!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 289944 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #4050 on: March 30, 2020, 07:09:50 PM »
Today, we waited with baited breath for the table tennis table to arrive.  While we were waiting, I checked the design of the Post Office building and then began work on the design of the first row of houses.  Eventually it arrived and I had time to unpack it and fit the wheels before coffee.  After coffee, we managed to manoeuvre it around the house and down to the Train Shed, where it fits quite snugly into the gab between the Train shed and the compost bins. 

Then it was time for our daily walk.  The local weather forecast had promised that it would be dry in the morning followed by rain in the afternoon.  However, it was initially wet, with a little drizzle.  But the main problem was a biting North wind.  By the time we went out, there were one or two sunny intervals and, after dinner we had some longer sunny periods.  By that time, the weather forecast had changed from rain to sunshine, but with more rain this evening.

In the afternoon, I shovelled another barrow load of compost for Celia and then made for the Train Shed.  I began with the operating session I had promised myself and everything ran perfectly, apart from the fact that I mis-set the route for 6417, resulting in a short circuit when it negotiated the exit points from the UP loops.  This was a bit catastrophic because, although everything ran fine for a while, after a few train movements, the Gaugemaster controller suddenly lost control of everything and I had to switch off the power and restart it again before I could regain proper control of the trains.  However, neglecting that fact, this is what you would have seen, had you been there.  I really must get round to making some new videos soon.

Then I soldiered on with the Dinsdale Arms.  I added the ceiling and assembled the chimney stacks before fitting their cover layers.  However, when I came to add the two outside chimney stacks to the model, they were too long.  Iím not sure how that happened.  I tried to cut them down with a scalpel, but that threatened to completely demolish them, so I resorted to my razor saw, which did the job quite nicely.  I had a bit of fiddling to enlarge the roof apertures to the correct size so that the chimney stacks would fit through them and some more fiddling to fix the central chimney stacks in the correct position.  But eventually, I was able to fit the cover layer to the roof and fix it in position.

I still have to fit the ridge tiles, barge boards and chimneypots, but it is getting quite near completion now.  While I was in the Train shed, I set off the Silhouette cutting the Post Office building and, by the time I stopped work for a cup of tea, it was complete.  So I should be able to start cutting out and assembling that one next.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4051 on: March 31, 2020, 07:55:57 PM »
Well, what a busy day itís been today.  First thing, I had a text to say that my bird food delivery would arrive around 09:00.  So we waited in before going for a nice walk along the river, downstream because the footpath is closed upstream.  Then, after coffee, we set out for Lidlís because they have the only supplies of good, multifruit juice that we can get around here.  When we returned, we did our individual Pilates routines before dinner.  In the afternoon, we got out the table tennis table and played six games on the back lawn. 

We played to the old-fashioned rules, changing serve every five points with the winner the first to reach twenty-one with two points clear.  These days, for competitions, itís change serve every two point with the winner the first to reach eleven with two clear points.  We had some fun stetting up the table because there is a slope on the lawn (sorry, grass) and the surface isnít too even.  But the use of some short pieces of 150mm X 25mm timber enabled us to set up the table.  There was still a slope from side to side, but it enabled us to have six games.  There was an occasion, when the wind got up, where I threw up the ball and the wind took it but, otherwise, we had a good session.  I intended to take a picture of the table on the lawn, but I forgot until we were packing it away again.

When we got the table out and, when we put it away again, we realised that we (meaning I) would have to do something about the path between the compost bins and the raised beds. 

When I made the path, we thought it would be nice to make it with different sized slabs and gravel, which works well for the wheelbarrow.  However, for the table tennis table, it is a real problem because the smaller wheels lock up on the gravel.  So I will need to order some more slabs and re-engineer the path.  After a cup of tea, I made it down to the Train Shed again.

First, I gave the barge boards a coat of acrylic primer, before setting about completing the Dinsdale Arms.  I added the coping slates and then made the chimney capping stones, before adding the chimneypots.  Hereís the finished product, minus the barge boards, in roughly the correct position on the layout.

My final act was to paint the barge boards green to match the paintwork on the window frames of the hotel.  I will add them to the model tomorrow before starting on the Post Office block.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4052 on: April 01, 2020, 07:06:41 PM »
Today began with our weekly trip to J Sainsbury.  Last week we went twice, on Monday and Friday, so this week we tried Wednesday to see if that was any different.  The have reserved the first hour on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for the over seventies and we thought Wednesday might be a bit quieter, but we still had to stand in quite a long que for about fifteen minutes.  It was also more problematical at the checkouts because, unlike Friday, there were quite long queues there too.  Once again there was no bread mix, neither was there any yeast to make our bread from scratch.  Once we returned home, I started on the monthly jobs before it was time for coffee.  Then it was off to the butchers to give him our order for the weekend, doubling that with our dayís walk.

When we returned, I added the barge boards to the Dinsdale Arms before a running session.  Once again, I am showing an old video of the operations.  I promise that Iíll make some new videos once I get a bit further on with the scratch-building.

When I next clean the tracks, I will have to give the two prairies a bit of a squirt with contact cleaner because sometimes, particularly when starting up, they judder along sounding a bit like a machine gun.  When I first heard this, I thought they were derailed, but not so.  80119 has also displayed this behaviour in the past.  After the operating session, I began to make a rack to hold the gutters and drainpipes for painting.

In the afternoon, there was a certain amount of gardening that needed doing before another trip to the Train Shed.  This time, I finished the rack by drilling 1mm holes in a piece of nine-ply.  Then I cut all gutters to length together with the piece of 1mm drainpipe rod that I had already primed.  Once they were all installed in the rack, I brush-painted them with thick acrylic black paint.

The idea is that, once they dry, I will paint the other ends ready for adding to the models.  I also have a piece of 0.64mm rod, but I think it looks a bit too thin.  I need to prime the rest of the drainpipes.  I will do that by spraying a little grey primer onto a pallet and then brushing it onto the rods.  Spraying such tiny rods straight from the can causes an awful lot of waste paint.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4053 on: April 02, 2020, 07:32:48 PM »
This morning, we went for a slightly longer walk than usual (if you can call these times usual), including calling at a post box to post a Click and Drop letter.  I used to have Royal Mail postage online, which worked very well, but that stopped some years ago.  The reason for using Click and Drop was that Celia was trying to send a large letter with some magazines to a very close friend of ours who is being treated for leukaemia.  But when we called at the Post Office yesterday, there was a long queue outside, which didnít seem to be moving.  So I went online and used Click and Drop.  I have to say that itís far inferior to the old service.  The most depressing fact is that, using quarter-A4 labels, I used to be able to select which label to print, thus enabling me to use every label on each sheet.  But now, it only prints in the top left had corner and, worse still, prints on the diagonally opposite label, rendering the rest of the sheet useless for posting.  However, whatís done is done.

Once we returned home, we had coffee and then I received the draft newsletter from the U3A Newsletter Editor.  I had been supplying him for days with articles that members were sending in.  It took me quite a time to unify the formatting and get it ready for publishing as a PDF file that all the members would be able to read.  The rest of the morning and some of the afternoon was taken up by modifications to the membership database, which takes the form of an Excel workbook.  The problem was the members who are not on Email.  In the past, we have Emailed the newsletter to all those with Email and printed off some additional copies to be taken to general meetings for member to pick up.  There were two problems with that: firstly, not everyone with no Email attended the general meetings:  secondly, some members with Email took away the printed copies rather then bother to access the Email copy.  But now there will be no general meetings for a few months, so another methodology was required.

I set about creating a new worksheet detailing all the members with no Email address.  This involved quite a bit of manipulation and creating of Excel formulae.  However, in the end. I managed to achieve the stated objective.  But then, there was worse to follow.  I needed to telephone one of the members with Email, whose Email address was faulty.  But, at this point, I found that the telephone number worksheet didnít work.  In the end, I tracked it down to an Ďimprovementí I had made to the master worksheet and so, eventually, all was well. 

After all that effort, I retreated into gardening mode and, there being insufficient time left to begin shredding, I did some major pruning, involving my pruning saw and the loppers.  After a cup of tea. I once again managed a somewhat short visit to the Train Shed.

I began by inverting all the gutters and drainpipes I had painted yesterday, so that I could paint the other ends of them.  However, thatís when the first problem occurred.  The 1mm holes I had drilled yesterday were too small for the painted ends of most of the gutters and drainpipes.  So out came the Dremel and I opened them up to 1.2mm.  That did the trick.  I was also concerned to find a better way of applying the paint.  Yesterday, I had used a largish paintbrush and picked up the pain directly from my large tub of acrylic black paint.  But it was a very unwieldy process.  Today, I remembered that I had bought a small pallet about three years ago, which I had never used.  I used a pipette to suck up some paint from the tub and deposited it in the palette.  The I used a tiny brush to apply the paint.  I also cut some 0.64mm pre-primed sections to try out as drainpipes as well.  I think they will probably be to small a diameter in the end.  I also cut some more unprimed, 1mm sections to se if the thick acrylic paint would adhere to them.  The answer was that it would, which will save a process in future.  Hereís the result, including the palette and brush.

As you can see, I must have pipetted about a hundred times more paint than I needed for the operation.  But I will know next time to excavate much less from the paint pot.  Tomorrow, I hope to be able to start fixing the gutters and drainpipes.  Progress today was extremely disappointing, but tomorrow is another day.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4054 on: April 03, 2020, 07:31:07 PM »
Today, being Friday, I set about all my weekly chores.  By coffee time, I had finished all of them, apart from replenishing the bird feeders, which donít need refilling until tomorrow or even Sunday.  After that, I set about my planning work.  Because the council meetings have all been cancelled, planning has become a bit of a problem.  There is no legislation to allow additional time for planning applications.  All applicants must receive a reply within six weeks.  So we are doing it online.  The clerk has sent all the planning applications to the planning committee by Email and we are trying to get back with our comments by the time that the next planning committee was due to meet.

After that, I managed a session in the Train Shed.  I began with a running session.  Hereís Forthampton Grange with the 1.09 pm train from Hereford (Barrs Court) to London (Paddington), waiting for the Right Away from Platform 3.

Then I started work adding the gutters and downpipes to the shops.  Hereís the first row of shops with the gutters and downpipes added.

In the afternoon, we walked into Hessle, primarily to pick up Celiaís prescription.  However, we had ordered our butcherís supplies for Friday afternoon and picked those up at the same time.  We were a bit peeved because, when we passed the butcherís initially, there was no queue, but we thought we would pick up the prescription first and then return to the butcherís on the way back.  However, when we arrived back at the butcherís there was quite a long queue.  There was nothing for it but to wait.  By the time we arrived home again we needed to put on the kettle and have a cup of tea.  Then, I managed another session in the Train Shed.

This time, I added more gutters and downpipes.  I added the gutters to the bank and the pub, but I donít yet have any long downpipes for the three-storey buildings.  So I carried on with the next two rows of shops.  By the time I had finished, I had completed the first three rows of shops.

Tomorrow, I will need to carry on with painting more downpipes to complete all the current buildings.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4055 on: April 03, 2020, 07:34:47 PM »
Be good if those lit buildings Laurence could be shown in a night scene / darkened room. Chris

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4056 on: April 04, 2020, 06:33:07 AM »
Be good if those lit buildings Laurence could be shown in a night scene / darkened room. Chris
I decided, right at the beginning, that all my trains would be running on Midsummer's Day (every day all the year round!), so it is light well before the first trains run and it doesn't get dark until after the last train.  It's pure laziness on my part, but I didn't want to have to go to the trouble of additional electrics.  Also, it reminds me of those endless summer days of trainspotting in my youth.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4057 on: April 04, 2020, 07:01:19 AM »
For sure just a thought. Superb modelling my friend  impressively good enough for publication

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #4058 on: April 04, 2020, 07:17:06 AM »
Just catching up with this. I love that long fish train in Episode 3! From what I read on the forum, those 9Fs are supposedly not the best when it comes to heavy hauling, but yours seems to be doing alright!  :thumbsup:

If I ever get my layout restored and finished (ha  ;D), I intend to run a similar fish train behind an A4. Apparently that was common overnight practice at one time.

That little freight train behind the pannier in the open shots - I recognise most of the wagons, but not the two blue ones. What are they, please?

Your layout is coming along brilliantly.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4059 on: April 04, 2020, 08:01:03 AM »
That little freight train behind the pannier in the open shots - I recognise most of the wagons, but not the two blue ones. What are they, please?
They are both exports from the North Cornwall layouts: Port Perran/Trepol Bay and Cant Cove (and Penmayne).  The van is in the Headland Brewery livery and the other is a 15ft. Extra-Long Wheelbase goods wagon designed by George Enderby, the shy engineering genius who came up with the original design concept.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4060 on: April 04, 2020, 08:14:02 PM »
Today we began with a slightly longer walk than normal because we have to deliver the U3A newsletters to those without Email.  Most of our members do have Email, but there is a rump that donít.  Some live too far away and will have to be posted, but we deliver by hand to those within walking distance.  In these strange times, the newsletter is one of the few ways that members can keep in touch with U3A.  We returned for a fairly late coffee and then I set everything up for shredding in the afternoon.

Needless to say, I spent quite a chunk of the afternoon shredding all the prunings that had been generated over the last few days.  Then, after a cup of tea, I eventually made it down to the Train Shed.

I began by cutting to length all the remaining drainpipes.  Then I painted them (all but the ends where I needed to hold them with a pair of tweezers) and finished painting the ends of all the ones I painted yesterday.  While the paint was drying, I added the gutters to the last row of shops and the Dinsdale Arms.  When I judged that the paint was sufficiently dry, I added the drainpipes to the bank.

Finally I painted the reverse ends of the remaining drainpipes.  When I had finished, there wasnít time for a running session, but poor 6713 had been standing at the goods end of Platform 3 all this time and so I thought a picture might be the thing to do, with the rows of shops in the background.

Tomorrow, I hope to have a running session and also finish adding the drainpipes to the remaining buildings.  Then I will be able to start cutting out the sections for the Post Office block of shops.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4061 on: April 05, 2020, 07:48:47 PM »
Today, for our walk, we continued to deliver newsletters to those members that donít have Email.  Then, when we returned home, we had coffee.  After that it was more gardening.  I cleared up several pieces of branches that were laying around and then set about the compost system.  Yesterday, I had cleared out Compost Bin 4 for Celia to sieve, so now was the time to move the contents of Bin 3 into Bin 4.  However, when I took the lid off (we have a lid on Bin 4 to prevent the final compost from becoming too soggy), I managed to scrape another three bucketfuls from the bottom of the bin.  Then I took the carpet off Bin 3. 

We have a lot of carpet on the compost bins and so I hit on an idea to overcome the problems with the table tennis tale wheels on the gravel.  I had tried to order some slabs, but they wanted more for the delivery than the cost of the slabs, so I cancelled the order.  I first tried a roll of roofing felt rolled out over the pathway, but it is too thin to prevent problems over the gaps between the slabs.  But laying carpet seems to be a good temporary solution until slabs are available again locally.  There is the possibility of a trip hazard where the strips of carpet overlap, but if we are careful, we should be able to manage.

I forked and shovelled the contents of Bin 3 into Bin 4 before dinner and then, in the afternoon, I transferred the contents of Bin 2 into Bin 3.  Once that was done, I decided that I had done enough physical work for today and repaired to the Train Shed.  I began by adding the downpipes to the remaining three-storey buildings.

Then I added the drainpipes to the Dinsdale Arms.

After that, I rewarded myself with a running session.  Everything ran absolutely perfectly, apart from a bit of reluctance from 6713 in the Shipton run-around.  However, a quick application of graphite to the rails soon sorted that out.  Hereís the old video of the session.

I have decided that, when the current project of buildings is complete, I am going to dedicate a spell to making a new set of videos to show the latest scenic developments in a running session.  I completed my activities in the Train Shed by cutting all the openings in the Post Office block and started to remove the off-cuts before it was time for a cup of tea. 

After my cup of tea, I turned on the water and got the hose out to water the potatoes, raspberries and strawberries.  We are determined that last yearís early drought effects wonít be repeated this year.  After that, Celia watered the rest of the fruit trees and bushes.  Tomorrow, I will press on with the Post Office block.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4062 on: April 06, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »
Today, we had another early walk to deliver some more U3A newsletters.  It was quite a long walk today and we returned home for coffee before setting off for Messrs (Herrs) Lidl, where we bought some of the things we canít get at J Sainsbury, whom we intend to visit in the morning.  After dinner, it was gardening time again.  I began by clearing out a lot of the excess weed that was floating on the top of the pond.  I wanted to get this out of the way before the tadpoles start swimming around.  At the moment, they are all congregated at the edges of the frogspawn, feeding off it.  Once they have finished that, they will be off to feed on the various plants in the pond. They donít become carnivorous until they start to grow legs.

After the pond, I turned my attention to the greenhouse.  I began by carrying out all the heavy pots that were too heavy for Celia to lift off the ground.  Once that was clear, I started to remove all the bubble wrap from the inside of the glass.  There were twenty five pieces in all and they all had to be folded and stored in the storage shed until next winter.  Once that was complete, it was time for a cup of tea.  Then, after a cup of tea in the summerhouse, it was back to the Train Shed.

I finished popping out all the openings for the doors and windows and even did the same for the two shop doors.  The Post Office door will not have a window in it.  Once that was done, I removed the sections from the sheet of Plastikard and added the cover layer to the outer shell.  Unfortunately, I had two or three mis-alignments of the cover layer and, in the end, even after carefully laying the Plastikard down the correct way, I managed to add the cover layer to the wrong side.  Now it isnít all that critical, but it means that the Post Office will abut the Dinsdale arms instead of the shops.  I then began cutting out the window and door openings before it was teatime (high tea as opposed to a cup of tea).

Tomorrow, I will continue with the Post Office bock, but I am already planning the filming of the next instalments of the running videos.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4063 on: April 07, 2020, 08:10:36 PM »
Before we went for our walk today, we visited J Sainsbury and we were pleasantly surprised.  They have reserved the first hour on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for old fogies like us.  We have visited them at 08:00 on all three days, only to find a queue of old fogies all round the car park or all around the store.  However, today wasnít an old fogies day and, surprise, surprise, there was no-one waiting outside the store at all.  We were allowed to simply walk straight in.  However, there was still a dearth of the sort of items we have been trying to buy for weeks.  There was no sweetcorn, no tomatoes for pasta and certainly no bread mix, in fact, no flour at all, nor yeast.  Given that we have been making our own bread for more years than I care to remember, this is really annoying.

However, there is some good news.  Last week, I bought a bottle of wheat beer that comes from a small brewery near Bungay in Suffolk.  Itís one of the crop of small breweries that emerged in the 1990s.  I bought it because, in my home brewing days, one good way to generate a supply of yeast was to buy a bottle of beer and drink it, but leaving some in the bottom of the bottle.  If you added sugar, the yeast in the residue would start to catabolise the sugar, gradually producing a nice supply of yeast.  Well, I drank the beer yesterday for my aperitif and then added some sugar.  It has started to work and I have added more sugar.  Looking down the neck of the bottle, I can see small pieces of yeast, fizzing away on the surface.  Perhaps Iíll start brewing again.  I still have some malt extract, but I donít have any hops.

After our trip to the supermarket, we went for our morning walk and delivered some more newsletters.  Then it was time for coffee.  After coffee, I changed into gardening garb and planted my carrots.  In the afternoon, I decided to mow the grass.  This time, I brought out the strimmer and went all around the edges before getting the lawnmower out.  After mowing the lawn and doing some more heavy lifting for Celia, we had a cup of tea.  Then I took myself down to the Train Shed once again.

I didnít have a lot of time there today, because I needed to get back to the kitchen.  On Tuesdays, I chop up potatoes and cook chips to go with cold meat from the weekend.  However, I did manage to complete cutting out all the openings in the cover layer and then attached the window frame layer to the back of the outer layer.

The Post Office is on the left with the three, smaller, higher level windows than the two larger ones for the shops on the right.  Tomorrow, I hope to be able to make further progress on the Post Office block, in addition to having another operating session.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4064 on: April 08, 2020, 07:54:06 PM »
Today, we had another longer walk to deliver the final U3A newsletters.  On our way back, we called at the butchers to give in our order for Saturday.  However, we had carefully left the list on the kitchen worktop and so had to tell him verbally so that he could write it in his book.  There was quite a long queue outside the butchers and so, by the time we arrived home, it was getting quite late for coffee, although that didnít stop us from having a cup.  After that, there was just time for a brief visit to the Train Shed, where I ran some trains.  It is a real joy when everything runs absolutely smoothly.  Hereís a version of what you would have seen, had you been there.

In the afternoon, I began to erect the 10ft canes that I had ordered, to get the bean bed ready for planting.  However, I had to curtail my activities in the garden because we were trying to use Zoom for our committee meeting which, normally, would have taken place on Monday.  After considerable playing around with the thing, we managed to get everything in order so that, next Monday, we can have a proper remote committee meeting.  There was a problem with Celiaís computer because her image was blank the whole time, although her audio was OK.  In the end, it turned out that there is a blanking plate the slides across the camera lens, so it will be OK in future.  After that I finished the bean poles.

Then, after a cup of tea, I found time for another short session in the Train Shed.  I was able to cut out the windows in the doors and break the doors out, before fitting their respective cover layers.  Then I fixed them to the back of the window frames layer.

The red door is that of the Post Office, while the green door (whatís that secret youíre keeping?) is the Maypole and the blue door the fish, poultry and game dealer.  Tomorrow will be another hectic day, but I hope to make more progress in the Train Shed.  Retirement seems to be one never-ending stream of work.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158%