!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 289171 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3855 on: January 13, 2020, 07:30:10 PM »
At your request, I'm ignoring the beer.

But not the clock which is very nice indeed.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3856 on: January 14, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
Today it was a gym day and I had plenty of time for an operating session in the Train Shed before we set off.  I was able to make my first focus merge picture, following Rogerís excellent instructions.  I took these pictures with my mobile mounted in the frame I bought for it.  Here you see 80119 at Platform 3, awaiting the Right Away with the 4.33pm local for Aylesbury.

I only used three focus settings for this picture, but I think itís come out OK.  First I focussed on the bunker of 80119, then on the footbridge and, finally, on the backscene.  I think it would have been better with one focussed on the ballast in front of the platform, but I was still very pleased with it as a first effort.  On our way home from the gym, we visited Messrs Lidl and Waitrose, arriving home in time for some soup to warm us up on a cold and blowy day.

In the afternoon, I paid another visit to the Train Shed and, this time, I took my Lumix with me.  I mounted it on its tripod and set the shutter delay to 2s.  Then I took ten pictures, each with the focus a little further away.  This was the result.

I was very pleased with this; the foreground is nicely in focus and even London Road Bridge and the backscene are nicely focussed.  Thank you Roger for your patient instruction.

After that, I soldiered on with the low-relief houses, fitting some of the windows.  It is a slow and tedious job and I donít particularly enjoy such fiddly operations.  However, it is good when the job is complete.  Once I finish all the small windows, I will make a start on the bay windows for the righthand pair of houses.  That should be a bit of a challenge and a departure from what I did last time.  I will make at least one more set of the low-relief houses, the next time with some shops.  After that, I will appraise the back of the town scape to decide whether or not I will need to make any more to give the town the right feel.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3857 on: January 15, 2020, 07:20:18 PM »
Today was another gym day and, once again, I was able to manage a good session in the Train Shed.  I began with an operating session, which included another focus merge using my mobile phone.  Here you see 45572 Jubilee Class, Eire, waiting to depart with the 6.31pm to London Marylebone.

I merged four shots for this picture and I am very pleased with it.  I donít pretend to have achieve the quality that Roger does, but the focus seems pretty good over the whole picture.

In the afternoon, it was back to gardening duties again.  I had to plant a contorted hazel, but there was a fuchsia in its place which had to be dug up first.  Then, the fuchsia had to planted in a new location, which Celia had set aside for it.  I also began some serious winter pruning and cutting back.

After a cup of tea, I returned to the Train Shed.  My first task was to conduct an experiment.  Both Celia and I use Virgin Mobile for our phones, which is carried on the EE network.  However, the EE signal is very weak here and, in 95% of cases, when Celia tries to get in touch with me while I am in the Train Shed, the message (or call) doesnít get through.  Now, I have an old LG Cookie with a Tesco (AKA O2) pay as you go chip in it.  I could transfer the SIM to my new phone which has the facility for two SIMs.  But itís an old SIM that wouldnít fit in the new phone.  However, I discovered that I could get a replacement SIM that will fit my new phone.  Naturally, I wanted to test the feasibility for the Train Shed, so I took the LG Cookie down to the Train Shed and we exchanged text messages.  So far so good.

After that, I started work on the bay window structures.  It was extremely fiddly work but, by the time I had finished there for the day, I had cut out the windows, fitted the windowsills and Lintels and glazed them. 

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to attach them to the front wall.  When I returned to the house, I discovered that changing the SIM was not quite as simple as it appeared.  However, I managed it in the end and a new one is on its way.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3858 on: January 15, 2020, 08:02:17 PM »
Can I make a suggestion Laurence.

Two old baked bean tins and a length of string.
That way you wonít need a new SIM    :D

It used to ďworkĒ when we were kids.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3859 on: January 16, 2020, 06:32:23 AM »
Can I make a suggestion Laurence.
Two old baked bean tins and a length of string.
That way you wonít need a new SIM    :D
It used to ďworkĒ when we were kids.
I think it works better if you wax the string and keep it taught.  :)
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3860 on: January 16, 2020, 06:53:38 PM »
Today, we decided that we would have a traditional Thursday Ďplay dayí, so we decided to go across the bridge for a walk in the Waterís Edge nature reserve.  We planned to arrive in time for coffee, so there was time for a Train Shed session before we set off.  I ran the last session of the Marton Hinmarche operating day and the trains behaved quite well.  Hereís a picture of Cranmore Hall leaving Platform 2 with the 8.31pm for Hereford (Barrs Court).

I had quite a bit of difficulty with the focus on my phone today.  Different symbols kept getting in the way and producing the wrong focus.  I finished up, rather exasperated, taking more than a dozen shots just to get three that would work together.  However, it hasnít turned out too badly.  Roger has given me some tips on using Affinity, so I might be able to improve with age, so to speak.

We had a good walk after our coffee and the Sun shone almost until the end of the walk.  It is an interesting venue because the nature reserve/country park has been constructed by allowing old brick quarries to flood, making a network of reedbeds, which are home to many bird species.  They are not too easily seen, but can be heard and identified by calls and songs.  After the ramble, we had a walk up to the Ropery, but it seemed to be mostly closed, to the public at least.  The Ropery is a quarter-mile long building that was used for rope making and is now an arts centre.

We had dinner out and then returned home in the afternoon.  Then I returned to the Train Shed and continued with the bay windows, but I am beginning to despair that I will ever be able to produce a satisfactory result.  While I was there, I had another go at focus merging with my mobile phone.  This time, it worked a little better and I made this focus merge from four pictures.

The garden shed at the bottom left is right next to the camera, while the Dinsdale Arms is away in the distance, well beyond the parked coaches at Platform 1.  As far as the buildings go, I really do think I will have to start proper scratch building without all the fiddle of tiny paper parts.  It will be several days yet before I complete this set of houses.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3861 on: January 17, 2020, 07:58:04 PM »
I didnít get down to the Train Shed at all today (well, thatís not quite true, as you will see).  I had to walk into Hessle early this morning, leaving at 08:30, which is unheard of for me since I retired, some ten years ago.  I had made another appointment for an eye test, although I had one only four months ago.  However, I have been experiencing difficulty with tiny print on the instructions for one or two bits and pieces that I have sent for and it is becoming increasingly difficult to cut paper sheets and card with a craft knife or razor blade along a straight edge.  In order to get satisfactory results, I have to use my Optivisor over the top of my reading glasses.  Also, I have to keep taking my glasses off for distance work and then putting them on again.  In addition, I need to wear weak glasses to be able to read the tennis scores on the TV.

The result of all this is that I decided I would have another go at Varifocal lenses. I first tried them over twenty five years ago, but I found them a problem with computer screens because I had to move my head from side to side to read text from the screen.  However, my sight configuration is now completely different to what it was then, so I thought I would give it another go.  I decided it would be a good idea to have another eye test before buying them and itís a good job I did because there has been a bit of a change in my prescription.  I have ordered a pair (well two pairs really) with a wide focus field, so I hope they will work better than the previous ones.  The first pair should arrive in about a week and Iíll keep you posted as to how I get on. 

After I returned, I concentrated on my weekly jobs and broke the back of them by dinner time.  In the afternoon, we had a complete change and went to the cinema to see 1917.  Before we went, I did manage an extremely brief sortie to the Train Shed to retrieve my LG Cookie.  The reason for that was that Tesco had sent me my new SIM card.  I thought I would need to text them the serial number of the new one.  However, when I tried, the SIM had been disabled.  But, after a bit of a delay, the new one began to work in my new phone, although it doesnít seem to know what the phone number is.  The main thing is that the SIM works in the new phone.

In between times, I have been in contact with Roger about Affinity and Silhouette. 
I thought I would dig out some old pictures of what I have done to date in the scratch building department, using Rogerís tutorial.  First, I made a thin card mock-up of the farmhouse.  Hereís the design.

And hereís the mock-up after assembly.

Then I tried printing it onto a paper layer attached to 0.5mm Plasticard.  Here you can see the results during marking out and the cutting process.

And this is what it looked like when the pieces were cut out.

The Plasticard model is not yet complete, but here are the two houses placed on the layout.  The card model is in approximately the correct position (towards the right)  and the Plasticard one is nearby.

I hope to be able to make more progress with the Silhouette software over the next couple of days.  I might even be able to rekindle my enthusiasm for the Scalescenes model.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3862 on: January 18, 2020, 05:43:38 PM »

The result of all this is that I decided I would have another go at Varifocal lenses. I first tried them over twenty five years ago....

Laurence, in the U. S. the lenses you've ordered, are called "Progressive". I've been using them for about fifteen years and while they aren't without some problems I've found them to be the only way for me to see equally well at long, medium (computer), and close distance. If your experience is anything like mine, though, the close distance will continue to be a problem. I've had cataract surgery to replace my natural lenses - with a default for close vision. I've worn glasses all my life, so I figured it would be best to continue wearing them for distance vision. My corrected vision is 20/20, but I can't read very small print with or without my glasses. Close vision isn't clear - even with a magnifying glass. Hopefully, your new prescription will solve most of your problems, but the lesson I've learned is that science can't solve all the problems of aging!

I'd like to reiterate what I think I've said before. I read most of your posts, even though subjects like gardening and home improvement don't interest me, because they are so well written and the illustrations so helpful. I know something about the time required to present information so carefully, and I really appreciate your descriptions and/or instructions.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #3863 on: January 18, 2020, 06:25:02 PM »
Laurence,

Two or three years ago I spent a huge amount of money on some varifocal specs. Couldn't get on with them and they were quickly consigned to a drawer somewhere.
Although I'm nowhere near due, I went for a voluntary eye test just before Christmas as I felt my eyesight had rapidly declined in the past six months.
Insisting that I was an "ideal candidate" for varifocals the optician convinced me to try again. I've had my new specs for three weeks now and have really resisted all temptation to "just" quickly revert to my old readers to trim something or to "just" pop my distance glasses on to drive to the shops.  I'm now reaping the rewards. I'm particularly enjoying watching my trains pass (in focus) directly in front of me and I'm pleased to still being able to see them (in focus) as they reach the further ends of my layout.

All the best with your new ones, chuck everything else away!

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3864 on: January 18, 2020, 06:31:45 PM »
Today was again the day for walking into Hessle to the butchers.  It was a beautiful sunny morning and we enjoyed the walk there and back again.  On our return, we had coffee and then waited for our daughter to arrive.  She stayed on for a byte to eat and then we were ready for a session in the garden.

My task this afternoon was pruning all the roses.  We have 31 altogether and some of them seem to go into orbit every year.  Despite heavy pruning in the Autumn and or Winter, they just go crazy once they get going.  Normally, I would have pruned them at the end of November, but we seem to have had a lot to do this year.  Of course, they could be left until the end of February, but they can be rather lethal if you are working in the vicinity of them.  Last year, I had to take Celia to A&E because she suddenly had a severe eye pain.  It turned out to be a mild contusion where a rose branch had sprung back and a thorn must have hit her in the eye.  I donít want a repetition of that.

After a cup of tea, I repaired to the Train Shed and began with an operating session.  6713 was a bit uncooperative in the Shipton run-around but, otherwise, the running was pretty good.  Then I turned my attention to the bay windows again.  Arrrgghhh!  However, I did manage to complete them eventually.  But the result is not good.  I also cut out and fitted all the front doors, but I have still to glaze the front door top lights.  While I was fitting the front doors, several of the window glazing panels detached themselves and had to be refitted.  Hereís the not very satisfactory result of my last few daysí toil with them.

They do look rather ratty.  However, I have been trying to get up to speed with the Silhouette software and, after several abortive attempts, I think I am finally getting to the stage where I can create something worth cutting.  Once I am happy with the results, I will need to buy a Silhouette cutting machine to start creating custom buildings.  That should be well worthwhile and much less fiddly than the models I am making at the moment.  The results should also be much more acceptable.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3865 on: January 19, 2020, 07:47:56 AM »
You are making great progress with the houses Laurence, I too have been tempted by the tutorials from Roger into investigating the Silhouette cutters, but haven't so far, I don't have too many buildings on my layout, so not sure it wouldn't just become another surface for dust to collect on!

I am on my second pair of varifocals, they do take a bit of getting used to, but they are on the whole worth it ... I changed mine to a new prescription last summer, got them just before I went offshore... spent 3 week getting used to them... then as I was leaving the platform, up on the helideck, handing bags to the chopper crew... I took my backpack off my shoulder and the strap caught the leg ... dislodged them, they hit the deck and the downdraft promptly whisked them off the edge of the helideck!!! that was an expensive mistake  :doh:  I did get a funny look when I went back to the optician to order a new pair ... 3 weeks after I had picked them up!  she did give me a small discount which was very welcome

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3866 on: January 19, 2020, 09:24:58 AM »
@Milton Rail I think it's probably worth wearing a string round your kneck attached to the specs.  I have done that for a long time.  I use a slightly up-market stirng
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01007ZSL8/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item
which is far superior to the run-of-the-mill sort.  Then, if they fall off by accident, they won't go far.

As far as the Silhoutte is concerned, I haven't bought a machine yet, but I'm exploring the sortware.  The method could, of course, be used for a whole range of buildings, apart from dwelling houses.  It's just a question of designing them on the  virtual cutting table in the software.  You can even import designs if they are in the correct format.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3867 on: January 19, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
Iíve used varifocals for many years and find them perfectly suitable for my needs.
I do remember the first pair I ever had.
 I drove back to work and reversed into my usual spot only to find that I was about 4 feet from the wall (obviously looking through the wrong part of the lens).

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3868 on: January 19, 2020, 06:05:32 PM »
It was a glorious morning this morning and we went for a walk in the sunshine.  After we returned, we had coffee and then, because it was still very cold outside, I concentrated on trying to make some progress with the Silhouette software.  I am working on the farmhouse which will replace the mock-up at the Worcester end of the station boards.  So far, I have managed to get the outer shell finished.

After dinner, I harvested some vegetables for our tea tonight and then carried on with some outside jobs, but it was very cold and I had to take off my gardening gloves to replenish the bird feeders.  By the time I had done that, I needed some relief from the cold and so I went into the Train Shed.  It was only 9C in there so I set the convector heater to come on a few times during the day as well as overnight for the duration of the cold spell.  It really felt too cold to be fiddling around with curtains, so I had a running session instead.  Hereís 46122, Royal Ulster Rifleman with the UP South Midlander approaching Marton Hinmarche station.

Waiting in the station before the South Midlander arrived were 46443 with the 9.13am local for Worcester and 5572 with the 9.15am branch passenger for Shipton.

After the running session, I thought I would make a start on the curtains.

I have realised that they are a little short and only just reach the bottom of the windows, so I will have to print out some more slightly longer ones.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3869 on: January 20, 2020, 05:42:49 PM »
Monday is table tennis day, so thatís where we spent most of the morning.  We had coffee at the gym and then called in at Messrs Lidl on the way home because Celia needed milk and biscuits for her Healthy Aging group this afternoon (the milk and biscuits were for the tea break, not for aging healthily).  That meant she had to leave promptly this afternoon, so it was nearly dinner time by the time we returned home.  I began the afternoon by running Celia into Hessle (she waked home afterwards, for some fresh air).  Then I addressed the valve of the hall radiator, which was stuck.  I needed my stillsons (they seem to be called water pump wrenches these days) to free it, but I noticed a wet patch on our nice new wooden flooring.  I mopped it up and put a small container under the valve.  I then transferred the knob to the other valve and that seemed to work OK.  Iíve checked back and the leak seems to have gone away, but Iíll leave the container there for a day or two to be on the safe side.

Then I went to the potting shed to chit my seed potatoes.  They turned out to be very large.  They were in the 2kg packs that I normally buy, but instead of the expected 25 to 30 per pack, there were only 20.  However, given that they look nice, healthy plants, I hope they will be sufficient.  Then It was down to the Train Shed.

I began with another operating session and everything ran pretty well.  Hereís B17 61664, Liverpool, waiting for the Right Away at Platform 3 with the 10.33am for Norwich (Thorpe).

Once the operating session was over, I did a little more on the low-relief houses.  I glazed all the door lights and then carried on hanging curtains.  These were from a new printing that I did this morning to make them slightly longer (five feet drop instead of four).  I finished the first of the three house fronts, so only two to go before I fix the walls to the carcasses.

I also spent some more time during the day working on the Silhouette software and I now have pretty well finished all the design work for the farmhouse.  So now itís a question of buying a machine for real and seeing how I get on.  If I can make anything half as good as @RogerB, I will be extremely pleased.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158%