!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 258041 times)

Moley and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3870 on: January 20, 2020, 05:49:27 PM »
You can always cut the seed potatoes in half Laurence.
Theyíll be fine and give you more for eventual planting out.
And youíre ahead of us....Iíve still not purchased my seed potatoes yet.
Iíll be digging my runner bean trench tomorrow though.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3871 on: January 20, 2020, 11:38:32 PM »
Hi Laurence, re Dremels, I have just bought one. I have been using a Rotacraft for ages, I got it free with a subscription to Model Rail a few years ago. It's ok but underpowered and very limited. So I heard there was a sale on at B&Q so I bought a Dremel 3000 kit which includes 25 accessories, it cost me £60, not sure if that was a sale price. They do a couple of cheaper versions plus a smaller 3000 kit for about £42,ie 15 accessories, but with the extra kit you get a flexible drive and a case which I think is worth having. The 3000 is mains wired, if you go up a level the 4000 + I think are wire free versions. I have not used mine yet but I am planning on laying some track over the next few days so it will soon be in use. It's well more powerfull than the Rotacraft, that is like a toy in comparison, I should have no problem cutting track etc.

Hi Laurence - I see noone has commented on the Dremel since the positive comments from @lil chris a few weeks back. I would definitely agree. I find the Dremel extremely helpful for cutting and polishing small things in tight spaces (e.g. track that is laid, or where you can't lift it and need to cut in situ) - would be ideal for relaying a point if it fails for example, or you fancy a new design (I'm relaying my track at the moment).

I found this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Accessories-10000-33000-Polishing-Sharpening/dp/B0078LENZC at a reasonable price (£40 odd) and comes with a basic accessory kit for polishing, grinding, routing, removing burrs etc, which comes in useful for all sorts of things, like pruning scenery, trimming bits of plastic! They might be useful for metal and plastic kit building also and general scenery chores. Additional accessories are very cheap and there are hundreds of them (check the Dremel website). The Dremel is light and easy to hold in the hand, which I like. This model as the "EZ" (easy) twist nose cap which makes changing tools very quick when you get the hang of it. It's German made so well engineered, I think you would approve!

My top tip for cutting track is to use the very thin but very tough Dremel "Diamond Rotary Cutting Discs" - which you can find in many outlets for a fiver, and you get a pack of half a dozen! They are thin (less than 1mm, so perfect for rail cuts) but diamond tipped metal and so very strong. The other thing to mention is study the instructions about what speed to use with each job you are doing, to match the task and the material. Also beware of kick back from some cuts, and also be careful not to overheat the piece being cut, so dip in and out if you need to keep the workpiece cool.
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #3872 on: January 21, 2020, 12:08:15 AM »
I can honestly say that the Silhouette cutter has been one of the best buys I have ever made. I've had one for a few years now and from some very humble beginnings, I've managed to create some quite impressive buildings with it.

It's not restricted to just buildings though. Believe it or not, this metre long paddle steamer was created using a Silhouette Portrait (the cheap one) from 20 thou plasticard.
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #3873 on: January 21, 2020, 11:56:19 AM »
I can honestly say that the Silhouette cutter has been one of the best buys I have ever made. I've had one for a few years now and from some very humble beginnings, I've managed to create some quite impressive buildings with it.

Wow - impressive! Which model of cutter did you go with?
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3874 on: January 21, 2020, 05:04:22 PM »
@ DarrwestLU6:  I had pretty well decided on a Dremel 8220 Cordless.  I havenít ordered it yet, but I shall soon.  Itís a bit more expensive (well, a lot really), but it comes in a nice case with a good range of accessories.  I donít have any immediate use for it but, given that I am about to embark on some serious scratch building, I think it may become useful very soon.  Thanks for the recommendation.

@: Vigo  Thanks for the recommendation.  I am on the point of ordering a Silhouette Portrait 2, which I think will suit me perfectly.  I have now got the hang of the software.

Back at the ranch, we went to the gym this morning, as usual.  I spent the time before we went refining my design in the Silhouette software.  We visited J Sainsbury on the way home, which meant we had a late dinner.  I have a council meeting this evening, so I didnít bother to get changed for gardening after dinner, visiting the Train Shed instead.  First off was an operating session.  Again, most things ran pretty well.  Hereís Jubilee Class 45572, Eire, fresh from its exploits at Wrenton, arriving at Platform 2 with the 12.31pm for Nottingham (Midland).

After that, I returned to hanging curtains and, finally, I managed to get them all up, albeit with a couple of hiccups where windows fell out during the process.  Eventually, I managed to glue all the house fronts to their respective carcasses.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to make a little more progress.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3875 on: January 21, 2020, 10:56:50 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   Thanks for the latest updates Laurence, there are only 24 hours in each day so all progress is good progress  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3876 on: January 22, 2020, 06:18:27 PM »
Today was another gym day.  I have now ordered both the Dremel and the Silhouette. 

STOP PRESS:  The Dremel arrived while I was writing this. :thumbsup:

Before I went down to the Train Shed, I finalised the design for the farmhouse that I will use as my first experiment with the Silhouette.

Then I thought I would run some trains (in fact one train).  Yesterday, at the end of the operating session, Ditcheat Manor failed at the final set of points leading into DOWN Loop 17.  No matter what I did, it would not cross the points so I moved it forward past the points and then it ran normally again.  This morning, I thought it would be a good idea to run it around the layout to see if it was still a problem, having changed the points once or twice first.  However, when it arrived back at the points, the problem was still there.  I tried it with the points set to Loop 18 and there was no problem.  So I backed up the parcels train (with Ditcheat Manor at the head) and tried again into Loop 17.  But there was still no joy.

At this point (Arrggh!)  :-[ I decided that the point blade and stock rail might benefit from a thorough clean with IPA.  That done, I tried again and ÖSUCCESS.  So I gave the parcels train another circuit.  Here it is at Platform 3.

And here again on the return journey at Platform 2.

Then came the acid test.  Would it run normally back into loop 17?  Thankfully all was well and I was then able to return to the low-relief houses.  I had time to cut out the side walls and cover layers but, finally, I ran out of time and we had to leave. 

We didnít return until nearly dinner time and then in the afternoon it was U3A table tennis.  While we were having coffee at the gym, I received a text to say that my new varifocals were ready, so I left table tennis a little early and went round to the opticians.  Their original suggestion was to make one pair and for me to try them for a week before making the second pair.  However, both pairs were there, although there was a note to the effect that I would try one pair first.

In the opticians, everything seemed fine and they were great for driving home, I could see everything perfectly, including all the LED displays on the dashboard.  However, when I arrived home and switched on the computer screen, it was an absolute disaster.  Firstly, I had to tilt my head right back to focus on the screen.  Then the sides were out of focus, particularly the left-hand side of the screen.  The left-hand lens appears to be worse than the right-hand one.  I immediately rang the opticians, but had to leave a message on the answering machine for them to ring back.  I also found them troublesome looking at a printed portrait-orientated spread sheet.  I had to move my head up and down to focus on either the top of the bottom.  I simply couldnít read the whole thing without moving my head.  I rang the opticians again, but they said to try them through tomorrow and then, if I was still having problems, they would make an appointment for me to go back again.

I will try them in the Train Shed tomorrow.  I suspect that they will be great for running trains because I will be able to watch the trains and read the screen of the controller at the same time.  At the moment, I have to take off my glasses to see the trains and then put them on again to see the controller, although I can often manage with a blurred image.  However, the real acid test will come when I try to work with the Scalescenes kits.  If thatís OK, then I guess I will just have to wear normal glasses for the computer and varifocals for everything else.  But, if I canít see to cut the layers and base layers, then I will have to revert to reading glasses and my Optivisor.  Which will be a pain, having paid a lot of money for the new ones.  I will just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3877 on: January 22, 2020, 06:23:35 PM »
Iím interested in how you get on with the Silhouette machine Laurence.
I make a lot of scratch built houses, factories etc out of plasticard which is fine but itís always a big chore cutting out the openings for doors and windows etc.
I wonder if the Silhouette machine will make that easier?
I shall watch with interest.

Martin

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3878 on: January 22, 2020, 06:28:50 PM »
I bought myself a Silhouette Portrait for Christmas. I have not yet used it in anger, but have done a few test pieces that are available in the Silhouette library. Lovely crisp cuts on paper, straight, curved and angled. Of the scratch built buildings I have made, I feel that, certainly when it comes to arched windows, the silhouette will beat a freehand craft knife easily. However, the way Laurence works, he will have results long before me.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #3879 on: January 22, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »
However, the real acid test will come when I try to work with the Scalescenes kits.  If thatís OK, then I guess I will just have to wear normal glasses for the computer and varifocals for everything else.  But, if I canít see to cut the layers and base layers, then I will have to revert to reading glasses and my Optivisor.  Which will be a pain, having paid a lot of money for the new ones.  I will just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

No Laurence! No!

What you are describing is EXACTLY what I did wrong went I bought (and gave up on) expensive varifocals about three years ago.

The temptation to "revert to reading glasses" for whatever reason is to be avoided. What happens every time you put on your varifocals is that your brain interprets (and adjusts) what its seeing. You must go cold turkey on your old readers and driving glasses. Cold turkey for long enough that your brain begins to get used to doing the adjusting more and more quickly. I sympathise with the computer screen scenario as in my case (to begin with at least) both my screen and keyboard looked bowed like a banana.

Because I struggled to begin with last time I kept on taking my specs off and only put them back on when reading or driving. This time I've forced myself to wear them all the time. I'm three weeks in and have pretty much cracked it. Don't resort to a mix and match usage Laurence!

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #3880 on: January 22, 2020, 07:44:57 PM »
I'm also interested in the Silhouette machine so I'm going to be watching for comments from David @dannyboy and Laurence @Innovationgame  on their findings.

Alec.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:19:35 PM by Invicta Alec »
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3881 on: January 22, 2020, 07:49:58 PM »
... so I'm going to be watching for comments from David @dannyboy and Laurence @Innovationgame ovation  on their findings.

Oh flippin' 'eck! Looks like I am going to have to get on with creating the station for 'Averingcliffe' now.  Where  did I put that mojo? :doh:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3882 on: January 22, 2020, 07:56:02 PM »
Iíd agree with Alec re the varifocals.
You must keep persevering. Iím sure that is what your optician will advise.
The only time I use reading glasses is when reading in bed. I have no problems with computer screens now so it is worth the brain training thatís involved.
I guess itís a bit like the muscle memory which is involved in playing the guitar for example.
The only place I have trouble is watching the football (live not on tv). We sit in the upper tier at Bristol (which is pretty high) so are very much looking down on the pitch.
Naturally my eyes want to look through the reading part of the glasses when looking down. Iíd have to tilt my head forward a long way (uncomfortably so) to see properly so I revert to my single lens distance glasses for that.

Martin

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3883 on: January 23, 2020, 06:58:48 AM »
My real problem is that I can only see the screen fairly clearly through the very bottom of the glasses, so I need to tilt my head back a little just to see the bottom of the screen.  To see the top of the screen, I need to tilt my head right back or I have to keep scrolling the screen up and down.  However, when I need see the top of the screen because a post is at the top and the screen won't scroll any further, it is becoming quite painful.  I'll try to persevere, for a while anyway.  I just hope that my eyes and brain get the hang of it before I finish up with a permanent headache.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline AJ564

• Awards
« Reply #3884 on: January 23, 2020, 12:50:07 PM »
Are you able to position your screen a little lower or raise your seating position slightly?
I wear varifocals working in IT and with those minor alterations, have no issues.
As others have said though, you need to persevere.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal