!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 319114 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3945 on: February 19, 2020, 05:40:46 PM »
Laurence impressive thus far. Maybe lessons for the next batch of work

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3946 on: February 20, 2020, 07:25:47 PM »
Thursday is out play day, although we only had half a day today.  We went to Driffield and had coffee at the Bell Hotel, an eighteenth century coaching inn that provides scones with morning coffee.  Before we went I spent some time working on the design of the row of shops and there is good news.  I switched to portrait orientation and left some margin around the edges and it all works very well.  I can only make one set of windows panels but it avoids the danger of losing something near the edge if the alignment is not perfect.  It also allows me to miss the rather unhelpful labels that Railwayscenics have stuck on the corner of each sheet and which are almost impossible to remove without damaging the sheet.

I also had a few minutes in the Train Shed and, more good news: I was able to find the facing sections for the rear extension that I originally cut with the old blade.  I was able to resurrect them with a craft knife, although there was a slight accident when one top window fragment would not snap off and tore the wall above edge of the window instead.  However, a little Liquid Poly applied to the break seemed to be sufficient to mend it again.  Because the layers are so thin (10 thou) I think I will be able to apply the cover layers to these resurrected sections and then simply apply them over the top of the completed sections that I forgot to cover.

While we were out, the rain set in and it was a rather unpleasant drive home in driving rain.  But we did, eventually, manage to get Celia some lined wellies to keep her feet warm when gardening.  The original shop we went to (Yorkshire Trading) had completely changed their range and we had to give up there.  But then I had the idea of trying the Mole Country Store, expecting to have to pay a much higher price.  But we found exactly what was required, in the right size, reduced by 60% to clear.  At the till, the price was further reduced by another 25%, so we had a real bargain.  That made the journey through the rain seem somewhat more cheerful.

In the afternoon, I had another session in the Train Shed.  One of the things that I had missed from the main house was adding the bargeboards, so I added those to completed everything except the chimney capping.

Then I set about assembling the rear extension.  Now, although the techniques of using a double skin of 10 thou Plasticard for the window panels worked fine for the main house, it didnít really come off for the rear extension.  I think the dimensions arenít quite accurate enough and, like the main house, I made a hash of the chimney stack.  However, this chimney was much worse because, in addition to making it twice as long as it should have been, I got the dimensions of the sides and the formers wrong as well.  Now I did try to fiddle it, but the result isnít very convincing.  Here it is with the chimney assembly (not in place yet), denuded of its cover layer.

I think I may need to recut the rear extension, this time using 20 thou Plasticard.  I will also have to make sure I get all the dimensions correct as well.  I will also cover the wall that buts up to the main house because the white edge looks out of place.  However, I have placed the extension against the main house to demonstrate the final effect.

So I will suspend work on the row of shops for now and make a new sub-sheet for the rear extension.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #3947 on: February 20, 2020, 08:43:37 PM »
this is really coming along

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3948 on: February 21, 2020, 06:53:44 PM »
Before I begin todayís episode, I want to say a big thankyou to RogerB for all his helpful comments and advice, over and above his public postings.  Beginning with his ĎA Cottage for Wrentoní, I have found all his many comments most helpful and informative.  He was also instrumental in getting me to use Affinity to produced photo-merged scenic pictures.

Friday is domestic chores day and, by coffee time, I had completed the lionís share of them.  After coffee, I finished the remainder and then went down to the Train Shed.  Now, last night after tea, I set about rejigging design of the rear extension building and I had finished it by bedtime.  This morning, I set the Silhouette cutting and I was able to take the result down to the Train Shed with me.  I had decided to remake it out of 20 thou Plasticard to see if it would come out any better.

I set about cutting out the windows and doorway and, by dinner time, I had cut all the openings and fitted the cover layers to the external panels.

In the afternoon, I had some serious digging to do.  Celia is remaking our rockery border, trying to turn it into a serious rockery, rather than an overgrown, sloping border.  I dug out a gamut of periwinkles and other things, plus many buried rocks.  After that, I managed another session in the Train Shed.

I began with an operating session, the first for a few days.  I have to say that it is a joy to run the trains now that they seem to be nice and reliable.  The biggest problem is the coupling and uncoupling of the branch trains in the run-arounds.  One day, I will have to turn my attention to that thorny issue again to see if I can work out a solution that suits my operating needs.  I thought you might like to see an old video of todayís operations.

Then I set about assembling the rear extension building.  Everything went well until I came to the final assembly.  I found it difficult to keep all the panels in good alignment but, eventually, I achieved a fairly satisfactory result.

So now I am back to where I was yesterday, more or less.  I havenít made the chimney yet, but all the parts are now of the correct size, so it should go smoothly.  With any luck, I should be able to get the roof on tomorrow.  Once thatís done, I will be able to turn my attention to gutters and downpipes, both for this model and for the farmhouse.  I have the rod and half round sections, which are white, so I need to decide whether white will do, or whether to paint them, probably black.

After trying 10 thou Plasticard and finding some issues with it, I have now ordered some 15 thou Plasticard to see if that can be used as a compromise.  Also, at Rogerís suggestion, I have order some Mek-Pak to use in place of my Humbrol Liquid Poly.  I have ordered a large can (nearly half a litre) so I hope it works!  I also ordered a brush for it and I will have to learn how to get the best results with it.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3949 on: February 22, 2020, 06:24:41 PM »
We had a busy day today.  First, we walked into Hessle as normal, to visit the butchers and then we had coffee when we returned home.  After coffee, I changed into my working clothes and then got the trailer out of the garage and attached it to the car.  Then it was off to Leconfield.  A tree in our daughterís garden came down the other evening.  Came down is a bit of an understatement, it was actually split asunder, with half falling in the back garden and the other half threatening to take out the garden fence and attack passing cars and pedestrians.  In the end, the council got a team out to make the public side safe and they called an arborologist the next day, who tidied everything up for them.  But they had a lot of logs in the garden.  So our trip was to collect logs for our log burner.  They will sit in the wood stack for a couple of years before we burn them.

We returned at dinner time and there was a parcel for me in the shed.  It turned out to be the Mek-Pak that I had ordered.  Here you can see the tin, with the brush, alongside my pot of Humbrol Liquid Poly.

I tried pouring some Mek-Pak into an empty Liquid Poly pot, but it threatened to go everywhere, so I will have to think of a solution (Arghhh) to make it a little easier and safer to use.  I found that using it straight from the tin was a little hazardous and I would hate to knock it over with the lid off.  I noticed that there was a polythene insert in the cap which had an indication of a cut-out for a brush, so I removed it from the cap and cut it out, but it just wouldnít fit into the top of the tin so, in the end, I gave up and put it back in the cap.

Anyway, I then continued with the rear extension, using the Mek-Pak.  Eventually, I got it all together.

As you can see, the Mek-Pak has caused stains to the dressed stone cover layer, but I think it may be acceptable as weathering.  Once it was all assembled, I fixed it to the main house.  It was at this point that I discovered that Mek-Pak will not stick to cover layers together, so I had to resort to Speedbond, which did the trick a treat.

The rear of the extension is raised a tiny bit above the level of the main house, but I think that, when it is permanently fixed into position, the surrounding area will be raised just a little, so this will not be a problem.  You may notice that, at this stage, I had omitted to fix the barge boards in place on the rear extension.  Hereís the completed house in what will be its final position, next to the creamery. 

It is quite a substantial house which belongs to the owner of the creamery.  On the ground floor, to the left of the front door are two rooms, with a sitting room at the front and a drawing room at the rear.  On the other side of the wide hallway is a large dining room, adjoining the kitchen, which extends to include the whole of the ground floor of the rear extension.  On the first floor, to the left of the landing and stairs, are two double bedrooms, while to the right is the large master bedroom with a bathroom to the rear.  There is access to another bedroom on the first floor of the rear extension.  On the second floor, there are two further bedrooms to the left of the landing and stairs while, on the right, is the nursery which includes a bedroom for the nanny.  So itís quite a nice house to live in (if youíve got the money).  Hereís another picture of it from the other side.

You may notice that I had added the barge boards to the rear extension by this time.  The next job is to make the chimney capping stones and add the chimneypots.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #3950 on: February 22, 2020, 07:22:39 PM »
I had to catch up a few pages ( 50 or so ) but what great progress, with regards to uncoupling, a little drop of 1-second glue will solve your problem :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 07:35:37 PM by Maurits71 »
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3951 on: February 23, 2020, 05:55:32 PM »
The weather wasnít very conducive to walking this morning so we took our alternative option of going to a garden centre for coffee instead.  This time we went to Woodmansey, which is just outside Beverley.  Before we went, I had a short running session in the Train Shed and enjoyed some more trouble free running.  Here, once again, is an old video, showing what you would have seen, had you been there this morning.  When the scenic work is a bit further on, I intend to make a fresh set of videos, showing the operations with a better scenic background.

After dinner, I did some more sawing and moving wood.  I neglected to say that I had done some sawing yesterday afternoon before my Train Shed visit.  The trailer is now empty and the wood stack is looking a little more healthy.  The wood I am sawing at the moment is in long pieces in the other wood stack, which I want to clear to start filling with new wood.  Eventually, I made it down to the Train Shed and began by fitting the ridge tiles to the rear extension of the Creamery House, which I had neglected to add yesterday.

Then I started work on the chimney capping stones.  Before I began, I pipetted Mek-Pak into an empty Liquid Poly jar and marked it appropriately to avoid confusion.  Then I cemented all the chimney capping sections together.

I really must think about getting some thicker Plasticard to make the capping stones out of a single piece.  Once all the capping stones were set, I used the multi-tool chuck on my Dremel to drill 1.8mm holes for the chimneypots.  Before drilling, I used the sharp point of a pair of tweezers to mark the drilling positions, using it as a sort of micro-centre punch.  After drilling, I brush painted the capping stones with thick acrylic.  It wasnít worth firing up the air brush for such a small job.  Cleaning the airbrush would have taken far longer than the painting.

Also, throughout the day, I have done bits and pieces to the design of the row of shops.  I may be in a position to cut them out tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3952 on: February 24, 2020, 05:40:22 PM »
Today was table tennis, so I didnít have time for a Train Shed session before we went.  But I did set the Silhouette off after breakfast and, just before we left, I had finished cutting the row of shops.  I have cut it all using 20 thou Plasticard to see how I get on with cutting out all the windows.  I have taken Rogerís advice and left a little space between each panel, with all the features of the panel contained within a group, so if I need to cut anything again, it will be much easier to do so.

In the afternoon, it was back to sawing up firewood again.  Then, eventually, I made it down to the Train Shed.  I wanted to fit oblong chimneypots but they have very little base joining the sprue, so I opted for ringed pots instead.  After a couple of accidents, I managed to fit all fifteen of the chimneypots and then fixed the capping stones to the chimney stacks.

I had previously fitted octagonal chimneypots to the farmhouse.  We have a real live one (well, not alive really) in the garden, so I thought you might like to see it in the flesh, so to speak.

So now the Creamery House is complete, apart from its drainpipes and gutters.  I also have to fit gutters and drainpipes to the farmhouse, so I thought I would have a session on that soon, although I may wait until I have made the first row of shops.  I think I will make two rows of shops altogether, making eight new shops in all.  Once the Creamery House was finished, I began cutting out the windows and doors for the row of shops, that I had made on the Silhouette machine this morning.  I have got as far as completing all the cut-outs for the outside face of the front wall.

I ordered some 15 thou Plasticard and it arrived today.  I did a test cut on it and the Silhouette will cut right through it, so I may use it to make a trial building to see if it is man enough for the job.  Iíve also ordered a couple of sheets of 80 thou Plasticard to make chimney capping stones, rather than making them from four layers of 20 thou Plasticard.

Just an update on the weather here.  The wind was nice and calm this morning, for a change.  But the bridge is roaring again now and Iíve just recorded a gust of over 50 mph, which is more that anything Denis threw at us.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 05:41:40 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3953 on: February 24, 2020, 06:03:47 PM »
I had previously fitted octagonal chimneypots to the farmhouse.  We have a real live one (well, not alive really) in the garden, so I thought you might like to see it in the flesh, so to speak.

Laurence, a pot's a pot, I suppose! But, not everyone is so creative in how they use them!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3954 on: February 25, 2020, 07:17:07 PM »
Today was a normal gym day, followed by an excursion to Lidl gmbh and Waitrose.  We try to alternate between J Sainsbury one week and Lidl/Waitrose another.  I did have time for a session in the Train Shed before we went.  I began with an operating session which ran absolutely perfectly.  Hereís the equivalent video of what you would have seen.

I also had time to start cutting out some more of the doors and windows for the row of shops.  Later, in the afternoon, I continued with the row of shops and finished cutting out all the openings, before separating the various sections ready for assembly.  Then I added the cover layer to the outside front wall and began cutting the openings.  By the time I returned to the house, I had opened up all the shop windows and shop doors.  Here are the various sections of the front wall and the two side walls, which are ready to have their cover layers fitted.

I am beginning to think about what I will design to test out the 15 thou Plastikard (which I have, up until now, misspelled as Plasticard).  I only realised my spelling error when I received my invoice from Slaterís.  However, I will soldier on with the row of shops tomorrow and see how far I get.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3955 on: February 26, 2020, 07:37:16 PM »
Today was another gym day, but we usually go later on a Wednesday, so I had more time in the Train Shed.  However, all is not well in the Train Shed.  I began with an operating session.  The first train to run was the 3.42pm local from Worcester, hauled by 80119.  But 80119 would not start from DOWN Loop 13.  It kept moving a fraction and then making a banging noise that it sometimes makes when running very slowly.  In the end I moved it back and gave the loop a good clean.  Eventually, it ran as good as gold.  Here it is, waiting at Platform 3 for the Right Away.

After that false start, everything else ran perfectly.  I then carried on with cutting the openings in the cover layer that I had started yesterday.  However, when I had finished, I matched it up with the window frames section and it didnít line up.

I could have sworn that I had checked the alignment before I started on the cover layer but, obviously, I didnít check it carefully enough.  We had U3A table tennis in the afternoon, so I didnít get to make the corrections until later.  This time, I checked that all three skins lined up perfectly.  However, when I took the corrections down to the Train Shed, there was still a problem.  It was then that I found that, if I reversed the outer skin, they lined up as expected.  But, I had already fitted the cover layer and I thought that applying a cover layer to the other side would cause problems with the apertures, so I decided on another recut, this time making sure that all the layers were symmetrical from end to end.  There was no spare material left on the original 20 thou sheet so I thought I would try out a 15 thou sheet now that the opportunity had arisen.  I had reduced the number of cuts to 2, but that didnít cut right through, unlike the test cut I made with 4 cuts.  So I made another with 4 cuts, but I had put the sheet in matt side up instead of shiny side up and it still didnít cut right through.  However, I think I can proceed with what I have got.  At least it will test the concept of using 15 thou Plastikard instead of 20 thou.

Another thrilling instalment will follow tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Graham63

• N Gauge Society Number: 4067
  • 2mm Association Number: 1755
    • Awards
« Reply #3956 on: February 26, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »
Good Evening Laurence, I may be stating the obvious but can you adjust the blade cut depth and pressure, I ask because my wife has a Brother Scan and Cut machine and you can do both things on it. Best wishes Graham

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3957 on: February 27, 2020, 06:27:59 AM »
Thanks Graham.  I have the depth and pressure set at maximum for Plastikard.  I'm gradually getting used to it.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3958 on: February 27, 2020, 06:33:53 AM »
Laurence. I hope 20 thou plasticard yields better results for those Super structures. Happy modelling. Chris

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3959 on: February 27, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »
I promised a thrilling instalment today.  Well, thrilling isnít quite the right word, but at least thereís good news.  Overnight, it occurred to me that I really needed to test the whether turning the Plastikard over would make a difference on the grounds that, if it didnít, the 15 thou Plastikard was of no further use but, if it did, then as I have already wasted one sheet, that is a sunk cost.  So this morning, while I was occupied on other tasks, I set the machine off again on a new sheet of 15 thou Plastikard, shiny side uppermost.  Iím pleased to say that it really did make a difference.  A few cuts went right through so that some of the window cut-outs remained stuck to the cutting mat when I removed the Plastikard, but most of the others were so close to a clean cut that I was able to poke the centre of the cross with the point of a pair of tweezers and push the cut-outs through, ready to be snapped off.  Here you can see the result.

The bottom section is the outer wall section after I had removed all the window and door cut-outs.  The other two are as they came off the cutting mat.  The middle one is the window frames section and the upper one the curtains section.  Before I made any visits to the Train Shed, we went off to Leconfield to deliver various bits and pieces for our granddaughter.  We returned home for coffee and then went off again to the tip shop.  Everyone calls it the tip shop but, strictly speaking, itís called the Reuse Shop.  Itís located at the recycling centre, which is at the site of the old landfill, hence the nickname.  We took Celiaís old computer, which is still in working order, although very slow and running Window 7, which is no longer supported.  I snaffled her monitor, which is comparatively new and we took my old one instead, which is years old.

In the afternoon, I set about pruning the gooseberries, a thorny subject indeed.  They were the last of the fruit to be pruned and so I then spent a happy hour with the shredder, shredding the gooseberry prunings and all the other prunings, which had been lying about.  They are now all happily in Compost Bin 1.  Then I made it down to the train shed, where I cut out all the openings on the above wall sections, using nothing more than the point of a pair of tweezers to push in each opening in turn, before bending back and snapping off each of the unwanted sections.  Then I added the cover layer to the outside wall section and began cutting out the window and door openings.  By the time I had finished that, I had reached the same stage that I had achieved yesterday, when I found the errors in design.  I attached the window frames sheet to the back of it and, although there are one or two imperfections, I think it will do.

However, when I lined up the curtains section, I found that there was still an error in one window of the curtains section.  But I think I will be able to ignore it on this occasion: it will simply appear as a curtain that hasnít been drawn back properly.  So, tomorrow, itís putting up curtains again.  I must say that the 15 thou Plastikard is much better that the 10 thou variety and, given that the front wall comprises three layers of Plastikard plus one layer of clear film, I think it will be quite adequate.

Another good news story today was that the postman brought me two sheets of 80 thou Plastikard, one black and one white.  I will try to use the black one to make the chimney capping for the two chimney stacks on the row of shops.  Iím not sure about the white one yet, but I thought I might as well order it at the same time.  On the negative side, I also had a new set of bathroom scales delivered but, although the description included a backlight, there wasnít one and the display is so dim that it is practically unreadable.  So I have told them that I want to return it.

With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100%