!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 289187 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3885 on: January 23, 2020, 01:51:20 PM »
We sit in the upper tier at Bristol (which is pretty high) so are very much looking down on the pitch
Martin
Do City still play at Ashton Gate?  I lived in Bristol for about ten years from 1977 and saw the demise of Eastville, which became a shopping park, which was rather sad.  Mind you, the Bristol Bulldogs were very loud.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3886 on: January 23, 2020, 02:10:43 PM »
We sit in the upper tier at Bristol (which is pretty high) so are very much looking down on the pitch
Martin
Do City still play at Ashton Gate?  I lived in Bristol for about ten years from 1977 and saw the demise of Eastville, which became a shopping park, which was rather sad.  Mind you, the Bristol Bulldogs were very loud.

Yes, still at Ashton Gate although you wouldnít recognise it from the 70s/80s.
I lived in Trowbridge at that time .
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3887 on: January 23, 2020, 02:16:05 PM »
Persevere with the vari's I wear mine all the time now (except when in the vicinity of helicopter downdraft - then they go in my flight suit pocket!)

Lovely pic of Jubilee Class 45572, Eire btw

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3888 on: January 23, 2020, 07:18:59 PM »
Like the others, I had some difficulty adjusting to my varifocal lenses. They still aren't perfect but much better than the alternative(s). Since I have implanted artificial lenses (set for close vision) I remove my glasses for reading and modelling. There is one cautionary point I can make. Opticians sometimes don't get it right. There's a "sweet spot" which they mark on your old lenses when ordering varifocals and I've had to take a couple of pair of glasses back for replacement lenses because they weren't fitted properly. If after a reasonable time (a month, perhaps), if you're not satisfied you should return and ask them to check the "sweet spot". In my case, varifocal lenses have never been a problem using the computer. That type of lens doesn't work without movement of the head (that's the necessary adjustment) but if the computer monitor is straight ahead little movement should be necessary.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3889 on: January 23, 2020, 07:36:43 PM »
Thanks for all the info and suggestions about my varifocals.  @AJ564: Unfortunately, my screen is as low as I can get it on my desk and my office chair is on its highest setting.

The slightly lower side extension on the left is where I put my laptop, but even that has the same problems.  I think I will just soldier on for a couple of weeks and hope that things improve.  I will need to get the glasses adjusted anyway because, during my afternoonís exploits, they kept slipping right down my nose.  But, back to today.

We decided to have a day out (or at least a half day) and went across the water for a pleasant walk in the grounds of Normanby Hall.  Before we set off, I made a few adjustments to my Silhouette design and I also had quite a bit to do for U3A.  However, I did make a brief visit to the Train Shed and put my Dremel battery on charge.  On the way, I missed the turnoff from the A15 and so we had to make a bit of a detour to get back on track again.  But we managed to arrive in time for coffee, before a rather nice walk through the woods.  At first, we thought we were too early for the snowdrops but, towards the end of the walk, we came upon lots of snowdrops and aconites under the trees. 

We arrived home in time for dinner and then, in the afternoon, I set about the compost system.  Bin 1 was totally full and so I had some rearranging to do.  First, I emptied Bin 2 by turning the contents on top of Bin 3.  Thatís fine, because, when Bin 3 is eventually transferred to Bin 4, the newest contents will become the lower layers of Bin 4.  Then I transferred the contents of Bin 1 into Bin2.  Hereís the result of my labours.

By that time, I was ready for a cup of tea, followed by a session in the Train Shed.  The Dremel battery was fully charged so I returned it to the Dremel, which you can see here.

After that, I tried out my new varifocals for detailed model making.  The result wasnít very good, but I then tried them with my Optivisor and the results were quite remarkable.  Whereas, using reading glasses under the Optivisor, I was stuck with a fixed distance of focus, I can now focus on different distances simply by looking through a different part of the lens, so that was a real bonus.  I carried on and made the end walls and managed to fit the cover layers to the inside two and stuck them to the three parts of the building, making it into a whole.

Tomorrow, I may be quite close to completing the whole row of houses.  Also, I have received an Email to say that my Silhouette will arrive tomorrow.  I hope itís not a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #3890 on: January 24, 2020, 01:24:12 AM »
starting to look pretty good to me, given the normal viewing distance is probably a few feet away the imperfections you see close up will disappear in the distance. You will be the only one who is super critical.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #3891 on: January 24, 2020, 01:40:33 AM »
Are you pleased with the Dremel? Cool toy yes?
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3892 on: January 24, 2020, 06:49:50 AM »
Are you pleased with the Dremel? Cool toy yes?
I hven't used it in anger yet, but I hope to soon.  It certainly feels very good to hold.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3893 on: January 24, 2020, 08:58:09 PM »
Friday is domestic chores day, so I had a lot of things to do.  While I was doing them, I had a delivery.  Not that I would have known, apart from an Email to say my Silhouette had been delivered.  I checked in the potting shed, and there it was.    So after coffee, I unpacked it.

I spent quite a bit of today playing with it and I think I am beginning to get the hang of it now.  At first I managed to set it off cutting when I was not ready.  There was no material to cut and I hadnít even fitted the cutting tool.  Eventually I managed to get it cutting on thin board, but it didnít cut deep enough to separate the parts.  In the afternoon, we had to go out to make a delivery and get some buckets and things from the dreaded B&Q.  Then I filled a barrow of home grown (so to speak) compost for Celia to start potting (or should I say, bucketing) up our rather large lavender bushes that we need to take out of the various borders.

After a cup of tea, I went down to the Train Shed and continued with the low-relief houses.  I managed to fit the end walls and make the ceiling panels, although I need to leave them until tomorrow for the glue to thoroughly dry before cutting them ready for fitting to the model.  When I returned, I brought two sheets of Plasticard with me to try out on the Silhouette.  The first cutting wasnít anywhere near deep enough, although it was sufficient for me to be able to break off the major components.  However, I think the window openings will be a bit more of a challenge.  Then I tried another cut with deeper cuts and more pressure, but it was still insufficient.  I have ramped everything up again and I will try a test cut on an odd piece of material tomorrow. 

Iím still struggling with the varifocals.  Everything is fine, apart from the computer screen.  With the computer, virtually the whole screen is out of focus.  If I lean right forward and get really close to it, things are a lot better but, from a normal viewing distance of about 45cm it is a real problem.  There is only a small patch on the screen where things are anything like in focus and that patch is different for each eye.  If I push back to about four feet away, things are much better.  When I push my head mush closer to the screen, although things are a lot better, I canít type on the keyboard from such a position.  Iíll keep working at it, but Iím not optimistic.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #3894 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:57 PM »
Iím still struggling with the varifocals.  Everything is fine, apart from the computer screen.  With the computer, virtually the whole screen is out of focus.  If I lean right forward and get really close to it, things are a lot better but, from a normal viewing distance of about 45cm it is a real problem.  There is only a small patch on the screen where things are anything like in focus and that patch is different for each eye.  If I push back to about four feet away, things are much better.  When I push my head mush closer to the screen, although things are a lot better, I canít type on the keyboard from such a position.  Iíll keep working at it, but Iím not optimistic.

Martin - if it's any consolation, I have my Varifocals for general day to day use, walking about, reading my phone, watching TV, but for the computer I have a special pair of glasses with a fixed distance on them just perfect for the distance between my eyes when sitting at my desk and the monitor (which is a bit different from the distance I need when reading a book). So perhaps pop down to your optician and explain and they can knock you up some "computer glasses"? They will be way, way cheaper than the Varifocals.
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3895 on: January 25, 2020, 06:45:25 AM »
@DarrwestLU6;  Thanks for the tip.  I already have some reading glasses that are perfect for the screen, but I have been trying to persevere with the varifocals.  I'll keep going a bit longer on advice from those who have been through the pain barrier but, in the end, I may have to reverert to the reading glasses just for the computer, as you suggest.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #3896 on: January 25, 2020, 09:18:40 AM »
Regarding the cutter, from experience I've found that you'll struggle to actually cut anything thicker than about 10 thou - and you'll need the cutting mat for that otherwise the blade will go everywhere except where you want it to. I've found the happy medium to be 20 thou. I can make most things I want out of that and I'm not averse to a bit of score and snap and laminating. Careful thoughtful design and gentle snapping can achieve the results you want. I found the instructions to be a little vague to say the least so I've treated it more as a learning curve. You will make a few mistakes but that's life isn't it?
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3897 on: January 25, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »
Regarding the cutter, from experience I've found that you'll struggle to actually cut anything thicker than about 10 thou - and you'll need the cutting mat for that otherwise the blade will go everywhere except where you want it to. I've found the happy medium to be 20 thou. I can make most things I want out of that and I'm not averse to a bit of score and snap and laminating. Careful thoughtful design and gentle snapping can achieve the results you want. I found the instructions to be a little vague to say the least so I've treated it more as a learning curve. You will make a few mistakes but that's life isn't it?
Thanks for the advice.  I am alrerady learning.  Whatever I do, the machine won't cut right through 20 thou (0.5mm) plasticard.  I did a bit of  test cutting and I have decided to include diagonal cuts across the window and door openings, which should make it easier to snap them out.  I first tried with some fairly hard 300gsm card and I couldn't cut right through that either.  But I experimented with the cutting settings, which worked fine.  However, because I had not moved the test cut far enough up the job, I managed to cut a little bit out of the end of the cutting mat. :-[.  In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it will matter.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #3898 on: January 25, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »
20 thou is definitely too much for the machine to cut right through, but as you've discovered the plastic can easily be snapped. I don't usually bother to cut diagonals in window and door openings with the machine - I do it with a scapel, working from each corner to the centre. But having machine scored lines does help guide the scalpel if you prefer to do it that way. I like to cut out all the windows and doors before separating the walls.

If two windows are close together, or close to the edge of the wall, I usually run the scalpel through the adjacent edges - this avoids the risk of distorting or even breaking the plastic when snapping out the parts.

It's worth trying the effect of making multiple cutting passes. You can set this in the menu that appears when you click the send button. I usually set it to two passes when making cuts but leave it at one when scoring (such as for suggesting planking). Perhaps  more than two might help - I must try that some time!

Offline Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #3899 on: January 25, 2020, 12:04:18 PM »
just a quick thought on 'etching' ie planks etc.  You can easily alter the depth of the cut by adjusting the blade. Also I've found that multiple slower cuts help with small details.

Incidentally, replacement cutting mats for use after 'experimentation' are cheap enough off Ebay. I know, I've just bought another 3 pack :doh:

Oh, and by the way. I've had varifocals for about 15 years now. I'm told that the more expensive ones have a wider focal area (the bit you can normally see through) than cheap ones. My first pair were supplied by my brother in law who is an optical consultant so consequently they were horrendously expensive Carl Zeiss lenses (£600+). Absolutely fantastic... I could see everything!
It's just a matter of getting used to them. I wear mine all the time now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 12:11:15 PM by Vigo »
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal