!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 293723 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3975 on: March 01, 2020, 06:35:30 AM »
Those shops look good Laurence.
You must be pleased.

Martin
Thank you Martin.  There were still errors and there is room for some improvement, but I am pleased with the progress I am making with scratch-building.  I am planning a few more of the same, plus some three storey single ones to break up the line a bit.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3976 on: March 01, 2020, 07:58:46 AM »
Not even thougjt of a narrow cobbled street between rows of shops or a mock Tudor building ?

Online degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #3977 on: March 01, 2020, 08:26:43 AM »
The shops look great, the printed displays really set them off.
Enjoying reading this thread and watching the progress and learning in the process.

Thanks Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3978 on: March 01, 2020, 08:44:42 AM »
The shops look great!

Don't forget to embed em into the ground though!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #3979 on: March 01, 2020, 08:59:46 AM »
Beautifully weathered slate roof there Laurence!!!!

Very very impressive Sir!!!!   :laugh3: :claphappy:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3980 on: March 01, 2020, 02:08:27 PM »
The shops look great!

Don't forget to embed em into the ground though!  :thumbsup:
I've got to put pavement in front of them yet, so they will be a bit lower when I've finished.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3981 on: March 01, 2020, 05:43:59 PM »
Laurence, thanks for the measurements.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3982 on: March 01, 2020, 07:50:12 PM »
The first Sunday of the month is the Farmersí Market.  However, when we walked round to the Humber Bridge car park there was nothing there.  We surmised that it had been called off because of the weather, not that the weather was particularly inclement.  Yes, it was a bit windy and yes, it was quite chilly, but we have been to farmersí markets when the weather has been far worse.  We had a bit of a walk and then returned home for coffee.  I checked on the website, but there was no mention of cancellation.  While we were there, we met several other people who were equally bemused.  Eventually I found their Facebook page but, again, I could see no reference to cancellation.  Then I clicked on their posts tag and there was a post to say it had been called off because of the forecast of gales.  It seems that everyone is totally risk averse these days.

After coffee, I organised the back of the car and we went off to Homebase to buy twenty bags of topsoil that we needed for the rockery that Celia is working on and for the sloping bed behind the conservatory, which requires more soil.  During the morning, I set the Silhouette off, cutting the next row of shops.  This time, I decided to have another go at using 20 thou Plastikard.  I set the number of cuts to seven, but the machine went off on its own thing, still cutting the five that I had used for the 15 thou Plastikard,  In the end, it hadnít cut anywhere near right through, so I set the number of cuts to two and set it off again.  However, it still made another five cuts.  This time it seemed on the verge of cutting right through, so I think that, next time, I will leave it set to five and recut it a second time, making fifteen passes in all.

I had other tasks to carry out during the afternoon before I made it down to the Train Shed to start cutting out the model that the Silhouette had cut this morning.  I have to say that it was much easier to cut out the openings this time.  I managed to finish cutting out all the openings before it was time for a cup of tea.

At various times throughout the day, I was beavering away at the new shop windows and signage.  I have now decided that there will be four rows of four shops, sixteen in all, with three three-storey buildings separating them.  I finished all the signage and window capture for the sixteen shops and here they all are, ready for printing.

The first four are, of course, already incorporated in the row of shops I completed yesterday.  The three three-storey buildings will be Barclays Bank, the Red Lion pub and Sheldonís estate agents/surveyors/land agents.  I also intend to scratch rebuild the Dinsdale Arms Hotel.  All these buildings will be low relief buildings on the far side of the road.  After that, I intend to scratch some buildings for the opposite side of the road.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3983 on: March 01, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »
Laurence. Absolutely fabulous shop frontage and eye catching. Just need pedestrians, shoppers and grocers / ironmongers wares on display

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #3984 on: March 02, 2020, 07:42:03 AM »
That is a splendid row of shops, lovely work.  But where's the model shop?  ;)

Richard

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3985 on: March 02, 2020, 08:38:43 AM »
That is a splendid row of shops, lovely work.  But where's the model shop?  ;)

Richard
Marton Hinmarche is only a small market town with a population of about 5,000, so it is unlikely to have a model shop.  However, it is equally unlikely to have a carpet shop, which I included to make up the numbers.  So, thanks for the suggestion, I may substitute a toys & models shop, which is much more in keeping.   :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3986 on: March 02, 2020, 07:32:17 PM »
Today we had a U3A committee meeting, but it didnít start until 10am, so I had time for a brief visit to the Train Shed, after completing all the tasks necessary for the meeting beforehand.  I began with a running session, the last of the Marton Hinmarche dayís timetable.  Once again, I have used an old video to illustrate what happened during the running session.

We had to get home smartly after the meeting because, once again, the gas man cometh.  In fact, British Gas seem to have changed tack and they sent a plumber from Dyno, a company which they own.  Weíve had them before to clear blocked drains, but never to work on the central heating system.  The problem was a leaking TRV, this one had started to leak all over our new bedroom carpet, which was a bit annoying.  It must have started leaking two or three weeks ago, because the boiler started to lose pressure then, but I only noticed the leak on Saturday.  However, the carpet affected is just a small area behind the dressing table, so I think we can cope with that.

After dinner, I used my extendable 4m pruner to take the tops and cross-over branches off our crab apple tree.  Then I did some more tidying up, but it was very cold again, despite the very pleasant sunshine.  So I repaired to the Train Shed again.  I had fitted a cover layer to the outside front wall of the next row of shops after this morningís running session so, in this session, I cut out the window and door openings, before adding the window frames section to the back of it.

If you look carefully, you will be able to see that the third shop from the left has a slight misalignment of the door frame and a couple of window frames.  Fortunately, they are not too far out, but it is annoying considering that I checked carefully before I cut the parts on the Silhouette.  Apparently, I didnít check carefully enough because, when I rechecked again later, I found the error.  I hope the next set of shops will come out without any errors.  I have now started on the design of the three three-storey buildings that will separate the rows of two-storey shops.

In the meantime, in response to Richardís suggestion, I have created the graphics necessary for a model/toy shop.  If I include the toy element, it is probably slightly less unlikely than the carpet shop, so I plan to replace the carpet shop with the model shop.

Tomorrow, I hope there will be more progress on the second row of shop, in addition to making more progress on the design of the three-storey buildings.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #3987 on: March 02, 2020, 10:51:10 PM »
Just imagining all those lovely Triang trains in the shop in their stout red cardboard boxes.  Also maybe some Keil Kraft gliders and control-line model aeroplanes with Frog diesel engines and sharp-edged wooden propellors. 

Richard

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3988 on: March 03, 2020, 04:51:25 PM »
Today was another gym day.  First, I went to the Train Shed and intended to hang the curtains for the second row of shops.  However, I thought I ought to make the shop doors and add the glazing before proceeding on to the curtains.  The doors took quite a while because, when I added them to the previous version, I cut them using 15 thou Plastikard, and I didnít need to add the crosses to the window, which just fell out.  But, this time, I cut the sections from 20 thou Plastikard and I needed the crosses.  So I had to make them by hand.  The problem was that I had already removed the doors from the sheet before I realised that I needed to cut them and it was very fiddly to cut them out.  But eventually I managed it before it was time to go to the gym.  I also fitted the cover layers to the end walls, although I managed to make a mess of it twice before final success.

After the gym, we visited J Sainsbury, as usual.  Given the uncertainties over the next few weeks, we added one or two extras, like a can of corned beef, a can of Spam, a couple of cans of potatoes, and a couple of cans of soup.  We certainly werenít stocking up, but we thought it prudent to have one or two extras in case we canít get out for a few days in the near future.  I donít suppose it will come to that, but we thought it would be better to be safe than sorry.

In the afternoon, I had one or two U3A tasks to perform and I have to go to a Council meeting this evening, so I had a quick second visit to the Train Shed and finished the doors by adding the cover layers and cutting out the openings.  Then I added the glazing layer.  Once again, I made a mess of cutting the door openings first time round and had to repeat the process.  I used to offcuts to glaze the doors and that is as far as I got. 

So the curtains will have to wait until tomorrow.  Iím not as happy with this row of shops as the first one, which is odd, because I ought to improve with each iteration, but this one looks distinctly tatty compared with the first.  I also made some more progress with the three-storey buildings, which I should be ready to start cutting by the time I have finished all the rows of shops.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3989 on: March 03, 2020, 05:12:00 PM »
Every area has its local stone. Is that the stonethat we could find on marton Laurence?

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal