!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 293744 times)

Leon and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3960 on: February 28, 2020, 07:03:34 PM »
Today, we planned to go to Beverley to visit the Guildhall, which is open on a Friday.  To that end, I completed a lot of my weekly jobs yesterday.  Before we set off, I went to the Train Shed and had a running session.  This is an old video of what you would have seen, had you been there.

After the running session, I managed to hang all the curtains and then I checked the alignment of the curtain sheet with the others.  I think I have got away with the misaligned window.

Then we went off into to Hessle first, to deliver a key and have some coffee.  By the time we had finished coffee, the weather had become very miserable with a cold, biting wind and fairly heavy, fine rain.  We decided that discretion was the better part of valour and went home, not wanting to trudge around Beverley getting soaking wet.  I carried on with some council work that I am doing.  Basically it is a manual version of data mining, trawling through all the minutes since 2014, trying to extract information about a particular open space.  But, after dinner, I was off to the Train Shed again.  I fitted the shop doors that I made last night.  This involved adding the door cover layers and then cutting out the openings for the windows, before fitting them to the back of the doorways.  Once done, I cut out the glazing sheet to go behind the window frames, plus four small glazing panels for the shop doors.  Then I cemented the curtains section to the back of the whole to complete the front wall.

Now, I am ready to start assembling the whole row of shops.  I hope to make significant inroads into the construction tomorrow.  However, before I begin to assemble everything, I need to add the shop window displays that I have just printed out.

I have printed them in triplicate, in case of mistakes when adding them to the back of the wall.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3961 on: February 28, 2020, 07:11:54 PM »
So.....we have a bakers, a fruit & veg shop, a light shop but I canít make out the fourth one?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3962 on: February 28, 2020, 07:14:15 PM »

I have printed them in triplicate,

Is that so you can have a 'buy two, get one free' offer'?  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3963 on: February 28, 2020, 07:15:07 PM »
So.....we have a bakers, a fruit & veg shop, a light shop but I canít make out the fourth one?

Hardware?
David.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3964 on: February 28, 2020, 07:18:59 PM »

Hardware?
Almost.  In 1959 parlance, it was an ironmongers.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3965 on: February 28, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »
That was a very nice film, Laurence.

Thank you very much.

Your 'Standard Four' tank engine is running very well.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3966 on: February 28, 2020, 07:28:08 PM »
In 1959 parlance, it was an ironmongers.

So you could get "fork 'andles" there?  ;D. (Sorry Laurence, couldn't resist that - let's stay 'on thread').
David.

Online Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3967 on: February 28, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »
Laurence, please remind me of the width of your platforms.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3968 on: February 29, 2020, 06:50:57 AM »
Laurence, please remind me of the width of your platforms.

Leon
Hi Leon

The width of the island platform and the main part of Platform 2 is 80mm.  The with of the Platform 2 extension between Platforms 1 and 2 is 40mm and the goods depot and milk depot platforms are 40mm too.  These are standard Ratio platform kits, although I later replaced the island platform with a scratch built one.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #3969 on: February 29, 2020, 07:24:07 AM »
Now, I am ready to start assembling the whole row of shops.  I hope to make significant inroads into the construction tomorrow.  However, before I begin to assemble everything, I need to add the shop window displays that I have just printed out.

Are you going to set the fruit & veg one further back than the others?  If not, the staff might have difficulty reaching the lower baskets if they can't get around to the front.

The bread shop's no problem, because the display's usually accessed from the back anyway, and the other two would usually just have been displays to tempt people in, with the "for sale" stock being held elsewhere in the shop.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3970 on: February 29, 2020, 07:46:53 AM »
Thanks Chris

I'm hoping it will look OK stuck onto the back of the curtain layer but, if not, I'll move it back a bit further.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3971 on: February 29, 2020, 07:49:39 AM »
Excellent displays for the bakery. Fruiterers / grocers and the electrical / ironmongers laurence. Impressive

Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3972 on: February 29, 2020, 11:12:31 AM »
Excellent displays for the bakery. Fruiterers / grocers and the electrical / ironmongers laurence. Impressive

Chris
They are only copied off the web.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3973 on: February 29, 2020, 05:54:41 PM »
Normally, on a Saturday morning, we walk into Hessle to the butchers.  However, the weather was pretty horrible this morning, with cold rain, the sort that soaks you through very quickly unless you garb up in really foul weather clothing.  So, for the second day running, we decided that discretion was the better part of valour and took the car.  Now, in principle, I am against taking the car into town because a one-mile walk each way should be well within the capabilities of any reasonably fit person and I regard taking the car as an unnecessary use of a motor vehicle.  But today, we decided to allow ourselves the luxury of going in the dry (well relatively, because we still had to walk from the car to the butchers and back).  Before we went, I spent some time working on the signage for the row of shops.  When we returned we had coffee.

Then I completed the signage and took it down to the train Shed, together with the window displays.  In the case of the greengrocer, although I fixed the display as though it was a window display, it looks simply as though you are looking through the shop window at the produce inside.  I attached the signage and window displays and then began to assemble the row of shops.

One I had fitted the ceiling, I set about constructing the chimneys, which at 2mm to the foot, was an extremely testing feat.  However, I eventually managed to assemble them both and added a cover layer to the top of each.  The next hurdle was to determine where to attach them to the rear wall.  To that end, I cut out the chimney openings in the roof section and marked the positions of them on the back wall.  Once the chimneys were in place, I tested the roof fitting and found that the openings werenít quite large enough.  I had to do quite a bit of paring back of the edges of the openings to get them to fit, but eventually the roof fitted perfectly.  During that time, the sun came out and it dried up nicely.

After dinner, I made up the log burner and brought in some more wood.  I had intended to do a bit of gardening, but we had another shower of rain, which rendered everything wet again, so it was off to the Train Shed for another session.  This time, I fitted a cover layer to the roof before fixing it into place.  Then I added the ridge tiles before tackling the chimney caps.  I cut two pieces of the correct size from the A4 sheet of black 2mm Plastikard.  That was no mean feat.  Trying to cut it with a craft knife or razor blade proved nigh on impossible.  So, having made a start with the craft knife, I resorted to my razor saw and that did the trick nicely, although it left some ragged edges, which needed rubbing down with a piece of carborundum paper.  Then it was out with the Dremel to drill two tiny holes in each capping stone for the chimneypots.  This time, I used the rectangular chimneypots.  Once the pots were in place, I fixed the capping stones to the chimney stacks.  Hereís the (almost) completed building against the backscene, which is roughly where it will finish up.

I said almost completed because I need to add some pavement to it and then think about gutters and drainpipes.  I think I have enough of the latter to add to the three buildings I have scratch-built so far to make it worthwhile getting the airbrush fired up to paint them.  I think I will paint them black.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3974 on: February 29, 2020, 05:58:21 PM »
Those shops look good Laurence.
You must be pleased.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal