!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 231317 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3720 on: November 19, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, chaps.  The only problem is that the continuation of the wall would have to straddle sloping ground, which might be a bit of a problem.  However, with a slight dog-leg, I could continue it along the top level round as far as the farm track.  After that, I think it would have to be fencing.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3721 on: November 20, 2019, 06:41:12 PM »
Today was a bit different.  We went on a visit to Drax, organised by the Yorkshire and Humberside Region (YAHR) of U3A.

We were there for about two and a half hours and it was very informative.  We took rolls baps to eat in the car at the end of the visit and returned home in the early afternoon.  Because we had to leave early, there was no chance of a visit to the Train Shed before we set off.  In the afternoon, I took the opportunity to cut the grass for final time before winter sets in.  It was still pretty wet but, after a couple of dry days, I judged that it was about as dry as it would get at this time of year.  When I went in to make a cup of tea, this little chap arrived.

I have parked it temporarily in Platform 1 with some other empty carriages, but it will eventually replace the restaurant car behind 45571, Eire, which doesnít have a kitchen car.  I have ordered another one in chocolate and cream.  That will replace the buffet car next to the restaurant car behind Tiverton Castle and its buffet car will replace the one behind Cranmore Hall with the maroon strip along the top.  That should see the completion of all the express passenger trains, at least for the moment.

When I arrived in the Train Shed, I made the final section of wall to run along the top of the sloping drop down to the far end of the goods depot.  I think it needs a small section to connect it to the previous section as a wedge between them.

I donít think the dry stone wall would be appropriate for the farm drive ramp down to the baseboard level.  Perhaps some farm-type three-rail fencing might be the answer.

Once again, I need to get a feel for things before progressing.  Meanwhile, I need to think about the ramp from the station yard down to the goods yard.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3722 on: November 21, 2019, 05:15:20 PM »
Tomorrow, we have to go to Leeds, so today I started on some of my weekly chores.  I also had quite a bit to do for U3A, so it wasnít until the afternoon that I got down to the Train Shed.  During the morning the final buffet car arrived.

When I arrived in the Train Shed, I decided to begin with an operating session, which went pretty well and satisfied my need to watch trains for a bit.  Then I set about the final piece of wall, the connecting section between the last length along the back of the goods depot and the final section that runs along the top of the slope to the start of the farm track ramp.

Iím afraid that there is a lot of camera shake on the picture, but I hope you get the idea.  After that, I thought I would experiment with the sheep.  I have quite a few sheep, but they all look too small.  So, a few weeks ago, I ordered a pack of sheep from Langley Models and I have place a couple of them in the field with some of the original ones. 

They look much more like the correct size and make the others look much too small.  So I think the original ones will have to go.  Finally, I began work on the ramp from the station yard down to the goods yard.  I think there will be some coal staithes in the yard at the bottom of the ramp.

So, in the end, I did manage to get quite a lot done in a compressed session.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3723 on: November 21, 2019, 05:38:25 PM »
Just call the little sheep 'lambs'.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #3724 on: November 21, 2019, 08:34:14 PM »
They look much more like the correct size and make the others look much too small.  So I think the original ones will have to go.

Laurence, matching N Scale from different sources is an ongoing issue with me, and even from the same manufacturer, it seems to be a problem. I can't take myself back in time to place items side by side, and I'm not competent to compare scale accuracy. However, I have some Oxford N scale vehicles that just don't look right side by side! I don't think I'm going to choose which are accurate and toss the others away, however! I may just put them in different fields! :)

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3725 on: November 22, 2019, 07:07:17 PM »
We went off to Leeds today, so there was no visit to the Train Shed.  However, we had a good trip, first on a 144 (good old fashioned rail-bus) to Hull then on a very smooth 185 to and from Leeds, with the final journey on a 142 back from Hull to Hessle.  But while we were waiting for our return train at Leeds (formally Leeds City) an 802 arrived at out platform, bound for Liverpool (Lime Street).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_802

They are electro-diesel, but can run on overhead lines and then switch onto diesel power when the overhead supply terminates, without stopping.  The pantograph simply retracts.  Iím not sure what the mechanism is, possible the driver can switch to diesel operation before the end of the overhead wires.  I remember the early electro-diesels that ran from Watford Junction down through Earls Court.  They had to stop for about five minutes to change over from overhead power to diesel and vice versa.  These seem to be a much improved model and Hull trains should be able to use them soon to take advantage of the overhead power once they reach the East Coast Mainline.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3726 on: November 23, 2019, 07:18:54 PM »
It was another wet day today.  We went into Hessle in the car and then we had quite a few errands to run during the morning.  We were home for coffee and then, after that, I spent a chunk of the day fiddling around with the MuseScore application to produce the sheet music for the U3A Christmas Dinner in a couple of weeks.  I had to get the words onto the sheet and the ukulele chords, plus a text box for the last refrain.  It was all new learning for me but, eventually, I managed to get it sorted.

Much later in the afternoon, after a cup of tea, I did eventually get down to the Train Shed.  I began with a running session, which helped to maintain my sanity.  Then I had a look at the sheep problem again.  I removed all the undersized sheep from the field behind the farmhouse and drilled some small holes for the new Langley models sheep.  They need holes drilling because each one has a spigot to support it.

Then I moved all the tiny sheep down to the field at the other end of the station board, to the field next to the tiny cows.

Not much will happen tomorrow because we are off to Solihull to the MS Christmas lunch.  Iíll see what I can post.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3727 on: November 23, 2019, 08:12:12 PM »
You are, indeed, a good Shepherd.

Well done with the sheet music. :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #3728 on: November 23, 2019, 11:31:55 PM »
Regarding the sheep why not put the small ones at the back, so they look far away. Apart from that your getting there.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3729 on: November 24, 2019, 06:28:42 AM »
Regarding the sheep why not put the small ones at the back, so they look far away. Apart from that your getting there.
I might just get rid of them, like lambs to the slaughter.  To mis-quote: "The lambs are going out all over Europe".
With kind regards
Laurence

Online chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3730 on: November 24, 2019, 08:28:44 AM »
Why get rid of them? Why are they a problem? Sheep grow.

I am going to look for evidence which supports their continuing existence.

Here sheepy, sheepy. Come to Daddy. :goggleeyes:

Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3731 on: November 24, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »

The sheep (?goats) here look the same but are not the same size. Although the 2 rear sheep are further away, they are not so far that their smallness can be attributed to distance. They DO look smaller. Ergo, sheep are not all the same size.

I think, Laurence, that you look to this for inspiration with regard to your sheep:

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #3732 on: November 24, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »
It's all to do with the tail ... Sheep tails point downward while goat tails point skyward!  :o

Cheer  :beers:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3733 on: November 24, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »
Well, here we are safely ensconced in Solihull.  There was no visit to the Train Shed before we left.  I will not be able to visit the Train Shed again until Tuesday afternoon.  Iím glad I have sheep on the layout and not goats.  If youíve ever stroked a billy goat, you will know it can take weeks to get rid of the smell on your hand.  Fortunately, sheep donít seem to have that problem.

While I am here, I thought I would have a go at making a new video from all the bits of film clips that I made for the train spotting videos.  So I may be able to post a video tomorrow.  Also, we are planning a train trip into Moor Street tomorrow after the MS Christmas lunch.  So I may be able to get one or two pictures of real trains.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards