!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 289200 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3900 on: January 25, 2020, 07:32:39 PM »
This morning, as usual, we walked into Hessle to the butchers.  Before we went, I did some more work on the Silhouette model design.  I also worked at improving the cutting specification for Plasticard.  I have now adjusted it to maximum pressure (33) with five passes and a blade setting of 10.

After we returned, we had coffee and while I was drinking mine, I continued to work at the Silhouette model until I was satisfied that I had got it exactly as I wanted, based on my experience of three previous trial runs.  Then I went down to the Train Shed and made some more progress with the low-relief houses.  I cut the slots in the ceilings and fixed them in place then fitted the roofs.  The slaters have still to get to work on the roofs.

After dinner, I first cut the next iteration of the farmhouse, using the Silhouette.  Then I set about pruning (destroying would be a better word) all the creepers alongside the border in the front garden.  We have a passionflower, a stephanotis, a honeysuckle and a Virginia creeper.  They are all prolific climbers and tie themselves (and each other) into knots.  Indeed, they tie into knots everything with which they come into contact as well.  So, by the end of the growing season, there is always a great deal of hacking down to be done.

After a cup of tea, I went down to the Train Shed again.  I took the sheet of Plasticard that I had just cut on the Silhouette and began to cut out windows and doors.

It is difficult to see all the markings with the glare from the lights, but some of the diagonal cuts can be clearly seen.  I use the point of a sharp craft knife and cut along the scored diagonals, beginning with the acute triangles as can be seen from the window that is half finished.  Then I returned to the low-relief houses and added some slates to one end.  On this occasion, I chose to fix the sheet of slates as a single piece, rather than cutting it into strips.  I cut strips for my first two Scalescenes models, but I think that, like a lot of N scale modelling, the detail is too overpowering, so I think a single sheet is preferable.

Tomorrow, I hope to do some more train running and, perhaps, complete the low-relief houses.  I have just come across and ordered a Silhouette 2mm Kraft Blade, which I hope will cut through the Plasticard to eliminate the need for finishing with a craft knife.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3901 on: January 26, 2020, 02:53:49 PM »
Keep us all informed as to how you get on with the 2mm blade Laurence.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3902 on: January 26, 2020, 05:19:52 PM »
Sunday morning dawned fine and the Sun even came out for a while, so we enjoyed our usual Sunday walk through the Country Park and down to the river.  When we returned home, we had coffee before I set about drilling holes in the bottoms of the orange buckets that we bought on Friday.  I know it seems silly to drill holes in buckets, especially when I donít have any straw for Henry to mend them.  But they are going to be used as flowerpots for all our large lavender plants that we intend to remove from the boarders because the grow far too vigorously and overpower everything else in the boarders.

After that, I replenished the bird feeders. That task is supposed to be one of my Friday jobs, but there is no point in refilling them when they are still pretty full.  Then I had a shortish session in the Train Shed.  I manged to complete the slating on the low-profile houses and fixed the ridge tiles.

I also managed to cut out the chimney cap base layers and cover layers, but I didnít have time to assemble them and add them to the model.  While I was there, it started to rain and it was only when I got back to the house that I remembered that I had intended to have pulled some carrots and a red cabbage before my Train Shed Session.  Oh, well!  I got a bit wet harvesting the vegetables today.

I am still persevering with the varifocals on the computer.  They work pretty well for everything else but it is still difficult with the computer screen.  I usually write in Word, using Arial 12pt with a page width view.  I can just about manage with that.  But spreadsheets are more of a problem and reading the posts on the forum almost gives me a headache.  I will continue with the trial for another couple of weeks, but I have a feeling that I will need to revert to reading glasses just for the computer.  I may ask the optician to change the lenses in the second pair (that werenít supposed to be made until after I was satisfied with these.  The lenses I have at the moment are Number 4 on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 having the narrowest field of view and 5 the widest.  So I think I will ask for Number 5 lenses in the second pair to see if that makes any difference. 

In the afternoon, I ventured out into the rain and duly harvested the vegetables for tonightís tea.  Then I had another session in the Train Shed.  I eventually managed to finish the low-relief houses (apart from the chimney pots, which will be left until virtually everything on the layout is complete).  Here they are on the right, next to the first set that I made.

Then I started to cut out all the windows and doors on the Plasticard farmhouse.

I have finished all the doors and windows on the front and rear wall and have now only 35 more windows and 5 more doors to cut out, plus the chimney openings in the roof.  Then I will be able to remove the components and start assembling them.  It might be a good idea to mark them all with a marker pen as I remove them, to make assembly easier.

Incidentally, replacement cutting mats for use after 'experimentation' are cheap enough off Ebay. I know, I've just bought another 3 pack :doh:
Thanks for the tip.  I have order a set of three in case of irreparable damage to the one I am using.
Keep us all informed as to how you get on with the 2mm blade Laurence.  :thumbsup:
When it comes Iíll try it out.  It would be really good if I could cut right through the Plasticard to save having to use a craft knife to cut out the windows and doors.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3903 on: January 27, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »
Monday is table tennis day but I did fit in a short session in the Train Shed before we set off.  I managed to cut out the window frames for the front windows.  I have designed the model so that the window frames will sit inside the front and rear walls.  Inside the window frames will be the glazing layer that I intend to cut as copy of the glazing panels from the Silhouette design.  Finally, the curtain panels will sit inside the glazing panels with printed curtains attached to them.  Four sheets of 0.5mm Plasticard (well three and one of glazing) should give the front and rear walls plenty of substance.

I came across a problem with the design for the widow frames, which only became apparent when I began to cut them out.  I have designed them as sash windows with a frame overlap of a scale 3 inches, which equates to about half a millimetre.  When cutting out, it is extremely fragile and you can see that one of them broke off, leaving a non-sash, picture window.  I donít think it will matter for the model, but I have designed a modified model with 6-inch overlaps.  Of course, if the 2mm Silhouette blade is able to cut right through the Plasticard, I wonít need to bother with the revised model.  You can see the result here.

After table tennis, I began work in the garden.  On this occasion, I dug up the four lavender bushes in the back garden, ready for Celia to pot them up in the orange buckets.  In the afternoon, I was able to make another foray down to the Train Shed and began with an operating session.  I havenít been able to run trains for a few days and it was quite heartening to see everything running very well.  Here you can see Forthampton Grange waiting for the Right Away from Platform 3 with the 2,31pm for Paddington.

Hereís another, more general view of the station, although the focus merge didnít work quite so well.

After the operating session, I continued with cutting out all the windows and doors in the remaining layers for the farmhouse.  I managed to finish them all, including the roof cut-outs for the chimneys.

So tomorrowís job will be to remove all the parts from the sheet of Plasticard and start to build the model.  On the way back up from the Train Shed, I couldnít help noticing the lavender bushes, now planted in the orange buckets.

Tomorrow is a gym day but, hopefully, I will be able to manage a session in the Train Shed before we go.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3904 on: January 28, 2020, 08:01:33 PM »
Today was a gym day.  I was ready really early and thought I would be able to have a nice long session in the Train Shed before we set off.  However, circumstances conspired against me.  When I tried to open the garage to get the car out, the door stuck about half a metre from the bottom.  I suspected that the trailer had somehow been moved and that the rear lights were fouling the door, which proved to be the case.  So I moved the trailer and tried to open the door again.  But it closed and then began opening again, finishing in the same position as before.  I hit the button again and this time it opened fully, but then continued on for about the same distance and finished partially closed.  I tried again a couple of times, but each time the result was the same.  Oh dear!

There is a red pull tag in case of power failure, so I pulled it and the door was now released and I lowered it to the bottom.  I then tried to reset it with the green button, but I now could not get it to reengage with the mechanism.  After another few tries, I searched for and, eventually, found the instruction book.  However, it wasnít very illuminating.  It simply illustrated the procedure that I had already followed.  But there was a note to say that the door needed to be fully home when reengaging the mechanism.  So I lifted it into the fully open position and tried again.  This time, the mechanism moved for a short distance and then locked onto the door.  Then came the acid test.  I tried closing the door and it all worked fine.  I then opened it again and Bingo!  So that was most of my Train Shed time squandered. 

I did get to start cutting out and assembling the farmhouse.  However, I only got as far as fixing the end support to the base.  The end support runs along the middle of the base to act as a support for the two gable ands.  I am using Humbrol Liquid Poly to weld the pieces of Plasticard together, which worked very well on my scratch-built island platform.  I did begin to fix one of the gable ends but remembered, just in time, that I needed to add the stonework cladding first, which I hadnít printed yet.  So I removed the gable end before it welded itself to the support and set off for the gym.

After the gym we visited Lidl and Waitrose, arriving home for a late dinner.  Just before we set off for the gym, the 2mm Silhouette blade arrived.  The good news is that there are two in a pack, which seems like much better value.  The bad news is that, no matter what I did, I couldnít get it to cut in a straight line, so it looks as though that was a bit of a waste of money.  Fortunately, they were not terribly expensive.  So, in the afternoon, I spent some time trying to optimise the cuts with the standard auto blade.  In the end, I settled for five passes with the depth set to 9, force set to 33 and speed set to 5.  I also printed out some dressed stone facing for the farmhouse onto an A4 label and took it down to the train Shed.

The next bit of experimentation involved trying to work out the best way to cut the label material.  In the end, although it is a bit wasteful, I decided to draw a pencilled rectangle on the face of the dressed stone, somewhat larger that the wall section and stick the whole rectangle to the wall.  I finally cut out the sticky label with a razor blade using the edge of the wall section as a straight edge.  That seems to work well and here are the two gables in place.

In fact, when I fixed the end support in place, I realised that I had specified it 6Ē (1/24th of an inch) too short.  Remember, because the Silhouette only works in imperial measurements, I have chosen a scale of 1Ē to 12 feet, which is 1:144 as opposed to 1:148 for N scale.  But if you scratch build in metric, you need to work to 2mm to the foot, which is 1:152.4, so I am quite happy with my scaling.  Fortunately, I had another piece of end support from my previous effort, so I was able to use it as an overlapping extension piece to allow the correct spacing between the two gables.

Then I turned my attention to the front wall of the farmhouse.  This time I had to have several goes to get the cutting right for the stone faced cover layer, but I got it right in the end.  Once it was covered correctly, I had to cut out the window and door openings.  I did this from the back (inside) of wall, cutting a diagonal cross through each opening and then folding the pieces back inside the wall.  For the bottom of the doorway and the top of the first floor windows, I had to trim the foldover to ensure that it didnít foul the adhesive bond between sections.

At the moment, the corners of the building look a bit bare, with plastic edging showing.  But I intend to cover the corners with corner stones, so it should all look OK when I have finished.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3905 on: January 29, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »
Today was another gym day.  Before we set off, I had an early session in the Train Shed.  First I ran a few trains.  Hereís B17 61664, Liverpool, arriving at Platform 2 with the 2.29pm from Norwich (Thorpe) going forward to Worcester (Shrub Hill) at 4.31pm. 

There were one or two gremlins in todayís operations, but Iíll give the track a bit of a clean at the end of the Marton Hinmarche day.  In the afternoon, I managed a couple of sessions in the Train Shed, with a session making curtains and doors in between.  I also did some more tests with different cuts on the Silhouette Portrait.  I have now discovered the problem with 2mm blade.  It is so large that it drags around the corners where there are right-angled cuts.  Iíll perhaps have another go with it set to a shallower depth.  I can cut right through the Plasticard using Speed 10 with ten passes, but it makes a bit of a mess of the whole thing, so that is a non-starter.  In the end, I decided that my original settings of five passes and a speed of 5 were the best I could achieve.

My first afternoon session in the Train Shed resulted in fitting the rear wall and then fixing the window frames in place.  Here you can see the rear wall with its window and door frames.

And here is the front of the building, this time with the glazing sheet fitted.

After I had made the curtains and doors, I fitted the curtains to the curtain sheets that fit inside the glazing panel.  Hereís the rear curtain sheet with the curtains fitted.

Hereís the rear of the farmhouse with the curtains and back door fitted,

And this is what the front looks like, this time with the ceiling panel in place as well.

I am aware of several imperfections in the model which, fortunately, is only a prototype for learning purposes.  I think I will allow for the window and door frames to be a little over scale, say six inches wide rather than the three that I have used so far.  The reason is simply that the sash windows are very delicate and easily distorted as you can see in the pictures.  Also, the sides of the frames, particularly the door frames, seem to disappear behind the edges of the opening in the outer wall.  I hope that making them overscale wonít spoil the appearance.

Tomorrow, if I have time, I will start to cut out the corner stones and then think about making the chimney stacks.  After that, the model will be ready for fitting the roof.  So far, using Plasticard has turned out to be a lot simpler and less fiddly than making paper and card models.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3906 on: January 29, 2020, 08:04:19 PM »
Realistic laurence. Are those curtains off cuts from your wife 's sewing box etc or other materials

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3907 on: January 30, 2020, 06:36:37 AM »
Realistic laurence. Are those curtains off cuts from your wife 's sewing box etc or other materials
:laughabovepost:
No there're printouts from a Powerpoint slide that I made:
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3908 on: January 30, 2020, 08:04:00 PM »
Today was our play day and, for a change, we went shopping.  Not the normal, run of the mill shopping, but we drove over to York and went to John Lewis and M&S (Believe it or not, it is now our nearest proper M&S).  But before we went, I had time for a session in the train Shed.  I began with a running session, which would have been perfect apart from the gremlins in my fingers, so that I didnít always press the right button.  Hereís Jubilee 45572, Eire, standing at Platform 3 with the 6.31pm for London Marylebone.

After that, I managed to cut out and fit the first of the four sets of corner stones to the farmhouse.

After we returned, I did some more work on refining the Silhouette design before a cup of tea, followed by another session working on the farmhouse.  I cut out and fitted the remaining corner stones before assembling the chimneys.  Once the chimneys were in place, I was able to fit the roof support, although I had to remove it again to add the cover layers to the chimneys.

At that point I test fitted the roof, only to find that some engineering modifications were required to the chimney cut-outs.  After several iteration, I managed to remove sufficient slivers of plastic to allow the roof sections to fit correctly.

Then I removed the roof and the roof support to add the cover layers to the chimneys.  After that, I refitted the roof support and fixed the two halves of the roof to the model.

I am gradually building a picture of slight modifications to the Silhouette design that will be used to make the final model.  Once I am happy with the final model, I will branch out to make more complicated buildings.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3909 on: January 30, 2020, 09:03:47 PM »
Looking good Laurence, but that parade of shops brought back memories. When I joined the Police, the uniform was, of course, provided - apart from white gloves for some reason. I was in Bradford with my Mother and we called in at Brown Muffs and asked about white gloves. Mum bought me a pair, not sure what they were made of, but were almost like silk - I had them for years. Brown Muffs eventually became Rackhams and when the store finally shut its doors, (1991?), guess who was the security manager there - yes, yours truly! My very first 'proper' suit was bought at Greenwoods and there was a 'Fine Fare' in the centre of Bradford,  (don't know about the others though  :)). I made the 'Metcalfe' parade of shops that included 'Brown Muffs', mainly for nostalgia. When I visited the 'Metcalfe' place near Skipton a few years ago, Mr. Metcalfe was telling me about his connections to Bradford.  :beers:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:04:53 PM by dannyboy, Reason: amended »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3910 on: January 31, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »
To begin with, an update on my Varifocals.  They have been really good for driving and normal wear and I even found them good for table tennis on Monday.  But the big bugbear with them is the computer screen.  When I am writing in MS Word, using Arial 12 point and page width view, they are not too bad because I can put up with the out of focus bits to a certain extent.  However, when reading Emails, looking at the forum posts or using Excel spreadsheets, the in-focus area is confined to something not much bigger than a 50p piece.  Yesterday, I found another problem.  While we were in John Lewis, I found that I couldnít read the tickets on the front of the shelves without getting down on my hands and knees, putting my face right up to the ticket and bending my head right back to look through the very bottom of the lenses.  I will give it to next week but, then, I think I will have to go back to the opticians to see what can be done.  But enough of the varifocals.

Friday is weekly chores day and, by coffee time I had completed almost all of them.  After coffee, I though I would have a nice long session in the Train Shed.  But things didnít go too well there.  I began with the final operating session of the Marton Hinmarche day.  The trains all behaved impeccably, but my brain seemed to have taken the day off, resulting in my giving the wrong instructions to locos (or the right instructions to the wrong locos).  So, by the time that was over, I was feeling a little frustrated.  Hereís Cranmore Hall pulling away from Platform 2 with the 8.31pm for Hereford (Barrs Court).

Then I thought I would try the farmhouse in what will be its final location and it seemed to be quite at home there.

However, when I placed it next to the Metcalfe kits, it appeared to be rather underwhelming for a large, prestige farmhouse.

The workersí cottages on the right are almost as big as the farmhouse and the row of railway houses also make it look rather modest.  The next problem was that I should have put the slate cladding on the roof yesterday before I fitted it.  Adding it today proved somewhat difficult.  The problem yesterday was that, for some reason, I had failed to print out the sheets with the slates on.  So I went back to the house to print them, but the printing was poor with what appeared to be skid marks across the sheets.  I checked the toner levels in the cartridges, which showed the black cartridge to still have 10% remaining.

But after a couple more tries, I noticed that the black print quality was good on the right-hand side of the sheet, but rather grey on the other side.  So, reluctantly, I changed the black cartridge, which immediately did the trick.  Eventually, I did manage to get the slates on the roof.  Hereís the result, with the chimney capping stones perched in place to see how they would look when complete.

In the afternoon, I did some garden tasks, which occupied me until it was time for a cup of tea.  Then I returned to the Train Shed and it occurred to me that it might be useful to compare the farmhouse to the Scalescenes cottages and low-relief houses.  As you can see here, it looked much more like a large farmhouse.

After that, I thought I would try fitting the barge boards.  First I tried them double width, in view of the double width policy that I will be trying for the window frames on the next iteration,

However, they do look a little oversized.  So, on the other gable wall, I used the original single width ones.  But these look just a little puny.

The original ones were a scale six inches wide and the double width ones a foot wide.  So I think I will try nine-inch ones on the next iteration.  At least there were a few lessons learned today.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Graham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #3911 on: January 31, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
having built a number of Scalescenes and Metcalfe models, I am watching your progress with the Silhouette with interest. May have to invest in one for myself.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3912 on: February 01, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »
This morning, we undertook out normal Saturday morning walk into Hessle.  Before we went, I had time to make the final adjustments to the second iteration of the farmhouse, which was all ready for cutting by the time we left.  After we returned we had coffee and then I set the Silhouette machine into action cutting out the new version while I repaired to the train Shed.

My first task was to clean all the mainline tracks between Oakwood Tunnel and Gatsby Tunnel.  None of the mainline locos are giving any trouble in the loops so I decided to give the loops a miss on this occasion.  The only possible exception is 6417 with its ĎBí set, but whenever there is a hiccup in the loops I apply a little graphite to the rails, which seems to sort out the problem.  After that, I turned my attention to the protype farmhouse. 

First, I added the chimney capping stones, having painted them yesterday with burnt umber.  Iím not altogether happy with their appearance and I will think very carefully before adding the capping stones to the second iteration.  Hereís the result, with some of the background shown to give an impression of the finished article.

There are no chimney pots yet.  I have taken a leaf out of Rogerís book and ordered some from Peedie Models.  I investigated ways to fit them, including drilling a tiny hole and using a Peco track pin, but I donít have the means to fit the drill.  I investigated my new Dremel, but it turns out that I need a 4486 multi-chuck to take my tiny drill bits.  I have now ordered one for the princely sum of £5.00.

Once all the messing about with drill bits and the Dremel were over, I decided to fit some lintels to the windows and doors.  I have used Scalescenes dressed stone for the model, but I think it is too light for the rest of the town, so I will use their Ashlar instead for the next one.  Also, I will make sure that I have fitted all the cover layers, including lintels, etc., before assembling the various parts.  Hereís the result with the lintels in place.

Iím not too convinced by the lintels and corner stones.  They do look too much like bits of paper stuck onto the model.  I think I can manage the corner stone issue by wrapping the cover layer around the vertical ends of the gables, which will, hopefully, dispense with the need for the corner stones.  As far as the lintels are concerned, I may be able to doctor the edges of the stick-on pieces using a water colour pencil. Another lesson I have learned is to treat the edges of the roof sections with the graphite crayon that I use to add graphite to the track where pickup is poor.

By the time I returned from the Train Shed, the Silhouette has cut out all the pieces for the next iteration, so that will be tomorrowís task.  In the afternoon, I had to sort out the U3A membership secretaryís laptop and get Dropbox synchronised again.  But, after that, I had time to do some more work on the Silhouette.  This time, I transferred the glazing panels onto a new drawing sheet and then experimented to find a suitable cutting setting.  In the end, I used Force: 33, Depth: 7, Speed: 1 and Passes: 2.  That cut through the glazing film without damaging the cutting mat, although I did manage to make a few cuts in the latter while I was experimenting.  But now itís good to go and I cut out the glazing panels.  I am using 100 micron clear acetate plastic sheets and have set a new material type on the Silhouette machine which I have named ĎWindow Filmí.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3913 on: February 02, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »
There wasnít much time for Train Shed activities today.  As tomorrow is the first Monday of the month, we have a committee meeting, so we played table tennis today instead.  Then, in the afternoon, I had civic duties as a member of the Hessle Town Council.  It was the Mayorís civic service and afternoon tea.  Although we slipped out early from the afternoon tea session (well really early because we didnít want to have to stay for the speeches, raffle, etc) it didnít leave any time for a late Train Shed session.  First thing, before we set off for table tennis, I had a little time to make some progress on my next Silhouette project, the owners house for Marton Creamery, which will front onto the creamery yard.  This will be somewhat larger than the farmhouse, the main part being three stories high, with a two story attachment at the rear.

After table tennis, I managed to squeeze in a little time in the Train Shed, where I started work cutting out the second iteration of the farmhouse.  I had planned it all out as far as the order breaking off the various sections was concerned, but I got so carried away that I forgot that I needed to start cutting out the windows while the whole thing was still in one piece.  So I had to start cutting out the windows, window frames and curtain openings after I had separated some of the sections, which always makes it harder where there are cut-outs near the edge of a section.  I didnít manage to finish cutting out the openings, but I have made significant progress.

Iím afraid there arenít any pictures today, but I have included a re-run of a video I posted a few months ago of the last session of the day, which is the one I ran on Friday.

Tomorrow we have the committee meeting, but I should be able to manage a session in the Train Shed before we set off.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:25:28 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3914 on: February 03, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »
Today was the day of the U3A committee meeting.  However, I had time for a visit to the Train Shed, where I began with an operating session.  Once again, all the trains ran pretty well, although I still had some operational senior moments.  I must learn to keep to the operational timetable instead of working on what I think to be my understanding of what comes next.  Hereís ex-GWR small prairie, 5572, at Platform 4 with the first train of the day to arrive at Marton Hinmarche, the 6.05am from Shipton.  On the other side of the island platform, standing at Platform 3 is Cranmore Hall with the 5.09am from Hereford (Barrs Court).

After that, I spent a happy (??) half-hour cutting out windows for the Farmhouse from Plasticard.  I had great difficulty with the curtains panels because the Silhouette didnít appear to have cut the Plasticard deep enough and I had to give it some wellie with the craft knife, which is rather tiring on the wrists.

In the afternoon, I had some digging to do and then I made up the log burner and brought in some more wood.  After a cup of tea, it was off to the Train Shed again.  Meanwhile, the postman delivered my chimneypots.

I ordered three packs of each type, which makes 144 chimneypots in all, which might sound a lot but, if I were to put chimneypots on all my Metcalfe and Scalescenes models, I would need more than 120.  However, I think I will leave the existing models for now and use the chimneypots for the scratch-built models I am embarking on.  I then continued cutting out windows and then began to add stonework to the front and back walls.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to start assembling the Farmhouse.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158%