!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 289207 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3990 on: March 04, 2020, 06:23:32 AM »
Every area has its local stone. Is that the stonethat we could find on marton Laurence?
Yes indeed.  It's the transition between Cotswold limestone and Northamptonshire ironstone.  Or something like that, anyway.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3991 on: March 04, 2020, 04:51:38 PM »
Today was another gym day and I managed a session in the Train Shed before we set off.  I cut out and hung all the curtains for the upstairs windows.  Unfortunately, as you can see, there was a misalignment with the curtain section for the third window in on each side.

It turned out that the third window in from the left was slightly misaligned on all the sections.  They were all in line with each other, so it should have been OK.  However, it turned out that I had glued the curtains to the reverse side of the section which wouldnít have mattered had both ends been identical but, as the two ends were slightly different, it led to the misalignment.

In the afternoon, I had another session in the Train Shed and decided to remove all the curtains from the wrong side and start again on the correct side.   Fortunately, they all came off easily and I was able to reattach the same curtains to the correct side of the section.  After that, I attached the inserts for the shop windows and assembled the front wall completely.

Then it was a case of assembling the whole row of shops.  I didnít have too much trouble, using Mek-Pak, to attach the base, spacers and back.  However, the sides were more problematic because the Mek-Pak would not adhere to the wrapped round cover layer along the vertical edges of the ends.  I tried using Speedbond, but that wouldnít make a strong enough bonding with the edges of the Plastikard.  Then I thought of using Roket Card Glue, which worked a treat.  Eventually I was able to fit the ceiling, ready to add the chimney stacks tomorrow. 

After the chimney stacks have been added, I will be able to put the roof on and then add the chimney pots.  I have another Council meeting tonight, which necessitated finished the Train Session early.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3992 on: March 04, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »
Laurence.
I rather like the fact that the curtains arenít too regular. I think it looks more ďlived inĒ.
I usually try to have at least one pair completely closed. Maybe someone who works nights having a sleep.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3993 on: March 05, 2020, 06:26:41 PM »
Yesterday, while I was in the Train Shed, I set the Silhouette off cutting the three-storey houses.  It turned out to be a bit of a disaster.  By the time it had finished, the blade was not cutting, so I had to change the blade.  Thatís two blades I have gone through already.  So I removed the blade and inserted a new one.  I didnít feel too aggrieved because I had intended to repeat the cut anyway.  However, about halfway through, I noticed that the second cut was offset sideways by a two or three millimetres, which completely wrecked the sheet of Plastikard.  So I had to switch the Silhouette off and on again to remove the sheet.  I inserted a new sheet and, when the Bluetooth had reconnected, I began another cut, this time set to 10 cuts.  I saved the job and reopened it to make sure that it had remembered the 10 cuts, which it had.  I am disappointed about the life of the cutting blade because they are not cheap.  However, I bought two last time, so I still have another one in hand.  When the current one gives up the ghost, I will have to buy some more.

Today, we hosted the U3A Opera group, so I had quite a bit of time this morning.  However, I did some of my monthly jobs that were still outstanding and then worked away on a paper that I had written about nine years ago on Coventry Corporation bus routes.  The reason for working on the paper is that I have had an enquiry about the old Pool Meadow bus station from someone carrying out research into the history of Pool Meadow.  However, eventually, I did manage to get down to the Train Shed before coffee.  I continued working on the second row of shops and, by coffee time, I had added the shop signage, made the chimneys and added them to the back wall.  I had to use the roof to mark the positions of the chimneys, because they needed to be added before the roof was put on.  Then I added slates to the roof and attached it to the back wall.  When the picture was taken the roof still had to be fixed to the side and front walls, but the model was beginning to look more like the finished article.

After coffee I fixed the roof properly, using a bit of card to wipe a little Roket Card Glue into the join, then added the ridge tiles to the top.  After that I managed to cut the chimney caps from the 2mm Plastikard, this time by snapping them off after cutting part of the way through with a blade.  I thought I might use my Dremel to smooth the edges, but it was too fierce, so I reverted to a strip of carborundum paper.  By then it was dinner time, so I have yet to drill the capping stones and fit the chimneypots.

Good news arrived in the post, while I was in the opera group.  The scalpel blades that I had ordered arrived.  The scalpel handles that I also ordered arrived yesterday, so I will really be in business tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3994 on: March 06, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
Friday is weekly chores day and I also had some monthly jobs still outstanding, so that kept me busy until coffee time.  Then I had a session in the Train Shed.  First I drilled the chimney capping stones and fitted the chimneypots.  When they were attached to the row of shops, I located it next to the first row of shops to demonstrate the effect.

They need bedding down of course and, when all the shops are finished, there will be three tree-storey buildings between each of the four rows of shops.  One will be a bank, the second a surveyorís and a third one will be a pub.  These are the signage and windows.

Unlike the shops, there are no window displays, but the windows are opaque with etched writing across the panes.  In the afternoon I had to make a brief appearance at the U3A general meeting and then, when I returned home, I shovelled a load of mature compost into the wheelbarrow for Celia to sieve ready for use on the garden.  Once that was done, I managed another session in the Train Shed.  I began work on the first three-storey building and, armed with my new scalpels, I quickly cut out the openings.

I ordered three scalpel handles, one for Celia for her craft work and two for me.  I have used my Dyno machine to label one ĎPLASTICí and I am using the other for paper, principally cover layers and shop signage plus shop windows.  I have kept the functions separate because the one used for plastic, while still cutting Plastikard satisfactorily, may become too blunt for paper, resulting in tearing.

I quickly added the cover layer to the outside section of the front wall and cut out the window and door openings.  Then I adhered the window frame section to the back of it.  The door was made and added, followed by the glazing layer.

I am now ready to add the curtains, after which I will begin to assemble the building.  It seems to have proceeded quite quickly this time.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3995 on: March 07, 2020, 05:49:36 PM »
Today was a usual Saturday.  We walked into Hessle to the butchers and then home again for coffee.  Unfortunately, after coffee, I had a lot of work to do associated with U3A.  The main time-consuming task was trawling through the membership spreadsheet to identify any new Email address that were not in my Outlook contact group.  By dinner time I had identified them all, but there were still one or two things to clear up, so I didnít get down to the Train Shed until later. 

I continued with progress on Barclays Bank, first fixing the cover layers to the gable end walls.  Then I added the signage and cut out and hung all the curtains for the upper floors.  Next, I added the obscured windows to the bank chamber and then cemented the curtain layer to the rear of the front wall.  After that, I began to assemble the whole model.  I successfully fixed the front wall to the base, added the rear wall spacer and the rear wall.  However, when I came to add the gable ends, there was a rather embarrassing problem.

I had cut the gable ends for a two-storey building instead of a three-storey building.  I didnít actually attach them but just leaned them against the ends for the purpose of the picture.  By then, I decided that it was time for a cup of tea.

While I was drinking my tea, I produced the drawing for the correct size of gable ends and set the Silhouette off cutting them.  So, after my cup of tea, I went back down to the Train Shed and fitted the cover layers to a pair of the new gable ends.  Then I attached them to the building.

I have found, by trial and error, that the best way to fit them, with their wrapped round cover layers, is with Roket Card Glue.  I am also going off the idea of using Mek-Pak for attaching the curtain layer because, as you can see from the picture, it tends to discolour the curtains and window displays.  So I think that, in future, I will either revert to Liquid Poly or try Roket Card Glue.  I didnít fit the ceiling because the glue holding the gable ends needed to cure a bit more and I also have a slight problem, in that I didnít make the rear wall spacer tall enough, so it doesnít support the ceiling.  However, I think I can cope with the latter with a bit of jiggery-pokery.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #3996 on: March 07, 2020, 07:38:19 PM »
Those buildings are looking really good Laurence, looks like buying the cutter was well worth it.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3997 on: March 08, 2020, 06:31:44 AM »
Those buildings are looking really good Laurence, looks like buying the cutter was well worth it.
It will be even better when I get al the errors out of the cutting designs!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3998 on: March 08, 2020, 10:53:29 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   Really cracking on with the town now Laurence, excellent modelling  :thumbsup:
       regards Derek

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3999 on: March 08, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
Sunday is our day for an after-breakfast walk.  We walked around the country park and then down to the river (sorry, estuary) before returning home again for coffee.  We still have to keep to the high path around the perimeter of the country park because the bottom is still badly flooded and many of the paths are under water.  The floods have subsided a little since the Autumn deluge, but they havenít receded any further for two or three months.

After coffee, I did a little more work on the Silhouette designs. I have created a new one for the three-storey buildings and I also started a correction file to allow me to continue with the three buildings that I have already cut out.  Then I had an excursion to the Train Shed and made an infill piece to support the ceiling of the bank building.  Once the ceiling was fitted, I assembled the two chimney stacks and fitted a cover layer to each.  Then I attached them to the building.  However, when I checked the existing roof, I found that, as I had suspected, it wasnít wide enough to create the eaves.  Hereís the bank without its roof.

Before dinner, I finished the correction file, including new roofs for the models.  In the afternoon, I managed to fit in another visit to the Train Shed and completed the bank building, adding the roof and making the chimney capping stones from 2mm black Plastikard.  While I was cleaning up the edges of one of them, it flew off, never to be seen again, so I had to make another.  I have now leaned that I need to hold them with a pair of long nosed pliers when cleaning them up, rather than a pair of tweezers, which is a less reliable way of keeping hold of them. 

The same fate befell one of the chimneypots when I removed it from the sprue.  So far, I have lost four in this manner.  I was holding the sprue with a pair of tweezers and cutting the chimneypot from the sprue with my Xuron track cutter, which works very well when the chimneypot doesnít disappear into thin air.  So lesson number two was to hold the chimneypot with the tweezers when cutting it off and allowing the much larger sprue to shoot off a little way onto the cutting mat, where it remains.  Eventually, all the chimneypots were fitted and the capping stones attached to the chimney stacks.  I located the building between two rows of shops, which is how it will be situated when everything is finished.

I need to make another three-storey building now to add to the right-hand side of the right-hand row of shops.  Then I will make another row of shops to attach to that, followed by another three-storey building and, finally, another row of shops.  This is a general view of the far side of the high street, with all the existing Metcalf and Scalescenes model in place, although at least some of the non-scratch-built models may eventually disappear from the high street.

I will make some scratch-built cottages to line the opposite side of the road (the side nearest the camera) and I would also like to make a new scratch-built model of the Dinsdale Arms Hotel.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4000 on: March 08, 2020, 05:32:09 PM »
Certainly looks like a pleasant place to live. Just need the  church, village pond and a population laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4001 on: March 09, 2020, 05:35:22 PM »
I had a disappointment yesterday evening.  I thought I would set another row of shops cutting while I had my tea, etc.  I had the number of cuts set to ten, so it took more than two hours to cut.  The Silhouette stopped unexpectedly in an odd place and all the indications were that it had finished.  However, I left it for another half an hour to be sure.  It didnít move again and the software seemed to indicate that the cut was complete, so I unloaded the sheet from the Silhouette machine.  To my horror, I found that some parts were shifted in relation to the rest and that several were ruined by overlaps.  Also, some parts were not cut at all.  In addition, the rollers that move the sheet back and forward had rather flattened any cuts that should have been under their path.

So, this morning, I set the cumber of cuts to five, which I had used successfully on the last row of shops, before moving everything a little to the right.  I then started the cut again with a fresh sheet of Plastikard.  With only five cuts, the process was complete in little over an hour and, I am pleased to report, everything was perfect this time.  So it is rather baffling as to why the previous cut failed.  Was it because I had set the number of cuts to ten?  Iíll never know, but at least all is well now. 

After all that excitement, we went off to table tennis, as usual on a Monday.  Before we set off, while the Silhouette was still cutting, I went down to the Train Shed and chilled out running some trains.  No everything was perfect there.  Cranmore Hall stopped suddenly while negotiating one of the points as it exited the DOWN loops.  I feared that I might have set the route incorrectly but, on investigation, it appeared that the loco had derailed for some reason.  The derailment had caused a short circuit, so the other two trains had stopped as well and I had to nurse them into the station.  After that, everything worked like a dream, so all was well in the end.

In the afternoon, I did one or two jobs in the garden before making my way back down to the Train Shed.  I took the cut sheet for the next row of shops and put it aside for my next build.  Then I took out the sheet with the shop fronts of the two remaining three-storey buildings and cut out all the windows, before separating them and then removing the front wall from the Red Lion sheet.

I added the cover layer to the front wall and affixed the window frame layer to its reverse side, this time using Liquid Poly.  Then I separated the door from its sheet, ready to fix its cover layer.

We had to go out again later this afternoon, so that was the end of Train Shed-related activities for the day.  Tomorrow I should be able to make more progress with the Red Lion.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4002 on: March 10, 2020, 07:10:58 PM »
Today was our usual Tuesday visit to the gym and I had time for a Train Shed session before we went.  I began with a running session and, although Forthampton Grange took it upon itself to stall at the exit of the UP loops, everything else worked well.  It looks as though it will be time for another track clean by the time I have finished the current timetable run.  Then I turned my attention to the Red Lion.  I added the cover layer to the door and fitted it into the doorway.  Then I cut out and added the glazing layer to the front wall.

On the way home we visited J Sainsbury and then, in the afternoon, I set about digging up all the remaining carrots and parsnips.  We shall use the best of the parsnips at the weekend and then use the remaining vegetables, possibly with an added potato or two, to make spicy root vegetable soup.  What we donít eat immediately can be frozen for a treat later in the spring.  After that, I added eight bags of topsoil to the top conservatory border to raise its level.  Last year, I divided the conservatory border into two because it had a steep slope from top to bottom.  I used the type of planking that I use to make raised vegetable beds.  We had already raised the level of the top bed, but it still needed a little more soil. Then it was off to the Train Shed for some more work on the Red Lion. 

I cut out and hung all the curtains for the upper floors and then added the signage to the front of the pub.  But, when I had just added it, I realised that some of the signage was missing from the printout.  I also determined that the window signs were too big for the windows.  I had discovered this a few days ago, but hadnít printout the revised window signs.  I also hadnít copied the pub signage correctly, so it was off back to the house to correct the PowerPoint file and print out the corrections.  Back at the Train shed, I fitted the corrected signage and added the window signs to the curtain layer, before fixing the curtain layer to the inside of the front wall.

The next job will be to add the cover layers to the gable ends, before beginning to assemble the whole model.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #4003 on: March 11, 2020, 10:15:23 AM »

I cemented the four formers of each chimney cap together and then experimented with my Dremel, using the new quick-change chuck.  I cut one of the octagonal chimneypots from its sprue and managed to drill holes of the right size for the remnants of the sprue to slide into.

I regularly read your thread with interest Martin and just wanted to say thank you, as I am always picking up tips. This week it is the Dremel chuck. I have also now ordered one (as it seems like a bargain) and some very small drill bits, will come in useful for building signal heads....
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4004 on: March 11, 2020, 10:28:30 AM »
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:32:39 AM by crewearpley40 »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00