!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 199635 times)

bob lawrence, Chris in Prague, andy-sf and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2475 on: July 16, 2018, 07:33:32 PM »
Today was our table tennis day.  But before we went, I had a good early session in the Train Shed.  First, I ran the next four sub-cycles, entirely without incident apart from the fact that 3846 made contact with the last coach of Liverpool’s. Train and began to push it forward.  I stopped 3846, but it was on the right track, so I investigated.  I found that Track 16 had come unstuck from its Copydex and crept out towards Track 15, where Liverpool’s train stood. 

Later, I was able to use a track pin to relocate Track 16 into its correct position.  After the running session, I carried on with the platform work.  By the time I had to stop to go to table tennis, I had added another three side wall sections.

We didn’t stop for coffee after table tennis.  We decided to come home for coffee to save time.  After coffee, I retrieved my long-arm hedge trimmer from the garage and set about the hedge at the end of our little terrace.  It is half holly and half box.  I wish it were all box because the holly can be very nasty if it is in a bad mood.  I had finished most of it and cleared up before we had our midday salad on our little terrace.  Afterwards, I finished the job and, eventually, put all the tools away.

Then it was back to the Train Shed.  I beavered away at the platform and, finally finished the assembly.

I used some small bit of scrap Plasticard to reinforce the joins in the side walls because, earlier, when I turned it round to work on the other side, they began to split a little under the weight of the whole structure.

I was able to try it out in its final position.

I checked the platform height against a corridor coach and it looked OK to me.

I have ordered some old red brick sheets from Scalescenes and I will print out a sheet of platform slabs that I created earlier.  I was quite pleased with today’s progress and I will have to wait and see how I get on tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2476 on: July 16, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
Looks good Laurence.
I think that you have the platform set at just the right height. It seems fine.
No lunch outside here today. It was raining.
In fact it rained for 2 hours from about 8-30-10.30 this morning then a bit  of drizzle at lunchtime.
You wouldn’t know now though. All dry and dusty again.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2477 on: July 16, 2018, 07:56:42 PM »
I retrieved my long-arm hedge trimmer from the garage and set about the hedge at the end of our little terrace.  It is half holly and half box.  I wish it were all box because the holly can be very nasty if it is in a bad mood.

Maybe not a bad thing, Laurence, just in case your garden gets infected with the very disagreeable Box Blight (and I seriously hope it doesn't).

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2478 on: July 16, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »
In fact it rained for 2 hours from about 8-30-10.30 this morning then a bit  of drizzle at lunchtime.
It's now 31 days since we had any measurable rain (i.e. less that 0.2mm in a month).

By the way, I could do with some help.  When I stick my paper brickwork and slabs to the Plasticard, would it be best to use PVA, or would a drop of Humbrol liquid plastic soften up the plastic surface sufficiently to stick the paper?
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2479 on: July 16, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »
It's now 31 days since we had any measurable rain (i.e. less that 0.2mm in a month).

By the way, I could do with some help.  When I stick my paper brickwork and slabs to the Plasticard, would it be best to use PVA, or would a drop of Humbrol liquid plastic soften up the plastic surface sufficiently to stick the paper?
I’m no expert where glue is concerned.
I’ve always used PVA (watered down a bit) for that sort of job but as you have a largish area to do it might be easier if you buy a can of sprayable PVA.
Might be worth practising first though.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2480 on: July 16, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »
What with the holly and the pyracantha you are living dangerously, Laurence. Are you sure you have no Giant Hogweed or Triffids? :worried:

Oh - and the platform height looks fine to me ;D

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2481 on: July 16, 2018, 08:47:36 PM »
I agree the platform height looks good to me, you definately do not want any of that Giant Japenese Hogweed stuff around its hard to get rid of. I have read recently its not has dangerous to buildings has first thought but the local river authority around here is having a lot of trouble getting rid of it from the banks of the River Irwell, plus you can get nasty burns from it on your skin.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #2482 on: July 16, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »
It's a large area to stick paper to styrene. Try a test piece of self adhesive label. When sprayed with varnish it should be OK.
Double sided tape is another possibility or spray picture mount glue.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2483 on: July 16, 2018, 10:02:59 PM »
I too wonder if PVA would work and perhaps the suggestion of some sort of spray mount adhesive could be a better bet.

It'll be interesting to see what you decide to use, Laurence.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2484 on: July 17, 2018, 07:35:35 AM »
I've checked back on Roger's 'Cottage for Wrenton' thread and he uses Mek-Pak to stick on his roof tile paper sheet, so I should think that my Humbrol Liquid Poly should be equivalent.  I' ll give it a try on some scrap plasticard before I commit myself to it.  :hmmm:
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2485 on: July 17, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »
That's a pretty good looking blood and custard....

New Farish or old?

:thankyousign:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #2486 on: July 17, 2018, 08:49:13 AM »
might be worth a gentle scuffing of the plastic with fine abrasive to give any adhesive something to key into.

I use self adhesive sheets for card modelling, but that's sticking the sheet to card, not plastic.

Roket card glue does claim to stick to plastic and I haven't had any issues sticking metcalfe windows in place with it, might be worth a try.

if using a spray adhesive, I'd recommend against spray mount as it's re-positionable and does peel over time, most of my graphics portfolio needs restoring as everything has come loose from it's mounts over the past 9 years! Photo mount is a bit more heavy duty, I can't remember if it's re-positionable or not.

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #2487 on: July 17, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »
I've checked back on Roger's 'Cottage for Wrenton' thread and he uses Mek-Pak to stick on his roof tile paper sheet, so I should think that my Humbrol Liquid Poly should be equivalent.  I' ll give it a try on some scrap plasticard before I commit myself to it.  :hmmm:

I've not used the Humbrol stuff. Before using on a model I'd check that there's no reaction between glue and printed surface. I've used both ordinary office type paper (80gsm) and thicker tinted paper. Both seem to stick down well.

I align the paper with the model, wash a little adhesive onto a corner and press with a finger tip for a few seconds. When dry check alignment again, then slowly work across the paper a bit at a time, washing on adhesive, smoothing and applying some pressure until dry. Trim off any excess paper, then give a final wash of adhesive round the edges making sure they're well fixed. I usually apply a coat of matt varnish the next day to protect the printed surface.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2488 on: July 17, 2018, 12:03:26 PM »
That's a pretty good looking blood and custard....

New Farish or old?

:thankyousign:
It's newish Farish (about 18 months old) so probably off the current procuction line.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2489 on: July 17, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »