little as possible.

Later, after another session of video editing, I made my way back to the Train Shed.  I applied a second coat of paint to the fencing, this time with a Number 1 brush and a darker paint.  I think the mottled effect will be OK, but I will wait until tomorrow before I make the final decision.

After that, I made another five-bar gate and this time I think the effect is much better.

Finally, I made a small piece of hedging to fit between the fencing and the five-bar gate.

I am using War World Scenics Hedgerow Creation Kit for the hedging and covering it with Woodland Scenics blended turf, which seems to work very well.

Later, I uploaded the next video, Sub-cycle 5b featuring the fish train..

Iíll see if I think the fencing is good enough to install tomorrow and get the five-bar gate painted.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3149 on: March 31, 2019, 06:46:58 PM »
Iím afraid I have a bit of a cold today.... However, it didnít stop me from getting on with things. 

Laurence, you're a better man than me! I can work through a lot of things, but colds have always been fairly debilitating for me. My wife expects me to be more like you (and her), but I endure the ridicule and rest my body and soul for the duration.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal