!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 306585 times)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #4260 on: June 05, 2020, 08:14:58 PM »
Hi laurence
 The bardic lamp was always a sought after piece of kit. It was and is part of regulation guards kit. But it's been superseded by led lamps. It was and is used on emergency lighting on tracks  , as an emergency torch, back up for tail and head lamps back and  front of trains. I have had to place abardic before on the rear . It's been used by platform staff with the clear aspect to give guards by the platform staff the all clear then the off and departure. Shunters and guards wave green and red aspects in poor visibility and darkness or white for departure, setting off, . Red is stop obvious. We wave the lamp violently eg quite swing our arms and a red bardic for absolute danger. Yellow rarely used except as a signal if failed. Hope helps
I know  where to obtain spare bulbs and have a rulebook available if copies are needed. Have a good weekend laurence. More info ..... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?312047-British-Chloride-Bardic-rail-signal-lamps&s=4eb2d8b244c0eff4d93e9725554cfff9      also rail supplies, bulb supplies   at    https://footplateequipment.co.uk/lamps/br-bardic-lamps/bardiccassette.html
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:21:01 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #4261 on: June 05, 2020, 08:20:17 PM »
Now, it would be nice if some of the railwaymen on the forum could give me a full description of the various uses of the Bardic Lamp.  Itís not a high priority for me, but it would be nice to know.  I might even be able to use the knowledge in the backstory, which has been sadly missing for many moons.

When I was at the Watercress Line we used them for train/loco movements at night - IIRC it was green swung from side to side for move towards, green swung up and down for move away and red for stop. We would also use white swung the same way instead of the greens or held stationary instead of the red if a coloured lamp wasn't available.

I managed to modify the battery arrangement for quite a few of the lads because I worked at a BT warehouse at that time and had permission to raid the scrap bin - the BT issue ones had a battery cradle for 3 x D-size cells which were a lot cheaper then the single large battery that most were designed for.

Not all were suitable because the main reason the BT guys "traded them in" at the stores was because they'd dropped them in flooded manholes so many times that the contacts and springs were fubared but quite often I'd find one where the engineer had swapped it for one of the new lighter torches that were available for issue by then.

Of all those that I remember seeing, the military issue ones were green with the crow's foot logo, the BT ones were yellow with either a PO or BT logo and the railway issue ones were grey.

I still have mine "somewhere" I think. That's a real hybrid - a military single aspect case with a railway multicolour aspect added and the BT D-cell battery cradle  ;)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:24:44 PM by chrism »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4262 on: June 05, 2020, 08:23:10 PM »
The railwayman took care of ours and that's a decent summary chrism of his time at alresford

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4263 on: June 05, 2020, 10:25:22 PM »
I agree with Chris and Chris, Laurence.  The Bardic was the replacement for the good old paraffin hand lamp, which showed red/green/white by turning the top handle.  Used by guards and shunters at night or in fog or falling snow.  I have a signalman's one with a yellow aspect as well.  Signalmen used them instead of flags when visibility required it.

The utility mark certainly implies yours is a WD example.

These lamps replace flags and shunters' hand signals at night.

Finally, green waved violently equals red!

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4264 on: June 05, 2020, 10:29:07 PM »
Platform staff, shunters, drivers  guards all were issued with these and i have two lucky as one sod left his lying around. Nobody claimed so my boss said have it after a month.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #4265 on: June 05, 2020, 11:07:46 PM »
I also have 2, one acquired from ebay quite cheap which is a BR one and a yellow one which I bought through the Great Western society at Didcot soon after passing out as a shunter there in 1979, a position I held for 19 years that I am now in the process of requalifying for on the Epping Ongar railway.
Before I got it I used an ex London Transport paraffin handlamp that I was given by my father, who used to hang it on the back bumper of his car in the days when you had to show a red light towards oncoming traffic at night.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4266 on: June 06, 2020, 08:41:10 AM »
Thank you one and all for all the information on the Bardic lamp.

I believe that, although the modern LED lamps have replaced the Bardic Lamp, the name still persists in many places in much the same way as Hoover and Biro persisted for many years for vacuum cleaners and ball point pens.  However, as my story line is associated with 1959, which is before the advent of the Bardic Lamp.  However, Doctor How resides in Martn Hinmarche and he may have grabbed one of the prototypes for use on the Aylesbury and Worcester.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4267 on: June 06, 2020, 07:50:29 PM »
We didnít need to go to the butchers this morning, thank goodness.  I say thank goodness because we have had a lot of squally showers today.  So far this month we have had 23mm of rain, which is almost as much as over the previous three months.  Eventually, we managed to dodge the showers and get in a quick two-mile walk.  However, we did have a near escape from a soaking.  As we approached the bridge below the Humber Bridge approach road, we came across an enormous puddle on our side of the road.  Vehicles passing through it projected a wall of water over the pavement.  But there was no pavement on the other side of the road.  We approached it with trepidation and looked back when we reached it but, fortunately, there was nothing in sight so we set off at a quick pace.  However, when we were about three-quarters of the way past it, another vehicle came over the brow of the hill.  We hurried on but, again fortunately, there was nothing coming in the opposite direction and the driver pulled over to the other side of the road, sparing us a soaking.

After coffee, I set about moving the contents of Compost Bin 1 into Bin 2.  It was fairly backbreaking work but, in the end, I was able to achieve the desired result of completely emptying Bin 1.

Bin 2 is on the left and I finished off by laying old carpet over it to keep it from scavengers and to help maintain the moisture levels.  I then had some U3A tasks to do because we have sent out the latest newsletter by Email, but I needed to create some address labels for those without email that we would deliver by hand.  After dinner, I attended the raspberry bed and removed armfuls of rampant weeds.  I always worry a bit about the raspberries.  Every year, some of the canes that start off well, suddenly begin to die.  This year it has been worse and we have canes with fruit on that are dying as well.  They seem to start well enough and then the leaves go brown around the edges, before dying altogether.

After the raspberries, I tended the outdoor Ferline tomatoes, removing any side shoots and winding their respective ropes around the stems.  There were a couple of interruption owing to squally showers and I was forced to take shelter in, first, the greenhouse and, subsequently, the summerhouse.  But eventually, I did get round to a brief session in the Train Shed.  I found and filed all the window transparencies that I have and measured up the Scalescenes cottages to get an idea of the dimensions for the next Silhouette model that I am planning.

Tomorrow, I hope to have another operating session.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4268 on: June 07, 2020, 07:19:18 PM »
Today has been another dreary, wet day with not too much rain but spells of fine drizzle that amounted to very little, but kept everything wet.  We heard yesterday that one of our older U3A members had died and so we began today with a longish walk to deliver a card to his wife.  After that, we had coffee and then I thought about the Train Shed.  Unfortunately, I was interrupted by our membership secretary who wanted to make a change to the membership database, which is kept in an Excel workbook.  She was unable to get it to work.  I spent about an hour and a half on the phone talking her through it and, in the end, she managed to make the changes.  However, when she saved it, the workbook didnít save back to Dropbox and her laptop was giving her all sorts of problems.  In the end, we agreed that she will bring the laptop round to me and I will try to fix the problem for her.

By then it was dinnertime, so I didnít get down to the Train Shed until this afternoon.  There was an unusual scene at Marton Hinmarche today.  There were two branch trains in the station at the same time.  Normally, all branch trains use Platform 4, with the passenger trains stopping at the footbridge end and the goods trains stopping at the goods end.  Because it is only a single track line in both directions, this means it is normally impossible for two branch trains to share the platform.  However, today, the goods train had been diverted into the milk depot platform.

Nearest the camera is 6713 with the branch goods and over on Platform 4 is 9744 with a branch passenger.  Over at Platform 1 are some empty carriages. 

I am now starting to get to grips with designing some terraced cottages and I am having a few ideas about modifying my construction technique.  One of the key shortcomings of the last row of low-relief houses is the fact that when you look through the windows, you can see the plain white Plastikard of the back wall.  So I have been looking at some pictures that I can paste inside the windows to give the appearance of an interior.  I may also make the ceiling panel a little deeper than the building and paint the edges black to simulate gutters.  That would make guttering a lot simpler to install.  I hope to have more news on this issue tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4269 on: June 07, 2020, 07:29:45 PM »
Laurence have you seen this ? http://www.britishminiatures.co.uk/Bedrooms+PU1UTndBVE02a25jdmRXWjBGMlk  maybe mike at hillsden could be willing to join in.  I've made a ceiling a tad deeper reinforcing one of my own structures with slightly stronger card as well as working out an interior . Just a thought

Offline Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #4270 on: June 07, 2020, 09:00:43 PM »

I am now starting to get to grips with designing some terraced cottages and I am having a few ideas about modifying my construction technique.  One of the key shortcomings of the last row of low-relief houses is the fact that when you look through the windows, you can see the plain white Plastikard of the back wall.  So I have been looking at some pictures that I can paste inside the windows to give the appearance of an interior.  I may also make the ceiling panel a little deeper than the building and paint the edges black to simulate gutters.  That would make guttering a lot simpler to install.  I hope to have more news on this issue tomorrow.

Hi Laurence,

Do you build dividing walls between each individual property ie a three house terrace would have two dividing walls and two end walls and also intermediate floors. If not you will get too much light through the combined windows which will reflect on the white rear wall, you could possibly omit the floor.

Other options are to paint the rear wall Matt black, or mist the windows with mekpak or EMA plastic weld, this will obviously depend on the window material used.

If you are building a building with windows on two opposite sides it is imperative that you put dividing walls in, or you will be able to see right through the building.

Hope this gives you some ideas to mull over

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4271 on: June 08, 2020, 06:40:48 AM »
Laurence have you seen this ? http://www.britishminiatures.co.uk/Bedrooms+PU1UTndBVE02a25jdmRXWjBGMlk  maybe mike at hillsden could be willing to join in.  I've made a ceiling a tad deeper reinforcing one of my own structures with slightly stronger card as well as working out an interior . Just a thought
Thanks for the suggestion.  It looks interesting.

Thank you Mike for the tips.  I will see what I can do.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 06:41:59 AM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4272 on: June 08, 2020, 07:18:38 AM »
Morning laurence. I'm sure they are our dolls houses but could be adapted,  was just a thought

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4273 on: June 08, 2020, 08:32:00 AM »

[...]  I am now starting to get to grips with designing some terraced cottages and I am having a few ideas about modifying my construction technique.  One of the key shortcomings of the last row of low-relief houses is the fact that when you look through the windows, you can see the plain white Plastikard of the back wall.  [...] 

Laurence,   When I put walls and similar 'light blockers' inside buildings, I use black Plastikard.  I have to admit, except for shop windows, I don't bother with an interior.  In daylight, one can rarely see much of buildings' interiors as the windows tend to look black. It is the 'look through' effect that can normally destroy the illusion we are trying to create.

I think a coat of black paint, as Mike suggests, over your white Plastikard will do the trick.

Best wishes.

John
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 08:38:34 AM by Train Waiting »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4274 on: June 08, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »
I didnít manage to get down to the Train Shed at all today.  We began the morning with a visit Zoom U3A committee meeting.  After that, I had to create postage via Royal Mail click and drop for all the newsletters that we have to post.  By then, it was dinnertime.  After dinner, we went for our usual walk but, as we will have to, over the next few days, we delivered newsletters to members who are within walking distance.  In between times, I soldiered on with the terraced cottages that I am designing in Silhouette.  I have taken on board all the comments and I will probably create internal room walls to improve the appearance of the windows from the outside. 

Iím sorry that there are no pictures today, but I thought I would leave you with an old video that I made, entitled ďA Day at the StationĒ.

I have included it before, but it was some time ago.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25%