!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 318666 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #4425 on: July 28, 2020, 06:25:15 AM »
The cottages are looking good Laurence.
I like your plan for the guttering. If it works, I may well steal your idea.
I'll keep you posted, Martin.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4426 on: July 28, 2020, 07:50:17 PM »
Today was something more like a normal day (before lockdown).  However, because of all the shenanigans about shopping and masks, etc, we decided to go to J Sainsbury before going to the gym.  Also, because our petrol tank was less than half full, we filled up with petrol before venturing into the store.  But we did have time to unpack everything before setting off for the gym.  The cafť there is only open for take-away coffee (in paper/plastic cups Urghh!) so we came home again for coffee.  I was expecting a delivery in the afternoon, so I elected to spend my time in the garage working on the baseboards rather than in the garden or the Train Shed.

I did have to make several trips to the Train Shed to collect various bits and pieces but, for most of the time, I was occupied in the garage (whilst listening to Test Match Special on BBC Sounds).  To begin with, I had to get the first baseboard down from the joists and I then started to apply the cork underlay strips to the lines that I had had previously drawn for the edges of the tracks.

I beavered away at the underlay and, eventually, I managed to complete the first baseboard.  That including cutting various slivers of underlay to fill in where the track diverged for points.

Once I had completed laying the underlay on the first baseboard, I retrieved the second baseboard from the rafters and added the cork underlay to that.  Here are the two baseboards clipped together (I clipped them together before working on the second baseboard to ensure correct alignment between the two boards).

Eventually, the delivery arrived and so we went for a belated walk before a cup of tea.  After tea, I played around with a second-hand piece of track and some Veroboard.  Then I ordered some short screws and more Veroboard to allow me to connect sections of track together plus aligning track between baseboards.  Hereís a picture of the piece of track and a piece of Veroboard.

Tomorrow, I may be back in the Train Shed again with a view to completing the row of cottages.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4427 on: July 29, 2020, 07:45:04 PM »
Today we returned to lockdown normality.  We walked into Hessle to deliver our weekend order to the butchers and then continued for a walk along the river.  After coffee, I spent the rest of the morning working on the U3A newsletter.  Our newsletter editor had done a good job of getting everything into it but Word can be a bit of a pig to format and so I spent my time formatting the document and getting it all shipshape.

After dinner, I picked tomatoes and runner beans.  Then we had a visitation from one of the U3A committee members so it wasnít until after a cup of tea that I made it down to the Train Shed.  I began to run the next operational cycle.  Hereís Forthampton Grange at Platform 3 with a Hereford to Paddington train.

I hadnít got too far along the timetable before I realised that there was something radically wrong.  It turned out that, during my previous operating session, I hadnít completed some of the movements (although I donít remember why).  The result was that the branch line trains were in a real pickle.  By the time I had sorted it all out there was precious little time left.  However, I did manage to add the first chimney stack to the row of cottages.

At least, all the trains are now back in their correct positions for the start of the next operational timetable cycle.  I will see if I can make some more progress with the row of cottages tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #4428 on: July 29, 2020, 07:52:34 PM »
Laurence

Now are you sure you didnít finish the previous operating cycle...

Is it the trains playing by themselves when all are asleep  :no:

Stay safe

Mike H

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4429 on: July 30, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
Thursday is normally our play day.  We had planned to go to Hornsea this morning.  Yesterdayís forecast for today was quite encouraging but, this morning, it was cold and grey and drizzly.  The forecast was not encouraging and, when the rain started, the forecast suddenly changed the probability of rain to 100%.  I suppose they looked out of the window.  The result was that we stayed in and I made considerable progress with the Solihull MS newsletter (I am the editor of that one).  After dinner, the sun came out and the temperature suddenly rose five degrees so we decided to go for a short outing in the afternoon.

We drove out to Cherry Burton and walked along the old railway line, now known as the Beverley to Market Weighton Rail Trail but, formally, was called the Hudson Way.  It is the track bed of the old line from Beverley to York.  Encouragingly, East riding Council have recently taken the decision to lobby the government to get the Hull to York line (of which this is a part) reopened as an electrified line.  The mainline into Hull would need considerable upgrading to electrify it and it is also subject to flooding when there is a tidal surge and, in addition, there is always the threat of land slip.  The plan is to make it a single line with a footpath running alongside, although there are also thoughts about making it double track again.

Anyway, it was a gorgeous summer afternoon for a walk in the countryside, with hardly a sound of civilisation, although we did have an altercation with a car driver when we crossed the B1248 from Beverley to Malton.  However, it was an almost perfect summer afternoon that reminded me of walks when I lived in the Cotswolds.

We arrived home in time for an aperitif and then I managed to snatch a few minutes in the Train Shed.  I added the second chimney to the row of cottages and then fitted the roof.

The ridge looks a bit wonky but I think the ridge tiles will cover up the evidence of a botch-up.  Iíll see what tomorrow brings.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4430 on: July 31, 2020, 08:05:19 PM »
Today dawned warm and sunny.  We began with our usual walk into Hessle to collect our order from the butchers.  On the way, we called in at the greengrocerís to buy a few carrots.  When we set off, I forgot my mask but, fortunately, Celia had remembered hers, so she offered to let me use hers, if necessary.  The greengrocer informed us that masks were officially unnecessary because his shop opened fully at both the front and the side and was classified as outdoors.  When we reached the butchers, I joined the short queue but the assistant brought the order out to me so, once again, I didnít need a mask.

We arrived home in time for coffee and then, being Friday, it was time for all my domestic chores.  I managed to finish them all by dinnertime.  In the afternoon, I erected an enhanced support for our James Grieve.  James Grieve is a variety of apple tree and ours was originally bought as a patio plant, when we lived in Bletchley.  After we moved here, we planted it in the garden, but it has a very weedy trunk and canít support the weight of the apples.  Even with the support I had put in place beforehand, it was sagging rather badly and so it required some bolstering.  After that, I picked tomatoes, raspberries and the remainder of our greengages.  The greengages have been a little disappointing, mainly because many of the fruit were attacked by wasps, probably from the waspsí nest that I destroyed recently.  However, this is the first year that we have had a crop of more than two, so the tree is beginning to mature.

I had thought of cutting the grass, but it was far too hot, so I repaired to the Train Shed instead.  I tried to make some more progress with the row of cottages.  I applied the ridge tiles, which slightly improved the wonky roof, but it is still rather poor.

Itís made worse by the rather irregular chimneybreasts that I had to cut by hand.  You can see the problem of the gaps around the chimneybreast.

I thought I would make some flashing to go around the chimneybreasts.  I cut them from 20 thou black Plasticard.

However, they are not very good and, if I have do make any more flashing, I will either use 10 thou Plasticard (which is white and will require painting) or I will try to make something out of paper.  However, the overall effect of the row of cottages isnít too bad, although there is definitely room for improvement.  Hereís the view of the front of the row of cottages.

The view of the back is somewhat better, but I will have to regard this as a learning curve.

Iím not sure what I will do tomorrow.  I may just have a running session.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4431 on: July 31, 2020, 08:11:58 PM »
Laurence, I use right angle plastruct strips to make ridge tiles.
It has  a smooth finish but you can easily cut grooves in the strip to create individual tiles and being made of rigid plastic it is easy to fix.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #4432 on: July 31, 2020, 08:28:25 PM »
Hi Laurence,

How many supports do you have for the roof structure across the width, it is not clear from your previous photographs, i would have had one at each end, one that goes through each chimney and one between each property ie 5 in total. I also build the chimneys off the roof support that goes through the chimney, by laminating 40 tho plastikard either side to make the chimney shape.

where i can i would utilise 40tho for the roof covering in two pieces bonded at the center line to form a solid roof, usually oversize width to one half and pare back after adhesive set

Hope this makes some sort of sense, if you wish i can draw it for you.

Mike H  8)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4433 on: August 01, 2020, 06:38:27 AM »
Thank you @Nbodger and @port perran for your suggestions.  I never had a problem with my other two full buildings because the chimneys were at the gable ands and I had a support runing the whole length of the roof.  But I think I need to modify the design for intermediate chimneys.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4434 on: August 01, 2020, 06:44:03 PM »
Today began with a near disaster.  In the end it was OK but, when I opened our bedroom blind I was confronted by this.

I had left all the Train Shed windows wide open all night and the blinds up.  Fortunately, all the windows are top hinged so, in last nightís thunder storm, there was no water ingress.  Of course, an intruder might have been able to gain access, although, more likely, they could have helped themselves to some of the stock in the storage loops.  I shot out in my dressing gown and shut everything up and pulled down the blinds to prevent the sun from cooking the track in the storage loops, something that has happened before, resulting in a short across an IRJ.

After breakfast, the bulk delivery I was expecting arrived.  One hundred 400mm square slabs and two bulk bags, one with 20mm chippings and the other with sharp sand.  They were nothing to do with the Train Shed, but for our planned changes to the garden.  Our neighbour opposite, who is a builder and is in the process of making changes to his own house, volunteered to move the bulk bags with one of his machines after he returned from the gym.  Before he returned, I had to move the slabs from their pallets round to the place that we wanted them so that he could get into the drive with his little caterpillar machine.

I moved all the slabs on my sack truck before I stopped for coffee.  In the meantime, Celia started work using the gravel for the work she had planned.  After coffee, our neighbour arrived with his machine and we managed to stow the bulk bags at the bottom of the drive.  I had intended to cut the grass this morning but, in the end, I opted for a session in the Train Shed.  Once again, I opened all the windows because it was over 25C when I arrived there.

I started with a nice, relaxing, operating session which all went very well.  5572 did require a couple of nudges in the run-arounds but, otherwise, everything ran perfectly, which was a joy to operate.  After that, I turned my attention to the row of cottages.  I think I have now worked out how I will make the second row to take into account the lessons learned during the construction of the first.  Then I added the chimney capping stones.

I was all ready to add the chimneypots, once I had found them, but I remembered that I need to drill some holes in the capping stones with my Dremel, which was in the garage.  So that is as far as I got in the Train Shed today.

After dinner, there was a short shower, but it didnít last for many minutes and it wasnít long before I was able to cut the grass.  Then it was BBQ time.  Yes, I know we are a bit mad, but we had set our hearts on it earlier in the week, when we thought the weather would be set fair for the weekend.  However, there was only one shower and we sat in the summer house to eat it, so we had a nice one after all.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4435 on: August 02, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »
After a lot of pondering, we finally decided to purchase a Humber Tag, which allows us to cross the bridge in the tag lane, without having to queue to pay at one of the toll booths.  Our original thinking was that, as we only crossed the bridge a few times a year and had never encountered a long queue for a toll booth, we would just pay as we went, because to have a tag requires a deposit and an account that needs to be topped up.  However, since lockdown, the toll booths are card only and it seems to take an age for each vehicle to pass through the tolls.  The result is that there are now long queues for the tolls.  So, after our trip to Cleethorpes a week or so ago, we took the plunge and registered for a tag.  It came yesterday, so we decided to try it out today.

For our morning walk, we drove over the bridge to Waterís Edge, which is a wildlife sanctuary with a visitor centre.  The weather was excellent and we had a really enjoyable walk.  However, when we went into the cafť, we had to give a name and phone number for Track and Trace, which didnít please us because it means that we might be clobbered if someone who didnít come anywhere near us tests positive for Covid-19.  We arrived home in time for me to pick peas before dinner.

In the afternoon, it was harvest time proper and I picked runner beans, climbing French beans and tomatoes, plus I pulled some beetroot and lifted some more of the first earlies.  The tops of the first earlies are looking decidedly past it now, but the potatoes underneath are absolutely perfect.  Once that was done, I dug a hole for a plant that I had dug up a few days ago so that it could be replanted in a more suitable position.  Then, using the grafter that I had brought out to dig the hole, I dug up quite a lot of very mature convolvulus roots.  Then it was time for a cup of tea.

After a cup of tea, I managed a short spell in the Train Shed.  I remembered to take my Dremel with me and drilled the holes for the chimney pots, which I then fitted to the chimney caps of the row of cottages.  After that, I looked out some proprietary downpipes to add to the cottages and fixed them in place to the front walls.

I still have to fit the downpipes to the rear walls, but I should be able to get that finished tomorrow and then that will be the first row of cottages complete.  When I start the second row, I will bear in mind the lessons learned from building the first row.

With kind regards
Laurence

Online Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4436 on: August 02, 2020, 09:19:57 PM »
... when we went into the cafť, we had to give a name and phone number for Track and Trace, which didnít please us because it means that we might be clobbered if someone who didnít come anywhere near us tests positive for Covid-19.

Laurence, I'm sorry you were displeased about the Track and Trace, but I applaud whichever authority instituted that requirement. How else are we going to rid ourselves of COVID-19? Our country has done nothing like that so far as I know and we're no closer to controlling the virus than we were at the very beginning! Too many people like my brother who continue to listen to the rambling wreak that is our President.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #4437 on: August 03, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »
Good Morning Laurence,

Quite often nip over the river to see friends in Barton. I also have some ex colleagues who set up there business in the offices at the Visitor Centre.

When I was at work, used to walk through the wildlife area at lunchtime, that area in days gone by was a chemical plant, manufacturing fertiliser, the access road was known as Chemical Road, now named Malt Kiln Road (formerly Chemical Road)

Just interested was it the Visitor Centre Cafe you stopped for coffee or the Ropery, in my opinion the Ropery is a lot better, along with its adjacent museum of rope making on the site and the small art gallery.

Mike H  8)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4438 on: August 03, 2020, 05:09:46 PM »
We had coffee in the visitor centre, which seems to be much better since the lockdown.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4439 on: August 03, 2020, 05:13:46 PM »
The delayed photos. of the Penmayne portion (with Restaurant car) of the BR WR special from Marton Hinmarche should be posted soon. The Repol Bay and Port Perran portion ccame off at Wadebridge, as is standard for such trains.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal