!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 289872 times)

cornish yorkie and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #4065 on: April 09, 2020, 07:23:23 PM »
Well what a difference a day makes.  I know many of you in the South and even further north will have had a glorious day.  But here it was back to Winter again.  The day started promisingly enough, with a nice clear sky at 06:00 when I opened the blind.  But, within half an hour, it had become uniformly grey and, after another half and hour, the cloud base had descended to envelope the tops of the bridge towers.  After a further half hour, the bridge disappeared completely in the mist.  Although the cloud base did lift later, the north-easterly has kept the temperature well down.  It did manage to creep up to 9.5C in the middle of the afternoon, when the Sun threatened to break through.  But that was it.

We had our morning walk reasonable early this morning and were back in good time for coffee.  Before we went, I got the hoses out and watered all the fruit because we didnít get round to it yesterday.  I thought I would do it early so that I wouldnít be watering on a hot day.  Little did I think!  In between times, I have been generating a mailing list, using the Royal Mail Click and Drop facility, to create address labels for all the U3A members with no Email who are too far away for hand delivery.  Eventually, I made it down to the Train Shed and worked the last operational session of the day, to clear the way for track cleaning.  Hereís the inevitable old video again.

In the afternoon, it was back to gardening again, but not until I had printed all the labels for the Click and Drop mail.  Then I assembled the new patio table that we had ordered to replace the old one which is falling to bits after only twenty-four years.  After that, I found my long-handled window cleaning brush that is also about the same age.  I originally bought it when we lived in Bletchley and I wanted to be able to clean the upstairs windows without having to operate from a ladder.  I used it to clean the greenhouse window and then the potting shed windows.  After that it was time for a cup of tea.

Finally, I made it down to the Train Shed again.  This time, I concentrated on the Post Office block.  I added the glazing and then hung the curtains, before adding the shop window displays.  I fixed the curtain layer to the back of the front wall and, finally, I added the shop signage.

Tomorrow, I may be able to make a start on the long-overdue track cleaning and, also, begin assembling the whole Post Office block.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4066 on: April 09, 2020, 08:36:35 PM »
Quality video Laurence. Sharp and steady. The layout is steadily moving forward each time I see it.

Can you zoom in for some closer views with your camera? I reckon some of the trains would look spectacular  thundering through the layout with some low level close ups.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4067 on: April 09, 2020, 09:11:50 PM »
Thanks Alec

I'm planning another video shoot soon, so I'll try to get some low level shots.  It does take quite a few days to get it all in the can because I have to film all the bits separately and then edit them together.  My limited experience of taking part in a TV documentary was that it takes about half a day to film a five-minute presentation.  It's not quite that bad with the layout, but you get the idea.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #4068 on: April 09, 2020, 09:19:16 PM »

My limited experience of taking part in a TV documentary was that it takes about half a day to film a five-minute presentation. 

Spot on I reckon! The 5 minute video I've just done on my layout thread took me about five hours all told I'd say. Twenty minutes of video trimmed to a quarter of that after all the rubbish is discarded! Then there is the added time to sort out the mess ups made in trying to edit the video!

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #4069 on: April 09, 2020, 09:31:13 PM »
My limited experience of taking part in a TV documentary was that it takes about half a day to film a five-minute presentation.
sounds abut right,several hours in the studio for 3 minutes of air time,but at least with national broadcasters the catering and hospitality is rather good

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4070 on: April 10, 2020, 08:39:52 AM »
sounds abut right,several hours in the studio for 3 minutes of air time,but at least with national broadcasters the catering and hospitality is rather good
Unfortunately, in my case, the filming was done at Culham, where I worked at the time, so I had to provide the refreshments for the film crew!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4071 on: April 10, 2020, 07:56:16 PM »
We certainly crowded a lot in today.  We began with a very nice downstream walk along the river and then back through Hessle.  That was followed by coffee and then we got out the table tennis table for an hourís table tennis.  The carpet that I had laid outside the compost bins, although it doesnít look too good, certainly worked well for moving the table tennis table.  I then managed a short session in the Train Shed, where I began assembling the Post Office block.  Dinner time arrived before I had completed the assembly.

In the afternoon, I decided to apply the preservative treatment to the greenhouse and our sheds.  They were erected when we moved in, six years ago.  The greenhouse is cedar and the two sheds are tanalised softwood.  The main recipient of the treatment was the greenhouse because it was far and away the most expensive.  The treatment I use for all our outside wood is half and half boiled linseed oil and white spirit.  If you use neat linseed oil, it congeals, so the white spirit thins it to the required consistency for brushing.  I almost finished the greenhouse, although I also applied some to the potting shed and a little to the storage shed using a small roller to reach the difficult-to-reach parts.  In the end, I decided that the storage shed didnít need any further treatment because it is out of the sun.  So, tomorrow, I hope to be able to finish the greenhouse and the potting shed.
After that, we had a cup of tea followed two more games of table tennis.  Then, after I had replenished Celiaís compost tray in the potting shed, I made off for the Train Shed again.  I managed to complete the construction and add the ceiling layer, ready for the chimney stacks and the roof.

Tomorrow, I should be able to finish the Post Office block and start track cleaning, ready for another video shooting round.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4072 on: April 11, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »
Today began with rather cloudy skies, contrary to the weather forecast.  However, by the time we set off for the butchers, the Sun had come out.  We had to delay our start today because the butcher has restricted the opening hours from 09:00 to 16:00.  But, by the time we arrived, the queue was enormous.  There were more that twenty in the line which, with the 2m separation, stretched right through the square.  It took three quarters of an hour to reach the front to collect our order.  Unfortunately, the butchers was closed yesterday, otherwise we would have placed our order for Friday. 

We returned home for a somewhat later than usual coffee and then I retired to the Train Shed to complete the Post Office block.  I made the chimney stacks and added the cover layers before fixing them to the back of the model.  I had previously marked the positions of the chimney stacks from the cut-outs in the roof.  Then I adjusted the cut-outs before adding the slates and fixing the roof on.  After that, I added the barge board before making the chimney capping stones and fitting the chimneypots.  Here it is roughly in its final position, next to the Dinsdale Arms.

We noticed the first Wisteria flowers yesterday and they are now starting to look quite good.

In the afternoon, I continued painting the wooden buildings with linseed oil and white spirit.  After a cup of tea, it was back to the Train Shed for some track cleaning.  First, I cleaned the Oakwood board.  To do that I had to remove Oakwood Tunnel.  Here it is in place.

And hereís the same view with the tunnel removed.

Then I cleaned all the tracks through the station before moving on to the Gatsby Tunnel board.  Here is Gatsby Tunnel in place.

And hereíd the same view with the tunnel removed.

After cleaning each section of track, I carefully applied some graphite to the branch line track, although not through the station because several non-branch line trains use the branch tracks through the station during the cleaning cycle.  Tomorrow, there will be more track cleaning.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4073 on: April 12, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
DISASTER!

The day started well enough.  We had a nice walk through the country park and back along the river.  Then it was coffee outside the conservatory, sitting in the sun.  After that, we had an hourís table tennis on the lawn (sorry, grass patch).  Before dinner, I thought I would have a session in the Train Shed and move all the trains out of the UP loops ready for cleaning.  Thatís when disaster struck.

I switched on the controller and it registered a short circuit.  I had cleaned all the open tracks yesterday, so I first inspected them to see if there was a problem, but all seemed in order.  Then I checked all the locos to make sure there were no derailments and, again, all was well.  So I started disconnecting track droppers and bus connectors, but to no avail.  To be on the safe side, I removed every loco from the track and checked that all the rolling stock would roll freely, to make sure there were no derailments there.  I continued disconnecting droppers and eventually isolated the whole of one side of the branch line, but was still no nearer a solution. 

In the end, I put all the locos back and coupled them up to their trains again.  Then I reconnected all the droppers because they were obviously not part of the problem.  It is all very strange.  Itís possible that the problem is a Cobalt, so I will need to isolate them one at a time, to check.  When I designed the layout I said to myself ďThis new-fangled DCC is really goodĒ and didnít bother with isolating sections.  To be fair, when everything is working, they are not required.  But at times like this, it would be really useful.  It is difficult to isolate anything because all the tracks are connected through and each section is connected to the DCC bus via a pair of droppers to ensure good running.  So disconnecting droppers and even separating the bus connecters doesnít achieve isolation without a lot of multiple disconnections.

Eventually, I will build a new version of the layout and, next time, I will make sure I install built-in isolation and separate power busses.  But for now, I am stuck with what I have got.  So there will probably be no pictures for a few days (or even weeks).  Once track cleaning is finished, I plan to start recording a new sequence of operational videos.  But, as things stand at the moment, that may be some way off.  Perhaps I will be able to take a few general pictures and post them to keep up the thread.

So tomorrow, if I get time, I will start disconnecting the Cobalts one by one.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4074 on: April 12, 2020, 06:09:02 PM »
Hope the electronics wizards can help. Stay positive happy easter laurence to you and your family. Chris

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #4075 on: April 12, 2020, 06:33:16 PM »
If you have a sensitive enough Digital Multi meter you might be able to trace the short given your wires will have some resistance and as you approach the problem area the meter will show a lower resistance. 

NB you need very sharp spike probes to dig into the wires so they don't give you additional resistance.

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4076 on: April 12, 2020, 06:36:03 PM »
One other thought.  If you juice your frogs from the Cobalt you may have moved a point so the power on the point disagrees with the juicer.

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #4077 on: April 12, 2020, 06:50:49 PM »
Attach a nice high current power supply,an arc welders good.and look for the blue flash/smoke/flames, much quicker (and more fun) than messing with  multimeters.

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4078 on: April 12, 2020, 07:10:53 PM »
Attach a nice high current power supply,an arc welders good.and look for the blue flash/smoke/flames, much quicker (and more fun) than messing with  multimeters.

I had thought of advising this, but you have to be quick with the off switch  :D

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4079 on: April 12, 2020, 07:37:30 PM »
p.s.  I am the electronics wizzard  :(
With kind regards
Laurence