!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 152410 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #2505 on: July 21, 2018, 03:39:35 AM »
The first task will be the platforms (quite important for a railway), then the Metcalf card kits followed by general scenery.  Will I be finished this time next year?  I very much doubt it.

Laurence, I'm still reading early posts in your thread and was struck by this quoted comment. I think I've seen in a subsequent post that the platforms are finished. How's it going with the Metchalf kits? I've bought about eight or ten and that will be my winter project. Actually, I'll probably do the station kit before that. I need to see the station in the context of the elevated tracks. An experienced modeler would probably not rely soley on eyeballing, but I'm not experienced! :)

Leon

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #2506 on: July 21, 2018, 07:07:51 AM »
The first task will be the platforms (quite important for a railway), then the Metcalf card kits followed by general scenery.  Will I be finished this time next year?  I very much doubt it.

Laurence, I'm still reading early posts in your thread and was struck by this quoted comment. I think I've seen in a subsequent post that the platforms are finished. How's it going with the Metchalf kits? I've bought about eight or ten and that will be my winter project. Actually, I'll probably do the station kit before that. I need to see the station in the context of the elevated tracks. An experienced modeler would probably not rely soley on eyeballing, but I'm not experienced! :)

Leon
My first platforms were Ratio plastic kits and they are fine, except that I (very slightly) under-estmated the space between tracks for the island platform, which was also not perfectly straight.  So I replaced the island platform with a metcalfe kit, which is excellent except that the spacing is still lightly problematical.  My problem is that the platform is over five feet long and, although I laid the tracks as straight as I could, there are slight deviations of a milimeter or two, which cause some locos to catch the platform edge.  I have just scratch built a platform from 20 thou (0.5mm) Plasticard, but had to allow an extra couple of millimetres gap.  So the passengers will have to 'Mind the Gap' because of the extra (scale) six inches either side.  Of course, I could have bought another Metcafe kit and made it slighly narrower, but I want to develop my scratch-building ability.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2507 on: July 21, 2018, 08:00:09 PM »
Both my sessions in the Train Shed today have been concerned with positioning the new island platform.  It is still very critical.  The tracks are 100mm between centres, so 80mm should be the correct width for the island platform.  I have found this to be a problem in the past because, although I laid the track underlay with a 1m long steel straight edge, there are slight deviations in the tracks of a millimetre or two.  So I have reduced the width of the new island platform to 78mm.  However, the principal culprit of platform scraping is 92006, which has cylinders that protrude far beyond the frames.  It is critical on its first encounter with the ramp and there are a couple of spots at the far end of the platform.  The main problem with adjusting the platform position for 92006 is that the branch train on other side of the platform can also be problematical.  I had a real problem with the branch goods, although it is only a temporary phenomenon.  Because I have been running the branch trains in push-pull format, there is a problem with the cattle truck when itís being pushed.  The hand brake catches the platform edge at one point.  However, after a lot of testing, I managed to find a position that was acceptable for both the branch trains and 92006.

After my first early Train Shed session, we walked into Hessle as usual to visit the butcherís and have a coffee.  Then I made a start on the high hedges.  I completed the side of the hedge behind the compost bins and the Train Shed, but I wonít be able to cut the top until I move the compost from Bin 2 to Bin 3, so that I can erect my tower in Bin 2.  Later, I cut the hedge at the top end of the same side.  I used my long arm hedge trimmer.

The step ladder is just under six feet high, just to give an indication of the size of the hedge trimmer.  It is quite hard word using it and, by the time I had finished, I had worked up a real sweat.  Fortunately, Celia agreed to clear up the hedge cuttings.

When I had finished all the platform testing, it was time for a cup of tea.  Then I reprogramed one of the routes to allow me to run the new timetable.  I have now put the branch trains into position ready to start the new timetable.  The branch goods now starts in the adjacent loop to the original branch passenger with the ĎBí set.

You will notice that the branch goods is being operated by the push-me-pull-you for the time being.  I have programmed the two locos as Consist 14 so that I can operated them as Loco 14.  Soon, I hope to receive 6713 to take over the branch goods as loco 14.  At the other end of the branch, 4571 waits with its single brake end.  Eventually, I will add another suburban coach to its train.

After that, I tested the sequence of branch route setting and I had already printed out the new route set so that I could program the second branch route.  I should now be able to commence a test run of the new timetable tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2508 on: July 21, 2018, 08:37:09 PM »
Laurence.
Not sure if it is just me but I canít see your photographs this evening.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2509 on: July 21, 2018, 08:39:30 PM »
Laurence.

Martin
In fact, I can no longer see any of your photos!

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2510 on: July 21, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »
Laurence.

Martin

I've had that a number of times but if you refresh the page the photos appear. A bit odd but I'm sure a 'puter wiz could explain why!

Dave G

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2511 on: July 21, 2018, 08:49:53 PM »
Laurence.

Martin

I've had that a number of times but if you refresh the page the photos appear. A bit odd but I'm sure a 'puter wiz could explain why!

Dave G
Nope. Itís the same on both ipad and iphone Iím afraid.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2512 on: July 21, 2018, 09:07:55 PM »
Well the good news for me is I can see your photos ok, I am on a computer though not i pad has Martin so maybe Apple is the problem. I also have a I pad, I will have to try looking if I get the chance later. You seem to be progressing well, to get the tracks straight in my station although not has long has yours I used a straight track setter. Also I must admit I would not like cutting hedges while that high on those ladders...he..he so glad I do not have any, I hate heights, something to do with nearly falling off ladders at work in the sixties.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2513 on: July 21, 2018, 09:12:34 PM »
Laurence.

Martin
The photos are certainly there!  Can you see any photos on anyone elses thread?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:14:07 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2514 on: July 21, 2018, 09:16:47 PM »
Just to add to the photo' thing - when I first looked at todays, there were none, just a tiny little square, but they are showing now. I do, quite often, see the little square though, instead of the photo's.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #2515 on: July 21, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »
I can see them OK. Martin, I think you've upset the Cornish pixies :D
The layout is coming on a treat. I admire your perseverance. In this part of the world everything is dying off now from lack of rain so gardening is put off until the rains come, if they come.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2516 on: July 21, 2018, 10:13:40 PM »
we walked into Hessle as usual to visit the butcherís and have a coffee.

Your butcher is very accommodating. Surely he's there to sell you meat, not to provide coffee? ;D

As for your pics, I always have to refresh the page for them to appear. I think you said it's maybe down to where you store them.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2517 on: July 22, 2018, 12:32:00 AM »
Well has promised I am on my I pad now and can see the photos fine so not sure what Martins problem is.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2518 on: July 22, 2018, 06:47:27 AM »
Most of my photos are on my website.  You can see an index (numbers only) at www.innovationgame.com/ngf.  The highest numbers are the latest pictures (P1010500 onwards).  The problem may be associated with download speed.  If your connection is slow, it may take a long time.  Accessing the website directly may speed things up a bit.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2519 on: July 22, 2018, 08:21:55 AM »
Thanks everyone.
All is fine again this morning just as it always has been previously.
Maybe just a glitch here last evening.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here